re meat pies

21 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

We used to have a big meat and veg pie with pastry on the top with a blackbird with an open mouth, in the middle.

Marion, I have my grandmother's blackbird somewhere in one of my kitchen cupboards. 

Leigh

5 hours ago, possum52 said:

Marion, I have my grandmother's blackbird somewhere in one of my kitchen cupboards. 

Leigh

Do you feed it Leigh? Aftter 70 years it would be a peckish 🦅 lol

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Do you feed it Leigh? Aftter 70 years it would be a peckish 🦅 lol

No need to, it is so old it has turned in a ceramic blackbird. Probably it is older than 70 Les. 

Leigh

Edited by possum52
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No pie but Les should recognize these dishes:

20210423_131440.jpg

Got me stumped Julie, I thought the Sandbar Degustation but portion sizes too large, then I thought Catalina Golf Club, but you both had Steaks. Looks rather Indian to me, Kohlis, Batemans Bay? 

Edited by NSWP

Oh no.  My daughter just emailed me "Its gone".  Our favourite pie shop!!  New highway bypasses this little town on the river.  Council built a lovely playground and Information Centre, but it mustn't have been enough to entise people to visit off the freeway (en route to Grafton).

39 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Oh no.  My daughter just emailed me "Its gone".  Our favourite pie shop!!  New highway bypasses this little town on the river.  Council built a lovely playground and Information Centre, but it mustn't have been enough to entise people to visit off the freeway (en route to Grafton).

Frederickton - Fredos pies? Indeed Kempsey-Frederickton Bypass is open now,  the pie place is still there according to their book of faces page, it changed ownership a couple of years ago but still Fredos. A couple of the local hwy servos also stock Fredos. Unless it closed very recently.

Edited by NSWP

23 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Frederickton - Fredos pies? Indeed Kempsey-Frederickton Bypass is open now,  the pie place is still there according to their book of faces page, it changed ownership a couple of years ago but still Fredos. A couple of the local hwy servos also stock Fredos. Unless it closed very recently.

It is Woodburn at turn off to Evans Head.  My daughter has bought some pies from opposition which weren't as good, so we will wait and see.  The pies were so good we used to buy them each way!!

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Got me stumped Julie, I thought the Sandbar Degustation but portion sizes too large, then I thought Catalina Golf Club, but you both had Steaks. Looks rather Indian to me, Kohlis, Batemans Bay? 

Tapas at Encasa where we went for lunch. Garlic prawns at top, patatas brava in the middle, and salad. We also had the meatballs but they hadn't arrived when I took the photo. Those garlic prawns were seriously good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Tapas at Encasa where we went for lunch. Garlic prawns at top, patatas brava in the middle, and salad. We also had the meatballs but they hadn't arrived when I took the photo. Those garlic prawns were seriously good.

Should have known, the two restaurants at Lane Cove are still operating, Pachi the owner and family are still up at Burleigh Heads looking for a new restaurant venture, my son and his family were up there staying with him over easter. Yes great food at En Casa, i have only been there twice.

We're using our $25 vouchers at our favourite restaurants. The other week it was Via Napoli, today Encasa. Unfortunately last time I checked Sugarlane weren't accepting the vouchers so it might have to be Masala Kitchen instead, or maybe crepes at Four Frogs.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're using our $25 vouchers at our favourite restaurants. The other week it was Via Napoli, today Encasa. Unfortunately last time I checked Sugarlane weren't accepting the vouchers so it might have to be Masala Kitchen instead, or maybe crepes at Four Frogs.

You have some excellent restaurants in Lane Cove, Via Napoli is really good. I never got to Sugarlane. Longy Hotel is good.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

You have some excellent restaurants in Lane Cove, Via Napoli is really good. I never got to Sugarlane. Longy Hotel is good.

You'll get to Sugarlane one day. If you're staying with your son and he's too busy to take you to Sugarlane just let me know, we'll happily go there with you.

Via Napoli put Lane Cove on the foodie map. People would come to Lane Cove from all over Sydney. It was crazy busy sometimes. It's quietened down a bit now that Luigi has opened a few more restaurants.

The relatively new fitout at the Longy is lovely. We've only been there once but it's now a place to dine at rather than just having a quick meak while being bombarded with sports on TVs.

• Like 1

So I have a safety alert for my friends down under. Tonight my lovely wife had a hair appointment which required us to stay in town after work. Well we are not able to eat in at restaurants at this time and frankly drive thru burgers are getting old. I decided to go to the local super market, as it turns out their hot food selection is poor compared to many closer to home. There were some nice looking meat pies so I picked up a couple because it was something other than burgers 😟. It's sure a good thing I have not mastered the art of hand eating a pie because the pillock that made these only put the crust on top. If I would have flipped the pie out I would have had had full of goo. The funny thing is both pies were quite tasty. So to my friends down under beware some cheap pie purveyors in Canada are not actually making pies but pots of stew with pastry on top🤔

• Haha 2

To me a hot pot is more of a stew, and what Lyle describes I’d classify as a pot pie.

Different terms different places, like the first time I saw a US menu, no main course offered just appetiser, entre and desert.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Julie I always wondered what "hot pot" was.

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

To me a hot pot is more of a stew, and what Lyle describes I’d classify as a pot pie.

Different terms different places, like the first time I saw a US menu, no main course offered just appetiser, entre and desert.

You have to be so careful in the US.  I've been caught out too many times to remember.  In Louisiana I was excited to see a sign for hot pies.  It was in a cafe.  Imagine your surprise when we were served a "boiled pie".  

Some restaurants in pubs and club here make their pie in a small oven proof bowl, rameken,? Filling normally goohey, like a hot pot or casserole, yes.  No bottom pastry and  put a pastry lid on top.  Knife, fork and spoon job.

46 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

As you can see by this Mr. Gut personal sized pie from Costco as you can see from the label it is referred to as "Chicken Pot pie" and it has both crusts.1385233688_Costcopie2.thumb.jpg.903b6ac63bbd092a61351fa38f86c8a5.jpg

$10 is a fair price. You would feed a family of 4 on that, or as you say, Mr Gut's pie for one.

Does Costco in Australia stock pies like this? I have never been into a Costco, nearest one to me is in Canberra, 2 hrs away. I need to get out more, Woollies, Aldi and Iga are my shops.

Edited by NSWP

55 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

You have to be so careful in the US.  I've been caught out too many times to remember.  In Louisiana I was excited to see a sign for hot pies.  It was in a cafe.  Imagine your surprise when we were served a "boiled pie".  

Language and accents separate us.

A friend was travelling in a southern state. Ordered coffee, but did not want black. So he asked, using our terminology, for a small amount of milk.

The waitress looked at him perplexed. “Honey, I’ve heard of sour cream, but I’ve never heard of bitter milk”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1