Where is Liberty and How are Things On board?

Oh really...all their announcements have indicated to WAIT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE to proceed to Galveston.

Yet more misinformation posted. All someone has to do is read a few posts back (mt82) and see the official word from Royal Caribbean, which totally contradicts your claim.

To proceed to the port, yes. But if I were coming from out of state to board the ship in 22 hours I'd be making my way into a weather disaster anywhere within a few hundred miles including Houston.

To proceed to the port, yes. But if I were coming from out of state to board the ship in 22 hours I'd be making my way into a weather disaster anywhere within a few hundred miles including Houston.

Which is probably why many airlines are also cancelling flights to that general area...for the NEXT 5 DAYS.

Here's Delta's website announcement alone (which also goes out via email and tec messages to booked flyers) for that part of the country:CANE HARVEY

Hurricane Harvey may impact travel to/from/through the cities below. Check flight status frequently for up-to-the-minute info about your flight plans, or get updates sent directly to your mobile device or by email with One Time Flight Notification.

RESCHEDULING FLIGHTS

If you wish to cancel your trip as a result of a flight cancellation or significant delay (90 minutes or more), you are entitled to a refund for the unused portion of your ticket. Even if your flight is not canceled, you may make a one-time change to your ticket without fee if you are scheduled to travel to, from, or through the following destination(s) on Delta, Delta Connection®, or Delta-coded flights during the specified time periods listed below.

You can now edit your itinerary on Delta.com to make changes to your itinerary. Additional collection in fares may apply. See Conditions & Restrictions below.

AFFECTED CITIES (TO / FROM / THROUGH) IMPACTED TRAVEL DATE(S)

TICKET MUST BE REISSUED ON OR BEFORE REBOOKED TRAVEL MUST BEGIN NO LATER THAN 8/31/17.

Austin, TX (AUS)

Houston, TX – Hobby (HOU)

Houston, TX - Intercontinental (IAH)

San Antonio, TX (SAT)

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

Agreed. Even when we drive down from DFW we would normally be checking in to our hotel by now.

Which is probably why many airlines are also cancelling flights to that general area...for the NEXT 5 DAYS.

Exactly! All the airlines and Carnival are offering to reschedule for free (and the airlines do it even if the flight hasn't been canceled or delayed!). Why can't RCI do it? I have yet to hear of a good reason.

Carnival, operating under same conditions, communicated clearly and gave options that showed they value their guests. I'd rather err on the side of caution; even if things turn out fine and I was wrong I would still be right. You are basically telling me Royal is prioritizing people's insurance over their safety. Even if they turn out to be right they are still wrong! Expecting clear communication and respect for paying guests is not a narrow minded point of view. I thought they learned from Anthem debacle about communication

Exactly! All the airlines and Carnival are offering to reschedule for free (and the airlines do it even if the flight hasn't been canceled or delayed!). Why can't RCI do it? I have yet to hear of a good reason.

I would suspect one reason is because the airlines do it frequently have a streamlined process...whereas it's less frequent with cruises so the process is more methodical. Another reason might be that airlines measure changes in minutes in minutes and hours...whereas a cruise is likely impacted for hours or days. Surely there is a procedure in place...but it would come as little surprise if later today all passengers on board know exactly what comes next (if not already).

It would be interesting to get an update from someone onboard in contrast to us armchair quarterbacks.

I would suspect one reason is because the airlines do it frequently have a streamlined process...whereas it's less frequent with cruises so the process is more methodical. Another reason might be that airlines measure changes in minutes in minutes and hours...whereas a cruise is likely impacted for hours or days. Surely there is a procedure in place...but it would come as little surprise if later today all passengers on board know exactly what comes next (if not already).

It would be interesting to get an update from someone onboard in contrast to us armchair quarterbacks.

Sounds, then, like an internal process improvement issue at RCI that Carnival has solved. I have never sailed Carnival and probably never will, but I respect their customer service!

Sounds, then, like an internal process improvement issue at RCI that Carnival has solved. I have never sailed Carnival and probably never will, but I respect their customer service!

I need to get you connected with my brother...who has sailed Carnival twice. He has plenty of non-customer-service tales to tell about that outfit. And that doesn't even count those multiple "stranded at sea" news stories based on poor ship maintenance...but I digress. In this case, one would at least have to say they were quicker to make their decision on how to handle this specific situation. If Royal still handles things "right"...people should/will be made "whole"...given this terrible hurricane (which isn't over yet either).

Royal is taking care of things. We've heard from someone on the ship that they are good and the weather is fine where they are. Just because Royal hasn't made a definitive statement like Carnival doesn't mean people on the ship are in peril. They are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have friends on board. They have been told there will be a conference call between RCI main office and the port authority in Galveston at 7:30 PM. Apparently RCI is trying to talk the port authority into opening the port long enough tomorrow to let LB in. RCI recently sent a notice to passengers NOT to proceed to the port until RCI gives the go ahead that it is safe to do so. Supposedly, whether to go or not will be announced at 9 PM tonight. We were booked on this cruise but cancelled. Fortunately, the ship's travel insurance includes a "cancel for any reason" clause. We should get 75% of non-refundable fare, which at this point is all, back. We will see. And as we all know, RCI can change all this if they want.

Capt Kevin Oditt of the USCG just said that Royal has made alternative plans for the Liberty, just now on a live FOX news update.

FOX is always fake news!:halo:

FOX just broadcasted Capt Obitts news conference.

Your reply was NOT FAIR AND BALANCED :eek:

Edited by Ocean Dancer

I am on Liberty. They are giving us free phone calls and we also had 30 minutes of Internet. I am packing my bags to get off in the morning. We may not, but since I don't know I am getting prepared to head home. I am sure they will notify us as soon as they know. They are wanting to get this ship in the port.

It was the local Fox affiliate, not Fox News. Otherwise it would not have been on in my house ;)

He said he believes RC has made alternate plans in case they can't get in to Galveston but didn't go further than that.

The port says it's parking areas are not flooded and the roads are passable so that people can retrieve their cars. The Web page also lists hotels in the area with reduced rates for passengers who are stuck there.

Good luck to everyone.

It was the local Fox affiliate, not Fox News. Otherwise it would not have been on in my house ;)

He said he believes RC has made alternate plans in case they can't get in to Galveston but didn't go further than that.

Guess you watch "One America News" :D