holding a sloth

Taking grandkids next year. Granddaughter wants to hold a sloth and play with it (if there is such a thing as playing). We will be in Belize, Cozumel, and Mahogany Bay. We have been to Viictor Bodden's and I know he has a sloth, but I think it is in a cage and you don't touch it. Thanks

Sloths are primate wild animals. They are not like monkeys. They are not pets. You don't play with them. Buy her a stuffed sloth to play with. There may be opportunities to hold one in the port area but you shouldn't do that as this is abuse and exploitation. Much like the tigers in cabo and ensenada.

Edited by joeyancho
  • Like 1

daniel johnsons monkey and sloth hang out, look him up on face___book. send a message through the facebook page and he will get back to you. for 20# they will pick you up outside the port and take you to the sanctuary, you get to hold the sloth, you can take as many pictures as you want, you also get to go in a cage with a bunch of tiny monkeys, they will climb on you and you can get more great pictures. If you want to pay 10$ more yo get an island tour, then the sanctuary then they will take you to a resort where you can hang out on their gorgeous beach, it is a breathtaking lagoon with not waves and undertow. then take you to the port. if you dont want to do the beach you can still do the island tour then they will take you back to the port. If you do the tour I suggest you ask for Emma to be your driver, she was really great. Your grand daughter will love it. I have done this tour 2 times in the last 8 months.

Sloths are wild animals. Wild animals are unpredictable and can be dangerous.

My son wanted to drive the car when he was four, but I didn't let him.

I can try and post a picture of my daughter's arm and you can see the large scar left after she was bitten by a vervet monkey when we were doing volunteer work in Africa (she was not holding it). If you have any doubts about the wisdom of holding a wild animal, that might dissuade you.

Read here:

http://www.slothsanctuary.com/2013/01/hugging-sloths/

We had a great time with Daniel Johnson's team. We were picked up from the port [just my husband, my daughter and myself] and our driver showed us around the island and told us a lot of interesting things. We spent quite a bit of time at the sanctuary, and saw parrots [which we were able to hold] and several unusual animals native to the island. Then we entered a cage with adolescent capuchin monkeys who jumped and climbed all over us, looking in pockets and down the front of tshirts! Finally, we were able to hold a sloth. It was awesome! Yes, I know sloths are wild animals and should not be exploited or made into tourist exhibits, but....Daniel's sloths are rescues, and he gives them safety.

After our time at the sanctuary, our driver returned us to the port. He offered to take us to a beach, or to a restaurant for lunch, but we didn't want those options. It didn't feel like he was trying to get us somewhere to spend money with his pre-approved people, as it sometimes can be. He just genuinely wanted to make sure we saw everything we wanted, and had a good day.

We had a private tour, in a newer model air-conditioned vehicle with a very enthusiastic driver/guide, we saw and held animals we would never encounter in our life at home, and we spent approx 4 hours for only $30 per person. A very good deal, and a very good day. Highly recommended.

Check out Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Sancuary on f/c/book...lots of pictures!

Taking grandkids next year. Granddaughter wants to hold a sloth and play with it (if there is such a thing as playing). We will be in Belize, Cozumel, and Mahogany Bay. We have been to Viictor Bodden's and I know he has a sloth, but I think it is in a cage and you don't touch it. Thanks

I posted this reply in response to a "swimming w the dolphins" question -

"Dolphins are very intelligent marine mammals. Did you ever think about whether they are given a choice as to whether they want to swim with you or if given a chance leave their watery cages and swim in the ocean with their family pods. I doubt that you have.

Imagine a very intelligent extraterrestrial civilization that comes to the earth to capture human specimens that they take back home to wherever they live. They keep the humans in cages so that tourists can stare at them and the really lucky ones get to go into the human cages so that the humans can be forced to do tricks and play with them. Do you think that you would enjoy that.

That is exactly what we are doing to the captive dolphins. "

Make minor changes in the wording and the same thought applies except that I would guess that sloths are probably less intelligent than dolphins.

DON

If you must, I would go to the sanctuary. those have been rescued from bad conditions and, due to the attempts to enslave them, they have lost their "wild" instincts and cannot be released into the wild. Hence, the special sanctuary where they can "play" wild while being taken care of. I would not go someplace where someone "has one in a cage" - that is cruel and only the most insensitive of tourist would enable that behavior.

As I said in another post, I had my heart broken when I visited the Sweetwaters Sanctuary in El Pajeto, Kenya. It is a Jane Goodall Institute supported facility for rescued chimpanzees. They give chimps who were in "caged", circuses, private ownership, tourist sites, a chance to be as wild and natural as they can within a large fenced area. So sad that their lives were ruined because of some human's need to hold, play, watch them...

On our cruise to the Panama Canal on the Celebrity Equinox we ported in Costa Rica and went to the Sloth Sanctuary using a private tour guide. A great day learning about this loving family who takes injured or orphaned animals of all sorts, especially sloths, and rehabilitates them. Most are able to be released back into the wild but there are some that cannot. We were able to hold young ones who would not be able to be released for one reason or another. The website is http://www.slothsanctuary.com

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with the posters that disagree on her holding a sloth, its not really beneficial for the animals. Its also a bit concerning that she wants to 'play' with it....animals are not toys.

Maybe use these as an opportunity to teach her about wild animals and how sometimes holding a cute fluffy thing can be detrimental.

Not necessariy relevant, but on our Amazon River Cruise a tour guide begged us to NOT pay children to take pictures with a baby sloth. The kids would steal the baby from its mother, keep it around until it died, and then go out and find another.

Being held by humans, especially unfamiliar tourists, causes a sloth distress, increases their heart rate, and is generally not a good experience for them. Be respectful of these and other wild animals, and don't do it.

Do unto others...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Being held by humans, especially unfamiliar tourists, causes a sloth distress, increases their heart rate, and is generally not a good experience for them. Be respectful of these and other wild animals, and don't do it.

Do unto others...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Do you have scientific evidence for this or is it an opinion having no factual basis. My experience is exactly the opposite. Both the sloth and I found it a very enjoyable and calming experience and I encourage all to do this!

Do you have scientific evidence for this or is it an opinion having no factual basis. My experience is exactly the opposite. Both the sloth and I found it a very enjoyable and calming experience and I encourage all to do this!

Anthropomorphism at its finest. Don't hold wild animals.

http://www.slothsanctuary.com/2013/01/hugging-sloths/