Oceania Losing Ground - Just Back From Marina

californiacruiseluvrs

As a quick clarification, adult beverage drink service was very good to excellent in all venues except the Terrace. There, it didn’t even rate as marginal! This poor service, in that venue, seemingly existed for the entire cruise. We heard numerous comments along the way like “ We get our glass of beer or wine in Waves or Martinis and take it to the Terrace because we can’t get service there!” IMO, the problem was the complete lack of staff, in that venue, that would take drink orders and deliver it. We received excellent wine service in all other venues. 

For us the remedy was simple. The Terrace is for Teatotallers, the ship has other excellent options, avoid the Terrace. Quite a few fellow guests weren’t happy with that remedy. Our mid cruise review was explicit with examples on this issue and the onboard staff opted not to respond . I believe staffing levels are determined in Miami and this issue is a result of decisions made there with the ship’s crew unable to respond to the consequences.

16 hours ago, xeena said:

we were on the rivera and the PH was huge...walk-in closet!  super bathroom! large balcony....and a butler to boot!

A wonderful cabin.   Bigger than most other ships. 

17 hours ago, srdancer said:

We haven't been in a PH on the Marina nor have we been in the equivalent on Celebrity.  We have been on the Marina twice in B1 balcony cabins.  I am surprised to hear that the PH is comparatively small. The OV cabins and balcony cabins up though Concierge are 240 square feet on the Marina, not including the balcony. This is significantly larger than the equivalent cabins on Celebrity (and on RC as well). So I am surprised about the PH size. Oceania's latest brochure has PH as 420 square feet, including the balcony. How large is the equivalent level cabin on Celebrity?

That's one of the reasons I'm shaking my head here. 420sq is big. Larger than the Sky Suites on Celebrity @300 sqft,  Princess Mini Suite 323sqft & RCL Junior Suites at 290 sqft. I have no idea what level suites the OP(Dreena post) was comparing to the PH on Oceania but those are the ones that are comparable on the other lines. Perhaps they thought the PH was the top suite like it is on Celebrity. 

Edited by ORV

18 hours ago, pinotlover said:

For us the remedy was simple. The Terrace is for Teatotallers, the ship has other excellent options, avoid the Terrace. Quite a few fellow guests weren’t happy with that remedy. Our mid cruise review was explicit with examples on this issue and the onboard staff opted not to respond . I believe staffing levels are determined in Miami and this issue is a result of decisions made there with the ship’s crew unable to respond to the consequences.

We spent 21 days last year cruising South America and never had dinner in The Terrace. The drink service for lunch was almost non existent but if I wanted a beer, I had no problem getting some ones attention. Anyway, we will sail with Oceania again as we like what it offers, not for everyone, BUT it's right with us.

Edited by St Paul Girl
spelling

3 hours ago, St Paul Girl said:

We spent 21 days last year cruising South America and never had dinner in The Terrace. The drink service for lunch was almost non existent but if I wanted a beer, I had no problem getting some ones attention. Anyway, we will sail with Oceania again as we like what it offers, not for everyone, BUT it's right with us.

I have been reading all of these reviews and I am not sure what everyone is doing wrong. I have sailed with Oceania since 2011 and purchased the premium beverage package on every cruise except in 2011, which was a wine cruie. I never have a problem getting a drink in any bar or dining venue, Terraces included. When I sit down I always ask for the Sommelier and I not only order my drink, but I introduce myself and engage both the sommelier and the head waiter so that they understand my needs and wants. As I told a first time Oceania cruiser in 2018, treat the staff like your friend and you will receive amazing service. 

James

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jamesnmphs said:

I have been reading all of these reviews and I am not sure what everyone is doing wrong. I have sailed with Oceania since 2011 and purchased the premium beverage package on every cruise except in 2011, which was a wine cruie. I never have a problem getting a drink in any bar or dining venue, Terraces included. When I sit down I always ask for the Sommelier and I not only order my drink, but I introduce myself and engage both the sommelier and the head waiter so that they understand my needs and wants. As I told a first time Oceania cruiser in 2018, treat the staff like your friend and you will receive amazing service. 

James

So you think it is the passenger's behavior that is resulting in the lack of attentive service in one venue on the Marina?

Edited by Sea42

I'm curious when the last time some of you cruised with Oceania? Over 20 cruises here with them and have only seen the situation recently. It also could have been a one off situation, but it was definitely a pattern. 

The Oceania Marina’s and Riviera’s PH Suites are out favorite suites for the money afloat.  And we enjoy all of the specialty restaurants, especially Jacques and Red Ginger, and La Reserve.

YMMV

On 2/25/2019 at 7:27 AM, Sea42 said:

So you think it is the passenger's behavior that is resulting in the lack of attentive service in one venue on the Marina?

In some cases, absolutely. On our last cruise, Miami - Buenos Aires aboard Sirena, we observed several passengers treating waitstaff like dogs. One couple were such jerks in the GDR that we asked to be moved to a table that was further away from them. Several other passengers did as well. The waitstaff couldn't do anything right as far as couple was concerned. Another couple blasted GDR maitre d' for not opening for breakfast early because they had an early shore excursion.

And then then was a party of three, a husband, wife and his mommy that walked around with a dark cloud over their heads. Again, in the GDR, "these scrambled eggs suck. That's not the way we get them back home. You call this bacon? It's crap! Take it away and bring me a baked potato! What do you mean I can't get a baked potato? I said I wanted a large orange juice. Pay attention. I paid big money for this cruise and expect excellent service." We felt so sorry for the waiter and head waiter bending over backwards trying to satisfy them. By the end of the first segment passengers had given the man a nickname - "Angry Man".

I could go on-and-on but some of the behavior was shocking. 

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

31 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

In some cases, absolutely. On our last cruise, Miami - Buenos Aires aboard Sirena, we observed several passengers treating waitstaff like dogs. One couple were such jerks in the GDR that we asked to be moved to a table that was further away from them. Several other passengers did as well. The waitstaff couldn't do anything right as far as couple was concerned. Another couple blasted GDR maitre d' for not opening for breakfast early because they had an early shore excursion.

And then then was a party of three, a husband, wife and his mommy that walked around with a dark cloud over their heads. Again, in the GDR, "these scrambled eggs suck. That's not the way we get them back home. You call this bacon? It's crap! Take it away and bring me a baked potato! What do you mean I can't get a baked potato? I said I wanted a large orange juice. Pay attention. I paid big money for this cruise and expect excellent service." We felt so sorry for the waiter and head waiter bending over backwards trying to satisfy them. By the end of the first segment passengers had given the man a nickname - "Angry Man".

I could go on-and-on but some of the behavior was shocking. 

That is awful behavior! But that is not what we were discussing here. I stated that we had slow or non-existent beverage service in one area, of one restaurant on the Marina. Others strongly implied that it was somehow our fault, along with "helpful" suggestion on how to be nice customers. That's insulting. We had wonderful service throughout the rest of the ship. I can assure you we didn't turn into tyrants when we went to the Terrace.

• Like 2

Just now, Sea42 said:

I stated that we had slow or non-existent beverage service in one area, of one restaurant on the Marina.

if  speaking to  the restaurant manager did not improve the service  speaking to the GM  should have

I find the service  hit or miss  lately  generally  it is fine  

We were not ordering drinks so if the food service  is not up to snuff I can only imagine  what  the bar service  is like  with less staff for that service

Sea42;

I echoed the same complaints. We had excellent service on the Marina everywhere except beverage service in the Terrace. It was non existent. The Cheerleaders can handle nothing but absolute praise, therefore the fault lies with all the guests wanting a beer or glass of wine in that venue!

There will always be rude guests which is unfortunate, however that is not the issue in the Terrace on the Marina. Lack of staffing is the issue!

• Like 1

No way I'm a cheerleader. The wine service the first two nights in GDR was non-existent. We didn't rant. We simply smiled when we were finally served and said "thank-you, come back soon". There were only three sommeliers in GDR that night. It wasn't their fault so why blast them? We did talk to the restaurant manager and the problem was solved by simply having more sommeliers the next night.  

2 hours ago, Sea42 said:

That is awful behavior! But that is not what we were discussing here. I stated that we had slow or non-existent beverage service in one area, of one restaurant on the Marina. Others strongly implied that it was somehow our fault, along with "helpful" suggestion on how to be nice customers. That's insulting. We had wonderful service throughout the rest of the ship. I can assure you we didn't turn into tyrants when we went to the Terrace.

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Sea42;

I echoed the same complaints. We had excellent service on the Marina everywhere except beverage service in the Terrace. It was non existent. The Cheerleaders can handle nothing but absolute praise, therefore the fault lies with all the guests wanting a beer or glass of wine in that venue!

There will always be rude guests which is unfortunate, however that is not the issue in the Terrace on the Marina. Lack of staffing is the issue!

I think what's happening is the few servers that they do have are taking care of those that have "had their talk" with the wine servers and understand that they are very important. They don't have time for those of us that quietly follow the guidelines and set our card face up on the table. 

To those questioning beverage service in the Terrace.

It may not be relevant, since I very rarely drink beer, wine and other hard beverages there, but one possibly explanation come to mind for service issues.  If memory serves me correctly, a beverage station is only near the entrance/exit door on the port side.  If I am correct then anyone seated on the starboard may find service slower for that reason only.  I am not sure if beer and wine come from there, but, if not, it may come from even further away. 

This being said, it often appears that servers for these beverages may be under-staffed.  I will note that the table waiters and waitresses often ask about coffee, tea and fruit juices (including refills).  (when Terrace is busy, I just get them myself).

Perhaps a little table sign (such as used to get Waves sandwiches, etc into the correct Terrace table} should be considered.

On 8/27/2017 at 12:33 PM, baggal said:

I'm new to Oceania with my first cruise on the Insignia in December. I'm wondering what you mean by your last two sentences regarding "clientele/time of year/differences." Could you explain to someone not familiar with Oceania?

Would like clarification as well as my first cruise is on Riveria in November. I realize this a post from approximately 18 months ago. Would just like to know that my fellow passengers aren’t confusing Oceania with Carnival. 😉

Edited by Straughn

On 8/28/2017 at 3:29 PM, roothy123 said:

I didn't read all the comments, but got as far as the reviewer's and maybe 5 or 6 comments.

Everyone's different, but I agree that drinks should remain as is. I have on occasion priced out Regent and Crystal just out of curiosity, but the all-inclusive lines are not worthwhile for me, or for my husband, since we rarely drink, and don't do many ship's excursions.

I agree that Viking Oceans and Oceania are similar quality, although I really don't have a favorite. If I had to pick a favorite, I would pick Oceania, but more because of the value and price than the service or food. I love both lines, after sailing on Viking Oceans twice now and Oceania quite a bit. My last cruise on O (on Marina) was last year and while it's been a while, I can't imagine that it has changed much.

Everyone complains about the excursions; Viking gets its share of complaints. I'm grateful to have excursions offered by the ship as an easy way to arrange outings, and once in a while, they're the only game in town, so I'm especially grateful for them on those occasions! But most cruisers know that it's often better to plan and book your own excursion, even if you have a pay a little more for it. I personally like the O Life choice because I can use the free excursions and then book my own excursions (or just wander, rent a car, or whatever) the rest of the time.

I don't care about the personality or accessibility of the Captain. People rave about a Captain on an Azamara ship who slings hamburgers with the crew. I could care less. I don't even really want to be called "Mr. X" all the time by the room steward and assistant. As long as people are polite and do their jobs, that's good enough for me. By the way, the quickness with which our room is cleaned (how fast they get to it after we leave) always amazes me - and often we've been in an inside cabin, so it has nothing to do with cabin category.

So I don't think it's necessary to bash the original poster or anything, because, yes, everyone's different. I DO enjoy reading about the experiences of others. However, I did want to put in my two cents' worth here. I guess to sum it up, for the price Oceania charges, it provides an excellent experience. Those who are first timers, don't worry - you'll likely have a great time.

Problem is that Oceania's non all inclusive pricing has gotten so high that it is easily beaten (for example) by Crystal in terms of overall value..that is, for nearly the same cruise price, Crystal provides a nearly all inclusive experience. Also, as Oceania prides itself on being non all inclusive, they really rob you on what is not included,such as tours and ridiculous pricing on alchoholic beverages which feature a very weak pour. Even charging to print by the page which not even many mainstream cruiselines do and charging to use laundry machines, Oceania presents a very callous image when it comes to presenting an image of fair value for what is provided to guests.

1 hour ago, edgee said:

Problem is that Oceania's non all inclusive pricing has gotten so high that it is easily beaten (for example) by Crystal in terms of overall value..that is, for nearly the same cruise price, Crystal provides a nearly all inclusive experience.

Not in my experience. I did a very long and comprehensive comparison of MY experience and comparison of these 2 lines, including price here (post #28):

I realize that prices can vary from cruise to cruise on both lines, deals from TAs, etc but the price and value was not even close for me based on this experience.

As always, YMMV.

PS The fact that we do not drink and included drinks on Crystal are a non factor is part of this conclusion.

Edited by Paulchili

No such thing as a “ one size fits all “ calculation. Non drinkers have different math from those that imbibe. The Terrace is for Teatotallers, Teatotaller perceptions of service in the Terrace can understandably be totally different from those that might like an adult beverage ( beer or wine) with their meal. Does a drinks package have value if you can’t get a drink? 

Quality of any given ship’s tour can truly be in the eye of the beholder. If I sign up for a five (5) hour tour that is supposed to see A-G and only make it through D, I’m upset. Others are perfectly happy as long as the tour gets them back to the ship under 4 hrs and 59 minutes. Missing E-G is inconsequential for them.

We all do our own math.

Edited by pinotlover

15 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Not in my experience. I did a very long and comprehensive comparison of MY experience and comparison of these 2 lines, including price here (post #28):

I realize that prices can vary from cruise to cruise on both lines, deals from TAs, etc but the price and value was not even close for me based on this experience.

As always, YMMV.

PS The fact that we do not drink and included drinks on Crystal are a non factor is part of this conclusion.

I respect your opinion/fact gathering. I did some comparison on some Caribbean cruises over the past year and came to a different conclusion. Some of my view is based on those calculations, but I also realize that Crystal can sometimes get quite pricey for certain itineraries. I was also highlighting in my post some irritation at Oceania pricing on their non-included items which makes me feel like I am really being ripped off...eg. $24 for a Bailey's on the rocks and pricing way high for even the most basic shore excursions that both the mainstream cruise lines and Crystal charge much less.

For those of us who choose NOT to get a drink package (because it isn't cost effective for us) and tend to do more private tours than ship's tours, we're fine with not being all-inclusive.

On the rare occasion when we go to a bar we aren't ordering a $24 Bailey's on the rocks, so that doesn't matter to us either!

There are still many people who do prefer to "pay as you go".

Mura

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, edgee said:

I respect your opinion/fact gathering. I did some comparison on some Caribbean cruises over the past year and came to a different conclusion. Some of my view is based on those calculations, but I also realize that Crystal can sometimes get quite pricey for certain itineraries. I was also highlighting in my post some irritation at Oceania pricing on their non-included items which makes me feel like I am really being ripped off...eg. $24 for a Bailey's on the rocks and pricing way high for even the most basic shore excursions that both the mainstream cruise lines and Crystal charge much less.

I agree that calculations and experiences figure differently for people based on their preferences and choices. My husband and I are now considering a 21 day cruise with NCL (Arabian Odyssey) on the Jade beginning in Rome and ending in Dubai. I did a line by line comparison of our recent 12 day cruise with Oceania and factored in any added costs not provided by NCL (i.e., Internet beyond the 250 minutes provided by NCL; speciality coffees) as well as subtracted costs provided by NCL that were not provided by Oceania (i.e., alcohol). Our stateroom choice is comparable (junior suite) and we are provided with 5 speciality dining room dinners for each of us as was the case with Oceania. Dollar for dollar, the 21 day cruise with NCL is approximately $750 cheaper than the 12 day cruise with Oceania. We also get $50 off excursions which overall run a lot cheaper than Oceania. 

Our attraction to this NCL cruise is its itinerary since few cruise lines offer port stops within Egypt (most just cross the Suez Canal without a stop). Our attraction to our recent Oceania cruise was also its itinerary (French Polynesia) which are limited with cruise lines. I have checked NCL's menus that are posted online, as well as their fitness room info, photos of the staterooms and other parts of the ship. Since the cruise is scheduled for November 2019, I don't expect there will be many children onboard. All things considered, this cruise looks promising.