Hurricane Irma Watch

Would like to know where you are getting your info, the links provided will not open for me....am on Harmony hoping to be back sat am, fly home to Tampa, or not?....thank you.

Not sure what the policy is for external links. But most of that info is available from the National Hurricane Center in their regular updates. That should be easily accessible via google.

Several sites show the latest model runs as they're released. The model data is incorporated into the NHC forecasts but the models give potentially useful info beyond the NHC five-day forecast window. Again googling "latest GFS model" and "latest ECMWF model" should find you those.

Right now there is a range of predictions from Sunday morning to Sunday night for U.S. landfall timing, but both models have it in the mid-keys at some point Sunday. From there both models have it coming up the state with slight variations East or West.

If that holds, I would imagine it will be hard to get into port on Sunday. Intensity forecasts also vary, with the Euro model projecting some interaction with Cuba that would weaken the storm and it being down to a Cat 2 by the time it reaches Central FL while the GFS projects a big Cat 5 and a major hurricane all the way up the state.

Obviously a weaker storm and more easterly track would be better for Tampa.

145912_most_likely_toa_34.png

I expect flights to stop on Saturday for central and south Florida.

I don't think you will see any flights on Sat and Fri will be limited at best. Once evac orders go up, probably tomorrow or Thurs at latest there will be no staff come Fri and Sat.

I'm really interested to see what RCL expert meteorologist James Van Fleet has to say regarding Irma. Cause this guy kept insisting until the very last moment that Liberty of the Seas will dock at Galveston as originally planned and the next cruise will go out as originally planned. Despite us here in Houston seeing the worst conditions this city ever faced.

I'm really interested to see what RCL expert meteorologist James Van Fleet has to say regarding Irma. Cause this guy kept insisting until the very last moment that Liberty of the Seas will dock at Galveston as originally planned and the next cruise will go out as originally planned. Despite us here in Houston seeing the worst conditions this city ever faced.

Statements like that are getting old

He has been telling people to expect a decision tomorrow (Wednesday). I think they have learned a lesson, plus there is obviously even more at risk here for them with them having so many more ships in the affected area.

We are planned to fly out of middle Tn on Thurs going into Tampa to meet cousins then drive to Ft Lauderdale to catch Harmony on Sat. I called southwest to see if any flights are or will be cancelled to Tampa and as of right now nothing has been cancelled, these are non refundable flights so I sure hope if Royal doesn't let us know anything before Sat for sure that the trip Ins will pay for the flights? this is so frustrating.

On the Allure at Cozumel. Weather is perfect. No one on the ship this morning that I spoke with is discussing Irma. Doubt we would try to make way for an early disembarkation Thursday but also can't imagine going to Falmouth and Labadee yet.

If the port is closed Sunday we will stick with the ship if an alternate final port is picked.

Only bad thing this entire cruise so far is the coffee. Worst coffee I've ever had on RCI. Not sure what beans they're using but it's pure dirt. Hurricane doesn't worry me but bad coffee does!

Thanks for the update from sea. That's an important indicator to the rest of us.

We are planned to fly out of middle Tn on Thurs going into Tampa to meet cousins then drive to Ft Lauderdale to catch Harmony on Sat. I called southwest to see if any flights are or will be cancelled to Tampa and as of right now nothing has been cancelled, these are non refundable flights so I sure hope if Royal doesn't let us know anything before Sat for sure that the trip Ins will pay for the flights? this is so frustrating.

At this point the projections don't show Irma near Florida on Thursday. If RCCL and airlines haven't cancelled anything you'll have to decide whether to potentially fly into a hurricane zone...... :loudcry:

Glad we use cruises for winter escapes. All we have to worry about is blizzards, and we always fly down 2-3 days early to have a cushion for that (and more so just to extend the vacation:p)

He has been telling people to expect a decision tomorrow (Wednesday). I think they have learned a lesson, plus there is obviously even more at risk here for them with them having so many more ships in the affected area.

JVF was pretty chatty yesterday on twitter. He's gone silent today. Probably the responsible thing to do, but I wouldn't mind some noise coming out of RCCL.

From southwest website

Change Your Reservation

New travel plans? No problem. If you booked online, you can easily change your flight online. Contact us if you have questions or need help changing travel not purchased on our site.

Cancel Your Reservation

We’re sad to see you go, but happy to help you cancel your flight. We even make it easy to apply the value of your ticket toward future travel online.

So unless you never plan to go again, you are probably ok

Hard to see any ships leaving this Sunday to be honest. I'm on the 09/10 Allure sailing.

What's usually protocol if Royal Caribbean cancels? I know they refund you, but would I be able to book another cruise for the same price I paid?

They often refund you and give a 25% off future cruise.

I would like some advice. Supposed to be flying into Miami 5:30am Friday morning, and out to San Juan at 7:30am. Airline says they are not foreseeing any issues with that since Irma will be far enough away from both at that time. I am however worried of ending up stuck in Miami after flying in. Am I worrying about that possibility for nothing? Would you consider trying to change your layover city (no direct flights from Denver to SJ)? Would you just trust the airline to do what is necessary?

I would like some advice. Supposed to be flying into Miami 5:30am Friday morning, and out to San Juan at 7:30am. Airline says they are not foreseeing any issues with that since Irma will be far enough away from both at that time. I am however worried of ending up stuck in Miami after flying in. Am I worrying about that possibility for nothing? Would you consider trying to change your layover city (no direct flights from Denver to SJ)? Would you just trust the airline to do what is necessary?

This is one case where I'd probably try to fly to Chicago or Atlanta and then non-stop to San Juan.