Stunning Footage St Maarten

ger_77

for all the people in the path of irma that is what a cat 5 storm will do. went through andrew in homestead thank god it did not hit miami or ft lauderdale. it would have been much worse. as it was we were without electricity or phone for 6 weeks.if they tell you to evacuate i really think you should. imho

MS Maasdam is scheduled out of Boston Sep 9 to sail to Fort Lauderdale on the 13th and then on to Panama Canal. I don't see how they can avoid, at a minimum, big seas. Boston travelers will probably be boarding planes tomorrow and Friday.

The problem is that we have not heard "Boo" from Holand America. Not even a "Stand by for more information." This is not good. I'm scheduled to board in FL.

In the age of communication, Holland America is not doing a good job. Is it this way with all lines?

MS Maasdam is scheduled out of Boston Sep 9 to sail to Fort Lauderdale on the 13th and then on to Panama Canal. I don't see how they can avoid, at a minimum, big seas. Boston travelers will probably be boarding planes tomorrow and Friday.

The problem is that we have not heard "Boo" from Holand America. Not even a "Stand by for more information." This is not good. I'm scheduled to board in FL.

In the age of communication, Holland America is not doing a good job. Is it this way with all lines?

I suspect Holland America is the least of your worries. Do you live in the area? Good luck if you do.

Royal Caribbean has done something definitive--They've shortened 2 weekend cruises that have been rescheduled now for September 12 and 13. If they feel confident setting those dates I would expect Maasdam to be fine. Bigger concerns are likely what your airline and hotel are doing.

Roy

According to News reports still coming in, 95% of the French side of St Maarten has been tottaly wiped out:( https://www.yahoo.com/news/scenes-destruction-irma-began-trickle-181522294.html

It is still early and more will be coming in from other Islands like Turks and Caicos and Florida in the direct path of this Cat 5 hurricane with 2 more following her:(

Please forgive any spelling, my fingers are shaking as I try to understand Mother Nature at her worst:(

EDITED TO ADD: Just found a video posted a few minutes ago on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-WDrsX-OTc

Joanie

At least in the United States, residents have the opportunity to move hundreds of miles inland to safer, higher ground. Those who live on the islands can only escape via air, really...boat travel would probably be only to another island in the storm's path. Escape is so much harder.

As an Antiguan native said on my local news last night...'we islanders are a resilient group...we will survive, we will go on'.

Praying for them all...

There's no question St. Maarten will require far more than just clean-up and repair to recover from this storm. It very likely will take years to rebuild and bring the place back to where it was, and it could even be quite a while before anything there gets back to anything resembling a daily routine.

How so you expect HAL to know how the seas are going to be six days from now? The forecasters are not even sure where either Irma or Jose are going.

There's no question St. Maarten will require far more than just clean-up and repair to recover from this storm. It very likely will take years to rebuild and bring the place back to where it was, and it could even be quite a while before anything there gets back to anything resembling a daily routine.

I am new to cruising. I have a cruise with Crystal booked in 8 weeks from now. It is scheduled to stop in all of the ports that have significant damage. Do you know if we will still go to them? St Maarten, St Barts, Tortola, Key West. I hope we do I am a Sandy survivor and I want to support the people of those islands.

Hi, Welcome to Cruise Critic boards! It's probably to early to tell about your port calls and if the ports have too much damage for the cruise ships to call there. I suggest you join your cruise critic Roll Call for your cruise, where you will find others on your specific sailing, and maybe get more focused info. And try posting on the Crystal forum. I'll try to get you links if I can find your departure .... you haven't given us you ship and departure port so I may not be able to identify it but I'll try.... and come back with the links. m--

Much too early to predict which islands will be hosting tourists in the next few weeks. The cruiseline will keep you up to date if they need to alter their itineraries. Part of the cruise experience is accepting that you won't always go to the places you signed up for. As long as you're flexible and can go with the flow, then you'll still get to go on a lovely cruise........where to is anyone's guess at this point.

Well, I can't tell which ship but here's the link for the Crystal Roll Calls... and if you don't have one shown for your cruise you can start one, like starting a new thread - Use a title with the Date of Departure shown in it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=761

For the Crystal Cruises forum http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30

m--

This is tragic.

Just saw a picture of the airport. Terminal Buildings were demolished. Maybe months before airport back in operation. May have to sail a cruise ship to St Maarten to get all tourist off the island

Hi, Welcome to Cruise Critic boards! It's probably to early to tell about your port calls and if the ports have too much damage for the cruise ships to call there. I suggest you join your cruise critic Roll Call for your cruise, where you will find others on your specific sailing, and maybe get more focused info. And try posting on the Crystal forum. I'll try to get you links if I can find your departure .... you haven't given us you ship and departure port so I may not be able to identify it but I'll try.... and come back with the links. m--

Thank You! I am leaving out of Ft Lauderdale Nov. 27th on Serenity 9 Day cruise. Any Info is greatly appreciated..

This is tragic. Just saw a picture of the airport. Terminal Buildings were demolished. Maybe months before airport back in operation. May have to sail a cruise ship to St Maarten to get all tourist off the island

Yes, very sad and unfortunate. From the London/UK Daily Mail this morning, they have many pictures and details from what has hit St-Barts, plus the Dutch colony of Saint Maarten in the Caribbean. Enjoyed visiting both of these scenic locations for the first time in early 2015. Plus, having three days in San Juan during that trip. Below are four of their visuals from St-Barts and Saint Maarten.

Their latest story has this headline: Staring into oblivion: Bahamas, Dominican Republic and Turks and Caicos brace for impact with these highlights: The category 5 storm - the strongest hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic - howled past Puerto Rico with 185mph winds after reducing the tiny tropical islands of Barbuda and St Martin to rubble. They suffered the storm's full fury with 95 per cent of properties destroyed on both islands. Officials said at least eight people died on the French part of St Martin - a pristine resort known for its vibrant nightlife.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4860396/Irma-hits-Puerto-Rico-damaging-Barbuda-St-Martin.html

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

From the Daily Mail, here is one visual from St-Barts. We walked right by this one historic building. Remember this location and these sights very well in St-Barts!! Next are three of their visuals from Saint Maarten that give examples of the major damages there.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

43FE8B1600000578-4860396-Devastation_This_was_the_scene_on_Saint_Barth_after_the_hurrican-a-54_1504779127558_zpsw1fjrzhn.jpg

43FEEA1700000578-4860396-image-a-40_1504771799777_zpstdqfn9zf.jpg

43FEA15000000578-4860396-image-a-13_1504768065547_zpskawczirv.jpg

43FEA14400000578-4860396-image-a-23_1504768232877_zpseyzxh9xd.jpg

First aerial footage, taken from a Dutch Navy NH-90 helicopter assigned to the station ship, ZrMs Zeeland, of the devastation of the Dutch part of Sint Maarten, incl. Phillipsburg, taken yesterday, 06 SEP 17. The cruise ship piers can be seen at 3:35 of the first video

I am new to cruising. I have a cruise with Crystal booked in 8 weeks from now. It is scheduled to stop in all of the ports that have significant damage. Do you know if we will still go to them? St Maarten, St Barts, Tortola, Key West. I hope we do I am a Sandy survivor and I want to support the people of those islands.

Way too early to tell. If I had to guess I'd say maybe St Maarten port may be open although the island has suffered severe damage so the cruiseline may still stay away. Key West? Won't know that until the weekend. Many islands are much poorer than St Maarten or the US so their access to money for rebuilds will be much much slower although perhaps the UK might kick in some extra help for Tortola. The poorer islands are likely to take years to recover, if they recover. St Barts/St Kitts/Antigua/Dominica/Barbuda/Anguilla - they may never recover given the poor state of infrastructure that existed before Irma in many of these places.

St Maarten is my favourite place in the world to stop at. Been there many times. It is a safe place and the locals are always welcoming and friendly. I feel so bad for them. Very sad.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

Thank You! I am leaving out of Ft Lauderdale Nov. 27th on Serenity 9 Day cruise. Any Info is greatly appreciated..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2356304

This is the link to your Roll Call

If you follow the roll call you will probably have the latest info available. Also check from time to time with CC News, use the click on the upper right.

By late Nov you will have plenty of time to figure out what's operational at the Ft Lauderdale terminal. And there will be some time to make repairs on the islands, although I'm guessing that you will see a lot of damage. I arrived in some western Caribbean ports after Wilma (I think it was Wilma, and if not it was a major hurricane) and they had horrible damage but got the port open, a tender port, largely to get their economy running again. I'd be confident that you will have a lovely cruise, way too early to guess which ports they will go to. But it's hard to have a bad n a cruise ship! m--