No more Cruise Logs

JennysUncle

I have sent an email to: Officeofthepresident@HollandAmerica.com

The answer I got was:

Regarding cruise logs, we’re not currently able to provide these for our sailings. We’re sorry for any disappointment at not receiving this document for your voyage and will pass this feedback along to management so they may consider whether to re introduce cruise logs to our fleet in the future.

Thank you again for contacting our office. On behalf of Mr. Orlando Ashford, we look forward to welcoming you on board the ms Volendam in November. Until then,we wish you all the best.

Kind regards,

Kirby Lee

SpecialAdvisor

Office ofthe President

Thanks for posting HAL's response. As I suggested in Post #259 above, anyone who feels strongly about the Cruise Log should definitely communicate those feelings directly to HAL. While that may not result in getting the CL restored, it certainly has a better chance than carping endlessly on CC.

I remember in April 2016 I reported from the First sailing of the Koningsdam that we had no Cruise Log and they told me Hal was discontinuing this.

What is interesting Princess is now a very closely related sister line and a week ago I got off the Diamond Princess, they have a large 4 page cruise log you get the final morning.

a3777791fda90b33d15afa8f7ac4c4da.jpg0330f99a3d87e8643c166c2c7779644d.jpge5b72430e1a9671435af087e46c714b4.jpg4954a780886ba162c93e98e25d28136e.jpg

Thanks for posting HAL's response. As I suggested in Post #259 above, anyone who feels strongly about the Cruise Log should definitely communicate those feelings directly to HAL. While that may not result in getting the CL restored, it certainly has a better chance than carping endlessly on CC.

Unable to provide the cruise logs is an unfortunate reason (excuse) to have chosen. WHAT could posssib ly be making it impossible to provide the log which w e received, cruise after cruise long before HAL ever heard of Mr. Ashford. UNable? WHY unable.. .

Edited by sail7seas

Unable to provide the cruise logs is an unfortunate word to have chosen. WHAT couuld posssib ly be making it impossible to provide the log which w e received, cruise after cruise long before HAL ever heard of Mr. Ashford. UNable? WHY unable.. .

Excellent question, sail7seas ... and another good reason to direct your comments and wishes to HAL. Maybe, just maybe, Mr. Ashford will provide an answer.

Excellent question, sail7seas ... and another good reason to direct your comments and wishes to HAL. Maybe, just maybe, Mr. Ashford will provide an answer.
:) My suspicion is Mr. Ashford will have no interest in our 'issue' and no chance a t all he would answer my question.I t is so easy for u s CC'ers to be thought of as nuisance complainers on an internet forum with no connection to the fact, we are 'heads in beds' on his shipsEasy for us to be brushed off and ignored. He is currently building another ship that will have even more beds that have to be filled. :eek: I have lost any sense he has any appreciation for us,' the customer. I never felt that way with HA L in years past. but this seem s to be the new HAL. "Take it or leave it. :) I am incr easingly disinterested in accepting all the cut backs. Some, sure, but there are too many. IMO Edited by sail7seas

:) My suspicion is Mr. Ashford will have no interest in our 'issue' and no chance a t all he would answer my question.I t is so easy for u s CC'ers to be thought of as nuisance complainers on an internet forum with no connection to the fact, we are 'heads in beds' on his shipsEasy for us to be brushed off and ignored. He is currently building another ship that will have even more beds that have to be filled. :eek: I have lost any sense he has any appreciation for us,' the customer. I never felt that way with HA L in years past. but this seem s to be the new HAL. "Take it or leave it. :) I am incr easingly disinteretrred in accepting all the cut backs. Some, sure, but there are too many. IMO

I am very sorry to hear how disheartened you are about HAL, but I would still encourage you to write to Mr. Ashford to express your concerns. Sort of reminds me of what a friend said when I told him that I didn't play the Lottery because of my very very slim chances of winning. He said, "I may never win but I definitely know you won't win if you never play."

You have nothing to lose by writing to Mr. Ashford, and he may just surprise you with a very good response. On the other hand, I can virtually guarantee that no amount of carping by anonymous CCers will produce a good result because CCers represent a very small percentage of HAL's customers and businesses seldom respond favorably to anonymous complainers. Good luck, sail7seas!

Edited by avian777

I am very sorry to hear how disheartened you are about HAL, but I would still encourage you to write to Mr. Ashford to express your concerns. Sort of reminds me of what a friend said when I told him that I didn't play the Lottery because of my very very slim chances of winning. He said, "I may never win but I definitely know you won't win if you never play."

You have nothing to lose by writing to Mr. Ashford, and he may just surprise you with a very good response. On the other hand, I can virtually guarantee that no amount of carping by anonymous CCers will produce a good result because CCers represent a very small percentage of HAL's customers and businesses seldom respond favorably to anonymous complainers. Good luck, sail7seas!

Thanks, Avian. I will not be writing mr. Ashford. I have no wish to tell him how to run his cruise line. i have friends sailing right now on koningsdam who invited me to sail with them. They will be aboard 2-3 weeks and while I appreciate their invitation , I chose to decline their invitation. I almots booked a HAL cruise a few weeks ago but could not build up enthusiasm for it. That is a clear messsage to me hAL has made too many changes I do not wel ome. I may need good luck, Avian, bu t not in regard to HAL. That is not a matter of luck to me, but rather a matter of choice. :) I don't know what choices I will make.

Edited by sail7seas

As most of the CC members mentioned, many emails and calls to HAL have been made, also to the office of the President. Continuing the discussion here is perfectly in line with Cruise Critic rules, and no reason to shut down the conversation.

Who said to shut it down? Where?

Did I miss such a post where anyone said to close this hread? I cannot find it. Please link it or opy and paste it or explain thanks.

As most of the CC members mentioned, many emails and calls to HAL have been made, also to the office of the President. Continuing the discussion here is perfectly in line with Cruise Critic rules, and no reason to shut down the conversation.

IMO whoever suggested that "continuing the discussion here is [not] in line with Cruise Critic rules, and[/or is] reason to shut down the conversation" ought to be publicly shamed.

Thanks, Avian. I will not be writing mr. Ashford. I have no wish to tell him how to run his cruise line. i have friends sailing right now on koningsdam who invited me to sail with them. They will be aboard 2-3 weeks and while Ii appreciate their invitation , I chose to decline their invitation. I almots booked a HAL cruise a few weeks ago but could not build up enthusiasm for it. That is a clear messsage to me hAL has made too many changes I do not welc ome. I may need good luck, Avian, bu t not in regard to HAL. That is not a matter of luck to me, but rather a matter of choice. :) I don't know what choices I will make.

I hope you change your mind and choose to enjoy many more "dam" cruises.

If you do not like cutbacks you need to move up to a more deluxe line. Of course that means paying more . We have been on Silver Seas , Oceania and others and have sailed mass market which Holland is in that category. We have never worried about a cruise logs who is the captain or such trivial things that are posted on the boards. If anyone thinks a cruise line is going to change over the few people that post you are mistaken. Holland has about 24000 people on the ships and maybe 200 complaints about what most people do not care about . The cruise business is price driven the lower the price more people will book in mass market. Old days are gone. Prices have gone down not up that is what people want

If you do not like cutbacks you need to move up to a more deluxe line. Of course that means paying more . We have been on Silver Seas , Oceania and others and have sailed mass market which Holland is in that category. We have never worried about a cruise logs who is the captain or such trivial things that are posted on the boards. If anyone thinks a cruise line is going to change over the few people that post you are mistaken. Holland has about 24000 people on the ships and maybe 200 complaints about what most people do not care about .

Oceania does not give out a Cruise Log. I have sailed on her.

As to HAL reading these boards, I can assure you that without the very long wine policy thread and letters to the HAL I am sure that the wine policy would not have been amended.

HAL does keep an eye on these threads (they might not post but they do) and they keep an eye on the views.

Emails/snail mails speak volumes as well. You might get a standardized reply but if there are enough, they pay attention.

Only 1 out 10 is usually vocal but a much bigger percentage will walk away if they are unhappy.

If HAL isn't smart enough to know that.....

We are dealing with a miniscule amount of cost here especially if HAL follows some of the recommendations posted here.

If that makes a number of people happy, it is worth listening too. JMO.

If you do not like cutbacks you need to move up to a more deluxe line. Of course that means paying more
. (YOU have some idea what I am accusttomed to paying??? Really ?Have we met? Please tell me how you know me/?
We have been on Silver Seas , Oceania and others and have sailed mass market which Holland is in that category. We have never worried about a cruise logs who is the captain or such trivial things that are posted on the boards. If anyone thinks a cruise line is going to change over the few people that post you are mistaken. Holland has about 24000 people on the ships and maybe 200 complaints about what most people do not care about .
Need to?

I' ha ve sailed in Neptune Suites since Statendam entered the fleet.. WHat we have paid for suites, I could sail any ship i wish. I like the people of HAL and tthat is why I sail them. I am very fond of HAL's crews. I also like fellow guessttss. Some pax mix do not please me. please do not' assume what one pays and tell them they need to pay more. You know what happens when one 'assumes'. :D :D...

I was invited by Silver Seas to have lunch on one of their ships when she was in boston. THAAT is nto a cruise line for me........... Just a bit 'full of themselves'. Lunch was no special treat IMO

Edited by sail7seas

Oceania does not give out a Cruise Log. I have sailed on her.

As to HAL reading these boards, I can assure you that without the very long wine policy thread and letters to the HAL I am sure that the wine policy would not have been amended.

HAL does keep an eye on these threads (they might not post but they do) and they keep an eye on the views.

Emails/snail mails speak volumes as well. You might get a standardized reply but if there are enough, they pay attention.

Only 1 out 10 is usually vocal but a much bigger percentage will walk away if they are unhappy.

If HAL isn't smart enough to know that.....

We are dealing with a miniscule amount of cost here especially if HAL follows some of the recommendations posted here.

If that makes a number of people happy, it is worth listening too. JMO.

At the time of the change in wine policy, I KNOW for sure some of the senior officers on some of the ships read CC regularly and some people workin g in Seatttle read here. i DO NOT KNOW for sure they do NOW. I know because they told me so. and we spoke of CC face to face and in person. I know a few posted her and knew their post names. I'vve not seen any such posts for a while.

I remember in April 2016 I reported from the First sailing of the Koningsdam that we had no Cruise Log and they told me Hal was discontinuing this.

What is interesting Princess is now a very closely related sister line and a week ago I got off the Diamond Princess, they have a large 4 page cruise log you get the final morning.

a3777791fda90b33d15afa8f7ac4c4da.jpg0330f99a3d87e8643c166c2c7779644d.jpge5b72430e1a9671435af087e46c714b4.jpg4954a780886ba162c93e98e25d28136e.jpg

Thanks for sharing Lisa. I really like those. Really classy.

Who said to shut it down? Where?

Did I miss such a post where anyone said to close this hread? I cannot find it. Please link it or opy and paste it or explain thanks.

I think the following is the post lizzie68 was referencing.

I agree with lizzie68 :) (y) and lizzie if I am wrong about the post you were referencing I apologize.

I think the following is the post lizzie68 was referencing.

I agree with lizzie68 :) (y) and lizzie if I am wrong about the post you were referencing I apologize.

:) WHich Lizzie? I don't see where it says to shut down the thread.