No more Cruise Logs

JennysUncle

I got a nice reply from the President's assistant. It had similar wording to one previously posted; but also addressed my request to have a PDF version of the cruise log. I was pleasantly surprised that it just took 4.5 hours for an individualized response. That, in my opinion, shows a high customer service level; which I really appreciate. This is another reason I am looking forward to cruising more on HAL.

Regarding cruise logs, we’re not currently able to provide these for our sailings. We’re sorry for any disappointment at not receiving this document for your voyage and will pass this feedback, specifically your suggestion of using the Cruise Logs as a marketing opportunity, along to management so they may consider whether to reintroduce cruise logs to our fleet in the future.

Good to see that HAL is responding to the e-mails (letters too?) ... IMO if enough people contact HAL about this matter, HAL will bring the Cruise Log back.

So, be sure to contact HAL and also encourage your friends to do likewise if they agree with you on this matter ... and feel free to continue carping on endlessly on CC although I seriously doubt that will enhance the chances of HAL bringing the CL back. JMO YMMV

I remember in April 2016 I reported from the First sailing of the Koningsdam that we had no Cruise Log and they told me Hal was discontinuing this.

What is interesting Princess is now a very closely related sister line and a week ago I got off the Diamond Princess, they have a large 4 page cruise log you get the final morning.

a3777791fda90b33d15afa8f7ac4c4da.jpg0330f99a3d87e8643c166c2c7779644d.jpge5b72430e1a9671435af087e46c714b4.jpg4954a780886ba162c93e98e25d28136e.jpg

This is significant information related to this thread, in my opinion. If Princess is able to this, then there is no good reason why HAL cannot also do so.

HAL's former CEO, Stein Kruse, is now the CEO of the Carnival Corporation Group that includes HAL and Princess. May I suggest that contacts ought also be made to Mr. Kruse? Mr. Kruse is Mr. Ashford's "Boss". If somehow copies of the Cruise Log from Princess could be copied and sent to Mr. Kruse as an example of what one's snail mail letter (which is what I think is more effective) or e-mail concerns, maybe it will make a difference.

[

This is significant information related to this thread, in my opinion. If Princess is able to this, then there is no good reason why HAL cannot also do so.

HAL's former CEO, Stein Kruse, is now the CEO of the Carnival Corporation Group that includes HAL and Princess. May I suggest that contacts ought also be made to Mr. Kruse? Mr. Kruse is Mr. Ashford's "Boss". If somehow copies of the Cruise Log from Princess could be copied and sent to Mr. Kruse as an example of what one's snail mail letter (which is what I think is more effective) or e-mail concerns, maybe it will make a difference.

Great suggestion!!!

... As to HAL reading these boards, I can assure you that without the very long wine policy thread and letters to the HAL I am sure that the wine policy would not have been amended.

HAL does keep an eye on these threads (they might not post but they do) and they keep an eye on the views.

Emails/snail mails speak volumes as well. You might get a standardized reply but if there are enough, they pay attention ...

At the risk of appearing to be "clearly antagonistic to posters [on] here", I completely agree with you, Kazu ... even though I cannot assure anyone that a letter/e-mail campaign will be successful.

What would be the best set of addresses to send an email expressing my displeasure over the discontinuation of the Cruise Logs.

Thanks

From Post #275:

I have sent an email to: Officeofthepresident@HollandAmerica.com

The answer I got was:

Regarding cruise logs, we’re not currently able to provide these for our sailings. We’re sorry for any disappointment at not receiving this document for your voyage and will pass this feedback along to management so they may consider whether to re introduce cruise logs to our fleet in the future.

Thank you again for contacting our office. On behalf of Mr. Orlando Ashford, we look forward to welcoming you on board the ms Volendam in November. Until then,we wish you all the best.

Kind regards,

Kirby Lee

SpecialAdvisor

Office ofthe President

You probably can find additional addresses on HAL's web site and in Carnival Corporation's Annual Report and other shareholder materials.

We were on the Westerdam BCN-VCE cruise and we received this the night before we disembarked

4725420b14ac35a9f247e06121967d66.jpg053eee52ecca17819a8314aa12b257bb.jpg998b823ea6a1e70843375209e2b76e24.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for posting these images. Maybe Seattle is listening? Or, it just another example of the inconsistency of the cruise experience from one HAL ship to another?

mexylopez reported "We were on the Westerdam BCN-VCE cruise and we received this the night before we disembarked".

Maybe the Westerdam is the last ship with a stockpile of that 8.5x14 paper preprinted with the Cruise Log panel, and that's why the other ships are "unable" to produce the logs. Of course, they could be printed on 8.5x11 and booklet-folded (in half), which would be more convenient all around.

I converted the home-made Cruise Log that I created after the Voyage of the Vikings into a template for future cruises. It reminds me of which names to ask for at the Front Desk, and it's a place to record the port info from the TV navigation screen. (Admittedly the third page goes beyond what is on the cruise log, but I'm an engineer - the Front Desk usually has a handout with this sort of info.)

Cruise Log template.pdf

Thank you Jenny’s uncle! I have saved this and will take along on our upcoming New Zealand and Australia cruise. Part of the joy of cruising for us are the actual facts about the voyage. I may add weather data too- so nice to remember especially on the once-in-a-lifetime cruises. Thanks for suggesting this!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another word of thanks, Jenny's uncle. I have downloaded and saved this template. I will also use most of the template.

Maybe if enough cruisers would start asking the Front Desk personnel for such information, the "efficiency experts" might note a decrease in the productivity of the Front Desk Staff because of having to "deal" with this issue.

Looks like the president has many advisors - the email reply I received today was signed by Jennifer Lake. I am not finished with HAL yet - I will write again following my upcoming K cruise - and after I arrive home without a Cruise Log to add to my pile.

I remember in April 2016 I reported from the First sailing of the Koningsdam that we had no Cruise Log and they told me Hal was discontinuing this.

What is interesting Princess is now a very closely related sister line and a week ago I got off the Diamond Princess, they have a large 4 page cruise log you get the final morning.4954a780886ba162c93e98e25d28136e.jpg

A bit off-topic, but I just now noticed the "London, UK" Registry entry. I thought that all Princess ships (as well as Cunard finally caving in) are now flagged with the red ensign of Bermuda. Is that considered to be officially UK registry? Weird.

Back on topic -- just off Eurodam last week -- no cruise log and NO TILE either (uh, they say they'll mail the tile later on. We'll see.)!

A bit off-topic, but I just now noticed the "London, UK" Registry entry. I thought that all Princess ships (as well as Cunard finally caving in) are now flagged with the red ensign of Bermuda. Is that considered to be officially UK registry? Weird.

Back on topic -- just off Eurodam last week -- no cruise log and NO TILE either (uh, they say they'll mail the tile later on. We'll see.)!

I did not get a tile on Veendam this summer, called Mariners Society and they mailed one to me VERY promptly.

I converted the home-made Cruise Log that I created after the Voyage of the Vikings into a template for future cruises. It reminds me of which names to ask for at the Front Desk' date=' and it's a place to record the port info from the TV navigation screen. (Admittedly the third page goes beyond what is on the cruise log, but I'm an engineer - the Front Desk usually has a handout with this sort of info.)[/quote']

Excellent Jenny's Uncle. :D

Thanks so much for sharing :D

I would call the Mariner Society and ask for the tile -- 1-800-547-9139

I converted the home-made Cruise Log that I created after the Voyage of the Vikings into a template for future cruises. It reminds me of which names to ask for at the Front Desk' date=' and it's a place to record the port info from the TV navigation screen. (Admittedly the third page goes beyond what is on the cruise log, but I'm an engineer - the Front Desk usually has a handout with this sort of info.)[/quote']

I did something similar years ago for all the cruise lines and ships that we sailed on. And I have saved them on a memory stick.

We just completed a cruise Oct. 21/17 on the Maasdam on a South Pacific crossing to Sydney, Australia and we did not receive a cruise log. We did however receive our tiles at a really nice Mariner lunch.

Last year dh and did a long cruise, 42 days ft. Lauderdale to the med. and back to Ft. Lauderddale. The last evening our steward left us a cruise log. I put it into my suitcase intending to look it over once we got home. For some reason the log was only for the last half (rome to Ft Lauderdale) I guess I was lucky to get one that had that much!

Probably best to start requesting Seattle to reinstate the cruise log now rather than wait for it to become a distant memory. Management obviously does not see the importance to it's "guests". This is typical of management in large corporations, they exist in an environment far removed from their clients. They won't bring it back if we don't tell them that we consider it a valued record of the journey. We paid a lot of money for that journey and the cruise log is an inexpensive memento of that experience.

I would like to add my voice expressing disappointment, something so insignificant to management that it has been deleted is an example of an out of touch management. At the very least there should be a PDF option as previously suggested.

For some reason the log was only for the last half (rome to Ft Lauderdale)
My guess is that guests that departed in Rome after a first segment got one, and that you should have, but were accidentally skipped because you weren't on the steward's list of departees.

As others have mentioned, the simplest solution would be to print off 50 copies and put them on a stand near the front desk the final night. That way - no waste. Not that they really care about printing flyers 90pct of the ship tosses....

This was probably the result of some consultant or employee focus group and HAL now feels they have some commitment to follow through....Almost as bad as not doing it, have been the totally BS reasons offered for not doing it. They must realize the true reason sounds insane in retrospect but now they Won't Back Down.....they assume it will blow over.