No more Cruise Logs

JennysUncle

Currently on Westerdam, cruise ending tomorrow in Barcelona.

Cruise Log arrived this evening, between 5pm and 6:15. It is just like all the other logs I have received.

Fleet wide? Corporate? Who knows, but it does seem that each ship does things a bit differently, maybe this is just one of those things.

Ours, too, was in our stateroom the evening before disembarkation. The cruise log goes into the packet we keep for each cruise, not like all those other papers advertising spa and jewelry "events". Aha! I just figured it out. The cruise log has no financial benefit.

It could be that ships that still have stocks of pre-printed covers with static info are just using them up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Our trans Atlantic this spring had incorrect ports in it. The front desk didn't do anything about it.

once the log has been printed and distributed to guests, what wold one expect front office would/ couuld do about an error? Besides,,,,,,,,,,,, is it the front office the p;rints them or is it a print shop n board? They are customarily given out last night or early last morning. Mostt all guests are leaving the ship early in the day. What could front office do?

Our trans Atlantic this spring had incorrect ports in it. The front desk didn't do anything about it.
once the log has been printed and distributed to guests, what would one expect front office would/ could do about an error? Besides,,,,,,,,,,,, is it the front office that p;rints them or is it a print shopo n board? They are customarily given out last night or early last morning. Most all guests are leaving the ship early in the day. What could front office do?

once the log has been printed and distributed to guests, what would one expect front office would/ could do about an error? Besides,,,,,,,,,,,, is it the front office that p;rints them or is it a print shopo n board? They are customarily given out last night or early last morning. Most all guests are leaving the ship early in the day. What could front office do?
Maybe would have taken a little rooting around but I'm sure they could have come up some Liquid Paper or Wite-Out.

once the log has been printed and distributed to guests, what wold one expect front office would/ couuld do about an error? Besides,,,,,,,,,,,, is it the front office the p;rints them or is it a print shop n board? They are customarily given out last night or early last morning. Mostt all guests are leaving the ship early in the day. What could front office do?

I asked if it would be possible to e mail corrected logs. It was not a minor error, it had us going to Mexico on a trans Atlantic. They have an on board print shop.

I asked if it would be possible to e mail corrected logs. It was not a minor error, it had us going to Mexico on a trans Atlantic. They have an on board print shop.

WOW ... must have been quite an increase to your port fees :D

Just off NA for 12 days (Alaska & Coastal). No cruise logs for either cruise portion. Sent email request for info. This is what I received:

"Thank you for your email. At this time we are no longer providing the Cruise Log information for our voyages. To better serve the environmental impact of unwanted materials onboard the ships.

However- if there was some specific information you are looking for I can see if the ship can provide it."

If they want to "better serve the environment" dozens of unwanted sales material would not be left in the cabins. We had at least 3-4 a day. What a funny response...

"unwanted materials" ??? how many passengers do you suppose throw the ONE PAGE cruise log into the trash? 5% ....20%.....how many passengers do you suppose the 4 sales flyers a day into trash? 99%?

what an insulting BS response...shame on HAL for insulting your customers with such a total BS corporate line....seems all the letters and emails on this topic have fallen on deaf ears.....still can't email a cruise log HAL? or is that not serving the environmental impact of unwanted onboard materials?? BALONEY

"Unwanted paper" seems to be the standardized response now - how lame and unimaginative. And the suggestion to ask Guest Services for the log information is a joke -- has anyone gotten a response from them with info rather than an excuse?

If paper is the issue, then why not send the Log as a PDF along with the questionnaire that goes out to everyone - as a little reminder of how nice the cruise was. Or let it be printed 'on demand'. They do that when they underprint the Times Digest and you go to the front desk for one. Or put a couple hundred in the rack there on the last day.

HAL -- do you follow CC threads ? Why not just admit that it is cost cutting.

Just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam last Thursday. Asked guest services for a cruise log, and they said HAL is no longer providing cruise logs. Ran into the captain and asked him about it, and he deferred to the hotel director who said it was a company-wide measure on all ships. No more cruise logs. I asked that one be printed just for me, and never received anything.

Just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam last Thursday. Asked guest services for a cruise log, and they said HAL is no longer providing cruise logs. Ran into the captain and asked him about it, and he deferred to the hotel director who said it was a company-wide measure on all ships. No more cruise logs. I asked that one be printed just for me, and never received anything.

I was on the same cruise and the one before. Got same answer from GS then emailed Ship Services, Pres Office, and Guest Relations. Just got a new reply from the Pres Office. They did not included any of the Cruise Log details but they did answer my question on passenger nationalities:

Distance Covered

YVR-YVR: 1992 nautical miles

YVR-SAN: 1311 nautical miles

Nationality Breakdown 09/23-09/30:

AU 562

UK 560

CA 348

US 262

DE 57

CN 54

Nationality Breakdown 09/30-10/05:

CA 991

US 737

NL 55

AU 51

UK 36

CH 36

(CA-Canada, CN-China, DE-Germany, NL-The Netherlands,CH-Switzerland, AU-Australia, GB-Great Britain, US-United States)

I too am missing looking at the cruise log. It was a wonderful Voyage of the Viking cruise, but.... I did not check the television screen for the total sailed mileage before leaving the Rotterdam. And heaven knows, we paid enough for that cruise that printing the cruise log would not make a dent in HAL's profits.

If HAL says it is too costly to keep printing the cruise logs, well.... how about all of those ridiculous ads and promotions we receive onboard???

HAL is not wasting money on keeping the Lido open. You eat on their schedule or pay for room service if you want something nice.

HAL has brought onboard a lot of entertainers that really do not encourage the normal HAL cruiser to go and see.

HAL has cut the kitchen staff and dining staff so much that people have to wait and wait. Saving money here.

SO..... this new HAL president has had no experience with cruising before accepting his current job.... and it shows!

Okay. I am done complaining. Sorry for going on and on.

The new HAL president is a "fixer." He was hired to fix the bottom-line. He had not been on a cruise ship until he spent a week on the 2016 World Cruise on the ms Amsterdam. He was not impressive during his "town hall" meeting. What he is doing to HAL is the reason I will not take another HAL cruise and I am a 5* but there have been too many cuts to make a HAL cruise enjoyable. Viking Ocean Cruises are where my money will be going in the future. They know how to take care of their cruisers.

Just off NA for 12 days (Alaska & Coastal). No cruise logs for either cruise portion. Sent email request for info. This is what I received:

"Thank you for your email. At this time we are no longer providing the Cruise Log information for our voyages. To better serve the environmental impact of unwanted materials onboard the ships.

However- if there was some specific information you are looking for I can see if the ship can provide it."

If they want to "better serve the environment" dozens of unwanted sales material would not be left in the cabins. We had at least 3-4 a day. What a funny response...

Thank you for posting the response from HAL.

Quite extraordinary, considering all the wasted paper advertising the pathetic sales etc.

WOW ... must have been quite an increase to your port fees :D

Maybe it was written by the same geographically challenged person that wrote the script that announced HAL goes to 7 countries and 100 Continents.:o:halo:

The new HAL president is a "fixer." He was hired to fix the bottom-line. He had not been on a cruise ship until he spent a week on the 2016 World Cruise on the ms Amsterdam.

Can you please cite your source this very specific, seemingly 'inside' information. I'm very curious.

He was not impressive during his "town hall" meeting.

Is this a universally held opinion, or simply yours? :confused:

Can you please cite your source this very specific, seemingly 'inside' information. I'm very curious.

Is this a universally held opinion, or simply yours? :confused:

Micro-managing of the ships' operations has become an issue in the opinion of a recently retired HAL Captain as reported to me by a good friend who knows and has had recent contact with the gentleman.

The new HAL president is a "fixer." He was hired to fix the bottom-line. He had not been on a cruise ship until he spent a week on the 2016 World Cruise on the ms Amsterdam. He was not impressive during his "town hall" meeting. What he is doing to HAL is the reason I will not take another HAL cruise and I am a 5* but there have been too many cuts to make a HAL cruise enjoyable. Viking Ocean Cruises are where my money will be going in the future. They know how to take care of their cruisers.

(Bolding mine). No, he certainly was not. In fact, I would go so far as to say it was a complete waste of time.

I would suspect that the cost of the "junk" advertising (my term - like junk mail) is covered by the Contract vendors who run the shops, either on a flyer by flyer basis OR it is built into the contract. Only a guess based on how other types of advertising are funded. Therefore, it does impact the "bottom" line like HAL related printing (such as the Log) does.

I agree with others - having it sent with the post-cruise survey would be a relatively cost free (Someone does have to prepare it) option.

I had an on line chat with the Mariner Society & they didn't know what I was taking about either, she thought I was taking about my bill and shut down before I could explain what I was taking about. I also sent an email to guest services & the CEO, no joy. Maybe if more people included it on their survey it might let HAL know guests are not happy.

Allan

If paper is the issue' date=' then why not send the Log as a PDF along with the questionnaire that goes out to everyone - as a little reminder of how nice the cruise was. Or let it be printed 'on demand'. They do that when they underprint the Times Digest and you go to the front desk for one. Or put a couple hundred in the rack there on the last day.[/quote']

Great Idea!

"Unwanted paper" seems to be the standardized response now - how lame and unimaginative. And the suggestion to ask Guest Services for the log information is a joke -- has anyone gotten a response from them with info rather than an excuse?

If paper is the issue' date=' then why not send the Log as a PDF along with the questionnaire that goes out to everyone - as a little reminder of how nice the cruise was. Or let it be printed 'on demand'. They do that when they underprint the Times Digest and you go to the front desk for one. Or put a couple hundred in the rack there on the last day.

HAL -- do you follow CC threads ? Why not just admit that it is cost cutting.[/quote']Or set up the front lobby kiosks which currently enable you to print your own statement to print your own cruise log. Can you imagine being the front desk person trying to keep a straight face while telling a passenger that it is to "save paper"? :eek: