No more Cruise Logs

JennysUncle

Along with writing/emailing HAL..

From HAL's facebook page today....

Cruise logs that have been previously provided prior to disembarkation to our guests have been temporarily discontinued. We are working on creating a new cruise log for our guests but do not know when it will be available. Guest who wish to have a formal itinerary or details of their cruise such as distance from land may contact our Guest Relations department at guestrelations@hollandamerica.com to request this information. We hope you found this information helpful. Happy cruising!

Those of you on FB should add comments to the FB post or just post a new one expressing your disappointment.

There is getting to be too many complaints of recent cruisers. While I don't disagree contacting HAL and Mr. Ashford directly with one's disappointments/concerns, but as I just suggested in the "maintenance issues" thread, if you are a CCL Shareholder, contact the Lead Director of CCL. Let your disappointments be known at the highest level possible.

A good suggestion for those of us that are CCL shareholders.

Might as well let our voices be heard in every way possible ;)

Just did my part for the Cruise Log campaign:) I always found it a nice touch at the end of a journey that stands out from a land vacation. Totally agree with the carbon footprint excuse after a mailbox stuffed with flyers...lol. Hope they rethink this one.

" However, as we try to reduce our carbon foot-print, and printingless items that needed to be disposed of in the future, we hope you willunderstand our decision to discontinue the cruise logs. "

So how about just a tiny bit of THINKING and produce a PDF of the cruise log...last i checked a PDF file has zero carbon footprint...plus i highly doubt that very many if any passengers DISPOSE of the cruise log.....unlike the tons of crap flyers put in the trash of every room everyday and the hundreds of pictures printed and disposed of as well....

" However, as we try to reduce our carbon foot-print, and printingless items that needed to be disposed of in the future, we hope you willunderstand our decision to discontinue the cruise logs. "

So how about just a tiny bit of THINKING and produce a PDF of the cruise log...last i checked a PDF file has zero carbon footprint...plus i highly doubt that very many if any passengers DISPOSE of the cruise log.....unlike the tons of crap flyers put in the trash of every room everyday and the hundreds of pictures printed and disposed of as well....

(bold is mine) Ashford is supposedly a tech-savvy guy. If he's so worried about carbon footprint, why doesn't he update the photo service to have you find your pictures on a computer system? Cunard has gone to this on QM2. They print just enough pictures from embarkation and first captain's party to fill the few racks they have. Portraits and everything after that are on the computers. They're organized in a way that's easy to use once you learn how the menus work. And they must be saving on staff time, too. Uploading and organizing files is faster than printing and putting up pictures.

To be honest, I think that the concessionaires provide and pay for all the junk flyers. But if HAL wanted to reduce their carbon footprint, they could print the final account on double-sided ordinary copy paper instead of the single-sided extra-heavy stock that ours was on. Anyhow, I save my Cruise Logs, so that is a net decrease to the carbon footprint.

I liked the line in the responses from the Office of the President about referring the matter to management -- I thought the President WAS the management.

Also the Facebook posting about a new Cruise Log format under development. Why discontinue the old one before the new one is ready ?

Cruise logs that have been previously provided prior to disembarkation to our guests have been temporarily discontinued. We are working on creating a new cruise log for our guests but do not know when it will be available. Guest who wish to have a formal itinerary or details of their cruise such as distance from land may contact our Guest Relations department at guestrelations@hollandamerica.com to request this information. We hope you found this information helpful. Happy cruising!

As they have suggested, we should all be contacting guest relations after our cruises, for all the details that are normally given in the cruise log. I do look at the weather , speed and consumables details as well.

I only got the automatically created answer to my e-mail...... No mesage other than they reeevied my e-mail :rolleyes: Where is the HAL I have been so happy to sail, so many times, for so many years? Hard to recognize ....in some respects.

I only got the automatically created answer to my e-mail...... No mesage other than they reeevied my e-mail :rolleyes: Where is the HAL I have been so happy to sail, so many times, for so many years? Hard to recognize ....in some respects.

I'm wondering why HAL is ignoring my email about the Cruise Logs. So many of you have already heard back and I've gotten zilch. :mad:

It is the weekend in Seattle.

I sent my email to the following. Not sure if it will help or not. guestrelations@hollandamerica.com officeofthepresident@hollandamerica.com skruse@hollandamerica.com

I sent an email to all of the above today, letting them know how disappointed I am. Looking forward to hearing what the answer will be.

Allan

It is the weekend in Seattle.

It is the weekend in Boston. :) I sent t he e - mail yesterday afternoon, considering the 3 hour time difference, unless they quit early on Fridays, someone had it before the weekend. :D

Edited by sail7seas

For those on the Voyage of the Vikings who missed having a Cruise Log -- Check the end of the Roll Call (message 2670) where I have posted a pseudo version that I cobbled together from info I collected. Still waiting for Guest Relations to respond to my request (as per offer by the Office of the President) for the info that would have been in the real Log. ... Bill

Well, I think it's awesome that they are calling it "temporary." Maybe they didn't know people appreciated the logs so much and they are listening to feedback.

I agree with a prior poster who mentioned how these logs are a really fun way to differentiate a sea journey from a land journey. We're Mariners!!

I will be adding my voice to the request to bring back the cruise log! This is the one souvenir I keep from my cruises and I am disgusted that HAL has seen fit to dispense with something that so many people enjoy keeping. The cutbacks currently being undertaken by HAL make the cruise experience a little less enjoyable for me and I now question my loyalty......

Discontinuing the Cruise Logs is completely understandable :(. Consider that HAL will save the cost of a couple of reams of paper per cruise and the cost of the printing ink. You think this is another reasonable HAL cut-back?

Hank

Just fired off the following....

To Whom it may Concern,

It has been brought to my attention that Holland America has discontinued the practice of supplying a copy of the Cruise Log at the completion of a voyage.

This Cruise Log has been a very important memento of my Holland America Cruises and has been safely kept and treasured as an informative reminder of my cruise experience.

I am appalled that it will no longer be available and implore you to reverse this decision and reinstate the Cruise Log (preferably prior to my embarkation for my next cruise on 27th Sept).

I would be more than happy to pay a small token for the privilege of receiving the log should the cost be an issue for HAL or if it is the carbon footprint issue that concerns you then perhaps you could do away with all the unnecessary and irritating commercial advertising material we are bombarded with instead.

Discontinuing the Cruise Logs is completely understandable :(. Consider that HAL will save the cost of a couple of reams of paper per cruise and the cost of the printing ink. You think this is another reasonable HAL cut-back?

Hank

I don't think it is reasonable at all esp when compared to how much paper and ink is wasted on other things, as others have mentioned.

I like the idea of mailing all of the "junk mail" from the cruise to Mr. Ashford's office. Maybe include a short note that says "In an effort to reduce my carbon footprint I am mailing this all back to you so that it can be used again on another sailing. Perhaps now you will be able to provide a cruise log."