Any update on cruises scheduled to leave from Puerto Rico?

mixplix

I am actually going to take a 50% loss and cancel my cruise leaving November 19th(Jewel of the seas), our hotel at Sharaton San Juan is closed and I don't want to deal with finding a hotel before and after the cruise, I also don't want to deal with the increased crime rates, possible power outages, fending for essentials like food and water and whatever else the media is telling us. I served in the navy and I'm just making a judgement call as I know how things can get. Unfortunately I don't have any travel insurance. I'm going to take a 900USD loss + Airfare losses in return for my sanity. Lesson learned.

I contacted Royal numerous times and they basically don't care and can't make any exceptions.

I asked politely if I could get 75% back instead of 50% and they said no.

Kind of ridiculous as they're going to possibly resell my room to someone else and double dip.

I'm going to go have our honeymoon in Orlando (try to stay at a Disney resort or something) instead. RIP bank account lol.

I hope any of you that are travelling in the next month or two.. be careful and let us all know how it goes.

The longer I wait around.. the more money I lose.. and less of a chance to find another vacation to go on a honeymoon on. Its a gamble but I trust the locals predictions/their local media when they say that things won't be normal until after Jan.

I also have severe anxiety/depression/PTSD and OCD, lol.

While I am sad you will miss your cruise, I understand your thoughts. A honeymoon is a once in a lifetime experience and should be something special. Orlando is awesome. The new Pandora section at Animal Kingdom is fabulous. The Avatar ride is really cool. Lots of great restaurants. Soarin' at Epcot was neat also. We didn't get to do the Frozen ride at Norway as it was down for maintenance when we were there recently. Be sure to do "fast pass" reservations ahead of time. Enjoy your honeymoon and maybe you can do the cruise next year to celebrate your one year anniversary!

Originally posted by skiiergirl..... Again....for every person that wants RC to "hurry up and cancel" there is another that wants them to "hang on as long as possible" to make changes. For those sailing within the next few weeks....I understand your anxiety....but it is part of cruising during hurricane season. While there is a chance anytime of year for reroutes....you took a larger risk booking during hurricane season. For those that say the ship can't sail out of PR even if the pier is ok due to supplies, etc....the ship can refuel and pick up supplies in other ports. I am sure The inventory manager onboard is very good and can work with corporate and vendors, etc to get supplies on other islands. For the Oct 7 sailing they are allowing folks to board on Oct 6. This should help those that might have gotten their hotel reservation cancelled. I think some folks are rushing into judgement and wanting RC to rush to judgement. I was telling Mr Ski about this thread....his reaction was " sounds like a bunch of people with half cocked information trying to give a barrel full of advice". For the hotels that are open, their staff probably wants guests for the paycheck/tips, etc. If the checkin staff/porters, etc can get to the pier...I am sure they need the paycheck/tips. If the island is capable of accepting the ship/pax, these people need the $. I know it is your vacation with dedicated/limited days...but these people have had their world blown apart and need whatever support the tourists and RC can give them. Just a few short weeks ago everyone was saying St M and St T wouldn't be able to handle a ship for 6 months. Today I am reading news from various sources that indicate both St M and St T will be eagerly accepting ships/pax early/mid November. So some folks rushed to judgement there! am sure they are in need of the tourist $. For those wanting RC to rush and make changes think about the fact you might be taking needed $ away from these folks that need the tourist $ asap. I can be a little inconvenienced in waiting until the last moment to make changes if needed....if that gives more of an opportunity to help these folks get back to normal and get tourist $ coming in.

I love you!

Thank you for your reply regarding my previous comment (quoted above). I am very passionate for the folks of PR and all of the Caribbean. We love cruising out of SJU and do it as often as possible. :hearteyes:

I can sympathize. Our honeymoon cruise is in February, so we have a little more time to wait and see. Final payment is not due until December 4th, but we've already purchased $1,200 worth of airline tickets. Fortunately, those are with Southwest and I think they allow changes without penalty. We're hoping people report back on upcoming experiences so we can make a decision. I'd prefer to keep our cruise intact than to start over again with developing a back-up plan. As you said, that gets stressful when it's unexpected and last-minute. The more I read, the more I feel like we'll be fine in February. The San Juan hotel we booked was not seriously impacted and is already operational. I'm starting to look forward to our cruise again.Best of luck to you!

Our honeymoon cruise is in February, so we have a little more time to wait and see. Final payment is not due until December 4th

Are you sure? It is supposed to be 90 days out so a February sailing would have a final payment in Nov.

Booked January 2016 on board. Changed the actual cruise later (this itinerary had not yet released), but I guess they went by my booking date. I updated for a small cost savings later (August 2017), but my reservation still lists December 4th as my final payment date. Do you think I need to confirm??

Booked January 2016 on board. Changed the actual cruise later (this itinerary had not yet released), but I guess they went by my booking date. I updated for a small cost savings later (August 2017), but my reservation still lists December 4th as my final payment date. Do you think I need to confirm??

It would not hurt to confirm, but I'm thinking your original booking was when the final payment date was 75 days in advance.

I am actually going to take a 50% loss and cancel my cruise leaving November 19th(Jewel of the seas), our hotel at Sharaton San Juan is closed and I don't want to deal with finding a hotel before and after the cruise, I also don't want to deal with the increased crime rates, possible power outages, fending for essentials like food and water and whatever else the media is telling us. I served in the navy and I'm just making a judgement call as I know how things can get. Unfortunately I don't have any travel insurance. I'm going to take a 900USD loss + Airfare losses in return for my sanity. Lesson learned.

I contacted Royal numerous times and they basically don't care and can't make any exceptions.

Kind of ridiculous as they're going to possibly resell my room to someone else and double dip.

I'm going to go have our honeymoon in Orlando (try to stay at a Disney resort or something) instead. RIP bank account lol.

I hope any of you that are travelling in the next month or two.. be careful and let us all know how it goes.

So sorry to hear it's come to that. :(

I agree with others that things will probably be a little clearer in the next few days, as reports come in as to how cruisers fared getting on tomorrow's Adventure of the Seas cruise in San Juan, and especially the Oct 14 Adventure cruise (when there isn't option to stay on the ship the night before); but I totally respect everyone's personal level of comfort and chaos caused not just by the hurricanes, but also RCCL's reponse to the situation.

The only other piece of advice I'd offer is to investigate the option of travel insurance before you book your Disney honeymoon trip...that's one lesson that I know many are taking from this experience.

All the best with developing your new plans - Disney will be fantastic!

Hotel just canceled ,we are going in the same day of the cruise and leaving when

we return on the ship! We were goin to stay a few days ahead and one coming back... :(

JetBlue could not have been more helpful!

What hotel and what dates?

If our hotel cancels we are going to change our flights to Fort Lauderdale for 2 days and then fly to Puerto Rico the day of the cruise. I just don’t feel comfortable flying from Wisconsin to Puerto Rico the day of the cruise. Florida to Puerto Rico will still make me nervous, but not as bad!

What hotel and what dates?

If our hotel cancels we are going to change our flights to Fort Lauderdale for 2 days and then fly to Puerto Rico the day of the cruise. I just don’t feel comfortable flying from Wisconsin to Puerto Rico the day of the cruise. Florida to Puerto Rico will still make me nervous, but not as bad!

That sounds like a great plan, much less chance for issues.

We are leaving on the AOS on Nov 4 out of San Juan. Thanks to some very helpful suggestions from a question I posted we are now flying to Orlando on Fri Nov 3 and then flying on Southwest to San Juan the morning of Sat Nov 4. The SW fare from Orlando to San Juan was only $99. Coming from Colorado the day of the cruise would have been cutting the time way too close. Our hotel had also been canceled (Marriott Courtyard Isla Verde) and we did not want to spend any time in San Juan.

Like everyone else I am very curious to hear if tomorrow's cruise and the next week's cruise go ok.

cruiser69420 - one more thing...

Have you called Westjet? I expect you should be able to either use your original flights to and from San Juan towards new flights to Florida, and/or get a travel bank credit with Westjet for future flights within a year.

While Westjet hasn't formally listed flexibility with flights to/from San Juan on their website, they have for St Maarten and other Caribbean airports impacted by hurricanes. I have a feeling they just haven't gotten around to it, as they don't have any flights to San Juan for another month. There are reports from others here on cruise critic that have reported Westjet being flexible with changes to flights to San Juan.

And, if they're hesitant to waive change fees, you should also point out that their #1 competitor, Air Canada, recently announced flexibility for AC flights to San Juan up to April 2, 2018.

And finally, if they're still insistent on charging you a change fee...did you ever check on your flight to Toronto? Is it in fact Dec 3rd? If it is, Westjet cancelled that flight - this is the ace up your sleve: under the Westjet tariff they MUST offer you a refund on this flight, because they made a schedule change. It's Rule #75, subsection C.2.E:

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/about-us/legal/tariffs/international-transborder-tariff

I thought they meant had anyone flown in to San Juan to await the ship's arrival

We are leaving on the Adventure of the Seas from San Juan tomorrow...We have been in contact with NUMEROUS cruisers who have landed today...been picked up by Royal Caribbean at the airport and taken to our ship...ALL WITH NOT ONE PROBLEM OR HITCH. Both myself and me wife are about to board on a redeye flight to San Juan in a few hours and expect everything to go also without any of the problems everyone keeps writing that they are SOO WORRIED about....In fact some of our fellow cruisers are telling us that they are currently onboard, drink in hand, about to have a great dinner in the main dining room.

We are leaving on the Adventure of the Seas from San Juan tomorrow...We have been in contact with NUMEROUS cruisers who have landed today...been picked up by Royal Caribbean at the airport and taken to our ship...ALL WITH NOT ONE PROBLEM OR HITCH. Both myself and me wife are about to board on a redeye flight to San Juan in a few hours and expect everything to go also without any of the problems everyone keeps writing that they are SOO WORRIED about....In fact some of our fellow cruisers are telling us that they are currently onboard, drink in hand, about to have a great dinner in the main dining room.

Glad to hear all is well and hope it is great for you too. You seem to be mocking people that have justifiable concerns - not cool!

That’s the benefit of a ship that will be sitting there two days, collecting cruisers. Will only happen this once, though. For the next cruises, all we need to board in one day, meaning flights on day of the cruise or else finding hotels.

This is very good to hear. However, I'm really more curious about next week's cruise, when the ship will not be in San Juan the night before the cruise.

This is very good to hear. However, I'm really more curious about next week's cruise, when the ship will not be in San Juan the night before the cruise.

From what I am reading on my M&M and also on FB, I think a large number of us have changed our flights to Saturday. Some do say they have hotel confirmations and I hipe that they are correct

From what I am reading on my M&M and also on FB, I think a large number of us have changed our flights to Saturday. Some do say they have hotel confirmations and I hipe that they are correct

I'm reading that many hotels are still not functional, and those that are functional have a bunch of relief workers staying there. Makes sense to change to Saturday arrival.

I'm reading that many hotels are still not functional, and those that are functional have a bunch of relief workers staying there. Makes sense to change to Saturday arrival.

That is what I heard. I was able to book a few hotels but I was skeptical and rightfully so. The bookings were computer generated and it turned out the hotels were not taking reservations. I sure hope these people don't get there and find no hotel availability. Made sense to me to chan ge flight to Saturday especially with a late sailing. First time ever

That is what I heard. I was able to book a few hotels but I was skeptical and rightfully so. The bookings were computer generated and it turned out the hotels were not taking reservations. I sure hope these people don't get there and find no hotel availability. Made sense to me to chan ge flight to Saturday especially with a late sailing. First time ever

I'm certainly hopeful that the hotel situation will resolve itself by the time our cruise rolls around Nov 26.

Flying in the 'day of' isn't that easy for everyone...it eliminates that buffer of an extra day to catch the cruise, with the very real possibility of a snowstorm at that time of year.

Also, we're booked on Westjet, which has cut back their schedule to Puerto Rico since Maria...the no longer fly to SJU the day of our cruise.

This was posted on Adventure of the Seas roll call for Oct 7th cruise:

dan-mish

Cool Cruiser

Mesa, AZ

57 Posts

Joined Jul 2005

Posted Today, 02:39 AM

At the FLL gate, the agent sang Preciosa, a song about PR. Some filmed, and all cheered and clapped. Our flight was going to push off from FLL on time, at 12:30PM today. They paused and announced that they would have to wait a little while because we were taking on what provisions we could for PR. Yeah SW! And everyone clapped. Flight was maybe 75% full. SW had a few more announcements and songs. They clearly have LUV for PR.

Left FLL. Do a few circles near SJU, and landed fine. The airport looked fine, except for a few torn roofs. The most obvious signs of Maria are the trees and brush. Some down and some stripped. Terminal is normal inside.

d72760519779a41e33e67d26bd115aa8.jpg

3e2598fc0e4d0c406bacde26f75349de.jpg

Outside, there we around 20 taxis and other ground trans. Everything looked pretty normal.

b87442bf3d85dea591ffd2839d424f1a.jpg

In the baggage claim area, there were a handful of RCI agents. In a few minutes we were led outside to load the bags in a box truck. Then, we were directed to our (airport style) bus. Great, informative driver (tipped well). Pence is here, so roads were closed some, but opened as we left. Along the way, we saw some devastation, but it wasn't as bad as we thought it would look. 15 later we were at the cruise terminal. It looked normal.

Along the way, we talked to a few locals. Some have stories of home problems. Most seem to want to downplay the situation to us. As day turned to night, there are a few hotels with lights on, so it's not a blackout.

I have faith in the positive attitude of our fellow citizens. They are a proud state (quasi) that will bounce back.

Dan

I'm certainly hopeful that the hotel situation will resolve itself by the time our cruise rolls around Nov 26.

Flying in the 'day of' isn't that easy for everyone...it eliminates that buffer of an extra day to catch the cruise, with the very real possibility of a snowstorm at that time of year.

Also, we're booked on Westjet, which has cut back their schedule to Puerto Rico since Maria...the no longer fly to SJU the day of our cruise.

We're on the 10/28 sailing and are flying in the day before. I have two hotel reservations and plan to call them both a couple of days before we leave to confirm that they are up and running and that we have a room. I've already called one of them twice (AC Hotel) and they've confirmed my reservation. Worst case scenario is that we'll have to spend a night in the airport. While not ideal, it's better than missing the cruise in the event of a canceled/delayed flight. We've had to do it before when a flight was canceled and we couldn't get a hotel room.

On our last cruise we were flying in the day before and had a flight canceled. With a lot of scrambling we were able to get everyone rebooked on new flights, but it was a very stressful experience and we didn't make it into our destination until the wee hours of the morning. I really don't want to be trying to do that the day of the cruise.

This was posted on Adventure of the Seas roll call for Oct 7th cruise:

dan-mish

Cool Cruiser

Mesa, AZ

57 Posts

Joined Jul 2005

Posted Today, 02:39 AM

At the FLL gate, the agent sang Preciosa, a song about PR. Some filmed, and all cheered and clapped. Our flight was going to push off from FLL on time, at 12:30PM today. They paused and announced that they would have to wait a little while because we were taking on what provisions we could for PR. Yeah SW! And everyone clapped. Flight was maybe 75% full. SW had a few more announcements and songs. They clearly have LUV for PR.

Left FLL. Do a few circles near SJU, and landed fine. The airport looked fine, except for a few torn roofs. The most obvious signs of Maria are the trees and brush. Some down and some stripped. Terminal is normal inside.

d72760519779a41e33e67d26bd115aa8.jpg

3e2598fc0e4d0c406bacde26f75349de.jpg

Outside, there we around 20 taxis and other ground trans. Everything looked pretty normal.

b87442bf3d85dea591ffd2839d424f1a.jpg

In the baggage claim area, there were a handful of RCI agents. In a few minutes we were led outside to load the bags in a box truck. Then, we were directed to our (airport style) bus. Great, informative driver (tipped well). Pence is here, so roads were closed some, but opened as we left. Along the way, we saw some devastation, but it wasn't as bad as we thought it would look. 15 later we were at the cruise terminal. It looked normal.

Along the way, we talked to a few locals. Some have stories of home problems. Most seem to want to downplay the situation to us. As day turned to night, there are a few hotels with lights on, so it's not a blackout.

I have faith in the positive attitude of our fellow citizens. They are a proud state (quasi) that will bounce back.

Dan

Thank you for bringing this over to this thread and thank you to the OP on the original thread. Happy cruising!