Any update on cruises scheduled to leave from Puerto Rico?

mixplix

Hotel situation must still be pretty bad since Carnival Fascination is now going to be used by FEMA until January. I thought maybe Adventure would do the same, but an older Fantasy class ship could be used by FEMA at a lower rate than Adventure if I was to guess.

I could be wrong (if so someone will certainly correct me;)), but I thought I'd heard that the dock in Old San Juan was still not functional and I believe that's the dock Carnival uses, isn't it? Maybe that's why they were willing to provide that ship to the relief efforts? I would think they get some sort of break (tax wise?) from donating the ship to the cause?? I was booked on a Carnival cruise years ago that was supposed to sail from Mobile, Alabama. The ship ended up being offered to New Orleans as temporary housing for Katrina victims and we had to choose a different cruise. We ended up going out of Tampa on a somewhat more modern ship and the cost was higher. We got an OBC, but we HAD to pay the increased cost for the cruise. We ended up downgrading to inside cabins to afford the cost difference.

Hotel situation must still be pretty bad since Carnival Fascination is now going to be used by FEMA until January. I thought maybe Adventure would do the same, but an older Fantasy class ship could be used by FEMA at a lower rate than Adventure if I was to guess.

Smaller ship also. 2,000 pax capacity compared to 3,000+ for AD so maybe that didn't need as many cabins as AD offers.

Maybe I misread something but sounded to me like it would be housing workers in USVI....St T, St C, or ST J rather than PR.

I could be wrong (if so someone will certainly correct me;)), but I thought I'd heard that the dock in Old San Juan was still not functional and I believe that's the dock Carnival uses, isn't it? Maybe that's why they were willing to provide that ship to the relief efforts? I would think they get some sort of break (tax wise?) from donating the ship to the cause?? I was booked on a Carnival cruise years ago that was supposed to sail from Mobile, Alabama. The ship ended up being offered to New Orleans as temporary housing for Katrina victims and we had to choose a different cruise. We ended up going out of Tampa on a somewhat more modern ship and the cost was higher. We got an OBC, but we HAD to pay the increased cost for the cruise. We ended up downgrading to inside cabins to afford the cost difference.

The dock must have been fixed or was in good enough shape if they were going to resume cruises from there this Sunday.

Carnival did not donate the ship. It was chartered by FEMA so the government will be paying for the use of the ship.

Bill

Royal Caribbean leadership just returned from visits to San Juan and St. Thomas, and are planning a visit to St. Maarten on Monday. We were very impressed with the progress the islands are making to rebuild, and all three destinations are looking forward to welcoming back Royal Caribbean guests before the end of the year. In the next two weeks, working in conjunction with the local governments, we will announce the specific dates of our return to each of the islands.

With Royal saying that, why are they even sailing out of San Juan if the port isn't even ready for passengers until 'end of the year'?

I'm waiting until last minute to lose 50% on my Nov 19th cruise incase they decide to cancel it (I doubt they would).

I am just hoping as I can use that 50% towards a real honeymoon, not a game of survivor.

With Royal saying that, why are they even sailing out of San Juan if the port isn't even ready for passengers until 'end of the year'?

I'm waiting until last minute to lose 50% on my Nov 19th cruise incase they decide to cancel it (I doubt they would).

I am just hoping as I can use that 50% towards a real honeymoon, not a game of survivor.

Exactly. With airlines still canceling flights (Westjet just cancelled all flights from Canada to PR through the end of the year) and hotels being occupied by FEMA staff, this is clearly not about RCL "supporting" PR so much as it is about not wanting to refund pax, as have hotels and airlines on these cancellations.

Exactly. With airlines still canceling flights (Westjet just cancelled all flights from Canada to PR through the end of the year) and hotels being occupied by FEMA staff, this is clearly not about RCL "supporting" PR so much as it is about not wanting to refund pax, as have hotels and airlines on these cancellations.

Yep, what he said.

k.

Why would they cancel that cruise?

How is it not supporting them by employing people and spending money?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

How is it not supporting them by employing people and spending money?

Okay, let's review. Last week's cruise, they picked people up at the airport, drove them to the ship and then didn't let them off in PR. They're are protecting their revenue but their pax aren't even able to spend in PR.

Hello,

Thank you for your most recent e-mail.

The below statement is in reference to itineraries that had affected islands as one of the ports of call. It does not apply to itineraries that included San Juan as the boarding and departure port. Once again, our response remains the same.

Great customer support from the corporate office. How hard is it for them to refund the entire cruise as a one time exception to make MY life easier?

Royal is the first company I've encountered that could care less about their customers.

Great customer support from the corporate office. How hard is it for them to refund the entire cruise as a one time exception to make MY life easier?

Royal is the first company I've encountered that could care less about their customers.

How hard is it for you to turn it into your insurance? It is not their responsibility to pay your insurance payout.

Okay, let's review. Last week's cruise, they picked people up at the airport, drove them to the ship and then didn't let them off in PR. They're are protecting their revenue but their pax aren't even able to spend in PR.
They still gave pay checks and payes Port fees for every passenger. While there was not a ton of impact on the local economy, it was more than if they just left. As things open (hotels, restaurants, etc), more time and money will be spent.

How much money would have been spent in the local economy of they just cancelled, and pasted none of that?

They still gave pay checks and payes Port fees for every passenger. While there was not a ton of impact on the local economy, it was more than if they just left. As things open (hotels, restaurants, etc), more time and money will be spent.

How much money would have been spent in the local economy of they just cancelled, and pasted none of that?

RCL is a vacation seller. I am a vacation buyer. Neither purports to be a charity.

How hard is it for RCL to act like every other travel provider, like the airlines, car rentals and hotels, which waived cancellation fees?
Why is it their responsibility to pay you, when your travel insurance covers it?

They will cancel if it can't go, if not, you can decide whether to go out not, that is your decision. If you decide you don't want to go, even though you signed a contract and the keep their end of the contract, then that is your choice.

RCL is a vacation seller. I am a vacation buyer. Neither purports to be a charity.
And they are fulfilling the contract you signed. Not sure how you can sign a contract, have the other party delivery what they said they would and then you get pissed at them. As you said, they are a business, and are giving you the vacation you paid for. Buyer's remorse does not mean the company is you something.

Why is it their responsibility to pay you, when your travel insurance covers it?

They will cancel if it can't go, if not, you can decide whether to go out not, that is your decision. If you decide you don't want to go, even though you signed a contract and the keep their end of the contract, then that is your choice.

All I said was they are unlike any other travel provider I can think of, in their refusal to be flexible in what is clearly a less than ideal situation. If I'm wrong, feel free to point it out. Otherwise, keep up your rah rah and maybe a free drink of the day is coming your way.

All I said was they are unlike any other travel provider I can think of, in their refusal to be flexible in what is clearly a less than ideal situation. If I'm wrong, feel free to point it out. Otherwise, keep up your rah rah and maybe a free drink of the day is coming your way.
You are saying they should pay you because you decided against doing something you signed a contract for. This is not rah rah, this is thinking you should have to take responsibility for your actions. If you didn't want them to fulfill the contract, why did you sign it.

If you truly don't want to go, cancel and turn the loss into your travel insurance.

You are saying they should pay you because you decided against doing something you signed a contract for. This is not rah rah, this is thinking you should have to take responsibility for your actions. If you didn't want them to fulfill the contract, why did you sign it.

If you truly don't want to go, cancel and turn the loss into your travel insurance.

And again I say (because you seem to type more than you listen) that RCL has chosen to be different than any other travel provider than I or you (it seems) can say. RCL has chosen to be the outlier. That is all I said. Sorry to upset your apple cart. If we need to walk away from our sailing, we will. It will be a speed bump but will not be the end of the world. Will it endear RCL to us? No, it will not. Airlines, hotels and others have waived fees while RCL has clung to fares, whether they are paid by insurance or pax. In either event, it speaks of what motivates RCL compared to other providers (WHICH WAS MY POINT). I wish you well. Those wanting to make an insurance claim need to wait for RCL to say there is a problem (they won't, as they grasp to the dollars) or for it to be impossible to get to their vacations, by which time it will be too late to choose an alternative.

And again I say (because you seem to type more than you listen) that RCL has chosen to be different than any other travel provider than I or you (it seems) can say. RCL has chosen to be the outlier. That is all I said. Sorry to upset your apple cart. If we need to walk away from our sailing, we will. It will be a speed bump but will not be the end of the world. Will it endear RCL to us? No, it will not. Airlines, hotels and others have waived fees while RCL has clung to fares, whether they are paid by insurance or pax. In either event, it speaks of what motivates RCL compared to other providers (WHICH WAS MY POINT). I wish you well. Those wanting to make an insurance claim need to wait for RCL to say there is a problem (they won't, as they grasp to the dollars) or for it to be impossible to get to their vacations, by which time it will be too late to choose an alternative.

You can't really compare a ship to an airplane or a hotel. The airline can cancel flights and not pay the flight crew. The hotel can send employees home and not pay them. (Although from what I am hearing most hotels are actually "operating" but housing workers rather than vacationers. So they are still getting revenue from FEMA or other agencies.) A cruise ship has 1,000+ employees Under contract. They still must pay, house, and feed those employees. They can't just put them on flights home and then say "come back" in a week or even a month. Also, those cruise ship employees need the tips they earn. As evidenced by many posts on social media, emails people have received, and answered calls when people have called the islands....the hotels, restaurants, and retailers WANT and NEED the tourists to come back as soon as possible. Granted....the vacation is not going to be to "Paradise" as folks imagined....but the cruise is going to be great, the folks on the ship are going to give you great service and the people of the islands are going to be thankful to have you and your tourist dollars on the island!

Why should they make an exception just for you? And you do realise that they 'could care less' that means they do care ;)

Besides you said on a post some days ago that you had cancelled your cruise anyway so I'm confused :confused: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54238648&postcount=495

How hard is it for RCL to act like every other travel provider, like the airlines, car rentals and hotels, which waived cancellation fees?

You obviously had refundable/cancellable rental car and hotel situations. Or those businesses were going to be closed. Airlines were refunding or changing because THEY couldn't fulfill their end of the bargain. They *have to* allow you to change if they've cancelled flights etc.

That is why they are behaving differently. Because they are different and the contract is different.