?? Tips included or not in Specialty Restaurants?

Grandma7

I thought when I cruised last year that gratuities were included with price of Specialty Restaurants, but when I just looked at the website at dining pkgs,,under view details, it said it little print that gratuities were not included. Now I am confused. Which is it??

I thought when I cruised last year that gratuities were included with price of Specialty Restaurants, but when I just looked at the website at dining pkgs,,under view details, it said it little print that gratuities were not included. Now I am confused. Which is it??

If you have pre-paid your gratuities, then the staff are 'covered'. If not, then gratuities are not included for any of the staff. Either way, if you feel you have had great service, then tip accordingly.

The gratuity for the specialty restaurants is part of the up charge and not part of the general gratuity. If you receive outstanding service, then an additional gratuity can be added to your zero balance bill ( assuming you had drinks and they were covered by your beverage package.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As what was stated by Tanzania2015, the gratuity is included in the cover charge. We have always added an additional gratuity for the outstanding service we've received. The website is most likely incorrect. Since the launch of the new site about 5 months ago there have been numerous errors and omissions which are being corrected VERY slowly.

The gratuity for the specialty restaurants is part of the up charge and not part of the general gratuity. If you receive outstanding service, then an additional gratuity can be added to your zero balance bill ( assuming you had drinks and they were covered by your beverage package.)

t - this just caught me off guard, per the website, amongst other items, gratuities are no longer included in the Specialty Dining fee... not sure when this changed, but that is fine, for me.

We always tip in the SD's regardless, now I have to factor a bit more...

bon voyage

I was always under the impression that the $50 or so up charge covered the gratuity. But on our last several cruises we always got a significant discount for booking specialty dining sometime as much as 50%. Does that end up coming out of the servers pocket? Service has been so good that we always added something and in the case of the 50% discount we added the amount of the discount in addition back onto the check. Still, just curious of how the frequent discounts affect the servers.

I was always under the impression that the $50 or so up charge covered the gratuity. But on our last several cruises we always got a significant discount for booking specialty dining sometime as much as 50%. Does that end up coming out of the servers pocket? Service has been so good that we always added something and in the case of the 50% discount we added the amount of the discount in addition back onto the check. Still, just curious of how the frequent discounts affect the servers.

s - we do the same as you, yet in the past gratuities have always been part of the fee. I guess with the discounting something had to give.

Yes, it comes or still yet, never gets into the servers pocket since it is dependent on patrons to pay gratuities.

Thank you again - bon voyage

On Equinox last April .. In Murano one night using a dining package, at the end of the night we asked for a slip to add a tip, We were advised no tipping necessary. Later, we were in Tuscan Grill and they brought us a 0 balance slip ..where we did add a tip. In Murano, we left cash on the table, just didn't feel right not leaving a tip for excellent service. Just interesting between Tuscan and Murano. When thinking about the uncharge at $50 or $45 per person, it should cover the tip .. but like others, we normally get these packages significantly discounted so we always tip at the end of the meal.

Sometimes I wish Celebrity would adopt the policies of the luxury cruse lines, where there was no need to think about tipping, drinks etc .. given that there are so many "add ons" these days, I would rather have the cruise price reflect the correct amount so we could just go and enjoy without all the up charges .. but I guess there are enough guests who don't participate and depend on the lower prices without add ons.. Some day I'm going to figure out what we actually spend in uncharges, plus cruise fare and see how far off the total price is when compared to a luxury line like Seaborn. Anyone ever compare the two?

Well, is the tip included or isn't it?

After reading this thread I'm confused now. We've always assumed it was included in the fee .... we did leave something for good service, though.

Yes or No?

No, as per X's website as of last week.

bon voyage

The tip IS included for Specialty Restaurants. This is so even if it has been discounted. You just have to look at your receipt and it says "An 18% gratuities has been included" and it shows a balance of $0.

We leave an additional tip each time.

Gratuities ARE included in the dining experience. If it exceeded your expectations feel free to add more to the final bill. It's what we do.

Then, again, as I said in post #14, I'd ask onboard. I HAVE asked Guest Services and was told the upcharge fee DID include the 18% gratuity. It's possible Celebrity has changed this. I would trust what the staff onboard say over what X's website says.

Well, if you saw that on your receipt at Murano then your experience was different from ours. We ate at Murano on Eclipse and Equinox and both receipts just listed the total (it would be $50 pp unless you had a discount.) Then there was a line for "Additional Tip."

This was so unclear that although we had left an additional tip it was not what I would have left if I had not thought the 18% was already included...so we immediately went to Guest Services to ask. I planned to go back and leave more if I was misinformed. As I have said, we were told the upcharge fee includes the 18% tip. In our case the receipt was not clear at all and I am certain people tip extra thinking it has not been added.

It would be nice if all specialty restaurants on all X ships had the same wording on the receipts.

For whatever it's worth, the fine print on specialty dining packages state that certain charges, including gratuities are not included in the fee.

Those "certain charges" and gratuities are for any drinks you order if you don't have a beverage package.

Dinner and servers' gratuities are included in the $40-$50 restaurant charge.

Well, if you saw that on your receipt at Murano then your experience was different from ours. We ate at Murano on Eclipse and Equinox and both receipts just listed the total (it would be $50 pp unless you had a discount.) Then there was a line for "Additional Tip."

I would read this to mean there was a tip already included and if you choose to add more then include it in that "additional tip" line. We've always left a bit more, usually $10, but the service would have to be exceptional since 18% to us means very good service.