Did you Sail HAL in August or September, 2017?

sail7seas

No. I have heard it is no longer allowed due to safety regulations ( I think it had to do with food safety)....a forum search should bring it up

This is correct, Sail. The Lido Deck BBQs as well as the elegant buffets created in the MDR are history due to health concerns raised by USPH, I understand. I have been told that HAL is trying to find a way of creating such events and still meet the USPH standards. During my July cruise, no such events took place.

This is correct, Sail. The Lido Deck BBQs as well as the elegant buffets created in the MDR are history due to health concerns raised by USPH, I understand. I have been told that HAL is trying to find a way of creating such events and still meet the USPH standards. During my July cruise, no such events took place.

remember reading USPH was disturbed there was no hand wash sink immdiafely beside the serving sgtations vbut thewr is one neearby. I knew the b'bques sopped for a while but was interestted to learn if it seems to be more pemanent. . thanks all, We did not have one on Veendam in July but didn't know if other ships found a way to offer it again.

As people have pointed out. the Lido deck BBQ's stopped quite a while ago, due to hand washing problems.

That problem could be solved, but will the BBQ's return?

Once Hal realized that they saved money by not doing it and they don't have to go to the effort of setting it up.

Sandra

As people have pointed out. the Lido deck BBQ's stopped quite a while ago, due to hand washing problems.

That problem could be solved, but will the BBQ's return?

Once Hal realized that they saved money by not doing it and they don't have to go to the effort of setting it up.

Sandra

Sandra, You hit on exactly my point. If all it requries is a hand wash sink, it seems HAL is using the lack of a sink as a way to take another feature away from our cruises.

HAL, put in a 'sink'...... is it that hard? If it is as simple as I think it might be, Please reconsider the conssant leaking of entertainments, fefures and speicla things thst make us keep sailing HAL. As they continue tto diminish the produc\t,, at what pointt do they degrade the appealt they hold for us?

As people have pointed out. the Lido deck BBQ's stopped quite a while ago, due to hand washing problems. That problem could be solved, but will the BBQ's return? Once Hal realized that they saved money by not doing it and they don't have to go to the effort of setting it up. Sandra
Sandra, You hit on exactly my point. If all it requries is a hand wash sink, it seems HAL is using the lack of a sink as a way to take another feature away from our cruises. HAL, put in a 'sink'...... is it that hard? If it is as simple as I think it might be, Please reconsider the constant leaking of entertainments, feafures and speiial things that make us keep sailing HAL. As they continue tto diminish the produc\t,, at what pointt do they degrade the appealt they hold for us? Someone or a num ber of 'someones' mustt have tthough those barbeques a good thing to offer HAL c ruisers and many cruisers must have enjoyed it or why did the ships do it for so long? At what point did " they" decide it is a good idea to eliminate it? The same genuisess that eliminated the cruise logs?

Sandra, You hit on exactly my point. If all it requries is a hand wash sink, it seems HAL is using the lack of a sink as a way to take another feature away from our cruises.

HAL, put in a 'sink'...... is it that hard? If it is as simple as I think it might be, Please reconsider the conssant leaking of entertainments, fefures and speicla things thst make us keep sailing HAL. As they continue tto diminish the produc\t,, at what pointt do they degrade the appealt they hold for us?

We keep coming back don't we?

I love Hal and other cruise lines are cutting back too, so I guess we will have to live with cutbacks.

Sandra

We keep coming back don't we?

I love Hal and other cruise lines are cutting back too, so I guess we will have to live with cutbacks.

Sandra

WE do NOT have to live with cutbacks on cruises. That is diiscresetionary spending.

I have no knowledge of how many no long er come back, or come b ack less often?

Too much extra work for the food department. Hand washing issue is an excuse....could be easily solved.

Thanksdfor confirming my viewpoint on the issue. They ran those barvbeques for a long time and must have semed a good idea for all that time ....... Now they found a 'way' to take something else away from our on board experience. We DO NOT have to accept that. We do NOT HAVE to curise, When do wqe sffarrf leftfing ffhem know some of us are not accepting of all the cut backs? Now we have to just about beg to to get ap aper brochure from them. ridiciulous.. JMO but I am not one to 'suffer quietly' and just acept what gets tossed at me. We do nOT hAVE to roll with it.

Edited by sail7seas

As I understand the issue that USPH has, it is not just hand-washing. It is keeping food at the proper temperature either on a MDR buffet or during a deck BBQ for the length of time that the food is available. A lack of the "sneeze guard" protection also was a concern. (That could be easily corrected, I think.) But, it is the temperature issue that may be the main one. For a period of 2-3 hours, how does one keep cold food " properly cold" during a deck BBQ? And, the same concern was expressed for foods that ought to be kept "at or above a certain temperature".

As I understand the issue that USPH has, it is not just hand-washing. It is keeping food at the proper temperature either on a MDR buffet or during a deck BBQ for the length of time that the food is available. A lack of the "sneeze guard" protection also was a concern. (That could be easily corrected, I think.) But, it is the temperature issue that may be the main one. For a period of 2-3 hours, how does one keep cold food " properly cold" during a deck BBQ? And, the same concern was expressed for foods that ought to be kept "at or above a certain temperature".

Ice and sterno? That's how a lot of hotels and restaurants do it i believe.

I wonder if any other cruise lines are still have Lido Deck BBQs? We had a wonderful one on the Hawaiian cruise a couple of years ago. So sad.

Ice and sterno? That's how a lot of hotels and restaurants do it i believe.

No expert here. And, I am aware that this is what I remember that HAL was also doing these pleasant events: ice and sterno.

Why, all of a sudden, such was not "enough" for an USPH inspector, I don't know.

I know I was concerned about a lido pool BBQ. It was dark, we couldn't see what was on offer and I figured the cooks could not see what they were doing. Hot and cold foods appeared to be stored in plastic tubs with no provision for keeping items hot or cold as required. No sneeze guards, every tong or serving spoon handle was greasy or sticky. I am sure any restaurant inspector anywhere would have found numerous violations, but there was no mass poisoning. That which does not kill us...