US Citizens Warned to Avoid Cuba

BirdTravels

US Department of State Advises:

On September 29, the Department ordered the departure of non-emergency personnel assigned to the U.S. Embassy in Havana, as well as all family members. Until the Government of Cuba can ensure the safety of our diplomats in Cuba, our Embassy will be reduced to emergency personnel in order to minimize the number of diplomats at risk of exposure to harm.

In conjunction with the ordered departure of our diplomatic personnel, the Department has issued a Travel Warning advising U.S. citizens to avoid travel to Cuba and informing them of our decision to draw down our diplomatic staff. We have no reports that private U.S. citizens have been affected, but the attacks are known to have occurred in U.S. diplomatic residences and hotels frequented by U.S. citizens. The Department does not have definitive answers on the cause or source of the attacks and is unable to recommend a means to mitigate exposure.

US Department of State Advises:.... We have no reports that private U.S. citizens have been affected, but the attacks are known to have occurred in U.S. diplomatic residences and hotels frequented by U.S. citizens. T....

As said, nothing of private citizens at this point. And the attacks are rather unique. Something about sonic/sound waves or something like that which recent news reports indicate they can not figure out.

NCL has posted a statement on the website with regard to Cuba. It appears things will remain status quo with regard to their cruises to Cuba.

Given how every earnings call has trumpeted the revenue that the Cuba cruises are generating this doesn't seem to be a surprise.

As said, nothing of private citizens at this point. And the attacks are rather unique. Something about sonic/sound waves or something like that which recent news reports indicate they can not figure out.

We have had US staff members in that same building for more than 30 years, before they named it the Embassy and raised the flag. Who knows what has been going on by the Russians, the Cubans, any other government's group in Havana or even the United States? Sounds more like politics.

bosco

We have had US staff members in that same building for more than 30 years, before they named it the Embassy and raised the flag. Who knows what has been going on by the Russians, the Cubans, any other government's group in Havana or even the United States? Sounds more like politics.

bosco

More than just politics. This is a highly sophisticated and targeted attack that requires specialized weapon grade equipment and careful planning to carry out. And like any communist state, secret police and government agents are everywhere to monitor what's going on 24/7. Doubt an average Cuban can carry this out and escape state detection.

NCL Rebuttal:

Norwegian Cruise Line’s cruises to Havana continue to operate as scheduled. The safety and security of our guests and crew is always our first priority and we continue to maintain the highest security standards as we do in all ports of call. There have been no reported incidents involving tourists or other cruise ship passengers. Reported incidents have been isolated to diplomats and government officials residing on the island. Our shore excursions and tour locations have been thoroughly evaluated and none are military owned or operated. The visa issuing process for our guests remains unchanged. We continue to believe that the best way to travel to Cuba is via cruise ship and look forward to continuing to offer our guests the opportunity to explore Cuba’s beauty, culture and friendly people.

More than just politics. This is a highly sophisticated and targeted attack that requires specialized weapon grade equipment and careful planning to carry out. And like any communist state, secret police and government agents are everywhere to monitor what's going on 24/7. Doubt an average Cuban can carry this out and escape state detection.

Currently there are 110 foreign embassies in HAVANA.

Algeria

Angola

Argentina

Austria

Azerbaijan

Bahamas

Barbados

Belarus

Belgium

Belize

Benin

Bolivia

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Brazil

Bulgaria

Burkina Faso

Cambodia

Canada

Chile

China

Cape Verde

Colombia

Republic of the Congo

Democratic Republic of the Congo

Costa Rica

Côte d'Ivoire

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Djibouti

Dominica

Dominican Republic

Ecuador

Egypt

El Salvador

Equatorial Guinea

Ethiopia

France

Gambia

Germany

Ghana

Greece

Grenada

Guatemala

Guinea

Guinea-Bissau

Guyana

Haiti

Holy See

Honduras

Hungary

India

Indonesia

Iran

Italy

Jamaica

Japan

Kenya

North Korea

Laos

Lebanon

Libya

Malaysia

Mali

Mexico

Mongolia

Mozambique

Namibia

Netherlands

Nicaragua

Nigeria

Norway

Pakistan

Palestine

Panama

Paraguay

Peru

Poland

Portugal

Qatar

Romania

Russia

Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Lucia

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Saudi Arabia

Serbia

Seychelles

Slovakia

Solomon Islands

South Africa

Sovereign Military Order of Malta

Spain

Sri Lanka

Suriname

Sweden

Switzerland

Syria

Timor-Leste

Trinidad and Tobago

Turkey

Ukraine

United Arab Emirates

United Kingdom

United States

Uruguay

Venezuela

Vietnam

Yemen

Zimbabwe

bosco

Don't know why any American would WANT to go to a country that holds us in distain.

Country or people?

If it is countries that disdain us hard to find a place to our North, South or across either ocean that don't and haven't for many years..

If it is people that disdain us it is a toss up and I know for a fact the people of Cuba do NOT hold us in disdain...

bosco

Young man who is the pianist at our church recently returned from Cuba...traveling on his own alone and had a wonderful time. He went into bars/pubs, etc. and played and was warmly received. Whatever is going on is not about cruise passengers who spend the night on their ships or the Cuban people.

Young man who is the pianist at our church recently returned from Cuba...traveling on his own alone and had a wonderful time. He went into bars/pubs, etc. and played and was warmly received. Whatever is going on is not about cruise passengers who spend the night on their ships or the Cuban people.

Just did the same. Took my 77 year old Mom for 4 days and stayed in an Airbnb with a local family in a residential area just outside Havana. Had a wonderful time. Everyone I met was very welcoming.

Just did the same. Took my 77 year old Mom for 4 days and stayed in an Airbnb with a local family in a residential area just outside Havana. Had a wonderful time. Everyone I met was very welcoming.

My daughter & a friend cruised there last month and like you found the people to be so very nice. They did a walking tour with a local woman. My daughter remembered she didn't buy the cigars my son requested. The woman offered to buy them for her & meet her by the ship the next day to give them to her. My daughter handed her the money with trust that she would return the next day as promised & the woman did as promised.

Don't know why any American would WANT to go to a country that holds us in distain.

My answer is: to keep traveling, to make friends around the world, and to be a thoughtful representative of our country. The whole concept behind People to People. I will post my thoughts on the experience when I return next Friday.

:confused: Considering there is a travel warning, will NCL waive cancellation penalty for those who wish to cancel their cruise based on the United Staes travel warning?

NCL Rebuttal:

Norwegian Cruise Line’s cruises to Havana continue to operate as scheduled. The safety and security of our guests and crew is always our first priority and we continue to maintain the highest security standards as we do in all ports of call. There have been no reported incidents involving tourists or other cruise ship passengers. Reported incidents have been isolated to diplomats and government officials residing on the island. Our shore excursions and tour locations have been thoroughly evaluated and none are military owned or operated. The visa issuing process for our guests remains unchanged. We continue to believe that the best way to travel to Cuba is via cruise ship and look forward to continuing to offer our guests the opportunity to explore Cuba’s beauty, culture and friendly people.

:confused: Considering there is a travel warning, will NCL waive cancellation penalty for those who wish to cancel their cruise based on the United Staes travel warning?

OR

Based on the travel warning, what if NCL would change the itineraries, because the safety of their passengers is their prime concern, and replace Havana with a Bahamas stop. Contract says they can do that and owe you nothing. Might be a few angry people posting on here.

No, I called my TA and NCL stance is the cruise is on

NCL and DCL were very proactive with the situation in Turkey last year and travel warnings. They were first to drop Turkey and NCL was able to procure good replacement ports. Other lines including Celebrity, Carnival and HAL waited a considerable amount of time and if I recall at least Carnival ended up just having sea days instead. At the time people were up in arms about flying all that way for sea days when they could have jumped on a boat in Florida for a fraction of costs.... but there's not much you can do when things like this happen. There was direct warnings of targeted areas including cruise ports, tourist areas.. with the Turkey situation and I found it alarming that Celibrity and HAL hadn't reworked their itineraries. I would find some solace in the fact that if past behavior and reputation is any indication of future success, NCL has a great reputation when it comes to working on port procurement and risk assessment. I'm sure they will be delivering the best possible itineraries. In this case, I'd trust that NCL is doing what is in passengers best interest and go with the flow.