How to avoid Room Service Charge

$7.95 isn't going to "break the bank" as some has said. But after cruising for years and not paying anything it really does become about the principle. What's next? Charge for plain coffee? Lemonade? Tenders? Shows? Adventure Ocean? Exercise room? Where does it stop? Adding charges like this one at a time will eventually lead to extra charges for everything if people like some on here just say oh well it isn't going to break the bank. It was free, keep it free or charge more upfront for the cruise if you're losing money. Apparently most here do not live on a budget but we do. We chose healthcare as our profession.:rolleyes: No it won't break our bank but one HUGE advantage to cruising has always been being able to know pretty much the costs before we ever go. I don't want to figure that we need to budget a lot more money to cover things like room service etc. The drink packages were a great advantage because that really was the only unknown and could be budgeted for and paid in advance. How dare anyone tell someone if they can't afford it then don't cruise. SHAME ON YOU! The whole world isn't wealthy.....

I've brought back food even when room service was free. After 10 or 11 pm the choices on Royal really do become very limited. Being a diabetic I need food at the ready or can be in big trouble. I hardly ever have room for desert after dinner so I frequently have taken it with me, eaten at the show (didn't spoil it for anyone). Most of the time it's gone before the show starts because I get there early to save seats;p;p;p;p

$7.95 isn't going to "break the bank" as some has said. But after cruising for years and not paying anything it really does become about the principle. What's next? Charge for plain coffee? Lemonade? Tenders? Shows? Adventure Ocean? Exercise room? Where does it stop? Adding charges like this one at a time will eventually lead to extra charges for everything if people like some on here just say oh well it isn't going to break the bank. It was free, keep it free or charge more upfront for the cruise if you're losing money. Apparently most here do not live on a budget but we do. We chose healthcare as our profession.:rolleyes: No it won't break our bank but one HUGE advantage to cruising has always been being able to know pretty much the costs before we ever go. I don't want to figure that we need to budget a lot more money to cover things like room service etc. The drink packages were a great advantage because that really was the only unknown and could be budgeted for and paid in advance. How dare anyone tell someone if they can't afford it then don't cruise. SHAME ON YOU! The whole world isn't wealthy.....

I've brought back food even when room service was free. After 10 or 11 pm the choices on Royal really do become very limited. Being a diabetic I need food at the ready or can be in big trouble. I hardly ever have room for desert after dinner so I frequently have taken it with me, eaten at the show (didn't spoil it for anyone). Most of the time it's gone before the show starts because I get there early to save seats;p;p;p;p

Excellent! We aren’t wealthy and have to work hard and save to take a vacation, and generally can’t take a cruise every year. As you said, the attitude of “well, it’s not going to break the bank,” is the exact reason why they added the charge. They’re simply testing the waters with efforts to extract more money from their passengers, until they reach the breaking point. Agree, what’s next? As long as a majority of people are willing to pay for something, “the man”will find a way to charge for it. If the revenue drops off due to the $8 room service charge, RCI would have three options. One, reduce the charge and see if more are willing to take the bait. Two, eliminate the charge and restore the service as it used to be. Three, eliminate room service all together, and hope it doesn’t affect bookings.

A sincere question (or two):

Do you pay extra for a seat on an airplane?

Do you pay the Early Bird fee on Southwest?

It comes down to whether or not each of us finds value for the price being charged. Each of us have very different values and perspectives. What is important to one, may not be important to another.

I always have early dinner seating, and am often ready for a little "snack" around 10 or 11pm. It all depends on the timing, and how hungry/tired I am. I'm willing to pay to have room service, but it can be quicker, and just as easy, to breeze into the WJ before it closes. (It also seems silly to spend $7.95 when all I want is a small snack.) I'll grab a plate of cheese and fruit to take back to my cabin to enjoy while catching up on emails/messages. (I usually have to do some work while cruising, and do it right before bed.) To me, room service is one of those sinfully self-indulgent things I've always enjoyed about vacation. $7.95 won't stop me from ordering, but it will cut back on how often I'm willing to do so.

Honestly, I wish they would just roll everything into the price and be done with it. It's not just RCI and the airlines, everyone seems to be doing it now.

There are lines that do that. But the cost of the cruise is much higher.

And most people shop purely on base price.

It's not that I do not have the money for the rooms ervice charge, here it's just about the system, and the principle.

Many years ago, until last year it was certainly that this kind of service is free, and you pay 13.50$ tips a day, and there I think it's self-evident to have such a service included in your cruise fare when booking a 4-star-ship, isn't it?

It's just a purpose to earn extra revenue, and I would not support it!

And a stateroom attendant also gets paid for bringing the food to the room service.

And: It's the same food that's onboard either way and you could have without extra fees when going to a restaurant.

So why not in your stateroom as well?

Room service is delivered by room service staff, not your room attendant.

I see two reasons for RCI doing this. 1) Offset the cost of the staff required to deliver the room service, and 2) To reduce the load on room service so they can provide more timely service.

On the second point, I have seen posts on CC that discussed very long waits for room service before the charge, and much shorter waits now.

A sincere question (or two):

Do you pay extra for a seat on an airplane?

Do you pay the Early Bird fee on Southwest?

Yes, for upgraded seats.

No, I don't fly SouthWorst.

Funny, people complaining about nickle and diming, and liking SW. They used to advertise air fare without ANY taxes or fees. It took an Act of Congress to get them to stop doing this.

And there is a reason SW is not on any of the booking sites. :)

I see two reasons for RCI doing this. 1) Offset the cost of the staff required to deliver the room service, and 2) To reduce the load on room service so they can provide more timely service.

On the second point, I have seen posts on CC that discussed very long waits for room service before the charge, and much shorter waits now.

I just think when booking such a cruise line it’s self-evident to get such a service.

We have booked Anthem for next year and I am aware of this, and I know I could not have room service.

But I think all those arguments for the charge are just alibi to mention reasons for creating extra revenue...

Not true, at least in our experience. On our previous Medit. cruises breakfast room service was available for delivery prior to 6AM. On our Aug. Brilliance Medit. cruises breakfast was only available after 6AM and longer wait as they constantly missed the 6AM time due to the large demands. Since our tours began early and rooms service was unreliable ,I used the ice bucket tray to get our breakfast from the WJ and dine in our cabin.

Why bother discussing room service charges - they are just a part of the unbundling of cruise services. What used to be an essentially all-included experience is now a bare-bones trip with a la carte enhancements:

Good food was served in the MDR - now basic grub, with the option of good food if you pay extra.

Access to the whole ship was assumed - now there are sanctuaries, lounges, cabanas - whatever, for those who want to pay more.

Theatre was open to all - now reservations or preferred seating for those who pay.

Superior cabin service was provided - now stewards are overtaxed - but suite passengers get butlers.

Boarding involved a bit of a wait - now those who pay extra wait less - obviously pushing others to the end of the line.

Lines used to let you bring your own wine on board - now it is sharply limited or banned outright. NCL now even bans bringing water on board.

The business has evolved into a game in which fewer (and more meager) elements are covered by the fare -- free room service was likely the most obvious thing to hit.

Yes, for upgraded seats.

No, I don't fly SouthWorst.

Funny, people complaining about nickle and diming, and liking SW. They used to advertise air fare without ANY taxes or fees. It took an Act of Congress to get them to stop doing this.

And there is a reason SW is not on any of the booking sites. :)

It wasn't just SW. It was an industry-wide practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This comes closest to my thoughts.....Mega size ships....reduced room service staff....rather than increasing required staff to accommodate the larger volume. Our last cruise on Anthem we did use room service, three times, it did not break the vacation budget. Service was very quick......

If you want to avoid the room service charge ask your Dining Room waiter/waiteress to box up a Cheese Platter or something non perishable to either bring back to the stateroom or for the show.

I am going to try this tip I learned on Royal Caribbean Blog and ask them for an extra cheese platter to have during the show along with a slice of cake.

Or for a midnight snack bring something that is easy to refrigerate like a slice of cake or the cheese platter. You can go up to the Windjammer and supplement it with other goodies.

Have you tried this?

You have way to much time on your hands...:rolleyes:

This comes closest to my thoughts.....Mega size ships....reduced room service staff....rather than increasing required staff to accommodate the larger volume. Our last cruise on Anthem we did use room service, three times, it did not break the vacation budget. Service was very quick......

But a lot of the posts in this thread points to why the added the nominal charge.

People were ordering room service for some cookies. With the charge, people will not use room service for small snack orders.

And also, virtually every hotel I have stayed in had room service charges. Many times much higher than RCIs, and often a fixed fee PLUS a percentage of the bill PLUS mandatory gratuity.

But a lot of the posts in this thread points to why the added the nominal charge.

People were ordering room service for some cookies. With the charge, people will not use room service for small snack orders.

And also, virtually every hotel I have stayed in had room service charges. Many times much higher than RCIs, and often a fixed fee PLUS a percentage of the bill PLUS mandatory gratuity.

Thank you!! [emoji1373]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Personally I miss the items in the mini bar. I travel with my mom who sometimes quickly needs a snack or a soda after she takes dialysis on the ship early in the morning, and it was convenient having it right in the room for a quick grab instead of having to go to another venue to grab something to bring to the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I miss the items in the mini bar. I travel with my mom who sometimes quickly needs a snack or a soda after she takes dialysis on the ship early in the morning, and it was convenient having it right in the room for a quick grab instead of having to go to another venue to grab something to bring to the room.

With the new method, you can still stock the mini bar if you like. You just have to request it.

With the new method, you can still stock the mini bar if you like. You just have to request it.

REALLY! I had no idea! Wish I’d known 2 weeks ago but now I know for next year. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It occurs to me that if I can't afford room service I probably shouldn't be on the cruise to begin with.

I don't think many cruisers are unable to afford an $8 charge. The real question is whether it's a wise use of money -- whether it's a good value. Spending just because you're able to spend makes no sense.

Can I have some clarification with respect to the Continental Breakfast which I understand is still free for the Harmony of the Seas. Can someone who has cruised Harmony OTS of late advise whether we can order coffee and toast and yogurt the night before by placing an order request on the door handle (I do this on Princess all the time) or do we have to call Room Service between 6 am and 11 am to order our coffee and Toast??

Or stock it yourself. As has been mentioned, cookies, cheese plates, etc from WJ.

Cans of soda might be a problem, but in that case, bring some on. But somewhere in my memory was that you can buy cans at the bars.

If you need things like packages of candy, perfect timing, buy next week on after Halloween sale. :D