How to avoid Room Service Charge

Or stock it yourself. As has been mentioned, cookies, cheese plates, etc from WJ.

Cans of soda might be a problem, but in that case, bring some on. But somewhere in my memory was that you can buy cans at the bars.

If you need things like packages of candy, perfect timing, buy next week on after Halloween sale. :D

I believe yiou can fill out a form in the stateroom to order a 6-pack of soda for the mini-bar.

Can I have some clarification with respect to the Continental Breakfast which I understand is still free for the Harmony of the Seas. Can someone who has cruised Harmony OTS of late advise whether we can order coffee and toast and yogurt the night before by placing an order request on the door handle (I do this on Princess all the time) or do we have to call Room Service between 6 am and 11 am to order our coffee and Toast??

Yes, on the door handle.

• 6 months later...
I've had nights when I didn't feel like changing into better clothes and I've gone to the dining room and ordered an escargot to go. They've brought it to me on a covered plate and I take it up to the Windjammer and have it with my dinner there. Gotta have my escargot.

Is this on RC, as that is the thread this is on. I know on NCL, they will not allow you to take something from the dining room EXCEPT in the speciality dining room where they did deliver it to my room, but maybe it was because you pay for each item a la carte (although we used a speciality restaurant coupon.)

Is $7.95 really gonna break the bank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, IMHO, something at sometime and somewhere will break anybody's bank. For instance if my husband and I had deluxe drink packages, bought photo packages, ordered room service every day/night, went on ship's tours every port, and used the spa onboard, it would definitely break our bank. But, that doesn't mean we shouldn't cruise; it just means we pick and choose what to pay for on our cruises.

Taking a plate back to the cabin is no big deal, whether you are trying to avoid a RS charge or not. It's common and happens all the time. My husband loves oatmeal cookies, and when he finds them somewhere on the ship, he takes a plate to the cabin.

Every cruise we get several plates of nibbles / goodies delivered to our cabin, so there's no harm/no foul to "deliver" them to yourself! :D

If it is such a trivial amount I guess RCI doesn't need it and can include it at no charge like they did for 40years

I agree with you completely, no one should judge another if they complain about something. I disagree completely with those who say that if you can't afford it don't take cruises, FREE room service is one of the pleasures of cruising so now I know, I will take cruises on lines only that include that (one of the reasons and I guess this should be on the thread about food waste is that I DO like to taste all the courses, and it would take up too much space on the table-I DID a couple of times convince people at my table to serve plates family style so everyone could try each dish but know that will not happen often) wish they had small plates as do not want a large entree but unfortunately it's not done due to probably the extra time that cooking different courses would take, and if served in my room, would not be judged by others about what food I did or did not eat. People who judge others for what they do or do not eat or what other people do or do not want to pay for, are the people in my opinions who should NOT be taking cruises, a cruse should be what one does enjoy doing not worried about what others may think.

Probably should not take food in the theater but sometimes if one doesn't have time to eat, and wants to get a good seat and has to go there a half hour early, I can see why one would take it, I don't as it's too much of a hassle although on a small ship on HAL from Africa to England (30 days starting from $999) I did bring it in for the afternoon lectures.

There's so much I'd like to say on this subject but I'm sure you would never see the post. I get a kick out of all the politically correct people and those that see nothing wrong with the entire premise of the post. In a nutshell, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

I agree with you completely, no one should judge another if they complain about something. I disagree completely with those who say that if you can't afford it don't take cruises, FREE room service is one of the pleasures of cruising so now I know, I will take cruises on lines only that include that (one of the reasons and I guess this should be on the thread about food waste is that I DO like to taste all the courses, and it would take up too much space on the table-I DID a couple of times convince people at my table to serve plates family style so everyone could try each dish but know that will not happen often) wish they had small plates as do not want a large entree but unfortunately it's not done due to probably the extra time that cooking different courses would take, and if served in my room, would not be judged by others about what food I did or did not eat. People who judge others for what they do or do not eat or what other people do or do not want to pay for, are the people in my opinions who should NOT be taking cruises, a cruse should be what one does enjoy doing not worried about what others may think.

Probably should not take food in the theater but sometimes if one doesn't have time to eat, and wants to get a good seat and has to go there a half hour early, I can see why one would take it, I don't as it's too much of a hassle although on a small ship on HAL from Africa to England (30 days starting from $999) I did bring it in for the afternoon lectures.

My husband frequently likes to have two entrees, so he asks for an appetizer size portion of the second one. He has done this on RCCL, Princess, HAL, NCL, and Celebrity.

We take our desserts to our room probably 3 or 4 nights a week. Time's awasting. The dining experience takes a while, why waste time eating it there? We take ours to the room, then go to the shows or bars and it's waiting for us when we come in late...has nothing to do with a service fee.

There's so much I'd like to say on this subject but I'm sure you would never see the post. I get a kick out of all the politically correct people and those that see nothing wrong with the entire premise of the post. In a nutshell, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

What post? You’re not making sense.

Is this on RC, as that is the thread this is on. I know on NCL, they will not allow you to take something from the dining room EXCEPT in the speciality dining room where they did deliver it to my room, but maybe it was because you pay for each item a la carte (although we used a speciality restaurant coupon.)

Interesting. Haven't sailed NCL since the Sky and Freestyle first came out around 2000. Guess another plus for Royal....

Another thread "resurrection" but since it was..I'll just add the only time we get something to go after a meal is the Johnny Rockets apple pie (no ice cream) great late night snack.

Haven't ate at JR since first was on Voyager 19 years ago. How is the Apple Pie?

If you want to avoid the room service charge ask your Dining Room waiter/waiteress to box up a Cheese Platter or something non perishable to either bring back to the stateroom or for the show.

I am going to try this tip I learned on Royal Caribbean Blog and ask them for an extra cheese platter to have during the show along with a slice of cake.

Or for a midnight snack bring something that is easy to refrigerate like a slice of cake or the cheese platter. You can go up to the Windjammer and supplement it with other goodies.

Have you tried this?

It is hard enough to have a drink in the showroom, but a cheese platter and cake is over the top ..

Haven't ate at JR since first was on Voyager 19 years ago. How is the Apple Pie?

The apple pie is actually great...much different than anywhere else onboard...more like real homemade. Of course if you eat it there (JR's) it comes with ice cream.

It's not that I do not have the money for the rooms ervice charge, here it's just about the system, and the principle.

Many years ago, until last year it was certainly that this kind of service is free, and you pay 13.50$ tips a day, and there I think it's self-evident to have such a service included in your cruise fare when booking a 4-star-ship, isn't it?

It's just a purpose to earn extra revenue, and I would not support it!

And a stateroom attendant also gets paid for bringing the food to the room service.

And: It's the same food that's onboard either way and you could have without extra fees when going to a restaurant.

So why not in your stateroom as well?

Rule of thumb: when someone says it is not about the money, it is always about the money.

I don’t understand this. If you want room service, pay the charge. If you don’t want room service, then eat your food in the place it is served/available.

I agree. As for the dining room - it is not a "doggy bag" kind of place. Don't think you should ask the waiter to "box"something for you. Go to the Windjammer and get what you want.

I have never used room service other than for breakfast and even then only once on a 7 day cruise. Seems like too much trouble to schlep a doggie bag from the MDR back to the room for a snack that I may or may not eat. As far as a snack for the show, well I just make sure that the cocktail that I order comes with a garnish.

We have sometimes asked our waiter for a cheese plate to take to our room. He/she puts a dome on it and we're set. Now I find they have a much nicer selection of cheeses in the Windjammer so we just go up there and get some to take to our room. I cover the plate with a napkin for the trip to the room.