How to avoid Room Service Charge

So, you're saying you do pay/tip the person retrieving your empty "glass"?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I am not saying that at all. What I will say is I have often times wish they had some sort of a drop off station in the solarium and the pool deck as I would rather bring my used stuff to it rather than just leave it somewhere. This is especially true on the Oasis class ships that have the Solarium Cafe. I'll go in and get a snack to bring back to my lounger and then there is no place to leave a used plate or cup after you are done. I don't like just leaving something where I happened to have been sitting or on a table that is otherwise clean.

There is often cheese, salami, rolls, fruit, and yogurt at the buffet throughout the day. We’ve always just grabbed a plateful for these and stuck them in the mini fridge for late night snacking. Solves the problem of nothing being open late. Plus I like a midnight snack without having to call, wait 30-45 minutes, get dressed, and be limited to the handful of items on the room service menu. Having some snacks in the fridge feels a lot more like home to me.

I agree fully with this train of thought.

I am not saying that at all. What I will say is I have often times wish they had some sort of a drop off station in the solarium and the pool deck ... .

One of the features of Monarch that I miss.

1. I have never heard of a room service delivery being left on the floor outside the cabin.

2. Your neighbor ate food that was sitting on the floor??!?!??!:o:o

They said it was delivered on time. When we left our room we saw the bones of our breakfast on a tray outside our neighbor’s door. Seriously! By that time we had eaten our second ordered breakfast and had enjoyed Hubbard Glacier from our balcony.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am not saying that at all. What I will say is I have often times wish they had some sort of a drop off station in the solarium and the pool deck as I would rather bring my used stuff to it rather than just leave it somewhere. This is especially true on the Oasis class ships that have the Solarium Cafe. I'll go in and get a snack to bring back to my lounger and then there is no place to leave a used plate or cup after you are done. I don't like just leaving something where I happened to have been sitting or on a table that is otherwise clean.

I agree, and I wish that I could bus my own dishes in the Windjammer, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They said it was delivered on time. When we left our room we saw the bones of our breakfast on a tray outside our neighbor’s door. Seriously! By that time we had eaten our second ordered breakfast and had enjoyed Hubbard Glacier from our balcony.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would have guessed that they delivered it to the wrong room: your neighbor's.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree.

Why do people not think about the fact that there is a room service fee in a hotel?

Why do people not think about the fact that there is a huge room service fee in a hospital?

Because it's something totally different.

When we left our room we saw the bones of our breakfast on a tray outside our neighbor’s door. Seriously!

I find it more likely that your neighbor ALSO had room service, and that room service somehow missed or forgot your order.

I hate being nickle and dimed as much as the next guy. Still, I'm on vacation. I paid decent money already. I'm not going to let a few bucks ruin that. When it gets to the point where the money does make a difference, I'll quit taking vacations.

Honestly, I wish they would just roll everything into the price and be done with it. It's not just RCI and the airlines, everyone seems to be doing it now.

I think that Viking's new ocean ship is all inclusive not sure about the river ships.

It used to be "all rolled into one" when we first started cruising. The price 26 years ago was HIGHER than it is now. The three major budget lines (CCL, NCL, RCI) have reduced prices by taking away many of the freebies they used to have.

My opinion is that I like the budget idea. I pay for what I want and not for the things I don't. I have ordered room service occasionally, but not enough to make a difference. I can pay when I want it. Same with alcohol. Those who drink a lot can get a package. We only have 2 drinks a day at most, so I can pay when I want one.

This actually keeps costs down for those who like to cruise often. If you want the all inclusive, pick an all inclusive line. I prefer to pay only for what is important to me and my family, but you can decide to do something else if that works for you. We are all different and expect different things. My cruise experience will be different than your cruise experience. But we can all get along and have a great time together!

OR...........get yourself in the Presidential Suite and you can have all your meals and snacks in your suite free of charge...we are soooo excited to try this for the first time in over 22 years of cruising! Only our second suite ever. But I can't wait to eat dinner on our balcony. You'd be surprised how inexpensive it is too if you share with other couples. Woohoo, just 87 days to go....

We have taken full meals from the MDR back to our room. I was once pretty sick in my stomach so hubby went down and got a plate in case I could eat later in the cabin. If you do the walking, no tip required.

We ask for 6 eggs and some sandwich bread from the WJ ,in the morning we put eggs in the kettle,and my wife toasts the bread with her hair strightners ,yum yum. Best $7.95 ever saved

Must be tough to make an omelette in there. :')

We have not cruised with RCI in 10 years. I thought that room service was free, guess I was wrong. Do I understand from a previous post that continental breakfast from room service is free? That is normally the only time we opt for room service. Gotta have our coffee to get going!!

We have not cruised with RCI in 10 years. I thought that room service was free, guess I was wrong. Do I understand from a previous post that continental breakfast from room service is free? That is normally the only time we opt for room service. Gotta have our coffee to get going!!

Here's the menu with pricing:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/data/dining/room-service/menu/In-Stateroom-Room-Service-Full-Menu-web.pdf

When we are hungry for a snack to have in the cabin, we just pick small bites from the WJ, and always take our used plate back up with us later to drop in a bus boy bucket.

Not trying to avoid paying room service charge...just prefer it that way. More selections to choose from that way also.

Edited by island lady

When we are hungry for a snack to have in the cabin, we just pick small bites from the WJ, and always take our used plate back up with us later to drop in a bus boy bucket.

Not trying to avoid paying room service charge...just prefer it that way. More selections to choose from that way also.

People take food from the Windjammer, and other cafes, to many different places on the ship. A cabin is just another place. I don't see that a trying to avoid room service charges. To someone like me who tends to prefer doing things for himself instead of being waited on, it seems like a very natural thing to do.

I would also rather get it myself. If I am going to eat on the cruise, I am going to take the stairs. For the last 6 cruises, I have been on the elevator twice. If I order room service, I feel that I am being lazy. That's just me, not accusing anyone else of being lazy. I tend to gain weight on cruises. Since we started taking the stairs, it ends up being a couple of pounds. As opposed to 5+ pounds.

People take food from the Windjammer, and other cafes, to many different places on the ship. A cabin is just another place. I don't see that a trying to avoid room service charges. To someone like me who tends to prefer doing things for himself instead of being waited on, it seems like a very natural thing to do.

It's even better if your awesome husband will go get it for you, then you are still waited on. That's what happens in my family.

Totally agree with that! :D

Has anyone tried the wings? The Royal burger? I dont normally order room service a lot but I dont remember chicken wings being on the menu a few years ago. Im taking it the Royal burger replaced what use to be called the bistro burger which I use to think was the best burger on board? Prime Wagyu? Wow

Has anyone tried the wings? The Royal burger?

Most reporting seems to indicate they are pretty good. BTW, some menu items (like the salmon entree and cheesecake) have an additional charge above the flat rate $7.95 (+18% grats of course).