Did You Stick With Your First Cruise Line Or Try Others?

sjmbruce

I am wondering if most people continue to sail with the first cruise line they ever tried or if more people try out several before they find their fit. How did you find your line?

Nope. We're not loyal to any one cruise line. Way too many choices that are the deciding factor who we cruise with.

I tried a couple, before I settled on Crystal. After many years of just Crystal, I added Celebrity to the mix and cruised both and then after many more years added NCL to the mix and now I cruise on all three. I think I have the best of all worlds with these three.

Our 1st cruise was 1985 on the Dolphin which became the Dolphin IV. At the time it was the only ship of Dolphin cruise. They later had the SeaBreeze (which sank off our coast after being sold to Premier), The Ocean Breeze and they built the Royal Majesty (which was sold to NCL and sailed as the Majesty).

We LOVED this little ship! It had 800 passengers and the crew was small enough you got to know them. We had the privilege of having dinner with three different captains. Depending on the captain, the ship was a freighter that was built in 1947, '48 or "50! I'm not sure when it became a cruise ship.

Dolphin Cruise Lines died and the Dolphin was bought by Cape Canaveral cruises, their only ship.

We were on her next to last cruise. There were major engine problems and they didn't have the million +++ to fix her so she went to India. This is where all shops go to be scrapped.

We have been on ships of 5 cruise lines that no longer exist! Dolphin, Premier, Regent, Cape Canaveral Cruises, and Commodore.

Now I guess our favorite is Carnival as we are about to go on our 82nd Carnival cruise. We cruised 12 years before our 1st Carnival. Princess is our next favorite, we're platinum on her ships. However we have also been on NCL (don't like her), RCCL, Celebrity and Costa. And we are retired so cruise a lot.

WE also have New Year's Eve booked on Carnival!

Guess we are cruise-a-holics!

My first cruise was on Princess, followed by RCL ( we didn't like that cruise line and never returned. After that we sailed HAL, a few times on Celebrity a couple Princess and dozens an dozens of HAL. We once sailed carnival (long tsory :)) Atfer I lost my late DH I sailed NCL once and just return from HAL a short time ago.

As someone stated, "Variety is the spice of life". We book according destination desires, time of year for our vacation, $$$ available for the cruise so therefore not loyal to any one line. There are just too many choices to be that loyal. I guess given enough time I'll be a VIP on many lines!

Our first was Disney. Loved it, but way too pricey now. We consider it a treat and got us hooked. We sailed HAL to Alaska because of the itinerary and because it was a special 50th wedding celebration and parents are loyal HAL guests. Royal has had all of the other business because it has something for everyone in the family as our kids were growing up. Willing to try others, but haven't really had a reason to.

Mostly a Royal loyal but tried Celebrity once for itinerary. Liked it, but missed Royal Promenade and wife liked RC’s entertainment better. If you rack up loyalty program rank with RC, you can get some matching benefits in Celebrity’s, and I read something about MSC doing similar recently?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How did you find your line?

There is no such thing as "your line" - if someone only sails with one line, it is more appropriate to refer to him as

"the line's passenger" - rather than the other way around.

Because timing, port, itinerary and cost should all be part of the decision process, it is virtually impossible that any one line would always make the most sense for anyone's booking.

We still sail with my first, my wife had several bad experienced with another cruise line and refuses to sail that line ever again! I picked one that all of my friends recommended and have been completely satisfied. I really do not see a reason to go elsewhere until we start to get bored or unhappy with who we choose to sail with now.

NCL Dream Bermuda June2008

NCL Dream Bermuda Oct. 2008

NCL Spirit Bermuda Sept. 2009

NCL Spirit Boston to Quebec Sept.2009

NCL Spirit Quebec to Boston Oct. 2009

NCL Spirit Bermuda June 2010

NCL Sun W. Caribbean Nov.2010

NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 2011

NCL Dawn Bermuda Oct. 2011

NCL Dawn Bermuda June 8th 2012

NCL Dawn Bermuda June 22 2012

NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept 2012

NCL Dawn Boston to Quebec Oct. 2012

NCL Dawn Quebec to Boston Oct. 2012

NCL Dawn Western Caribbean Apr. 14th 2013

NCL Dawn North bound Repo Apr. 21st 2013

NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 2013

NCL Dawn South bound Repo Nov. 2013

NCL Dawn Bermuda July 11 2014

NCL Dawn Boston to Quebec Sept. 12 2014

NCL Dawn Quebec to Boston Sept. 19 2014

NCL Dawn Bermuda Oct. 10 2014

NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 4 2015

NCL Dawn Bermuda August 26th 2016

NCL Dawn Bermuda June 9th 2017

:evilsmile:

First cruise was on Celebrity, then Disney a couple of times when our kids were little, then we switched to Royal for the price (compared to Disney) and Royals kids programs are good. Kids are grown now so we also cruise Celebrity as well as Royal. After 25 cruises on Royal and 6 or so on Celebrity we are thinking of branching out if we find a price and itinerary that we like.

I am wondering if most people continue to sail with the first cruise line they ever tried or if more people try out several before they find their fit. How did you find your line?

Our first five cruises were on four different cruise lines -- RCCL, Celebrity, NCL, Oceania -- because we usually choose by itinerary and price regardless of cruise line.

Since then we have also cruised on HAL and on Carnival as well as additional cruises on our original cruise lines.

Even though we now cruise mostly on NCL for freestyle it is not "our line" since we still choose by itinerary and price.