Celebrity Misleading Advertizing

dj_crusin

We are booked on the Reflection for a Nov 3 Caribbean cruise.

I have been watching the Nov 17 B2B to possibly extend our cruise. Until yesterday the only cabins that were available were inside and suites. We wanted a veranda. Yesterday we received an E-Mail from Celebrity advertising a "The World is Open" sale. This promotion offered 2 perks per passenger on select sailings. Using the book now selection on the promotion I noticed that a verandah cabin opened late last night. I booked it on-line for approx $950 plus taxes and insurance. I could not see that the perks were added so I put a hold on it.

I called Celebrity this morning and was told that the price I booked at was an "exciting deal" and could not be used for the "World is Open". The price would be $500 pp for the promotion we thought we were receiving.

After 1 hr plus with reservation and resolution reps I gave up.

I believe that the promotion was either false advertising or the web site is messed-up. At no time in the booking process was exciting deal mentioned!

We are seasoned cruisers and the deal was very attractive but not unheard of.

Just passing this along so no one else is mislead.

Dan

Call them back and have them apply the Captians Club loyaloffer to the booking. 350pp discount on 7 day and 500pp on 9 or more. My wife and I did this on Saturday but reservations kept saying it couldn't be done and I kept reading them the promo including the fine print. 1.5 hour later all booked.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[quote name=dj_

I believe that the promotion was either false advertising or the web site is messed-up. At no time in the booking process was exciting deal mentioned!

We are seasoned cruisers and the deal was very attractive but not unheard of.

Just passing this along so no one else is mislead.

Dan[/quote]

I think it may be a bit of both. The website is definitely mess up. I've also become suspicious of cruise line advertising. They all offer big "deals" that at face value seem wonderful. But as the saying goes...if it seems too good to be true, it usually is!

Call them back and have them apply the Captians Club loyaloffer to the booking. 350pp discount on 7 day and 500pp on 9 or more. My wife and I did this on Saturday but reservations kept saying it couldn't be done and I kept reading them the promo including the fine print. 1.5 hour later all booked.

Good luck

I commend you for your perseverance. I've been given the run around before from the reps when I know I'm in the right and know how frustrating that can be. Well done!

I think it may be a bit of both. The website is definitely mess up. I've also become suspicious of cruise line advertising. They all offer big "deals" that at face value seem wonderful. But as the saying goes...if it seems too good to be true, it usually is!

Free Perks that are rarely free. They would cost the OP $500 in his case for free perks.

Buy one, get one half off. We just won't tell you that we are raising the prices the day before so that the before and after prices are the same.

Seems to be the way of the future.

I must say...ive NEVER seen a balcony cabin WITH perks for 950....i would have booked too

last year I booked a Veranda (7 days) on Equinox with 4 perks (go best) for $1050 (sailed in June 2017). Once in a while some great deals pop up. But yea, most of these sales are just smoke and mirrors.

last year I booked a Veranda (7 days) on Equinox with 4 perks (go best) for $1050 (sailed in June 2017). Once in a while some great deals pop up. But yea, most of these sales are just smoke and mirrors.

The Equinox deal was great, everyone gets Go Best, but an anomaly caused by X making late decision to move her from Europe to Caribbean. We're on the last sailing under that deal next month and expect long lines at the bar and overloaded internet.

The Equinox deal was great, everyone gets Go Best, but an anomaly caused by X making late decision to move her from Europe to Caribbean. We're on the last sailing under that deal next month and expect long lines at the bar and overloaded internet.

We were on Equinox last month with the deal and I didn't feel like the bars were packed. Not everyone had the deal. I traveled with 2 couples that purchased after us and they did not have it.

It was our first time with internet, so can't compare to anything but was just happy to have it.

The internet was fine on our sailing (well fine is relative, it wasn't worse than normal). And the lines at most of bars were normal too. The World Class Bar and Martini Bar were more crowded than I've ever seen them, especially the Martini Bar, that place was a complete zoo some nights.

Equinox on Dec 9 balcony for 893 CAD tax in. Included in this price is 150US OBC and a Classic Drink package.

I was looking at the summit on dec 12 11 day concierge and we could have had it for around 800 cad tax in with tips and classic drink included. Unfortunate we are hosting Christmas and everyone will be arriving on the 22nd.

Equinox on Dec 9 balcony for 893 CAD tax in. Included in this price is 150US OBC and a Classic Drink package.

I was looking at the summit on dec 12 11 day concierge and we could have had it for around 800 cad tax in with tips and classic drink included. Unfortunate we are hosting Christmas and everyone will be arriving on the 22nd.

Where are your priorities!?! Leave the the key under the door mat, tell the family to enjoy themselves, and sign up for the cruise. There are flights back from SJ, PR on 23 and 24, should get you home in time to see what surprises await you...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Where are your priorities!?! Leave the the key under the door mat, tell the family to enjoy themselves, and sign up for the cruise. There are flights back from SJ, PR on 23 and 24, should get you home in time to see what surprises await you...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I like your thinking but just remember happy wife happy life.

If you want some amusement regarding "cruise line (false) advertising", take a little tender ride over to the Princess boards and read up on what's been happening with the rollout of their Ocean Medallion program ;)

Good luck

Good for you! I kept telling both my TA and the Celeb rep that the email said 'additional savings' and that the cruise I wanted was listed under the sailings it applied to. I got the same song and dance as the OP about the exciting deals rate and was told the email did not apply. I gave up after 30 mins and probably should not have. My next recourse is maybe to contact onetouch@celebrity. It makes no sense at all that when one selects a specific deal and clicks on the 'see sailings' for that deal that the sailings don't show the actual price and promos for that deal!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I also tried to obtain the offers mentioned in the email, and was unable to. I was told that the cruise that I was looking at was included in this week's exciting deals, so the price showing on the website is already reduced, and the two free perks and/or Capt. Club discounts are not combinable with the exciting deal rates. I found one online travel agent that shows about 10 different prices for the cabin category I am interested in, depending on which offer you use. The pricing is consistent with what Celebrity told me about the various offers available.

I also tried to obtain the offers mentioned in the email, and was unable to. I was told that the cruise that I was looking at was included in this week's exciting deals, so the price showing on the website is already reduced, and the two free perks and/or Capt. Club discounts are not combinable with the exciting deal rates. I found one online travel agent that shows about 10 different prices for the cabin category I am interested in, depending on which offer you use. The pricing is consistent with what Celebrity told me about the various offers available.

This agrees with what I heard from my Celebrity Vacation Planner when I called about one of the deals. I could take the Go Big perks or I could take the $500 per person that I got offered in one email, but they were two different promotions, not combinable. And the website prices already reflected lowered price.

I am ok with my outcome, a reasonably inexpensive Caribbean cruise, and I don't agree with the OP that Celebrity was misleading. Confusing, definitely. But not misleading.

Stan