When would NCL cancel our stop in Barcelona ..leaving nov 5

Minoushka

When would we be told we are not going to Barcelona .I think this situation is too volatile for tourists to be in the area .The situation seems to be deteriorating and I would prefer knowing we are avoiding the whole area

I hope NCL makes the right decision and change our stop to Palma, Tenerife or Gibraltar on our way to Miami .I truly feel we need not go there .We can return as tourists when things settle

Please NCL do the right thing ....get us out of there

I agree with Bootman4U, what is in the news is very often the dramatic and not the reality. There are so many things to do and see in and around Barcelona and specific tours may be altered but I see no need to cancel the port stop entirely.

This thread is also discussing the Barcelona situation

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2558357

News and reality are often quite different.

If people only based decisions based on the news, I am thinking nobody would ever visit the U.S., especially cities like Chicago or Vegas or Orlando or San Bernardino.

Yes, the demonstrations might still be taking place, but there is little to no violence, and you can of course just avoid that part of town.

They are not going to skip Barcelona.

If we had a cruise that started or ended in BCN, we would still do what we have done in the past and spend a few days there.

What is going on in Barcelona that worries you?

The only thing I can see are demonstrations on the streets which is the sort of thing you could come across in any port.

Just follow the rules of any big city-be sensible with your belongings, be aware of your surroundings, avoid dodgy neighbourhoods and enjoy!

While I agree at this point this is an event to monitor I wouldn't dismiss anyone's concern about the situation. Yesterday, Catalonia declared their independence from Spain. There are demonstrations at many venues, not just Las Ramblas. In my opinion, this situation will probably get worse before all is said and done. How volatile the situation may get is obviously unknown at this juncture, but it's definitely something to stay aware of.

When would we be told we are not going to Barcelona .I think this situation is too volatile for tourists to be in the area .The situation seems to be deteriorating and I would prefer knowing we are avoiding the whole area

I hope NCL makes the right decision and change our stop to Palma, Tenerife or Gibraltar on our way to Miami .I truly feel we need not go there .We can return as tourists when things settle

My friend just got back from. Week long trip to Barcelona and had no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

settle

If this is how you feel then you can always stay on the ship during the port day. My guess is many of the cruisers on your sailing are saying ‘NCL do the right thing.... don’t overrreact and skip the port’.

I just checked the us state dept and there’s no travel advisory for Barcelona. In my experience they tend to be overly conservative. I doubt very much that the port will be cancelled.

Barcelona has had large demonstrations every time I have been there (each year since 2006 for MWC)...I never felt unsafe. I would be much more worried about pick pockets on Las Ramblas than demonstrators.

Well put.

Las Ramblas is bad for that.

Theft under EUR 4,000 not being classified as a crime but as a violation (more like a parking ticket) doesn't help.

Well put.

Las Ramblas is bad for that.

Theft under EUR 4,000 not being classified as a crime but as a violation (more like a parking ticket) doesn't help.

I think you mean 400 euro; at least that’s the amount per google. Much more believable than 4,000... in Ohio $1,000 is the difference between a misdemeanor and felony... thousands in theft is hardly petty.

News agency ONLY make money by sensationalizing the news. They won’t show you the shops and cafes open in your favorite Caribbean port, they will find a n area of devistation and represent it as “all”.

They will pick demonstration in Barcelona and represent it as “all” whilst 90% of the city and 99% of the nearby area are protest free. People aren’t destroying their own homes and business to “make a point”.

To skip Barcelona would be a huge mistake. It is truly one of the major ports on a Mediterranean cruise. We are spending 5 days there in January pre-cruise before our Canary Islands cruise. We were there last year and had a terrific time. Can’t wait to get back to Barcelona.

Paul

Barcelona is one of our favorite ports - been there a couple of times.

Even if the US made the city a port that Americans could not disembark because of safety reasons, they will still dock there anyway. One of the ports on our first Med cruise back in 98 was in Libya. The only passengers who stayed onboard were the Americans. All the other countries deemed it safe for their citizens to visit, therefore, we still docked there.

You will LOVE Barcelona. Such a great city to walk around in!

Donna

Ive been to Barcelona many times and i know a bit about civil unrest ;)

Ive noticed a few people mentioning the Las Ramblas as the main a focal point of the demonstrations.

Placa De Catalunya - Plaza Sant Jaune are also focal points of the demonstrations.

Today over 350.000 pro Spanish demonstrators took took to the streets - focal points Plaza Sant Jaune and Passieg De Gracia

The vast majority of these protests have been peaceful - NO ATTACKS have been reported on Tourists.

Yes the situation is still unfolding and i believe there is the possibility of some civil unrest. I'm sure Cruise lines will take advice from Foreign Govs and will keep a close eye on developments.

My advice is if you're staying pre-cruise check the area around the hotel ( ie is it a focal point for protests if so consider changing ) study a good local map incase you are caught up in a protest and need to seek alternative route back to hotel - DO NOT confront the police if asked to move do so.

If arriving on a cruise ship plenty of places to explore away from protest focal points.

Enjoy one of my favourite cities

I agree with Bootman4U, what is in the news is very often the dramatic and not the reality. There are so many things to do and see in and around Barcelona and specific tours may be altered but I see no need to cancel the port stop entirely.

This thread is also discussing the Barcelona situation

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2558357

Yes, I started that thread, and she's already posted on it, so she's aware of this thread.

--Michael

If it's any consolation, ncl is typically one of the first to pull out of a port when it comes to safety concerns. Last year there was some concerning stuff happening in Turkey. DCL and NCL took Turkish ports off their itineraries way before other lines did. NCL got some very decent replacement ports as a result of being proactive about the situation. I highly doubt the situation in Barcelona warrants the line replacing the port. What is going on in Spain is not something that is specifically targeting tourists. I have felt MUCH safer in Europe than I do here in the USA with all the gun violence we have.