New to Anthem - Confused about Dining

iluvbkk

We have only cruised RCI smaller ships so this will be a new experience for us. Must we make reservations ahead of time for 12 nights worth of dinner or can we just go to the Windjammer? Would we be missing something great if we skipped the included restaurants, in your opinion?

Appreciate any input with regard to this. I'm having trouble understanding it all and I am blaming on my age ;)

Of course you can go to windjammer but we like to go to the mdr, sit at a table with others and get to know others. If you have traditional dining you don't have to make reservations. Even if you have MTD I am told you don't have to make reservations but you can. Reservations are usually necessary for specialty restaurants.

You will miss nothing if you skip the MDR....except being served. I'm not a fan of buffets. If you have MTD, just go when you want...if you want reservations, you can make them....the food is the same whether you are in MTD or traditional seating. The WJ has some of the same stuff, but not all...and you don't get table service there.

Hi all, I am also very confused. Some places describes the 4 dining rooms as all having basically the same menu with a small section on the menu where they offer something different. Other places I have read it described as all totally different and serving different cuisines altogether with a small section on the menu offering a few of the same basic items. So I am still confused. If we are MTD can we not book at Chic and The Grande? Also, is there still a classic formal night?

We have only cruised RCI smaller ships so this will be a new experience for us. Must we make reservations ahead of time for 12 nights worth of dinner or can we just go to the Windjammer? Would we be missing something great if we skipped the included restaurants, in your opinion?

Appreciate any input with regard to this. I'm having trouble understanding it all and I am blaming on my age ;)

I'm glad you asked this because the more we look at it the more we get confused too! We have the traditional dining thing but it keeps saying we'll get our "rotation" once on board. I had no idea that Silk and American Icon were not part of it so we learned something too.

Just off Anthem...nothing to be confused about...We had and prefer MTD and love the flexibility of just walking up at anytime during their dinner hours no reservations needed. On the nights we decided to eat in the dining room we either went to American Icon or Silk (MTD venue's) so it doesn't matter which you go to just different decor....same menu in these MTD venue's as they have in the traditional assigned early or late seating.

Hi all, I am also very confused. Some places describes the 4 dining rooms as all having basically the same menu with a small section on the menu where they offer something different. Other places I have read it described as all totally different and serving different cuisines altogether with a small section on the menu offering a few of the same basic items. So I am still confused. If we are MTD can we not book at Chic and The Grande? Also, is there still a classic formal night?

Tazza, what is confusing you is that Anthem used to have what was called Dynamic Dining. There are four different complimentary restaurants on the ship, that all used to have their own menus except for a small section of basics. Dynamic Dining was discontinued last year, but the cruise line's website still has a few references that add confusion.

Dining is now like other ships, there is one menu served each night in all four restaurants and that menu changes nightly. There are now tradition formal nights, just like other ships. Grande and Chic are used for traditional dining, main and late seating. Silk and American Icon are used for MTD. Chic and Grande will take overflow from MTD if necessary.

With MTD on Anthem can you show up and get a table for two like on other ships?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, we just did for our table for two...no problem at all...even on lobster night we lined up about 20min before opening and got a nice table and walked right in no reservation. You might want to ask for one that isn't inches from the next table (hate that) we got one along a wall...very nice indeed we thought.

Dining on the Anthem works the same as on all of your Royal Caribbean cruises.

On the Anthem DH and I loved the Dynamic Dining and menu choices in the different restaurants. Alas, the traditionalists had a louder voice. So a great idea with varied option is no more....The dining rooms are named Silk, American Icon, The Grande and Chic. Same menus now at all. You also can go for no charge for evening dining to Solarium Bistro. If you are not cruising over holidays you can check to see if BOGO or 1st Night Done Right or specialty dining package is offered on your cruise. DH and I have enjoyed Jamie's and I have enjoyed Wonderland (DH said it was a chick restaurant, so we have only gone there once together, and that was on Quantum.) While the Windjammer has lots of options, I hope you have the chance to explore other dining on the Anthem.

I'm glad you asked this because the more we look at it the more we get confused too! We have the traditional dining thing but it keeps saying we'll get our "rotation" once on board. I had no idea that Silk and American Icon were not part of it so we learned something too.

Where did you read the "rotation" part. Rotation within the 4 restaurants & different menus was part of the Dynamic Dining concept that RCL did away with. Depending on whether you want traditional or MTD just e-mail them your request at RCLdining@rccl.com

The current menu had daily different app/entrees selection

section, plus a section called "classic" which is the same each night.

Where did you read the "rotation" part. Rotation within the 4 restaurants & different menus was part of the Dynamic Dining concept that RCL did away with. Depending on whether you want traditional or MTD just e-mail them your request at RCLdining@rccl.com

The current menu had daily different app/entrees selection

section, plus a section called "classic" which is the same each night.

This is at the top of my calendar:

You have selected early seating. You will be able to review your complimentary dining rotation onboard. Specialty dining restaurant reservations can be made at any time.

I ... We have the traditional dining thing but it keeps saying we'll get our "rotation" once on board. ... .

Anything that mentions "rotation" is an old notation that somehow has not been fixed by Royal.

Hi! As everyone said, it's not too bad. Silk & American Icon are for My Time Dining and Chic and Grande are for set dining. My party had the My Time Dining at American Icon the first night. We ended up keeping our wait staff and table and had a set reservation every night. We still went to American Icon and would just walk in when it was time. It was actually great. I recommend doing that if you like your wait staff. It makes it super easy.

does anyone know which nights are formal nights on the 8-night Bahama cruise? Can we get in The Grande if we are on the MTD?

The Grande is for first and second seating dining. Sometimes, they will use that venue for overflow from the MTD restaurants. It won't hurt to ask the hostess if it is possible for you to be seated in The Grande.

does anyone know which nights are formal nights on the 8-night Bahama cruise? Can we get in The Grande if we are on the MTD?

Dynamic Dining is gone. The dining room in which you eat has no bearing on anything: Not the menu, not the dress, not the service, nothing.

Dynamic dining is gone.

We were recently on the Anthem with My Time Dining. We made reservations somewhere each night. If our plans changed (show cancellation and changes) we just walked up to the MTD podium and were immediately seated.

You have seated options of the MDR, Windjammers, the Solarium Buffet. Two70 has sandwiches, you can get pizza and cold sandwiches.

You can see menus on my review

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2546799