Virgin Voyages announces they are taking deposits for 2020.... No Children...

bookitdanno

No children allowed!! What next?

Targeting people like me and my husband. Late 30s early 40s, no kids that enjoy travelling in comfort. I dont mind kids but if parents dont pay attention to their behavior, it can impact the cruising experience. In my last X cruise that was in April, using the hot tub or pool was nearly impossible as it was crowded with kids(which is rare for X). I have taken cruises during spring break before but it was never as inconvenienced by kids as it was last April.

I will be happy to check out an almost adults only cruiseline.

Big fan of Branson.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see him develop and deliver the product that Celebrity claim to, but just don't quite manage. Will be following them with interest.

I was thinking the same thing. :cool:

The Caribbean isn't the most exciting place in the world to vacation! :D No doubt about that. But they need to start somewhere.

Besides isn't it obvious that Virgin Voyages would begin in the Virgin Islands?

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I do wonder how much they will market the cruise as part of a ‘package’ for the European market....offering flights, cruise and stay, tour and cruise....Many UK and European travelers enjoy this mix of theme parks or touring and finishing with a 7 night cruise all neatly fitting into a 14 night vacation.....perhaps they are not particularly focusing on US guests....Come to think of it that is how we started cruising over 20 years ago!

I think with eventually 3 ships possibly based in the Caribbean they will have to market worldwide. With 7 day cruises that would be over 7000 passengers they have to find each week, that's a lot of European holiday makers on Virgin flight and cruise deals, especially when you rule out families with Kids if your only embarking and disembarking in Florida. One way might be to adopt the MSC model and have people embarking / disembarking at different ports throughout. Virgin does a lot of flights to Caribbean islands.

Targeting people like me and my husband. Late 30s early 40s, no kids that enjoy travelling in comfort. I dont mind kids but if parents dont pay attention to their behavior, it can impact the cruising experience. In my last X cruise that was in April, using the hot tub or pool was nearly impossible as it was crowded with kids(which is rare for X). I have taken cruises during spring break before but it was never as inconvenienced by kids as it was last April.

I will be happy to check out an almost adults only cruiseline.

Did you sail the week before or after Easter? Now I’m a bit concerned as we are booked April 8 on Silhouette. Easter is the week before. We usually go the week after Easter and haven’t had issues, but those were 10 day cruises. This time it is 7 Days.

Thanks.

Well personally, I call this discrimination and this business model is illegal in many countries. Just my opinion. Maybe Disney cruise line should ban people over 50 because they're boring LOL

Branson allegedly considered an upper age limit for his line.

I doubt that would be legally enforceable though. Certainly not in the EU anyway.

Well personally, I call this discrimination and this business model is illegal in many countries. Just my opinion. Maybe Disney cruise line should ban people over 50 because they're boring LOL

Several cruiselines market adult only cruises / ships - P & O for example.

It is not discrimination because children don't buy the services so no one is refusing to sell them anything. They are just not allowed on board - in the same way that they might not be allowed in a bar / nightclub / adult cinema on land - is that illegal in these "many countries?

Even where there is age discrimination it might not be illegal as you suggest. Age restrictions (particularly minimum age) are often allowed in many countries and are all around if you look - Lower rates for golfers in their 20s to encourage them to join golf clubs, discount travel concessions for Seniors. Travel companies for the over 55s only any company offering age specific Birthday benefits and so on. Even on the periphery, age discrimination sneaks in - hotels offering silver wedding anniversary rewards / upgrades effectively exclude anyone under 40 from benefitting.

Edited by DYKWIA

Interesting. What hotels and what upper age limit?

There used to be the Club 18-30 holidays (do they still exist?) but even then the company admitted that the upper age was not legally enforceable. It was just marketed in such a way that any right minded person over the age of 30 would wonder what on earth they were doing if they went on a club 18-30 holiday.

Edited by DYKWIA

We were at the Domes in Chania last year and it’s adult only. It’s a Marriott

I was talking about upper age limits. I think you may have misunderstood.

Whilst it's legal to ban children from hotels and cruise lines it would be unlawful to ban anyone over a specific age in the EU and probably everywhere else as this would amount to discrimination.

In short Virgin might have wanted to exclude pax over 60 but they can't.

I might put down the deposit. It sounds very interesting. I'm not opposed to kids, but also not opposed to more sophisticated adult things. One of the reasons we cruise the Caribbean is that it is easy to travel to from the midwest and I don't have to take too much time off from work. In February we will take an 11 day cruise and only have to take 2 weeks off of work.

I do have a land vacation planned to Naples, Italy next April. I will join my father for a week. One of my reservations about cruising in Europe is that there is so much to see there that I would be torn between the activities on the ship and what I can experience in port if I had more time. I would want to spend more time than just one day in the ports. My daughter and I spent 3 weeks in France traveling from Paris to Lyon and then from Marseilles to Monaco and we still could have spent more time!