Sea Days

babs135

Everyone is different but if I booked a cruise with a lot of sea days I wouldn't be complaining about the sea days.

keith

I like sea days. I booked a port-intensive cruise last time out. My bad. Mutter mutter.

My point is that even after 6-7 cruises of several different durations and locales, I am still learning what different itineraries are like and how we will enjoy them. So I can understand how some might wind up with “too many” sea days and complain about it. Quietly. Just a little bit. Willfully subjecting themselves to the scornful amusement of those of us who feel differently.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why do some people book a cruise and then moan about the number of sea days? (seen on another thread). Did they not look at the itinerary? Did the ports to be visited override the fact that there were a lot of sea days?

Would you book such a cruise if you didn't like sea days? Personally DH and I both love sea days so booking wouldn't be a problem.

One cruise heard constant c9mplaints about the itinerary, Sea days, why aren’t we going to x and wonder, didn’t the6 look at the itinerary.

But then wonder the same when they complain about heat, cold, rough seas etc.

One word: kindle

I carry as many books with me as I like without adding a micro gram to my weight or a micro liter to my packing volume.

I always pack a spare Kindle too, loaded with both mine and DH's holiday reads, just in case one of our Kindles fail during a cruise. And if the worst happened and both failed I get the spare Kindle! DH would just download Ulysses onto his phone and that would keep him happy.

My ideal cruise would be to head off from Sydney into the South Pacific to a area where the weather is perfect (warm, but not too humid) and go around in circles for a couple of weeks ie 100% sea days. :D :D

Me too.

Mrs Gut not so much, three or four and she starts to miss ports.

But then when we book a cruise we do look at the itinerary so having a couple of blocks of five won’t worry her too much, because she will be ready for them. Now if we missed a port and it became eight or nine, she wouldn’t be happy, but knows the risks going in.

I find it quite amusing that so many people who are committed cruisers and vacation on the sea, do not really like the sea. Their ship is really an RV that floats. The RV "parks" in a different city every day and travels by night. If the distance between 2 "cities" is large, the RV must drive during the day which upsets some people. I guess people don't enjoy relaxing and thinking, and need significant external stimulation.

A true sea person is one who enjoys watching the sea from the ship, not one who races to get off as soon as the gangplank is down.

Huh, what you describe is kind of how I feel except I would use different words. I do like to minimize sea days. I wouldn't consider a cruise ship a floating RV. I would consider it a floating all inclusive hotel. Even with limited sea days there is more than enough time for an active person to relax. Certainly you can recognize that some people are more active and enjoy exploring ports more than "relaxing" on board.

• 1 month later...
Priobably just because they need something to complain about.

I’ll never cruise with abc again because...

It rained all the time

It was too hot

The seas were rough

I have heard of X, HAL, MSC, NCL but never heard of ABC, where do they cruise?

I like sea days. I booked a port-intensive cruise last time out. My bad. Mutter mutter.

My point is that even after 6-7 cruises of several different durations and locales, I am still learning what different itineraries are like and how we will enjoy them. So I can understand how some might wind up with “too many” sea days and complain about it. Quietly. Just a little bit. Willfully subjecting themselves to the scornful amusement of those of us who feel differently.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The nicest thing about too many port days is that I can turn some of them into honorary sea days if I don’t like the port or have been there too many times.

probably because 1) they are limited to certain time periods for cruising like school breaks, 2) the price was affordable, 3) they like the ship and the itinerary other than the number of sea days.

So, they booked it because it was an only suitable option, but that doesn't stop them from disliking the sea days. I dislike sea days. If it's a rainy sea day, there is nothing to do on a princess ship, for example, with a kid....

I'm not a fan of sea days either. Same as I'm not a beach person. I get bored to easily. We are going on a cruise soon. We narrowed our choices to a 9 day cruise on our favourite ship with 4 sea days and a 10 day cruise on a ship we've never been on before with 3 sea days. Both were going on similar routes and similarly priced. We chose the 10 day cruise.

That said, why complain about the sea days if you've chosen to do that cruise.

Several days of sea together is an opportunity to rest, the cruisers of the Southern Caribbean from Florida have 2 days out and 2 days back, those to Hawaii from Vancouver or LAX have 5 days out and 5 return. The TA 7 days

"We prefer longer (more than 30 day) cruises with at least half the days being sea days. DW once teased that our perfect cruise would be a 100 day round the world with no ports :). On sea days we spend a lot of time with our Kindles, which usually have more than 100 unread books from which to choose."

Hank

Hank -- when you find that around the world cruise, please let me know!!!

Meanwhile, DD, SIL & I have found a short alternative w/more sea days than ports: 8 days in the southern Caribbean w/2 sea days, 3 ports (ABC islands), 2 sea days.

Yes, my Kindle is loaded. (Love the idea about having a spare Kindle!)

I find it quite amusing that so many people who are committed cruisers and vacation on the sea, do not really like the sea. Their ship is really an RV that floats. The RV "parks" in a different city every day and travels by night. If the distance between 2 "cities" is large, the RV must drive during the day which upsets some people. I guess people don't enjoy relaxing and thinking, and need significant external stimulation.

A true sea person is one who enjoys watching the sea from the ship, not one who races to get off as soon as the gangplank is down.

My goodness, your definition of a "true sea person" makes quite a few assumptions. :rolleyes:

I've been cruising since the infancy of real "cruising" (versus taking a sea voyage), and for me it has always been about the destination but also the journey. I don't like a lot of sea days, but that doesn't in ANY way mean that I don't like being at sea or that I consider the ship a sort of RV. What a repugnant idea!

I enjoy the sailaways and the arrivals, the sense of gliding through the water enroute to another exciting and new destination to explore. To me, that's what it means to cruise. For those who'd like to see a cruise with no ports, what's the difference between that and being in an AI? Same old same old every day, even if it's beautiful.

(Before anyone gets bent out of shape by my last comment: Of course there's a difference. I'm just trying to illustrate how ridiculous the "assumptions" in the post quoted above are by going to the opposite extreme....:evilsmile:.)

Not true at all, a true sea person is one who loves everything to do with the sea, good and bad weather, large ships or small boats, etc.