Do you book directly with RCI or use a Travel Agent? Advantages/disadvantages???

bandjwayne

When we first cruised 15+ years ago we booked the first few cruises through a local travel agent. Since then we've booked directly with RCI or Carnival. We have researched exactly what ship & itinerary and even room we want so it's a pretty easy process. What I'm wondering is how many people use travel agents today and what are the advantages & disadvantages? Do you really get a price better than the website, even with just one room? Are you still able to book the shows, speciality dining, drink packages, etc?Thanks!

When we first cruised 15+ years ago we booked the first few cruises through a local travel agent. Since then we've booked directly with RCI or Carnival. We have researched exactly what ship & itinerary and even room we want so it's a pretty easy process. What I'm wondering is how many people use travel agents today and what are the advantages & disadvantages? Do you really get a price better than the website, even with just one room? Are you still able to book the shows, speciality dining, drink packages, etc?Thanks!

I have never used a TA but since the prices on the website change on a daily basis, I like the flexibility of immediately booking "when the time is right" especially if the sailing is 45 or less days out. RCI has such deceptive "sales" that the price of a cruise might be one price today during a "non sale" and double the price tomorrow during a "sale." Airfare, hotels etc all fluctuate in price but I have never seen travel fares bounce around to such extremes like they do on RCI.

I book direct with RCL. I can negotiate with them over the phone for my category and stateroom I want. Then I have 60 days to transfer it to a TA for additional perks.

Negotiate implies that you are able to get a better deal or additional perks. IME I have never known Royal to negotiate anything. They either have the room or they don't and they have set prices that they don't deviate from.

On the other hand you may certainly be able to negotiate OBC / extra perks with some travel agents.

I always do my own research and book directly Royal. Then I transfer the booking to my TA for additional perks. Sometimes a TA will have "group" space reserved and can offer a lower price for the cruise in addition to the other perks they offer. It's worth investigating and doing some research.

Whether you book individually or with a TA the price will be the same.

However, TA's receive a 15% discount from RCL which they use to offer perks such as OBC, specialty dining, drink packages, etc. depending on how many cruises you book and the price you pay for your room.

Naturally with suites the amount of amenities you will receive should be higher that descend all the way down to interiors. So there is definite value for using a TA.

The trade-off may occur if you have any "problems" since the TA has possession of your confirmation and THEY are the ones that have to resolve the problem - NOT YOU.

Personally, I book cruises on board when they first come out - usually about 1 1/2 to 2 years in advance. The prices are generally the lowest then, but everything is based on supply and demand.

If having control is your thing - book it yourself.

If you want the "deal " and are not bothered by potential mishaps definitely use a TA.

I have never used a TA but since the prices on the website change on a daily basis, I like the flexibility of immediately booking "when the time is right" especially if the sailing is 45 or less days out. RCI has such deceptive "sales" that the price of a cruise might be one price today during a "non sale" and double the price tomorrow during a "sale." Airfare, hotels etc all fluctuate in price but I have never seen travel fares bounce around to such extremes like they do on RCI.

Yes just have to watch out for all the deceptive sales by RCI and don't end up paying more.

Here RCI have raised the local TA prices to be identical to their website price.

If I am interested in a particular cruise I would book Next Cruise on board and get the extra OBC.

But there are other cruiselines here and I am on the look out when some price war breaks out.

Here’s an idea...especially when reading posts from folks complaining about “fake sales”:

Don’t concern yourself with what RC (or any company with any product) defines as a sale. Do your research and book when you are comfortable with a price. A $5000 cruise at 50% off and a $2500 cruise with no “sale” cost you the same.

If you want extra perks like OBC, use a TA you are comfortable with after you do some research.

If OBC or other TA perks are less important to you, and you want to be able to control everything yourself, book direct.

I always do my own research and book directly Royal. Then I transfer the booking to my TA for additional perks. Sometimes a TA will have "group" space reserved and can offer a lower price for the cruise in addition to the other perks they offer. It's worth investigating and doing some research.

How does transferring to a TA work?

I’ve made some great changes to my reservations by booking with Royal, at times I wouldn’t have been able to get in touch with a TA. Some nice price drops that lasted only a couple hours. Cabin changes when a great cabin suddenly opened up. I’ll keep booking with Royal....

Gwen [emoji3]

Does booking through a TA offer more security? If you do it all as a package? Like flights / hotels / cruise etc? That might sway to book with a TA rather than direct. Security of money?

I don't know if any extra security that is inherent in a TA booking. You can buy the same (or equivalent) travel insurance with a TA booking and a direct booking.

I decide on which cruise etc. by looking at the Royal Caribbean website. I know what part of the ship I want, the category, the date etc. I then go to a site that competes for my business. I look to see which agencies give the best perks, have no cancellation/change fees and reviews as well as giving me info on what I requested. I won't use any agency that gives me info on a different category of cabin to make it appear the price is lower.

I also check to be sure the agency is open on weekends as well as at least until 7PM in the event there is a change or problem. My one exception though is one agency I use most of the time as they seem to have group bookings for almost every cruise I book, isn't open on Sunday.

I have gotten many perks from using the agencies as opposed to those the cruise line offers. I do get the cruise line perks as well. I am able to reserve my dining, my drink package, my shore excursions etc. just the same as if I were booked with Royal.

I used to book with Royal and then change to an agency, but many times recently, I have found the offers I get from the compete site are for new bookings only. I also felt a bit guilty having Royal Caribbean do all the work for me and then transfer it to an agency. My way of booking works well for me, but I don't need to be in full control of my booking. I do check prices etc. myself even after booking so that if the price goes down, I am able to take advantage of the reduction.

We prefer to book directly with RCCL because we have control over our reservation. If you book through a TA (or transfer a reservation to a TA), you can not make any changes to your reservations.

A few years back, we booked a cruise with a TA. We noticed a big price reduction on a Friday. We tried to call our TA, but she was not going to be in the office until Monday. No one else in the office would help up. When we finally spoke with our TA on Monday, the sale price was no longer available. We never used that TA again. If we had booked that cruise directly with RCCL and I called up on Friday, I would have saved almost $500.:(

The price I will pay booking direct or with a TA is the same with my discounts, however if a problem arises with my booking then my TA will have better results resolving the matter then I could. I use a local TA and anyone in her office will take over should she be out or busy with another client. Any payments or changes I call into her, a new invoice is sent over via email. However you choose to book, as long as your happy with the price and service you received, that is the important thing.

I’ve made some great changes to my reservations by booking with Royal, at times I wouldn’t have been able to get in touch with a TA. Some nice price drops that lasted only a couple hours. Cabin changes when a great cabin suddenly opened up. I’ll keep booking with Royal....

Gwen [emoji3]

Yes Gwen, you are so correct. We have had similar experiences in price reductions and stateroom changes.

e9f17c96e3490c1be710f8f07c061e15.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have always booked direct with Royal, but just this month booked through one of the big cruise websites - had already researched and knew which ship, date, room I wanted - they were offering price that was $200 lower than RC, plus paid gratuities, plus $200 OBC - and they are available 24 hours a day to call. I have always liked to control my reservation - but gave that up this time as the benefits seemed too good to pass up - hope I don't regret it!

I contacted a TA once that was listed on the RCI website as a "Top RCI Agent" or some similar elite-ish designation. I emailed the guy and he answered some questions I had, but wasn't the least bit interested in actually trying to book my cruise. Perhaps it's because he doesn't make much commission off of a party of only 2 adults, I don't really know. So, I went ahead and booked it myself. His loss...or maybe not, I don't know. But I wasn't going to beg the guy to work for me.