To tux or not to tux

joanna111

DH and I are on a 22 night Buenos Aries to Santiago cruise in January. Formal night is easy for me to pack for but not for DH. It seems like there are three options:

1. Take no dress clothes and rent a tuxedo for formal nights. Go to the MDR in a shirt with a collar but no jacket the other nights.

2. Schlep his suit and shoes for formal night but still just wear a shirt for non formal nights.

3. Forget the tux and the suit and just wear a shirt (okay, he should wear pants too) on formal nights.

He wants to avoid the hassle of taking a suit or even a jacket with him but I also feel strongly that I don't want to contribute to the further decline of formality. A tux is super-easy to rent (plus he looks cool in it) but I know he wouldn't want to be one of only 3 or 4 guys.

Any chance SA/Antarctica is more formal than other routes? How do you guys solve this?

Similar question as we understand formal nights have become less so lately and have adjusted our choice of dress accordingly. But our upcoming sailing is during nye I am assuming the gala eve will be on 12/31. I am wondering if it would be more folks will be in tuxes and gowns. (I think it will be fun to get decked out).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DH and I are on a 22 night Buenos Aries to Santiago cruise in January. Formal night is easy for me to pack for but not for DH. It seems like there are three options:

1. Take no dress clothes and rent a tuxedo for formal nights. Go to the MDR in a shirt with a collar but no jacket the other nights.

2. Schlep his suit and shoes for formal night but still just wear a shirt for non formal nights.

3. Forget the tux and the suit and just wear a shirt (okay, he should wear pants too) on formal nights.

He wants to avoid the hassle of taking a suit or even a jacket with him but I also feel strongly that I don't want to contribute to the further decline of formality. A tux is super-easy to rent (plus he looks cool in it) but I know he wouldn't want to be one of only 3 or 4 guys.

Any chance SA/Antarctica is more formal than other routes? How do you guys solve this?

I enjoy dressing for dinner with my bride. I wear my tux and bring a couple of sport coats and a suit as well. One extra bag, checked and even with a porter's tip thrown in will probably cost less than a rental. I've said it on this forum before, "A cruise is the only time I get to wear my tux without paying for a wedding or writing a check to charity."

You'll see all manner of dress on Gala nights, but the only opinion that matters is yours.

Did this same cruise in February and saw only a handful of tux wearers on Gala Evenings. My OH took a smart jacket and wore it on those occasions, but there was no obligation to do so. Some make an effort, most don't.

We actually miss the formality of not so many years ago, but don't get too stressed about it and won't let it spoil our cruises.

You'll see all manner of different interpretations of the dress code, but in the end it's up to you how formal you want to make it. Have a look at the HAL website and it will tell you what you want to know. Enjoy your cruise - we certainly did.

Dressing formal for gala evenings has always been one of the things my husband and I love about cruising, so he continues to bring a tux and I bring at least one gown on every cruise. We've noticed that many choose not to dress that way but it won't stop us, because it's what we love.

We've never let those who choose to dress differently affect us. Even after dinner, we remain in our formal wear and enjoy the evening. I've stood at the roulette wheel in my long black gown next to folks in shorts and t-shirts...and still feel great. My 'Bond Girl' moment for sure...

If you and your husband still enjoy the aspect of dressing for gala night then tux rental is a great option to avoid packing and carrying the extra clothes. While we haven't done this on HAL, we've done it on RCL when traveling with our kids. My son wanted a tux so we rented for him right down to the shoes. It worked out great and I have some wonderful family photos as a result.

Ditto for the tux. My husband has always worn a tux on gala nights, although there are fewer tux-clad men on Caribbean cruises, I think. I see more tuxes on the longer cruises. Regardless, we dress the way we want, and it doesn't matter if there is only one or two others on the ship who choose to go formal. We like it.

If he really doesn't want to bring his tux, fine, but have him travel in a sport coat that he can use with his dress pants for Gala nights. DH does this all the time ( although, he always brings his tux), as it provides an additional jacket for whenever he wants to wear it.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I normally go with a sports jacket, dress shirt and tie. That seems to be the norm anymore. Some men go all the way to tuxes, a number with suits, many with jackets/tie and a number with just shirt and tie. So, it is really up to you.

While there was a certain special atmosphere to the old formality, the fact is that a tux is now a rare exception. Common courtesy towards fellow passengers indicates that some special effortless made on gala nights, but that can be accomplished b y simply wearing a dress shirt with jacket and tie.

Even if you want to travel light, simply wearing a blazer as you travel ( whose pockets are great for carrying documents) allows you to dress up that little bit without having to bring extra bags.

My DH and I enjoy dressing in long gown and tux for each other. You will find a variety of dress on board and we dress within the guidelines offered and really dress in a manner that pleases us. The choices of others don't affect us or our enjoyment of the evening.

My DH and I still enjoy dressing formal on Formal nights- we also dress formal on Chic nights on Celebrity. He has beautiful modern tux's, and I now prefer to wear a cocktail dress instead of a long gown. Everyone should dress as they would like to, and if you prefer not to dress, you can always dine in your cabin or at the buffets.

While I agree that tuxes are definitely on the decline, my DW still enjoys dressing up in her fancy gowns and looks beautiful in them. I like to do my best to dress to appropriately compliment her. My objection to formal or gala dress is not the tux, but rather the need to wear a tie which I detest.:mad: My solution to this on a recent Silversea cruise (which has a much more formal dress code) was to wear an ascot with my tux. Most men were wearing a suite and tie which was also acceptable, but I'm sure I was more comfortable.:cool:

I used to swear by my tux. Formal night needed to be FORMAL for me. Lots of folks complained that it was anachronistic, but I loved it. It is part of what made cruising special. That era has long since passed. Holland America has quit the "formal" reference, so now I just bring a black suit.

My vote: Go with Option 1 - rent the tux. There will probably only be a handful of men in tuxes, but who cares, it is your vacation. You will stand out in a good way.

I will always either rent or bring my own depending on my wife's packing strategy.

If you want to blend in with the crowd, wear a sport jacket and tie. That is where the majority of men are from my observations.

The tux died when the airlines went from 70 pounds to 50. We noticed the change immediately. I do miss the days when everyone dressed to the nines - made the night special.

Yes, that.

If our flight is over ~5 hours we'll typically fly business class, so with the extra baggage allowance the tux and either a suit or a sport coat make the trip with us.

On the shorter flights, when we only book economy, the tux and suit generally stay home and I'll wear the sport coat onto the plane with jeans or slacks.

Seems to work out for us, and I've only been on one cruise in recent years where I didn't have a tux or suit with me because of the baggage allowance.