Can't add foster son to ship at capacity...

Tdawn11883

Our family booked Anthem of the Seas for a Dec. 2017 cruise LAST December of 2016. At the time it was myself, my husband and our son. This will be our 3rd cruise with Royal Caribbean, all three booked through [a travel agent]. In April our former foster son was placed back with us. It was "temporary" at the time. As we neared our November court date it was apparent that he would be placed with us permanently by the judge. I called RC to see if we could add him to our room. Yes, there was room for a 4th in our superior room with large balcony. I called RC immediately after we received documentation from the court that he would be with us until he is 18 (3 years), but now they are at capacity. There is no way that this young man, who is as much a part of our family as our bio son, is going to a respite home while we are on a cruise, during the holidays no less.

I called our travel agent and the lady didn't seem to give a hoot about our situation. She robotically stated that they were at capacity and there was nothing they could do. I couldn't even switch to another ship/sail date etc. I would lose everything we've paid for this current booking. I called RC and the lady was very nice but told me that the boat was at capacity and could not allow anymore 3/4 person rooms. The only way we could add him to our trip was if someone with a 3/4 person room cancelled. I could call back though and maybe something will open up...

We are 2 weeks away from travel and I have to make plans. We WILL NOT go on this trip without him. Even if we were to book a 2nd cruise during the holidays so he can come with us, what do we do with the already booked, and paid for, cruise?

Had anyone had any luck in a similar situation?

There are several on-line travel agencies offering a suite on the Anthem of the Seas on a Dec. 14th sailing out of Bayonne. I don't know if this is your cruise but that's what a google search pulled up. I don't know how good or trustworthy these agenices are, I've never used them. Just FYI.

Is the entire boat at capacity or is it just your section of the boat due to life rafts? Is there a possibility of separating into two cabins even if they’re on opposite sides of the ship with one adult in each room? Call back and ask if it’s just your section or the entire ship that’s at capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As has been stated multiple times on this thread, the cruise shows "sold out" on all websites.

As has been stated multiple times on this thread, the cruise shows "sold out" on all websites.

If truly sold out, then cancel (hopefully you have cancel for any reason insurance) and book another cruise with availability. You can't create availability where there is none. Good luck!

Is the entire boat at capacity or is it just your section of the boat due to life rafts? Is there a possibility of separating into two cabins even if they’re on opposite sides of the ship with one adult in each room? Call back and ask if it’s just your section or the entire ship that’s at capacity.

The ship is at capacity for 3/4 guests. It might still have room for more 1/2 guests, but only if there are staterooms available.

And the OP hasn’t come back to acknowledge any of the very good suggestions. I have noticed a lot of first and second posts lately, both complaints, and very legit questions, but they never seem to come back.

I hope, in this case, the OP is legit.

And the OP hasn’t come back to acknowledge any of the very good suggestions. I have noticed a lot of first and second posts lately, both complaints, and very legit questions, but they never seem to come back.

I hope, in this case, the OP is legit.

Yep seems to happen a lot lately

Actually, that’s exactly what you are suggesting. None of the mainstream US cruise lines allow refunds for cancellations this close to sailing. None of them have ‘transfer your booking to a new sailing’ clause either. While it’s unfortunate timing for the OP, expecting either of these and hitting up the news to pressure royal is asking for special treatment.

Obviously they are asking for special treatment, but this is a special situation.

If the ship’s full, the ship’s full. But it would cost Royal next to nothing to let them change their booking to another date or ship. The cabin would be resold, likely for more, but even if it wasn’t it’s still sailing 5997/6000 full.

Royal could cut them a break if they wanted to and let them transfer the booking. They are choosing not to. Bear in mind: RCCL recently demonstrated the ability to cancel entire cruises on less than 24 hrs notice when they faced extraordinary circumstances. I know that’s the way the contract is set up: the cruise lines can cancel for any reason up to day of sailing and the customers can’t - but that does not mean they could not do something nice for this nice family.

Obviously they are asking for special treatment, but this is a special situation.

If the ship’s full, the ship’s full. But it would cost Royal next to nothing to let them change their booking to another date or ship. The cabin would be resold, likely for more, but even if it wasn’t it’s still sailing 5997/6000 full.

Royal could cut them a break if they wanted to and let them transfer the booking. They are choosing not to. Bear in mind: RCCL recently demonstrated the ability to cancel entire cruises on less than 24 hrs notice when they faced extraordinary circumstances. I know that’s the way the contract is set up: the cruise lines can cancel for any reason up to day of sailing and the customers can’t - but that does not mean they could not do something nice for this nice family.

They could. But we are hearing if one ‘special situation’ for one family. I would be willing to bet that there are a percentage of people of every sailing who would like to cancel or change sailings at the last minute due to their own ‘special situation’ - death in the family, illness, birth in the family, New pregnancy, adoption, school scheduling issue, military deployment, work situation, etc. I’m sure that the costs would add up in the aggregate for them to start allowing these changes. It would be unfair to those people for them to allow it here and not somewhere else. This is why insurance exists.

They could. But we are hearing if one ‘special situation’ for one family. I would be willing to bet that there are a percentage of people of every sailing who would like to cancel or change sailings at the last minute due to their own ‘special situation’ - death in the family, illness, birth in the family, New pregnancy, adoption, school scheduling issue, military deployment, work situation, etc. I’m sure that the costs would add up in the aggregate for them to start allowing these changes. It would be unfair to those people for them to allow it here and not somewhere else. This is why insurance exists.

Agree. I've had lots of "special" circumstances in my life - adoption, death, etc. If RCL gives the OP a break - that's fine - it's RCL decision but I would expect the same treatment. That's why cancel for any reason insurance is great.

I totally agree. This is the problem with booking so far in advance. You never know what the future will bring. I am sure everyone of us has a "unique"problem where the cruise line would have to bend over backwards to accommodate us at the last minute.

This reminds me of another issue I read about.......Someone purchased tickets to a sold out Broadway show months in advance. The day before "Aunt Sally" comes to visit and they want to include her in their evening out. They call the theater to see if there is any way they can get three seats together....Of course its sold out, been sold out and no seats available. Well they insist they get a seat......they were told SORRY....nothing they can do.....Couple was mad as Hello, never did find out there what happened to them as well.

Edited by Host Clarea
Fixed quote

It’s unfortunate that the “me too / not fair” nature of our culture has made it very difficult for corporations to commit “random acts of kindness.”

But I also think the notion that customers and employees should have insurance for every contingency and that somehow absolves corporations from compassion is wrong headed. OP has not come back to say if they had insurance, but if they did, the line would essentially get to sell the cabin twice and those who purchase insurance pay for it when the insurance costs go up.

The line could choose to recognize that it was in their financial interest to issue FCC as they undoubtedly already have a wait list of people who would pay more for the cabin. But, by not doing so, they work towards a situation where all of their passengers are paying an extra 15% for cancel for any reason insurance and sell the cabin twice.

So I agree, this is why insurance exists, but this situation is exacerbated by the existence of insurance.

Total capacity is number of lifeboat seats available for passengers AND crew. Curious whether number of seats allocated to crew is based on actual or scheduled complement. If crew is short two waiters would they permit two additional passengers? My guess is probably no.

My understanding is that other than those assigned to operate the life boats the crew is assigned to life rafts. If for some reason a life boat cannot be launched the passengers assigned to that boat would then go into life rafts. Our resident chief engineer may correct me if I am wrong.

Update - from what I have read a ship must have a minimum lifesaving capacity of 100% of all souls onboard. Of that 75% must be lifeboats, the rest life rafts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by CarpeCerevisi

My understanding is that other than those assigned to operate the life boats the crew is assigned to life rafts. If for some reason a life boat cannot be launched the passengers assigned to that boat would then go into life rafts. Our resident chief engineer may correct me if I am wrong.

Update - from what I have read a ship must have a minimum lifesaving capacity of 100% of all souls onboard. Of that 75% must be lifeboats, the rest life rafts.

You are correct that only the 3-4 crew assigned to operate the lifeboat would be included in the lifeboat capacity. The remainder of the crew are assigned to life rafts.

Actually, a passenger ship must have 125% capacity of all souls onboard. The 100% requirement comes from requiring a minimum of 50% on each side.

You are correct that only the 3-4 crew assigned to operate the lifeboat would be included in the lifeboat capacity. The remainder of the crew are assigned to life rafts.

Actually, a passenger ship must have 125% capacity of all souls onboard. The 100% requirement comes from requiring a minimum of 50% on each side.

God bles you Op. I think god is smiling on you ,and I am not even religious.

Our family booked Anthem of the Seas for a Dec. 2017 cruise LAST December of 2016. At the time it was myself, my husband and our son. This will be our 3rd cruise with Royal Caribbean, all three booked through [a travel agent]. In April our former foster son was placed back with us. It was "temporary" at the time. As we neared our November court date it was apparent that he would be placed with us permanently by the judge. I called RC to see if we could add him to our room. Yes, there was room for a 4th in our superior room with large balcony. I called RC immediately after we received documentation from the court that he would be with us until he is 18 (3 years), but now they are at capacity. There is no way that this young man, who is as much a part of our family as our bio son, is going to a respite home while we are on a cruise, during the holidays no less.

I called our travel agent and the lady didn't seem to give a hoot about our situation. She robotically stated that they were at capacity and there was nothing they could do. I couldn't even switch to another ship/sail date etc. I would lose everything we've paid for this current booking. I called RC and the lady was very nice but told me that the boat was at capacity and could not allow anymore 3/4 person rooms. The only way we could add him to our trip was if someone with a 3/4 person room cancelled. I could call back though and maybe something will open up...

We are 2 weeks away from travel and I have to make plans. We WILL NOT go on this trip without him. Even if we were to book a 2nd cruise during the holidays so he can come with us, what do we do with the already booked, and paid for, cruise?

Had anyone had any luck in a similar situation?