Are they crazy with these prices??

champagne123

Nope - not interested. I'd rather spend my money seeing the world, not for some overpriced ship. I'll wait a year or so for the prices to go down. Besides, maiden voyages usually get delayed and rescheduled or have many glitches - not for me at any price.

For all those booking the Edge: Remember it is a brand new ship. Still lots of bugs to work out. Remember, if it can go wrong, it will go wrong. The simple reason we never book a new ship in the first 6 months of sailing.

I was looking at the Edge for Dec.2019, non holiday, and it came to $4500.00 for a std balcony. Give me a break. Wound up booking the equinox for $3000.00 instead.

We got a 14 night trip in Concierge level on the Reflection for $2550pp. Go ahead & pay the exorbitant prices for the Edge. We'll enjoy the Reflection just fine, thank you!

Sure is a nice ship. But with so many other cruise choices, I'm in no hurry to try Edge at the price it costs to be among the first. I'm very content to wait a couple more years. With many new ships coming soon and the inevitable recession hitting eventually, the bargains will be there in time.

I agree. The worst part is that those who pay a fortune to be on the first sailing usually come home and find Cruise Critic to complain about what didn't work or how construction was still going on.

Not a Edge price. But I had a 2018 Bermuda out of Cape Liberty on the Summit booked. For personal reasons we had to cancel. I took the money and rebooked the same week in 2019. Same cabin same cruise. Booked the day they were available . It was almost 1000.00 more. It makes me wish we didn't have to cancel!

I agree. The worst part is that those who pay a fortune to be on the first sailing usually come home and find Cruise Critic to complain about what didn't work or how construction was still going on.

Guaranteed. And part of that is because of the high prices they paid - "I paid a very high price so have high expectations, so it should have been perfect."

Sure, they could discount it - but since people are willing to pay the high prices, they aren't going to say no.

Actually, I believe that most of sailing on 'Maiden Voyages', whenever they take place, understand that there will be challenges on/for these sailings. Just like new tech, expected.

The complaints, from me at least, will be when I Am on my subsequent voyage(s) and many of the basic kinks are not worked out. Alas, there are kinks on current vessels so the difference is only on new ones? I think not.

I understand that 'kinks' are not for everyone and that is fine... we will enjoy regardless, I Am sure.

bon voyage

I would love to try the Edge but not at the current prices so maybe we will go on a cruise in 2019 on another Celebrity ship in the Med for a lot less or I need to make a ton of money to make it happen! ;p

Actually, I believe that most of sailing on 'Maiden Voyages', whenever they take place, understand that there will be challenges on/for these sailings. Just like new tech, expected.

The complaints, from me at least, will be when I Am on my subsequent voyage(s) and many of the basic kinks are not worked out. Alas, there are kinks on current vessels so the difference is only on new ones? I think not.

I understand that 'kinks' are not for everyone and that is fine... we will enjoy regardless, I Am sure.

bon voyage

Those who are active members of Cruise Critic know what to expect, which is why I would never book a Maiden Voyage or ship that is going into or coming out of a dry dock where major changes have been made. It's those who don't have experience who become disappointed.

Not a Edge price. But I had a 2018 Bermuda out of Cape Liberty on the Summit booked. For personal reasons we had to cancel. I took the money and rebooked the same week in 2019. Same cabin same cruise. Booked the day they were available . It was almost 1000.00 more. It makes me wish we didn't have to cancel!

Hold tight. I have been following the Bermuda prices for years. They always come down. Once I booked on the day that only Captains club members could book. What a joke that was. Two days later the price dropped for the general public $200 a person for the category I booked. I had the price adjusted but imagine all of those people who book and never look back at the price.

Those who are active members of Cruise Critic know what to expect, which is why I would never book a Maiden Voyage or ship that is going into or coming out of a dry dock where major changes have been made. It's those who don't have experience who become disappointed.

Gotcha Mike and quite true....

thank you....

bon voyage

For all those booking the Edge: Remember it is a brand new ship. Still lots of bugs to work out. Remember, if it can go wrong, it will go wrong. The simple reason we never book a new ship in the first 6 months of sailing.

Oh, so true!

Have an friend who worked for years in the cruise industry. He was well aware of the issues with new ships. His advice was :

1. New build in an existing class of ships, wait at least 6 months

2. First ship in a new class, wait 9-12 months.

This applies not only to making sure that all the infrastructure kinks have been resolved, but also the staff getting used to the new surroundings.

I really cannot see the price premium holding for the Edge. I just priced a comparison for Feb 2019, Sky Suite, 7 night Edge Eastern, and 11 night Reflection Ultimate - the per night cost Edge vs Reflection was 196%. I cannot rationalize/justify that differential; however, Edge is selling.

Oh, so true!

Have an friend who worked for years in the cruise industry. He was well aware of the issues with new ships. His advice was :

1. New build in an existing class of ships, wait at least 6 months

2. First ship in a new class, wait 9-12 months.

This applies not only to making sure that all the infrastructure kinks have been resolved, but also the staff getting used to the new surroundings.

Uh oh! And here I thought I was so clever to wait for the April TA because they’d have worked out the kinks by then;) Oh well:D

Edited by Silkroad
correction

So I guess this thread summed up in a nutshell is:

bragging rights don't come cheap! :cool:

I won't fork over the extra bucks to be first to new technology or experiences...but I sure do have fun living vicariously through those who do. So look fwd to those Edge trip reports! :D

Well it's booking but I wonder how many are waiting for price reductions and will cancel if they don't get them.

I’m sure anyone who follows Cruise Critic is doing just that. Can’t speak for the rest of the passengers. Unfortunately it’s a double Edge sword, no pun intended. If you book early you get the choice of room and possibly best price. If you wait you may end up with paying more for a room that is subpar and all of these early bookings only drive up the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm one of the crazy ones planning to go on the preview cruises. I think price is relative to what an individual is willing to pay for a certain experience. I had a certain maximum price point in mind when I heard about the 3 day preview cruises and was able to come in under that price point for 2 B2B 3 day cruises.

I have never been on an inaugural cruise, thinking I was smarter to wait until 3-6 months out, but secretly have always wanted to be in on the excitement of an inaugural. I have been on a few new ships in that 3-6 month range, loved every cruise and never had any glitches that made a difference to our enjoyment (Oasis, Allure, Silhouette, Reflection).

Reading about inaugural and early cruises on CC and some of the early glitches (and knowing how a new crew needs time to get to know the ship/routine) made me continue to wait until 3-6 months. Then along came the Edge, which I have been following avidly - it has been fun to watch the ship evolve on Lloyd's thread (I wouldn't call it an obsession, but it's become a bit of a hobby :D). We booked a January 2019 B2B as soon as the bookings were available and got a decent rate (again it is all relative). We have been excitedly planning for those cruises. I am not sure we will like all of the new innovations, but we will have a wonderful time trying everything.

When the preview 3 night cruises came up, I jumped on them. I am going in with open eyes, not expecting perfection, but expecting a whole lot of fun exploring and experiencing a new class of ship with few preconceived notions. I hope that I will give a balanced view on CC - I don't complain much and try to enjoy situations, even when things don't go as expected (and sometimes those become the most memorable moments). It will be interesting to experience a bit of the suite experience on the first leg and non-suite experience on the second leg on this ship with a larger area dedicated to suites only than other Celebrity ships.

I hope others on the ship will also have low expectations and not expect perfection, but I think some of the people here are correct in thinking that there will be those who slam the ship, thinking that these early cruises will represent a typical cruise.

We will see if this "Edge junky" will be cured after these preview cruises. I may never do another inaugural cruise again. :D

It's probably true that most do; however, each time there have been maiden sailings with large ships and issues have arisen there have been posts here complaining about the poor experience, and often justified being raised because of the high cost rather than being a cheap cruise.

It's probably true that most do; however, each time there have been maiden sailings with large ships and issues have arisen there have been posts here complaining about the poor experience, and often justified being raised because of the high cost rather than being a cheap cruise.
LOL, a major reason we sail X, it is not too expensive and definitely not cheap vs the real large mass market lines.

The whiners will come out of the bow of ship, for sure. Yes, there will be a few legit complaints, not to dismiss.

When you know the price and situation upfront, no complaining afterwards.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk