Interesting survey from Azamara.

Lottie A

I am not a regular contributor to Cruise Critic but have cruised with Azamara several times. The thought of these possible changes compelled me to add my voice to the forum and my answer is a definite no.

Like so many others the reason we choose to sail with Azamara is because of its lack of class distinction. Yes we can and have sailed in a suite but when sitting in the dining room or theatre who cares or even notices?

I received and responded to the survey. If the suggested changes re seating, lounge areas etc are implemented I know I will really miss the current amazing Azamara experience because I will have to find a new favourite cruise line.

We have both had the survey, as we usually book CC suites our perspective might be different but some of the extras asked about for veranda plus aren’t currently given to suites.

All we can do is answer the questions as we see fit and only worry about it if any changes actually happen, wouldn’t be the first time we’ve answered Cruise line questionnaires for nothing to happen.

As for Celebrity Aqua class that was just a marketing ploy to sell staterooms that otherwise would have been difficult to sell due to the huge pool deck overhang, and it worked!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As for Celebrity Aqua class that was just a marketing ploy to sell staterooms that otherwise would have been difficult to sell due to the huge pool deck overhang, and it worked!

No doubt it was a marketing ploy but that was not *all* it was.

We have enjoyed our access to Blu and, choosing with care, the location of our stateroom has never been a problem.

However, I agree that any attempt to further differentiate Verandah class on Azamara would not be a positive. Our questionnaire was filled out to reflect that position.

The positive in receiving the questionnaire was that we were able to express our position.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have both had the survey, as we usually book CC suites our perspective might be different but some of the extras asked about for veranda plus aren’t currently given to suites.

All we can do is answer the questions as we see fit and only worry about it if any changes actually happen, wouldn’t be the first time we’ve answered Cruise line questionnaires for nothing to happen.

Some of those Aqua Class balcony cabins have balconies three times the size of an Azamara balcony cabin. You can stretch out and put your feet up on a full size recliner. The overhang is great for those who don't want to roast in the sun. I much prefer Blu to the main dining room, especially for breakfast. And, of course, the price is less than half what Azamara charges. (We sailed Aqua Class last month in a bump cabin and will be sailing Azamara next December -with a few cruises in between.)

We have not had the questionnaire but would not welcome the introduction of a class system - How would I join Lottie and Hazel in a bar where I was barred? We have cruised more than 20 times on AZ and have had staterooms on deck 4 to deck 8 including the owner's suite but would not want areas throughout the ship being NoGo to us or other guests.

After cruising on AZ almost exclusively since 2008( except for Celebrity and some river cruises ) higher pricing has already driven us to try other lines and we have a new favourite in Regent Explorer which is superior in every respect - except for the AZ dream teams of Captain, Hotel director and Cruise director who are largely responsible for the brand's success. We feel increased prices for dubious benefits will make more loyal guests seek other cruise lines.

I understand from other posts that the pianists are being cut - I still miss the harpists - what a sad situation and what will replace them?

I may be crazy but I felt that the conclusion was already predetermined in this survey and it was designed to just find out what inclusions to Veranda Plus are most valued by their paying customers.

I fear the decision has already been made. There was only one space where I Could add a comment of my own, besides answer all of their questions.

Well, I think the responses here clearly demonstrate our opinions on the idea of paying more for a Veranda Plus cabin.

Let's hope Azamara listens.

Exactly. I expressed my opinion on the survey that the Veranda Plus idea is not something I would be interested in, and that it goes away from the atmosphere we love on Azamara where everyone is treated equally.

We have one Azamara cruise booked for 2019. The prices were so high that we had to book an Ocean View to be able to afford the trip. Adding a new even higher cost Veranda Plus option would definitely be out of reach for us.

Some of those Aqua Class balcony cabins have balconies three times the size of an Azamara balcony cabin. You can stretch out and put your feet up on a full size recliner. The overhang is great for those who don't want to roast in the sun. I much prefer Blu to the main dining room, especially for breakfast. And, of course, the price is less than half what Azamara charges. (We sailed Aqua Class last month in a bump cabin and will be sailing Azamara next December -with a few cruises in between.)

This is all nice, Toni, but some of us just object to being on a two-class ship. I happen not to think some of us are better than others and need to have the "others" kept away from us. I like that Azamara gives everyone an equal chance to reserve specialty restaurants, and that non-suite passengers can purchase access to the forward spa pool area, and it's not strictly off-limits to them. I don't want to see cruising revert back to the days of multi-class trans-Atlantic liners. What's next? Steerage?

We have not had the questionnaire but would not welcome the introduction of a class system - How would I join Lottie and Hazel in a bar where I was barred? We have cruised more than 20 times on AZ and have had staterooms on deck 4 to deck 8 including the owner's suite but would not want areas throughout the ship being NoGo to us or other guests.

After cruising on AZ almost exclusively since 2008( except for Celebrity and some river cruises ) higher pricing has already driven us to try other lines and we have a new favourite in Regent Explorer which is superior in every respect - except for the AZ dream teams of Captain, Hotel director and Cruise director who are largely responsible for the brand's success. We feel increased prices for dubious benefits will make more loyal guests seek other cruise lines.

I understand from other posts that the pianists are being cut - I still miss the harpists - what a sad situation and what will replace them?

Diane,

I think it far more likely that Lottie and I would be barred from joining you and Alan😂 But in reality it would never happen because we would be meeting up wherever we are all allowed wouldn't we?

Any thoughts about joining us in June?

Diane,

I think it far more likely that Lottie and I would be barred from joining you and Alan😂 But in reality it would never happen because we would be meeting up wherever we are all allowed wouldn't we?

Any thoughts about joining us in June?

Diane, Hazel is right...we would be the barred ones....you and Alan would likely be in a top suite.

Hope you and Alan are well. I was just remembering that very wet day in Sanary sur Mer and Alan's heroic efforts to get us a taxi!

Would love to see you both in June. :)

I didn’t get the survey, but I think this is a bad idea. Separate lounge and reserved seating in the theatre sounds suspiciously like Celebrity and not something I’d like to see coming the way of Azamara. The rest of the suggestions are either just fluff, something I can buy separately or as takemewithyou suggests dilute the offerings of the LCV loyalty program many of us already get. Without increasing the size of the footprint there isn’t much you can do to improve the cabins either. If I do get the survey I will reply forget the idea.

Phil

I agree with you. I guess it is just a way of increasing prices for veranda cabins. I would prefer to keep it like they are. Since prices have already increased, a further price differentiation due to some amenities does not sound right to me.

Sounds a lot like Oceania with their concierge cabins

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think oceanias model of concierge sits well. Dosn't create a 2 class ship. Talk of roped off areas for exclusive use is what concerns me.

Just an observation and not saying whether it is a good or bad thing.

The travel industry as a whole seems to be going more and more to a tiered or "class" if you will system. Take the airline industry for example. In the old days you had First Class and Coach. Today you commonly find First, Business, Premium Coach, Coach, and Value Coach. With each move up you get a few more perks and a little bit more comfort. An all inclusive resort line we use has standard, concierge, and butler as far as rooms go and have recently gone to six tiers of loyalty status adding perks and more comfort each step of the way. This seems to be the norm in the cruising industry with even the premium and luxury lines creating more of a distinction for the higher "class" cabins.

From a marketing point of view I believe there are two things at play:

#1 It is certainly a way for the management to create more profit for a comparable space on their ship/resort. #2. Contrary to the opinions voiced in this thread there seems to be plenty of people that are willing to pay the extra to receive perks/benefits that make their vacations more enjoyable whether that is reserved seating at a show, preferential treatment for reservations, not having to wait in line for tenders, as well as the less visible perks in the cabin/room. I suspect there are a great number of people that love having the ability to pay for more attention, pampering, perks, etc... but won't comment as such on these threads out of fear of being called snobbish, entitled, etc... where in reality they just want to add to their relaxation and enjoyment of the vacations they are able to take.

So as long as the market is there and the profit is there I think we will continue to see the progression toward the tiered/class system.

Just an observation and not saying whether it is a good or bad thing.

The travel industry as a whole seems to be going more and more to a tiered or "class" if you will system. Take the airline industry for example. In the old days you had First Class and Coach. Today you commonly find First, Business, Premium Coach, Coach, and Value Coach. With each move up you get a few more perks and a little bit more comfort. An all inclusive resort line we use has standard, concierge, and butler as far as rooms go and have recently gone to six tiers of loyalty status adding perks and more comfort each step of the way. This seems to be the norm in the cruising industry with even the premium and luxury lines creating more of a distinction for the higher "class" cabins.

From a marketing point of view I believe there are two things at play:

#1 It is certainly a way for the management to create more profit for a comparable space on their ship/resort. #2. Contrary to the opinions voiced in this thread there seems to be plenty of people that are willing to pay the extra to receive perks/benefits that make their vacations more enjoyable whether that is reserved seating at a show, preferential treatment for reservations, not having to wait in line for tenders, as well as the less visible perks in the cabin/room. I suspect there are a great number of people that love having the ability to pay for more attention, pampering, perks, etc... but won't comment as such on these threads out of fear of being called snobbish, entitled, etc... where in reality they just want to add to their relaxation and enjoyment of the vacations they are able to take.

So as long as the market is there and the profit is there I think we will continue to see the progression toward the tiered/class system.

Interesting comments.

You are certainly correct about the increasing use of "perks" to drive cruise industry revenue. On larger ships, this policy might indeed make some sense and we have availed ourselves of opportunities in that area.

As for the questionaire itself, unlike others, we didn't feel the outcome was predetermined. The section on a new "veranda class" was concerning, but there were other topics as well.

Of equal interest to us was the possibility of "themed" cruises, although oddly, in that section, a theme concerning a certain policeman in Sicily was not suggested :).

Given the "destination immersion" policy of Azamara, it seems to us that "themed" cruises might build upon the present Azamara philosophy and be a positive feature for certain itineraries.

We did not get the survey so it would be interesting to know was it a random 25% repeaters or what that was asked.

I think asking questions of guests is always a great idea. However I would prefer Azamara not to look to follow trends just because everyone else is doing things. Most significantly, destination immersion in my view is about a shared experience of exploring the ports of call. That does not fit with a "classed" society onboard. Sharing the destination is for me, not only about sharing ashore, but sharing onboard when we talk about ports before and after we visit. I would not want that sharing to be limited just to the class I have been "allocated".

As others say, what is great about azamara now is that it is so nearly a one class ship. Although I sadly had to report on behaviour issues on a recent cruise, what at that time I did not say was that generally the majority of guests treat everyone as respected equals. That doesn't happen on RC or Celebrity where separate dining and drinking venues limited to only some guests starts to introduce onboard tensions and sometimes jealousies and this spills over into behaviour issues and tensions with staff being the separation enforcers. Azamara doesn't have these tensions, I can say to someone I meet on a tour, join us for dinner or a drink, I don't have to soft foot around what that venue might be - where can you go versus me etc.

They will spoil so much more if they change it. If they want to generate more revenue, create more bundle packages that people buy if they want, but otherwise leave well alone. What I really worry is that the focus of the questions says to me Royal Caribbean wants all its lines to be very similar, they don't understand what is unique with azamara and that is what generates sales. If they want three almost identical clones fine, but you will kill the attraction for so many of your current loyal Azamara guests.

Thanks to everyone who has had surveys and has made their views known.

I also filled out the survey and it sounds like they got an earful again about the showers and curtain.

It was clear this was a fishing expedition.

I do like Aqua class because of location as we are early into gym and we love Blu they keep a table for two away from others as I have bad asthma and the perfume and colognes spoil a meal and I end up excusing myself to use inhaler.

The perks they suggested put me off and yes it sounded like they wanted to rope you off and hang a sign on you.

We did not get the survey so it would be interesting to know was it a random 25% repeaters or what that was asked.

We are only repeaters on Celebrity (10th Cruise in June)

We have done one Azamara cruise ( 2016) and one RCCL( 2001)

I think asking questions of guests is always a great idea. However I would prefer Azamara not to look to follow trends just because everyone else is doing things. Most significantly, destination immersion in my view is about a shared experience of exploring the ports of call. That does not fit with a "classed" society onboard. Sharing the destination is for me, not only about sharing ashore, but sharing onboard when we talk about ports before and after we visit. I would not want that sharing to be limited just to the class I have been "allocated".

As others say, what is great about azamara now is that it is so nearly a one class ship. Although I sadly had to report on behaviour issues on a recent cruise, what at that time I did not say was that generally the majority of guests treat everyone as respected equals. That doesn't happen on RC or Celebrity where separate dining and drinking venues limited to only some guests starts to introduce onboard tensions and sometimes jealousies and this spills over into behaviour issues and tensions with staff being the separation enforcers. Azamara doesn't have these tensions, I can say to someone I meet on a tour, join us for dinner or a drink, I don't have to soft foot around what that venue might be - where can you go versus me etc.

They will spoil so much more if they change it. If they want to generate more revenue, create more bundle packages that people buy if they want, but otherwise leave well alone. What I really worry is that the focus of the questions says to me Royal Caribbean wants all its lines to be very similar, they don't understand what is unique with azamara and that is what generates sales. If they want three almost identical clones fine, but you will kill the attraction for so many of your current loyal Azamara guests.

Thanks to everyone who has had surveys and has made their views known.

Agree totally with your post.

As laurieb has already pointed out, some of the suggestions re: Veranda Plus reflected present distinctions for Concierge Class on Oceania. Take away the idea of a separate lounge and they are rather innocuous in our view. However, as mentioned on this thread they may well impinge on present LCV

benefits.

We tentatively liked the themed cruises idea as it may increase the value of your point about a “shared experience” on board. The downside would be, as on our recent “golf cruise”, that the theme may also separate participants.

Actually a positive in participating in the questionnaire was that it helped us sharpen our own thinking as to what we value in a cruise experience.

We hope that the consultants behind the questionnaire will also learn about what is prized in the Azamara experience.

No to a class identified experience. That was one reason we left Celebrity. We now purchase Oceania and are considering Azamara.

Looking at comments on the Virgin thread, they are similar to the pushback on the class system noted on this thread. Posters making suggestions do not want a class system.

I compliment papa B me - your analysis of the rapidly intensifying class system in the leisure industry are spot on.

I am old enough to remember the 1970's with the end of the SS France in 1974. The cruise industry was early on and they were shrilling about the nasty Cunard and French line and their class system. The cruise industry said that we treat everyone the same - well look at you now cruise industry - hypocrites.

We did not get the survey and are long time Azamara cruises having done one or two almost every year since 2008.

Maybe it was just a random selection.

We have only one booking for this year.

I do not like the way prices are going or the other possible changes.

Will wait to see how things work out before making any more commitments.

I don't feel like I'm qualified to comment on whether any potential changes will be good or bad since I haven't sailed on Azamara yet. Our first will be September. I try to keep my expectations realistic which was the basis for my analysis above. As all of you when I travel I'm evaluating my perceived value for the experience. Because I'm only in my mid 50's and own my own business we usually only take two trips a year, I do lean towards bigger cabins/suites to try and make each trip a once in a lifetime experience. From what you all describe regarding the current system I do believe if my analysis is accurate Azamara will have to get their non suite/extra

perks fares much more competitive to avoid losing current customers and attract new customers if they start doing things the same as Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

You are certainly correct about the increasing use of "perks" to drive cruise industry revenue. On larger ships, this policy might indeed make some sense and we have availed ourselves of opportunities in that area.

Yep, current Azamara ships aren't big enough to accommodate different "classes". They don't have space for additional premium venues or cabins that are flexible enough to do it. As for reserved seating in the theatre, their size would lead to a lot of ill-feeling. I don't think it's even practical to do that for suites. Aside from that, on a ship as small I'd be embarrassed to be one of the "few". It's been said many times on this thread, but it's one of the things I like about Azamara. Everyone is treated the same way. Walking around the ship I wouldn't know (or care) what other people's cabin grade was. I just enjoy the service that comes to all of the guests.

Phil