Broken arm, cruise coming up

flamingos

So I am supposed to cruise Saturday and I broke my arm yesterday, had surgery this morning, get released tomorrow. If I have to recover, I’d prefer to be in a lounge chair, with someone else cooking & cleaning.

Are there any restrictions from Royal that would prevent me from boarding? And documentation that I need?

Thanks.

So I am supposed to cruise Saturday and I broke my arm yesterday, had surgery this morning, get released tomorrow. If I have to recover, I’d prefer to be in a lounge chair, with someone else cooking & cleaning.

Are there any restrictions from Royal that would prevent me from boarding? And documentation that I need?

Thanks.

I boarded with a sling recently, and nothing was said.

Thanks.

Here are some general thoughts. I broke my arm on the Monday of Thanksgiving week, had surgery on Tuesday, and went home on Wednesday. On Friday I was able to drive myself to the pharmacy and supermarket. Although I may not have felt like a cruise just two days after surgery, if I had had a booking, I would have been able to go.

I felt very tired all the following week. Aftereffects of anesthesia may have contributed to it, but the way everything took longer and was more effort had a role, too. If you are with a companion it will be a little less like this because you can get help with things that are complicated to do using only one hand.

On a cruise, I would have chosen half-day rather than full-day shore excursions, so that it was possible to return to the ship if I felt too tired. If I didn't feel so tired, there would be things to do independently of the excursion.

Make sure you have enough pain medication. If you are taking an opioid of any sort, carry it in the pharmacy bottle with its label, and don't carry it off the ship unless you are certain that it's not prohibited in the country you're visiting. On board, store it in the safe in your cabin, if there is one.

Packing on your own will likely be difficult. Handling luggage on your own, even more so. A rolling bag that you can lift with one hand will probably be OK. For a "personal item" or cabin bag, you'll probably need one that can piggyback on the roller bag. If you are traveling with a companion, coordinate packing so that you don't rely on the companion to carry more than he/she can.

If you will be dressing alone, you may want to head to a shoe store before you go, for a pair of walking shoes that don't require tying shoelaces. It was more than a month before I could tie mine, and I don't like to walk far in slip-ons, so I bought shoes with Velcro straps even though they make me feel like an old geezer.

There is one way in which it's better to cruise in the time soon after surgery than later. Right now I'm unable to take a winter vacation as I otherwise might, because I started physical therapy just after Christmas and will be having it until sometime in February. My job precludes travel in March and part of April, but I've booked a cruise for the end of April. Before physical therapy started, I would have been delighted to rest in a lounge chair and let someone else cook, serve, and clean, so I think you have the right idea about that.

How far is it to the port? The only thing I would be concerned about are potentially increasing your risk of blood clots with surgery, immobility and travel. I would probably talk to your doctor about that. Otherwise, I say go on your trip and relax.

DH broke his collarbone two weeks before one of our cruises. He had surgery to repair it 4 days later. We cruised as scheduled with no problems. We did have clearance from his doctor that he was fit to cruise, but were never asked for anything even though he told the crew member checking us in about his collarbone. Needless to say, he wasn't feeling his best on the cruise, but he still enjoyed it and was very glad we decided to go ahead and cruise as planned.

That said, No two people recover on exactly the same schedule. If you think you feel up to going on your cruise, talk to your doctor about your plans and go with what they tell you. Hope you have a quick recovery.

Here are some general thoughts. I broke my arm on the Monday of Thanksgiving week, had surgery on Tuesday, and went home on Wednesday. On Friday I was able to drive myself to the pharmacy and supermarket. Although I may not have felt like a cruise just two days after surgery, if I had had a booking, I would have been able to go.

I felt very tired all the following week. Aftereffects of anesthesia may have contributed to it, but the way everything took longer and was more effort had a role, too. If you are with a companion it will be a little less like this because you can get help with things that are complicated to do using only one hand.

On a cruise, I would have chosen half-day rather than full-day shore excursions, so that it was possible to return to the ship if I felt too tired. If I didn't feel so tired, there would be things to do independently of the excursion.

Make sure you have enough pain medication. If you are taking an opioid of any sort, carry it in the pharmacy bottle with its label, and don't carry it off the ship unless you are certain that it's not prohibited in the country you're visiting. On board, store it in the safe in your cabin, if there is one.

Packing on your own will likely be difficult. Handling luggage on your own, even more so. A rolling bag that you can lift with one hand will probably be OK. For a "personal item" or cabin bag, you'll probably need one that can piggyback on the roller bag. If you are traveling with a companion, coordinate packing so that you don't rely on the companion to carry more than he/she can.

If you will be dressing alone, you may want to head to a shoe store before you go, for a pair of walking shoes that don't require tying shoelaces. It was more than a month before I could tie mine, and I don't like to walk far in slip-ons, so I bought shoes with Velcro straps even though they make me feel like an old geezer.

There is one way in which it's better to cruise in the time soon after surgery than later. Right now I'm unable to take a winter vacation as I otherwise might, because I started physical therapy just after Christmas and will be having it until sometime in February. My job precludes travel in March and part of April, but I've booked a cruise for the end of April. Before physical therapy started, I would have been delighted to rest in a lounge chair and let someone else cook, serve, and clean, so I think you have the right idea about that.

Such a good reply. This is what this forum should be about.

Just remember to take waterproof cast protector to allow you to shower easier. Enjoy your cruise.

The OP may not have a cast. Depending on the break, sometimes a brace is used instead, and in a surgical repair (which the OP had), if a metal plate or pins are used, nothing more than a sling may be required. I had a waterproof surgical dressing and a sling; at first I had to wear the sling almost 24 hours a day.

For our Alaskan cruise, my youngest was in a cast for a broken foot. Yep, he was on crutches, but when you are 14, you tend to ignore them and just play ping pong anyway and wear a hole in the cast! Oh yeah, his orthopedist got a good laugh out of that! Only thing was at the airport in Atlanta, they had to swab down his cast for some kind of residue I guess. Seattle airport was a PITA. They made him stand in the x-ray machine with no crutches, he had to take off his belt on his pant that were too big and then pray they didn't fall to his ankles when he had to hold up his arms in the x-ray machine. It was ridiculous! Other than that (luckily at the end of our vacation) - he did almost everything we had planned. Probably would have trekked on a glacier if they could have fit a crampon on his cast!

Thanks.

As others have said, I would expect no restrictions nor documentation other than possibly prescription information justifying/explaining your pain meds.

(A recent cruise included an overnighter in one port. On the afternoon of the first day we saw a woman being taken off the ship on a stretcher. The word on the grapevine was that she had fallen and broken her leg. The next afternoon we saw her wheeled back on the ship in a wheelchair.)

When my wife had a hip replaced, I was her designated "coach" and was expected to go through several sessions with her before and after to learn how she could cope with the pain, limited mobility etc that would follow on from the operation. (Which was planned to give us at least 6 weeks before our next cruise!) I learned a lot and was very impressed with the occupational therapists and the hints they provided on things like how to tie your shoes etc when you have limited mobility, loss of use of one hand, etc. They provided her with one nifty gadget that made it possible to put on a pair of socks one-handed without bending over... You will probably do just fine in your lounge chair, but you might find it useful to see if you can arrange a quick session with an occupational therapist at your hospital...

Enjoy the cruise!

Op I can’t imagine there being a problem.

Seattle airport was a PITA. They made him stand in the x-ray machine with no crutches, he had to take off his belt on his pant that were too big and then pray they didn't fall to his ankles when he had to hold up his arms in the x-ray machine. It was ridiculous!

You could have requested a pat down instead is the naked machine (backscatter or whatever...not an X-ray machine though). And the belt thing...yes when you go to the airport you’re supposed to take off your belt for security. Most people remember that and dress for it. :)

When my wife had a hip replaced, I was her designated "coach" and was expected to go through several sessions with her before and after to learn how she could cope with the pain, limited mobility etc that would follow on from the operation. (Which was planned to give us at least 6 weeks before our next cruise!)

Enjoy the cruise!

Really? I have had both of my hips replaced. For the first one, my husband took a week off and went back to work after 3 days. He just left my snacks on the top shelf of the fridge and my cereal and bowl out on the counter. I just toddled around with my walker and gave myself the blood thinner injections. For the second one, I think he took 2 days off. After 8 weeks we went to Europe for a TA and walked all around the Vatican. I took my folding cane but never used it. :D It probably would have been nice to have a coach, but I could do my exercises in my pajamas.

Sorry for your limited arm mobility. I hope you will enjoy the cruise anyway.

Really? I have had both of my hips replaced. ...After 8 weeks we went to Europe for a TA and walked all around the Vatican. I took my folding cane but never used it. :D It probably would have been nice to have a coach, but I could do my exercises in my pajamas. ...

I am glad you had such a pleasant recovery. Six weeks after surgery we went to Venice for a fews days, then on a Greek Islands cruise, a couple of days in Athens, back to Venice for a week... Modern medicine is wonderful.

However, the point of my story is not about comparing different persons' surgical traumas and their recovery therefrom; the point was that, based on my personal experience watching professionals, I could recommend the services of occupational therapists to someone who might be having difficulties coping with the recent onset of a physical problem (such as a surgically repaired broken arm.) I had heard the phrase "occupational therapist" but before this experience I had no knowledge or understanding of their function or of the potential benefit they could provide. I was hoping that the OP or others might find this useful. I am sorry you did not.

You may have already discovered this, but when I had a cast on my arm that extended over much of my hand, I had a great deal of difficulty holding the hair dryer to do my hair and twisting the top off of a bottle (like a soft drink).I learned I'm severely uncoordinated during this experience. I also couldn't get a grip on a tray (such as in the WJ) so I had to have someone carry my tray. Might be easier to have meals in the MDR. This also might depend more on which arm is broken, and if the cast involves your hand/wrist in the casting.