D + cruisers do Princess, a little comparison....

We just returned from a 14 day Caribbean cruise on the Caribbean Princess.

This cruise offered a total of 9 ports, 4 of which were new to us.

We embarked in FLL on Jan 13, we had a MS (mini suite)

This was our 3rd Princess cruise.

JS vs MS....no comparison in my opinion JS will win everytime. The closet system is different than any other RC ship we've been on, there are no doors, just a shelf and hanging, a separate cabinet of shelves that also has the safe. Actually I kind of liked the closet as it is easy to access anything, except when someone is coming in or out of the bathroom! I will take the walk in closet on a JS any day!!! So RC wins here.

The main difference is the size. The MS is long and narrow, the bed is first and then the sitting area at the balcony door. Being long and narrow, its tight, while a JS is much nicer with being wider...of course, then your balcony is wider too...need I say more? :D Again RC wins this one!

Apparently MS comes with upgraded linens and towels, lines were nice but those towels were like sandpaper! Another win for RC.

2 tv's per MS.....while on this cruise new 43 inch tv's were installed, with OnDemand, must of cost a pretty penny for all that! OK, gotta give this one to Princess. :)

Elevators

We all know the ones who close the door just before you get to it, pretty much happens on every cruise line. My main complaint about the Caribbean Princess elevators is how they are located on each deck. Example, lets say there are 6 elevators in the mid section, all six are not together! Instead of 3 on each side they are spread out, one here, one there, you can't see the #'s displayed on what deck they are on. When it dings, not all arrows light up...good grief...what a stupid design! Plus they are all very small! So RC definitely wins this one!

Ports

This was a port intensive cruise. We are not water, sand or tour kind of people, so we took it easy in all ports, especially DH will be getting a hip replacement soon.

First port was the private island of Princess Cays, tendered. I was really shocked they actually didn't cancel this port due to sea conditions, we were tossed around in the life boat tender like crazy, people were holding each other, praying and just looking green. We were fine, but others weren't.

As for the island, from what we saw, they don't offer much other than loungers and a few other things and of course a BBQ buffet, not too impressed after Allure and Labadee!!!

So again RC for the win here!!!

We had 4 new ports, St Kitts, Trinidad, Bonaire and Grand Turk. Because this has a better itinerary, Princess will get the vote here.

St Kitts, we somehow lost the pier privilage so we had to tender, UGH! It was very hot and humid and standing waiting for tenders was hard.

Trinidad! My favorite port of the cruise. We know a RC crew member who lives there and she was on her vacation so she picked us up and wisked us away! Although it rained pretty hard all day, when we got to the beach, it stopped just long enough to enjoy lunch at the beach, for the life of me I can't remeber the name of it, but we had lunch at Richards Bake and Shark. Yes, we ate shark. In fact, you know that guy Andrew Zimmer who travels the world eating all the crazy foods and delicicates? He ate there and it was on his show.

Funny name Bake and Shark, bake is the bread or roll portion of the sandwich and shark is well, the shark. It was delicous!!!!

Grand Turk was a surprise, the most beauriful water and beaches I have ever seen!

People were snorkling, diving, swimming and just enjoying the beach. Plenty of water tours available just off the pier.

Bonaire was also very nice, clean and lovely people who were friendly.

Overall Princess wins this hands down as RC itineraries are stale and nothing new offered, or for that matter, 14 day cruises.

Entertainment.

The theatre is a joke, its so small you need to get there 60 minutes or more for a seat. They have an overflow with live feed at another venue, but its hard to see over the head in front of you because its not elevated plus its out of sync. Poor entertainment in general, RC has better productions but can't comment on headliners cause we skipped all shows after the first night due to the seating. RC will get my vote here!

Food.

If I don't have to plan, shop, cook and clean it up, its good!

Seriously, we thought the MDR menus were lacking and on 3 occasions we ended up with the burger cause nothing else seemed intersting. I didn't care for the Ceasar salads and the shrimp cocktails were pueny. I guess I will call this one a tie, both RC and Princess have their pluses and minuses so its a push.

Some things Princess offers but not on RC.

.....Laundomat. YES! So everyone says, who wants to do laundry while on a cruise? It was a blessing, I was able to pack essentialy for an 8 day cruise, it was easy to do a quick load of laundry, it was nice that is was very close to our MS, also if I needed something pressed, it was easy. I used the laundry twice, well worth it!

.....Bottled water. We had the option of purchasing 12 pk water pre cruise, online only.

We bought 2, for a total of $13.00 Thats cheap compared to ship prices! Wish we had purchased three 12 pks! But then we found $1 bottled water near the end of the cruise so we stocked up.

....On Demand TV...the choices!!!

.....Better itineraries and longer cruises year around.

....A kiosok for printing out your account.

....Room service. We didn't use the order form for breakfast and hang on the door at bedtime. RC takes nothing less than 30-45 minutes just for coffee. We just call when we get up and order coffee....less than 10 minutes.....10 minutes people!! It takes longer to brew a pot at home! :D LOL

Somethings RC offers but not Princess

....We really missed having a Cemtrium or Royal Promenade. Especially the Cafe Promonade to grab a coffee or quick bite. The International Cafe on Princes offeres everything but regular coffee or tea! The Centrium for entertainment and just overall apperance and relaxing atmosphere. People watching in both venues is always fun.

....TV options for checking your account.

....Overall ship layouts and easy navigation in getting around.

In comparison RC is the overall winner here, it will always be our first choice in cruising, but it doesn't hurt to see how green the grass is on the other side of the fence.

We are looking forword to our 12 nt Serenade Boston repo in October. You never know what can come up in between!!! :D

We did a Panama Canal cruise in December on Caribbean Princess. I tend to agree with your assessment. We found the layout of the ship to be choppy and difficult to get from point a to point b in many instances. Our dining room was on deck 6 aft and in order to get there we had to go up one deck then down to deck 6, and not every elevator went to that level.

The comment about theater seating is right on. Did they not know how many passengers there were to design the theater seating accordingly? We also found seating in public area very limited. On the positive side we enjoyed Vines wine bar and thought the crew gave very good service.

We will be on Serenade next month and look forward to seeing Mario in the CL.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Forums mobile app

We did a Panama Canal cruise in December on Caribbean Princess. I tend to agree with your assessment. We found the layout of the ship to be choppy and difficult to get from point a to point b in many instances. Our dining room was on deck 6 aft and in order to get there we had to go up one deck then down to deck 6, and not every elevator went to that level.

The comment about theater seating is right on. Did they not know how many passengers there were to design the theater seating accordingly? We also found seating in public area very limited. On the positive side we enjoyed Vines wine bar and thought the crew gave very good service.

We will be on Serenade next month and look forward to seeing Mario in the CL.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Forums mobile app

TY, I'm glad someone understood and agrees about the ships layout and elevators. Its very odd for a modern vessel to have this kind of layout. We lucked out on cabin location, we were 2 cabins aft of the aft elevators, the two end elevators went down to 6 and also up to 18, the only elevators for that option.

We missed Vines, didn't go there, and yes public seating is at a premium!

Thanks for the comparison. We think about other other lines but just love some RC things like the RP and the entertainment. Glad to hear there are other things we would miss so we don’t totally feel like we are drinking the koolaid

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the review. We just made D+ and we're doing a cruise this year on Princess around the the U.K. Figures. Princess had ship we wanted to try (larger) and a better itinerary and it was a lot less cost overall (even including the D+ stuff) We may regret it, but we've been happy on other Princess cruises (only done smaller west coast ships). It will be a new kind of adventure. Overall I think the MDR food is slightly better on RCI, but the specialty restaurants are a ton cheaper on Princess. Also, we miss the promenades, but we love the International Cafe. Best donuts at sea. Not like those dried out things on RCI ships. Also, the coffee cards (including real brewed coffee) are handy and economical (also the bottled water as you mentioned).

The pizza restaurant on Princess ships is very good and we love that you can get burgers and hot dogs out by the pool. Also, the cookies on Princess are good and during the outside movies they bring you popcorn, cookies, and hot chocolate. OK, so it's little things, but ...

Princess has much cheaper bingo (my wife likes to play). RCI has jacked the price on bingo and taken away some of the cards. Princess often has 2 for 1 drinks during the day (we don't drink a lot so this works for us). We've been happy on both lines, but this will be our first time to Europe and first time on one of the larger Princess ships.

I don't really cruise to watch TV, but the TV choices on Princess are much better IMO (watch while going to sleep or if wife is getting ready). The rooms are give and take although, I'd much rather go in a JS over a MS (MS's have been less $$$ for us in the comparison though).

We like some of the activities on Princess better too. We also think the trivia and board type games are better on Princess. The do more video, audio, and image trivia things and there are more times to play.

The crews and staff are about equal. Both excellent.

The laundry thing is huge. Not always for doing laundry, but you get to use an iron for quick touch ups. So handy.

The loyalty program on RCI is better. Way better. But, the prices, gratuities, and prices of specialty restaurants are going through the roof on RCI so the loyalty program is less and less important because we can buy the stuff we get for free and still save some bucks. Also, Princess still has refundable deposits so it's easier to book ahead.

I'm pretty much happy anywhere any time I'm on a ship.

Tom

Thanks for your review; Princess does have the Piazza with all the shops, and the international café; which does have regular coffee in addition to specialty coffee's. I think the piazza shops are about the same as the centrum shops on the smaller royal Caribbean ships. also in main dining room; did you not try the fettucinni alfredo which can be had by itself or in a parmesan basket? It is offered every night. You had mini suite; but I assume you didn not go with club class dining; The theater holds 800; which is not great; because if everyone on the ship wanted to attended the first or last show of the cruise there is no way it could happen. Theater is way to small

We're also D+ and sail in the JS category...We tried PCL once...the grass definitely wasn't greener for us either. Now after 25+ RCI cruises...One PCL cruise...we're getting ready to do our first with X and already I'm missing the JS RCI offer's and the pricing...the sky suite on X $$$'s way too much for us so a veranda balcony it's gonna be.

We did the CB for Christmas 2 years ago and we’re disappointed.

I will say one thing for them: once you’ve been there and done that with rock walls, flow riders, water slides and such, it’s very refreshing to be on a Lido deck with 4 pools that are not over crowded.

We also liked that we never had to sign for drinks with their beverage package, in fact once we wanted to extra tip the guy who had been tending to us all afternoon and asked him to bring us a receipt - he said he could not do that.

And their [emoji487] rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for your review; Princess does have the Piazza with all the shops, and the international café; which does have regular coffee in addition to specialty coffee's. I think the piazza shops are about the same as the centrum shops on the smaller royal Caribbean ships. also in main dining room; did you not try the fettucinni alfredo which can be had by itself or in a parmesan basket? It is offered every night. You had mini suite; but I assume you didn not go with club class dining; The theater holds 800; which is not great; because if everyone on the ship wanted to attended the first or last show of the cruise there is no way it could happen. Theater is way to small

Yes I did have the fettucini, not only as entree but asked as an appetizer as well, very good!

You assumed correct, we did not have the club class dining, only because we sailed with 2 other couples who were not in MS's.

The shops were OK, broken up on 2 decks and the general store down one more deck, rather hard to navigate on busy times.

Thanks for the review. We just made D+ and we're doing a cruise this year on Princess around the the U.K. Figures. Princess had ship we wanted to try (larger) and a better itinerary and it was a lot less cost overall (even including the D+ stuff) We may regret it, but we've been happy on other Princess cruises (only done smaller west coast ships). It will be a new kind of adventure. Overall I think the MDR food is slightly better on RCI, but the specialty restaurants are a ton cheaper on Princess. Also, we miss the promenades, but we love the International Cafe. Best donuts at sea. Not like those dried out things on RCI ships. Also, the coffee cards (including real brewed coffee) are handy and economical (also the bottled water as you mentioned).

I forgot about the specialty restaurants being cheaper!! By far a much better value and they don't try and sell them everytime you turn around.

The pizza restaurant on Princess ships is very good and we love that you can get burgers and hot dogs out by the pool. Also, the cookies on Princess are good and during the outside movies they bring you popcorn, cookies, and hot chocolate. OK, so it's little things, but ...

Princess has much cheaper bingo (my wife likes to play). RCI has jacked the price on bingo and taken away some of the cards. Princess often has 2 for 1 drinks during the day (we don't drink a lot so this works for us). We've been happy on both lines, but this will be our first time to Europe and first time on one of the larger Princess ships.

Bingo is cheaper!!! And the jackpots grow higher each day not won, a much better Bingo than RC!

I don't really cruise to watch TV, but the TV choices on Princess are much better IMO (watch while going to sleep or if wife is getting ready). The rooms are give and take although, I'd much rather go in a JS over a MS (MS's have been less $$$ for us in the comparison though).

We like some of the activities on Princess better too. We also think the trivia and board type games are better on Princess. The do more video, audio, and image trivia things and there are more times to play.

YES! I played several times, I was selected both times for Passenger Fued and the one simular to Millionare game. Their Quest game is a little different and really toned down! I like Quest better on RC.

The crews and staff are about equal. Both excellent.

The laundry thing is huge. Not always for doing laundry, but you get to use an iron for quick touch ups. So handy.

The loyalty program on RCI is better. Way better. But, the prices, gratuities, and prices of specialty restaurants are going through the roof on RCI so the loyalty program is less and less important because we can buy the stuff we get for free and still save some bucks. Also, Princess still has refundable deposits so it's easier to book ahead.

Yes! , loyalty is so much better on RC. Highest level on Princess is Elite, biggest benefit is free laundry. We were told by an Elite member that because there were so many elite members onboard that laundry would take 5 days to get back!

I'm pretty much happy anywhere any time I'm on a ship.

Tom

Hope you enjoy your cruise, go with an open mind and like you said.....you're happy anytime your on a ship!

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments!!

Thanks for the comparison. My DW is extremely Loyal to Royal(we even cancelled our Reflection cruise to do Anthem) but I am more than willing to try PCL for some different itineraries and some new experiences.

On a Royal board you expect the review to be slanted to your preferred product and while this is natural I too am waiting to try a Princess sailing that goes to different places and appreciate the details regarding your cruise.

Thank you for your review & comparisons. I have sailed mainly Royal for many of the topics you mentioned. The layout especially is poor on Princess. I always seemed to be walking with a lot of turns. Cabins on Princess were smaller then Royal. We have always had good cruises with Princess and they offer wonderful itineraries but in general are higher. Our daughter & I will be back on the Emerald Princess in a year with friends. to Hawaii & back. Wish Royal brought back their RT Hawaii cruises.

Thank you for your review & comparisons. I have sailed mainly Royal for many of the topics you mentioned. The layout especially is poor on Princess. I always seemed to be walking with a lot of turns. Cabins on Princess were smaller then Royal. We have always had good cruises with Princess and they offer wonderful itineraries but in general are higher. Our daughter & I will be back on the Emerald Princess in a year with friends. to Hawaii & back. Wish Royal brought back their RT Hawaii cruises.

Oh YES, bring back those RT Hawaii cruises from SD!!!

We are really not ready to do Princess Hawaii, as much as we would hate doing a one way voyage on RC, we would pick that first over Princess.

About the Princess cabins....as I mentioned this was our 3rd Princess cruise, the first was in a standard balcony cabin...very small and I absolutely hated that side chair, it was useless and always in the way. So now only a MS. Funny part is our friends had a standard balcony and I told them how small the cabins are and THAT chair....about the 3rd day of the cruise my friend said she was ready to throw that chair overboard!!! LOL

Live and learn.

Thank you for your comments. :)

Our first cruise was on the Sea Princess in 2002 and we thought we were living. LOL. Our 2nd cruise on Princess was 2006 on the Sun Princess , a 17 day panama back to Seattle and by the 10th day my husband & I were getting snappy. My 3rd was with friends on the Star and was shocked when I saw their JS, a long narrow cabin. Even my standard balcony on Baja was wider. :). I recently lost on my husband on our TA on the Serenade and the daughter & I wanted to do a cruise together for us to relax so selected the RT Hawaii on the Emerald with our friends who live 45 minutes away. We will enjoy the relaxing days on the ocean and have a toast to my husband & her father.:). We are neighbors in a way being I am in Calif.

Our first cruise was on the Sea Princess in 2002 and we thought we were living. LOL. Our 2nd cruise on Princess was 2006 on the Sun Princess , a 17 day panama back to Seattle and by the 10th day my husband & I were getting snappy. My 3rd was with friends on the Star and was shocked when I saw their JS, a long narrow cabin. Even my standard balcony on Baja was wider. :). I recently lost on my husband on our TA on the Serenade and the daughter & I wanted to do a cruise together for us to relax so selected the RT Hawaii on the Emerald with our friends who live 45 minutes away. We will enjoy the relaxing days on the ocean and have a toast to my husband & her father.:). We are neighbors in a way being I am in Calif.

I am so sorry to hear about your husband, please accept my sympathy.

Yes the MS are very narrow, but better than a standard balcony.

We will be in PS in April, renting a house for a week with friends.

Interesting thread, at the present time we are trying to decide whether to do Radiance of the Seas in a Grand Suite or the one of the newest ships Princess has out right now. The Royal Princess in a Mini Suite for the summer of 2019 in Alaska.

I'm wondering how this comparison would have swung if they were the Royal Princess(5 year old) ship rather then the 14 year old Caribbean Princess?

Anyone on here been on Radiance and Royal Princess to compare for me? We are also Diamond Plus and this would be our first Princess Cruise if we decide to go with them.

Jimbo:)

Edited by Jimbo

So sorry for your loss. I can’t even imagine what that must have been like on a cruise especially. I hope you and your daughter have a blessed cruise to remember your husband and her dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting thread, at the present time we are trying to decide whether to do Radiance of the Seas in a Grand Suite or the one of the newest ships Princess has out right now. The Royal Princess in a Mini Suite for the summer of 2019 in Alaska.

I'm wondering how this comparison would have swung if they were the Royal Princess(5 year old) ship rather then the 14 year old Caribbean Princess?

Anyone on here been on Radiance and Royal Princess to compare for me? We are also Diamond Plus and this would be our first Princess Cruise if we decide to go with them.

The biggest difference would be your suite perks with Royal. I have been in the grand suite and its nice; the suite perks are nice too. Sailed Emerald Princess in a suite to Alaska last July. The suite perks were very nice with Princess. Have not been on Royal so can not comment on the Mini Suite. I did hear on other threads that the balconies on Royal were smaller than other ships.

The biggest difference would be your suite perks with Royal. I have been in the grand suite and its nice; the suite perks are nice too. Sailed Emerald Princess in a suite to Alaska last July. The suite perks were very nice with Princess. Have not been on Royal so can not comment on the Mini Suite. I did hear on other threads that the balconies on Royal were smaller than other ships.

Cabin's on both ships on the aft facing the wake, GS is a corner balcony..........MS is one of the cabins in the center....so both cabin's balconies are larger then the normal balcony.

2019 Princess itinerary has Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier, Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan while the 2019 RCCL itinerary is Hubbard Glacier, Icy Point., Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway.

June 2017 we did Hubbard Glacier, Icy Point, Juneau, Ketchikan and Icy Point on Celebrity Infinity.

So doing RCCL itinerary would pretty much be a repeat of what we did in 2017.

Also doing a land tour this time through the cruiselines..........so RCCL 13 days total ( land, cruise) days would be about 12 Grand and Princess 15 days total (tour/land) 10 Grand

Really need help picking.............

Royal is a grand suite for 13 days for $12,000 and Princess is mini suite for 15 days at $10,000. Skagway is nice port. Juneau is great as is Ketchikan; since you have been to these ports except Skagway I might want to go do that port. Last July we sailed in suite on Princess. It was excellent, they treated us great; they had a naturalist onboard the entire cruise. They brought puppies on ship in Juneau. here is what I would do; go with club class mini suite on Princess. Club class dining is worth the money

Royal is a grand suite for 13 days for $12,000 and Princess is mini suite for 15 days at $10,000. Skagway is nice port. Juneau is great as is Ketchikan; since you have been to these ports except Skagway I might want to go do that port. Last July we sailed in suite on Princess. It was excellent, they treated us great; they had a naturalist onboard the entire cruise. They brought puppies on ship in Juneau. here is what I would do; go with club class mini suite on Princess. Club class dining is worth the money

2019 Princess itinerary

Glacier Bay

Hubbard Glacier,

Skagway,

Juneau

Ketchikan

2019 RCCL itinerary

Hubbard Glacier

Icy Point.,

Juneau,

Ketchikan,

Skagway.

They both have Skagway.....Princess has Glacier Bay though

What is Club Class dining? you sure you get that with just a Mini Suite on Princess? is that the same as what you mentioned? club class mini suite ? I see now, they are mid ship and that sky walker thing looks into the balconies..that wouldn't work, my wife wants to be on the aft facing the wake. I think we have to book a D4 on Princess Royal to have the cabin on the aft facing the wake. So I guess that isn't a mini suite is it? It's a

Premium Deluxe Balcony

Edited by Jimbo

Princess and Royal are the only 2 lines I've been on and I've done 2 on each. So far I slightly prefer Royal but Princess wins for me in 3 areas. I like the drink pass that includes sodas and mocktails. Princess sells their pass for $8.05/day, Royal Caribbean sells theirs for $22/day. It's hard to drink $22 worth of sodas and mocktails in a day. Princess also wins on Pizza. The stuff on RC really isn't very good. Princess is much better. Princess also offers the grill by the pool which is great to just grab a burger at lunch without dealing with the crowds in the buffet.