Dresscode - various queries (Millennium around Asia Nov18)

Glebelands

Hello.

Can anyone help me with various dresscode queries?

I ask these in relation to an itinery around Japan, Taiwan and China in Nov 18 on Millennium.

1. I've heard of 'Chic' evenings; is this the most formal level of dresscode?

2. In practice, do men wear black tie dinner suits and women gowns at all?

3. Ahead of sailing, is the dresscode for each night shared with guests to allow for packing of the appropriate items? (I've been on cruises where they had theme nights but of course unless you have those items packed, you can't partake).

I've looked on the Celebrity website but it seems to be lacking in detail.

Thank you.

Glebelands.

“Evening Chic” is now the most formal level of dress code. Some people still get dressed more formally (old habits die hard), but it is completely unnecessary. They do not share the exact schedule but do tell you the number of “Chic” nights...I believe on a 14 night sailing, it will be three. There are no “theme nights”...

“Evening Chic” is now the most formal level of dress code. Some people still get dressed more formally (old habits die hard), but it is completely unnecessary. They do not share the exact schedule but do tell you the number of “Chic” nights...I believe on a 14 night sailing, it will be three. There are no “theme nights”...

This unfortunately is where things get a bit tricky. Celebrity's web site states there are a maximum of two chic nights no matter the length of the cruise. Some ships, not all decide to add more which is a problem for those who dress specifically for the Chic nights. Did they bring enough clothes, Celebrity policy says one thing and the ships do another expanding on the policy.

From the website:

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire.

We've also been caught unaware of " theme nights" such as white night...it would be fun to participate, but we just enjoy seeing others dress in the spirit!

White nights on X,which are not frequent, have had most passengers not dressed in white. Don’t let the color of your clothes stop you from participating.

This unfortunately is where things get a bit tricky. Celebrity's web site states there are a maximum of two chic nights no matter the length of the cruise. Some ships, not all decide to add more which is a problem for those who dress specifically for the Chic nights. Did they bring enough clothes, Celebrity policy says one thing and the ships do another expanding on the policy.

From the website:

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire.

Agree. On our upcoming March B2B Equinox cruises if the evening chic ends up being three instead of two evenings on the first leg of the B2B cruise I'm going to ask to speak with the HD. Maybe I'll get some cheese to go with my whine. :D

I wonder if there's been a count as to how many Dreco threads there have been on Cruise Critic. Just a random thought, sorry.

There are 500 threads dating back to 2015 that deal directly with dress codes or mention them. Searches on CC return a maximum of 500 results, so I guess we'll never know. I know you'll be disappointed. :halo:

After 23 Celebrity cruises, I feel comfortable saying "their dress codes" are a joke. Ever since Evening Chic has been introduced, while the majority of those on our European sailings have followed the new guidelines (along with those who still dress formal), our last two Caribbean sailings were a "wear whatever you want" no matter what the suggested dress for that evening.

I wonder if there's been a count as to how many Dreco threads there have been on Cruise Critic. Just a random thought, sorry.

Because I'm bored - the search function apparently maxes out at 500 threads. And that was just on the Celebrity forum.

Last year we did a Jan 2017 cruise on Millie in Asia. We enjoyed the cruise so much. We booked another Asia cruise on Millie for March 2018. We dined in Luminae. We never bring tux or suites, dress pants or ties when cruising. I where jeans with a shirt and sports jacket on Evening Chic nights. Jacket is a option if I want. Every cruise is different with different passengers. My advice is wear what you like to wear within the dress code.

....... My advice is wear what you like to wear within the dress code.

Oh no! How dare you say such a thing.

In one logical sentence, you just negated 500+ dress code threads arguing about what to wear. clear.png?emoji-eek-1725

Did you not enjoy all these years of silly insults?

If you dress up, you are a pretentious snob.

If you don't, you are an inconsiderate slob who is ruining the dinner for everyone else.

The next thing we know, you will probably even be claiming that it doesn't really matter whether they have 2 or 3 or 4 chic nights because you could just wear the same outfit again, and nobody would care. clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

Maitre D': Aha, so you are trying to sneak in here wearing the same thing you wore last Tuesday. Go back and change into something you have not worn here before. clear.png?emoji-smile-1684

My experience with Asian cruises is that they are quite relaxed and not a lot of tuxes, dinner suits or sparkly gowns are on display. These cruises are becoming more popular with the Chinese middle class who on the whole aren't overly fond of western style formal gear.

Nevertheless a lot of people still make an effort and if that's what you like to do then go ahead.

Oh no! How dare you say such a thing.

In one logical sentence, you just negated 500+ dress code threads arguing about what to wear. :eek:

Did you not enjoy all these years of silly insults?

If you dress up, you are a pretentious snob.

If you don't, you are an inconsiderate slob who is ruining the dinner for everyone else.

The next thing we know, you will probably even be claiming that it doesn't really matter whether they have 2 or 3 or 4 chic nights because you could just wear the same outfit again, and nobody would care. :D

Maitre D': Aha, so you are trying to sneak in here wearing the same thing you wore last Tuesday. Go back and change into something you have not worn here before. :evilsmile:

Got to love it. LOL How did you know. Yes it really doesnt matter how many Chic night there are. When we had formal nights I wore the same suit, shirt, tie, socks and shoes. Sorry but I'm never going to see 99% of the people I saw on my last cruise on my next cruise. Our May 2017 Hawaii cruise we met a couple. They ended up cruising on or Nov 2017 Caribbean cruise. I will say that I really dont remember what I wore in May or Nov. Or what anybody else wore. I'm more interested in the person than the clothing they are wearing.

Edited by bigbenboys
spelling

On the question of how many Evening Chic nights, I tripped across the following on the Australian Celebrity website. Once again, consistently inconsistent Celebrity (add CIC to the abbreviations thread!) can't even get the most simple things straight.

Evening Dress Codes

Cruise length No. of Smart Casual & Above Evenings. No. of "Evening Chic" Evenings

2 - 6 days 1 - 5 1

7 - 11 days 5 - 9 2

12 - 15 days 9 - 12 3

16+ days 12+ 4

Compare that to the version on the US site:

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Edited to say that CC won't hold the formatting. Suffice it to say that for 12-15 day cruises it says 3 EC nights compared to the 2 indicated by the US site for anything over 7 nights.

Edited by Fouremco

• 1 month later...

It is not my intent to be a "dress snob" on formal nights. However, I've always enjoyed dressing formally in the past and intend to continue to do so on the EC nights. Hope I won't be the only woman in a long gown on our upcoming Tokyo/Vancouver sailing 4/26/18.

It is not my intent to be a "dress snob" on formal nights. However, I've always enjoyed dressing formally in the past and intend to continue to do so on the EC nights. Hope I won't be the only woman in a long gown on our upcoming Tokyo/Vancouver sailing 4/26/18.

Don't worry, you won't be.

On the question of how many Evening Chic nights, I tripped across the following on the Australian Celebrity website. Once again, consistently inconsistent Celebrity (add CIC to the abbreviations thread!) can't even get the most simple things straight.

Evening Dress Codes

Cruise length No. of Smart Casual & Above Evenings. No. of "Evening Chic" Evenings

2 - 6 days 1 - 5 1

7 - 11 days 5 - 9 2

12 - 15 days 9 - 12 3

16+ days 12+ 4

Compare that to the version on the US site:

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Edited to say that CC won't hold the formatting. Suffice it to say that for 12-15 day cruises it says 3 EC nights compared to the 2 indicated by the US site for anything over 7 nights.

Thanks for posting that, it's interesting to see. FWIW unless on a B2B I've never seen more than 2 EC nights regardless of cruise length.

Hello.

Can anyone help me with various dresscode queries?

I ask these in relation to an itinery around Japan, Taiwan and China in Nov 18 on Millennium.

1. I've heard of 'Chic' evenings; is this the most formal level of dresscode?

2. In practice, do men wear black tie dinner suits and women gowns at all?

3. Ahead of sailing, is the dresscode for each night shared with guests to allow for packing of the appropriate items? (I've been on cruises where they had theme nights but of course unless you have those items packed, you can't partake).

I've looked on the Celebrity website but it seems to be lacking in detail.

Thank you.

Glebelands.

If there are a lot of Asians on that cruise, quite a few(not all) will tend to dress up quite a bit. Bring a sport/suit coat & a few nice shirts/slacks & maybe one tie. Watch what pax wear that first Chic night & then plan accordingly. Not sure of the cruise length, but on Eclipse 14 day Caribbean trips thee were always 3 Chic nights.

Just did Asian cruise. 14 nights included 3 chic night. All nights seemed the same. There were some people who really dressed up. Not many tuxedos or gowns. There were so few that seemed to make an attempt at dressing up. We dressed the same each night....pants and a shirt. I really do not care what other people wear. Just keep it clean.