Exclusive lounges = elitism?

Jchivers

I too very much enjoyed those spaces. I could never quite understand the Pinnacle tier cruisers in there with their Pinnacle badges on though. If we are talking elitism there it is. Walking around the ship with the "I've cruise a lot more on Royal than you have" insignia. Very odd.

Phil

Totally agree.

You must live down the road...:D

We much prefer Michael’s and Luminae to Coastal Kitchen. We found the service level and food quality on RC adequate but not good.

When we drink in Michael’s there is rarely any conversation about what suite we are in, if anyone is Zenith, Blue Chip....On RC it seemed really important to some guests...we found far more guests with ‘delusions of grandeur’...

Heh. We’ve been in Michael’s Club twice, invited in as guests by the concierge in the early days of its use for suite guests. On the second visit, we were asked by another passenger, quite pointedly, which suite we were in. We explained that we weren’t in a suite, we were just there as guests. This person complained all the way up to the top in Miami, and had it made very clear that guests were NOT to be invited in (at least on that cruise - I couldn’t say what current policy is.) We had the premium drinks package, so it wasn’t like we were drinking up all their booze, nor were we there all day every day. We had been invited in for two specific occasions, once to join a helipad sailaway group, and once for tea with the string quartet.

It's probably not specific to Celebrity, but I'll use them as the example: if you pay for a certain category of room you get access to restaurants or lounges that are off limits to the other passengers.

Does this rub anyone else the wrong way?

I have no problem with paying more for a room or a meal and getting a better room/meal....but getting the privilege of not having to share a space with your fellow passengers bugs me a little. Am I the only one?

We also don’t like it. The “elitism” is particularly pronounced on Celebrity. When traveling upscale,we prefer Crystal where every passenger is “elite”. Otherwise, we travel Princess where the “elitism” isn’t so obvious. The different cruise lines cater to different clientele. Select one that will give you the experience you’re looking for. Lots of people love X but it’s not for us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Heh. We’ve been in Michael’s Club twice, invited in as guests by the concierge in the early days of its use for suite guests. On the second visit, we were asked by another passenger, quite pointedly, which suite we were in. We explained that we weren’t in a suite, we were just there as guests. This person complained all the way up to the top in Miami, and had it made very clear that guests were NOT to be invited in (at least on that cruise - I couldn’t say what current policy is.) We had the premium drinks package, so it wasn’t like we were drinking up all their booze, nor were we there all day every day. We had been invited in for two specific occasions, once to join a helipad sailaway group, and once for tea with the string quartet.

That’s awful! I will concur there can be an atmosphere in there. There are lots of nice people, but there are a few with an attitude and loud voices to go with it which makes them stand out. I was meeting in there last cruise with the future cruise sales person and my friend who was booking a cruise. We couldn’t hear ourselves think because of the loud voice of a guy talking to another crew member. He was over the other side of the room, but we heard every word he said. No volume control. Some people do not have a clue!

Phil

That’s awful! I will concur there can be an atmosphere in there. There are lots of nice people, but there are a few with an attitude and loud voices to go with it which makes them stand out. I was meeting in there last cruise with the future cruise sales person and my friend who was booking a cruise. We couldn’t hear ourselves think because of the loud voice of a guy talking to another crew member. He was over the other side of the room, but we heard every word he said. No volume control. Some people do not have a clue!

Phil

That happens in many situations. Not just Michaels Club. My husband and I once commented that we couldn’t go out for dinner, without having to listen to another guest letting everyone know how wide travelled they were. We try to switch off, but it can be difficult at times!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just cannot believe some people! What harm were you doing them! I think if someone asked me that I would be tempted to say I wasn’t in a suite but I was Lisa’s mother and see what their response was! Nearest experience to that I have had was my son and I being approached in the Diamond Club on RC by an American guest who said quite clearly and loudly that we should be in there as it was for Diamonds only and as we were obviously English we could not be Diamond....we were amused rather than embarrassed but the concierge seemed genuinely upset....

Never been pointedly asked what suite I was in but I have on two different cruises been asked if I was ‘chemmo’ from CC which I thought was great fun!

I just cannot believe some people! What harm were you doing them! I think if someone asked me that I would be tempted to say I wasn’t in a suite but I was Lisa’s mother and see what their response was! Nearest experience to that I have had was my son and I being approached in the Diamond Club on RC by an American guest who said quite clearly and loudly that we should be in there as it was for Diamonds only and as we were obviously English we could not be Diamond....we were amused rather than embarrassed but the concierge seemed genuinely upset....

Never been pointedly asked what suite I was in but I have on two different cruises been asked if I was ‘chemmo’ from CC which I thought was great fun!

If I’d realised what this person was planning, I would have just lied and said I was a Zenith member, but I don’t think well under pressure. Plus, I’m rubbish at lying and never remember what I’ve said to whom. :D

Nothing wrong with an inside cabin.

No there isn't and I actually agree that the size of the one pictured does look spacious. But that particular one is not what I'd expect on a cruise ship. It really does look too much like student accomodation for me.

I too very much enjoyed those spaces. I could never quite understand the Pinnacle tier cruisers in there with their Pinnacle badges on though. If we are talking elitism there it is. Walking around the ship with the "I've cruise a lot more on Royal than you have" insignia. Very odd.

Phil

I've read the RCL board on here a fair bit now. I have noticed that quite a few are obsessed with their loyalty club status so I'm unsurprised to read that it extends to the onboard experience. I agree it is a bit odd.

That's bang out of order. I'm genuinely sorry that you were subjected to that kind of experience.

I don't think there is any policy as such, just discretion on behalf of the concierge and suite manager. There is definitely some leeway though. We've travelled suite class with friends whose parents were in a regular veranda. The MC concierge suggested his parents join us in MC to see what it was like. They were also invited on a bridge tour with suite guests. I thought it was a nice touch and generous offer from the concierge. It's also a reason why I don't think suite class is really elitist at all.

I think I'd jump in there with you and say I was Lisa's son and ask if he'd like to ever sail on Celebrity ever again? Our accents might give us away though.

As for RCL I'd have replied, "Indeed, most of us limeys prefer Silversea and Regent. However our friends have invited us so we're having to rough it!" Smiled and walked off.

I don't know. the more I read your experiences, the more annoyed I'm actually getting about this whole segregation thing and may just be flipping my prior position. I'm doing aqua this cruise but only b/c the price was right. Honestly, if I want the whole ship experience, there are some nice cruise lines out there with bargains to be had that don't participate in pay to play. My Windstar cruise was absolutely the best I've had in terms of customer care, quality, food and service -- granted it's a different playing field. My Oceania experience was not the culinary dream it was supposed to be, but again the quality of the ship and the staff and service were top notch. (full disclosure: I'm not a bells and whistles cruiser -- no real interest in "shows" or slides/ziplines or status pins o.O). Out of the mainstream I prefer Celebrity, but honestly I get in the line the says "I remember when" and my first cruise was 2001. I get that the industry is changing but in reality my thought process is: if I can afford to buy a separate space on a ship so I don't have to deal with the other 2500 passengers, I might as well just find a ship that caters to less people at a time.

I've read the RCL board on here a fair bit now. I have noticed that quite a few are obsessed with their loyalty club status so I'm unsurprised to read that it extends to the onboard experience. I agree it is a bit odd.

Actually, there was a thread a couple of years ago in this forum about the actions of "Elite" passengers on Celebrity. My favorite was the woman who informed the bartender that since she was "Elite", he would serve her drinks before attending to other passengers. IIRC, the thread was over ten pages.

I cancelled a B2B Edge for next winter. Had a long conversation recently about this very topic and was told by a Captains Club hostess that the Edge will be the most elitist ship of all Celebs ships. Areas and dining, food quality will be very different for those with suites and penthouses. It will be like taking a cruise on two different ships.Not sure it was wise on her part to give out that information.

Sounds rather attractive, IMO.

Actually, there was a thread a couple of years ago in this forum about the actions of "Elite" passengers on Celebrity. My favorite was the woman who informed the bartender that since she was "Elite", he would serve her drinks before attending to other passengers. IIRC, the thread was over ten pages.

Did that really happen though? Is anyone rude and dumb enough to try that? After all the people standing next to you could well be elite, elite + or zenith. Not that status should matter. Everyone should be treated the same.

Interesting conversation- we are just back from our first X cruise and did not find anyone interested in our status (Elite from RCCL status). Had seen some poor behavior on RCCL TA with some badge wearing Pinnacle members- but laugh it off as there are the same idiots everywhere in life.

I've never been asked what suite I'm in while in Michael's Club.

I've never been asked what suite I'm in while in Michael's Club.

You’re lucky! :) I think he had a pretty good idea that we were not in a suite, and wanted to expose us as imposters - maybe he thought we were gate-crashing. This was before Sky suites were included in Michael’s Club, and not on an S class ship, so there was a fairly small group allowed to use it.

Has anyone considered that the segregated areas are to protect the majority of guests from the attitude of “Mr Which suite are you in”.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

:D Good thought! I like this and feel bad for the suite passengers at the same time.

Did that really happen though? Is anyone rude and dumb enough to try that? After all the people standing next to you could well be elite, elite + or zenith. Not that status should matter. Everyone should be treated the same.

Difficult to know if that actually happened. However, it was only one of multiple (IIRC, over ten pages) of similar experiences in bars, dining, theater, etc. I wish I could find that thread again but it was several years ago.

Difficult to know if that actually happened. However, it was only one of multiple (IIRC, over ten pages) of similar experiences in bars, dining, theater, etc. I wish I could find that thread again but it was several years ago.

I think it's a story from the friend of a friend of the mother of the guy that works down at our local shops. It's certainly a good yarn, but even if it was true it's not indicative of the passengers in general. Some of them however do have an attitude that I've heard first hand and sometimes I just have to :rolleyes: to myself.

Phil