Exclusive lounges = elitism?

Jchivers

I've only dined at one Michelin 3-star, but it was good enough that we go there most times we go to NYC. (Just looked at Michelin online; when I've daydreamed of Per Se or Eleven Madison Park, I've not seen a price anywhere near what they're quoting. As in the Michelin guide is close to 50% low...) We have one and two star restaurants in the DC area.

I don't compare shipboard restaurants to any of them. They don't...

I walk past Eleven Madison Park every time we’re in NYC. I’ve wanted to dine there as well. Maybe someday:).

No, shipboard restaurants don’t compare. I wouldn’t expect they could. OTOH I’ve been to what seems like hundreds of rubber-chicken-of-dubious-quality luncheons at meetings and conferences, and I think X meets a much higher standard. IMO they do some dishes very well indeed.

We had a rccl grand suite last few cruises. did meet a couple pinnacle that flaunted there status, but most were extremely nice.

Can’t believe how many threads are related to classes and status, which means a bit fat zero in the real world and I would laugh my socks off if somebody introduced themselves and then told me what status they were. Sorry but my stupid humour!

Unfortunately as much as it pains dear husband, I never want to become such a regular cruiser that I could have a high status to “flaunt”. My opinion, but I like different types of holidays, each to their own obviously.

Can’t believe how many threads are related to classes and status, which means a bit fat zero in the real world and I would laugh my socks off if somebody introduced themselves and then told me what status they were. Sorry but my stupid humour!

Unfortunately as much as it pains dear husband, I never want to become such a regular cruiser that I could have a high status to “flaunt”. My opinion, but I like different types of holidays, each to their own obviously.

Just being a regular cruiser with a high enough status that they could flaunt doesn't mean that they would flaunt it. Bragging about status or cabin class shows a character flaw that makes someone feel the need to aggrandize themselves and IMHO only shows their basic insecurity . If one needs to find their importance in a rented room or number of days at sea it underlines a basic lack of self worth makes me feel sorry for them.

I could have stated that better. There are only 13 Three Star restaurants in the US. Of course there are more one and two star restaurants. Unlikely that many cruise critic posters have ever dined in a Michelin Three star. First, there is the cost. Second, these thirteen are not evenly distributed. Many are in very urban areas, ie, four in San Francisco and five in NYC. There are none in my home state of Alabama.

I don't think I've ever been to a "Star" restaurant. I have never even tried to seek them out. When I want to splurge(which isn't often) Grill 29 or Commerce Kitchen suffices! I'd really much rather have the Po Boy Factory or Taqueria El Cazador. Those are the type places I seek out when I travel.

If I ever meeet you I will have to introduce myself declaring my status. Always like to get a good laugh from someone. 🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Just being a regular cruiser with a high enough status that they could flaunt doesn't mean that they would flaunt it. Bragging about status or cabin class shows a character flaw that makes someone feel the need to aggrandize themselves and IMHO only shows their basic insecurity . If one needs to find their importance in a rented room or number of days at sea it underlines a basic lack of self worth makes me feel sorry for them.

Flaunting doesn't really happen! We are regular (frequent) cruisers and I never experienced anybody flaunting on Celebrity or RCI. Yes, I have seen people who sail on Royal wearing pins indicating their status, but that gains them access into the suite lounge. May be a requirement.

Perhaps those who dwell on this have basic insecurities and jealousy. Who cares anyway.

Flaunting doesn't really happen! We are regular (frequent) cruisers and I never experienced anybody flaunting on Celebrity or RCI. Yes, I have seen people who sail on Royal wearing pins indicating their status, but that gains them access into the suite lounge. May be a requirement.

Perhaps those who dwell on this have basic insecurities and jealousy. Who cares anyway.

They still want to see your seapass. Early on one cruise I witnessed one clod try to bluff his way into the D+ event with his ebay D+ pin. He was all bluster showing his pin, saying his wife had his seapass, and don't you know what this pin means to the poor little female staffer at the door. She signaled for an officer who told him he could not enter without his seapass and that he could get a drink at a nearby bar. I was next in line and heard the whole exchange.

I then noticed this buffoon berating MDR waiters, bar staff, and he was a chair hog too boot. I also observed staff in private discussions with glances toward him, so I surmised he was the topic of discussion.

I wondered what this idiot was thinking by berating the people who would be serving him food and drinks.:eek::eek:

They still want to see your seapass. Early on one cruise I witnessed one clod try to bluff his way into the D+ event with his ebay D+ pin. He was all bluster showing his pin, saying his wife had his seapass, and don't you know what this pin means to the poor little female staffer at the door. She signaled for an officer who told him he could not enter without his seapass and that he could get a drink at a nearby bar. I was next in line and heard the whole exchange.

I then noticed this buffoon berating MDR waiters, bar staff, and he was a chair hog too boot. I also observed staff in private discussions with glances toward him, so I surmised he was the topic of discussion.

I wondered what this idiot was thinking by berating the people who would be serving him food and drinks.:eek::eek:

Wonder if he got the secret sauce? lol

Next, someone should get all over Cruise Critic for their class system. They have the 5000, and 10,000 post club. How about longest member, or charter members.

Rollie

Excellent observation. Cruise Critic can't really do very much about anything, but here's an issue they can solve. I think Cruise Critic should remove any reference to the number of posts and the classification. This information just leads to people being bullied because they are new to Cruise Critic and people posting useless "Thank You" posts to increase their post count.

Next, someone should get all over Cruise Critic for their class system. They have the 5000, and 10,000 post club. How about longest member, or charter members.

Rollie

So true and the number of posts is deceiving, Cruise Critic was proprietary on AOL from its inception to about 2000. During that time I was all over the boards and probably had 100,000 posts. When CC went to the Internet all those posts were lost as well as thousands when Cc changed computer systems in subsequent years. I’m a charter member but never asked the mods to change my status. Also, I do not post Thank You posts unless I’ve asked something and a poster answered me.

I have been cruising for 38 years and remember a time when if you were in a suite, which you did pay more for, you really got no extra perks. Just a larger cabin. Today you see more and more suites on ships and at extreamly high prices. I really do not expect to get much if I am on a 7 night Caribbean cruise paying $799 for a inside cabin. On that same cruise you will find someone who has paid $3000 a person for a entry level suite. You better believe they should get some perks. I have no problem with that because I could have opted to get that expensive suite too if I wanted to fork out the money. The fact is that unless you have a party in your cabin nobody knows or really cares what type of room you are in. Yes they might have a special restaurant or one special lounge to be in. The fact is most people want to be out with everyone else having fun in the lounges and public areas of the ship that are there for everyone to enjoy.

Can you give some examples were an Inside on ship A might be a better experience than a Suite on ship B?

The Edge is still being built thus at this point any comparisons are premature.

Easy answer from here in the UK. I would choose an interior on any Oceania ship rather than a suite on a Thomson or Fred Olsen ship any day.

Holy moly! When someone posts a thank you, I assume they are thanking someone because they are polite. Why would anyone want to inflate their Cruise Critic post counts - do you get a prize at a certain level?

I don't see this much on Cruise Critic, but it is common on many boards. It creates a false impression of credibility, and if the board (many collector's boards of various types) has a sales forum, it produces a false sense of reliability. It's "thanks", "nice pic", "nice watch", etc., with no content, largely to run up a post count. I don't see it much here, but maybe I'm just not watching for it.

I don't see this much on Cruise Critic, but it is common on many boards. It creates a false impression of credibility, and if the board (many collector's boards of various types) has a sales forum, it produces a false sense of reliability. It's "thanks", "nice pic", "nice watch", etc., with no content, largely to run up a post count. I don't see it much here, but maybe I'm just not watching for it.

Wouldn’t CC be very boring if we all agreed with each other?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Personally, I don't care if suite pax have exclusive venues.

What I do care about is that cruise fares keep going up substantially and at the same time it seems every year there is something taken away. There are days I can't find anything I like on the MDR menu. They seem to save all the best selections for the same day!

Thank you ;)