Exclusive lounges = elitism?

Jchivers

[Full disclosure: I only read the last two pages of this thread, so if I am repeating - my apologies]

My husband and I are E+. What does that get us? More internet minutes, laundry, etc. which is great and appreciated.

We also book Suites, for no other reason that quite simply we like the extra space. Butler's nice, but not really needed.

The whole discussion of MC might have been an issue before Unlimited Beverage Packages. Now MC is obsolete. Take a look in there and you'll see it's pretty empty. As a matter of fact on our last cruise the MC Concierge was horrible and the bartender downright surly. We never used it.

As for the Elite cocktail parties? Pass. People pile in for the same hors d'oeuvres you can usually get in the Oceanview after 5 and if you have the BP you can get whatever booze you want all over the ship. Don't have a BP? Then how many drinks do you think you can chug in an hour? Seriously?

We've decided to try Viking, Windstar and Seabourn. All of those levels and tiers! Who needs 'em?

Not everyone who attends Happy hour is a lush. Seriously!!! We go and have 2 drinks and that is enough liquor for us in a day. A BP is a money grabber that I will never need.. and not all of us eat the food offerings.. which are NOT in the buffet.

How many drinks can you chug in a day with a BP?

In my experience on X, most folks don't flaunt their cabin type or Captains Club status. I've been surprised after talking with fellow passengers often to find out after a week of chatting about children, home towns, favorite restaurants, sports teams, trips taken, bucket list wishes, etc., that they were Zenith or staying in top suites, or it was their first cruise in an inside cabin. I don't care. Most don't either. We also find it interesting to get to know about crew members and their home countries, families and lives back home as well. A big part of what makes travel wonderful for us is meeting all types of people around the world and learning about them. A rented room (be it a fancy suite or a crew member's quarters) is just that. It's yours for the duration of the cruise. I gives a place to lay your head and shower, it doesn't make you into anything other that what you are, a human being.

Some people just don't want to see Celebrity as a for profit business and as such must do whatever it takes to attract and keep its highest margin passengers. Those annoying little things called "facts" would indicate that they are doing this quite nicely. Suites are selling more quickly and at substantially higher prices since they've added perks like Michael's Club access and Luminae. Unless you booked very early it is difficult to get a Royal Suite, Penthouse, Signature Suite, or Reflection Suite for most cruises. They are full and contributing to the bottom line. If the trend continues I would expect even more perks to be added to Suite amenities. The Edge already has a "private" deck. Look for more to come!

If the suites are selling out so fast, why would Celebrity feel compelled to add even more perks? I would think adding more perks would be needed only if suites were not selling well. My guess is that adding more perks will eventually lead to higher prices for the suites. Those perks are not cost free to Celebrity's bottom line. Somebody has to pay, the passengers or the stock holders.

If the suites are selling out so fast, why would Celebrity feel compelled to add even more perks? I would think adding more perks would be needed only if suites were not selling well. My guess is that adding more perks will eventually lead to higher prices for the suites. Those perks are not cost free to Celebrity's bottom line. Somebody has to pay, the passengers or the stock holders.

They add perks to Suite to justify price increases. Just compare prices before they added Michael's Club and then when they added Luminae. They make considerable more than they cost and thus add to the bottom line. The model has been quite clear for some time and is currently working as projected. I said when the changes were announced that Celebrity was taking a high risk- high reward approach and there was a chance that they would be alienating some loyal passengers. I think that time has proven my original statements to be true.

They add perks to Suite to justify price increases. Just compare prices before they added Michael's Club and then when they added Luminae. They make considerable more than they cost and thus add to the bottom line. The model has been quite clear for some time and is currently working as projected. I said when the changes were announced that Celebrity was taking a high risk- high reward approach and there was a chance that they would be alienating some loyal passengers. I think that time has proven my original statements to be true.

Agree 100%. Their formula is proving to be successful no matter how much it will pain people to see significant price increases.

It's very clear that they are not overly interested in their 'loyal' customers. And to be brutally frank, it all makes commercial sense. Younger cruisers with far less experience will be the ones sailing with you for years or decades to come after all.

Agree 100%. Their formula is proving to be successful no matter how much it will pain people to see significant price increases.

It's very clear that they are not overly interested in their 'loyal' customers. And to be brutally frank, it all makes commercial sense. Younger cruisers with far less experience will be the ones sailing with you for years or decades to come after all.

I don't know if this is really true. Some of the younger generation is not interested in "loyalty" to a line. They just want to have a good time and will sail any line on which they think they will find that good time.

The suites are selling fast because of the added perks. The perks weren't added because the suites were selling fast.

"I got everything I need right here with me. I got air in my lungs, a few blank sheets of paper. I mean, I love waking up in the morning not knowing what's gonna happen or, who I'm gonna meet, where I'm gonna wind up. Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people. I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You don't know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you... to make each day count". Jack Dawson

I agree with many of you here and find the comments really interesting.

We have come to realize that suites, aqua class are getting a very different product than the rest. So really there are now two Celebritities. With the Edge being even more class divisive it will be even more evident. When reading reviews now, I look for what class the reviewer is talking about.

Regular balcony or lower have a different standard applied in areas of dining, lounging etc.

Being aware of the difference is a huge deterrent to booking Celebrity. Yes of course some will say you get what you pay for. With Celeb increased prices , I am now turning to Oceania, Viking where for similar costs, these divisions are minimal.

"I got everything I need right here with me. I got air in my lungs, a few blank sheets of paper. I mean, I love waking up in the morning not knowing what's gonna happen or, who I'm gonna meet, where I'm gonna wind up. Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people. I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You don't know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you... to make each day count". Jack Dawson

Call us soft and wet but our first toast every cruise is ‘To making it count...’. No matter what room you are in tomorrow is always a gift to be enjoyed!

Thinking of canceling our first ever suite, for fear of being ostracized.

Said with tongue far in cheek.

Rollie

Enjoy your suite. I would! I shall toast you from my Veranda cabin with neither envy nor dislike:cool:. Cheers!

Said without tongue in cheek;)

Perfectly content with our 1A cabins - walk-in-shower as we can't manage a bath - and location, location, location. Bonus of a huge balcony.

We were top level until along came Zenith and deposited us outside Michaels:D. Don't miss having our ears bashed by the interminable one-up-manship conversations though - "mine is bigger than yours etc." hehehe!!! Always hated the Michaels room anyway (S class) - through all its different uses.

For the difference in price, we can eat every night in the different specialty restaurants and Murano in particular, is way ahead of Luminae in terms of cuisine.

Celebrity didn't do too badly though - gave us free coffee and tea in Cafe Al Baccio - very social and not so much one-up-manship!! Nice music from the Centrum also. Don't miss the Concierge - never used them anyway. Always have a drinks package although we don't drink other than an occasional Zinfandel.

As long as I get a decent amount of free internet and some dry cleaning and laundry, I am perfectly happy as an Elite+ - only thing missing really for us, is drawer space in the balcony cabins.

If anyone wants a real 'suite treat' go in the Yacht Club on MSC. Now, that's luxury cruising!

Perfectly content with our 1A cabins - walk-in-shower as we can't manage a bath - and location, location, location. Bonus of a huge balcony.

We were top level until along came Zenith and deposited us outside Michaels:D. Don't miss having our ears bashed by the interminable one-up-manship conversations though - "mine is bigger than yours etc." hehehe!!! Always hated the Michaels room anyway (S class) - through all its different uses.

For the difference in price, we can eat every night in the different specialty restaurants and Murano in particular, is way ahead of Luminae in terms of cuisine.

Celebrity didn't do too badly though - gave us free coffee and tea in Cafe Al Baccio - very social and not so much one-up-manship!! Nice music from the Centrum also. Don't miss the Concierge - never used them anyway. Always have a drinks package although we don't drink other than an occasional Zinfandel.

As long as I get a decent amount of free internet and some dry cleaning and laundry, I am perfectly happy as an Elite+ - only thing missing really for us, is drawer space in the balcony cabins.

Hmmm, I can’t recall ever having my ears bashed by the interminable “one-up-manship” conversations. It just doesn’t happen.

We’ve always been with very nice people, that enjoy a cocktail and interesting conversations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hmmm, I can’t recall ever having my ears bashed by the interminable “one-up-manship” conversations. It just doesn’t happen.

We’ve always been with very nice people, that enjoy a cocktail and interesting conversations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. Never ever had a conversation with those types. Obviously when you're in Blu everyone else is AQ, too. But just hanging around the ship no one has ever asked what cabin we were in...how would that conversation even take place? (I also don't think it could ever, if it even happened, be "what cabin" because of security reasons - why would you give out your cabin number to total strangers? But even if it was "what cabin type" I can't imagine the reason for that question).

I agree. Never ever had a conversation with those types. Obviously when you're in Blu everyone else is AQ, too. But just hanging around the ship no one has ever asked what cabin we were in...how would that conversation even take place? (I also don't think it could ever, if it even happened, be "what cabin" because of security reasons - why would you give out your cabin number to total strangers? But even if it was "what cabin type" I can't imagine the reason for that question).

Based on the rest of the paragraph, I think he or she was referring to conversations in Michael’s Club.

If anyone wants a real 'suite treat' go in the Yacht Club on MSC. Now, that's luxury cruising!

Have wondered myself about strict comparison to Luminae and Speciality Restaurants. I expect our next cruise on Celebrity will be in standard veranda.

With drink package, we did not attend any Captain's club venue other than I wanted to check out grapefruit juice in morning compared to BLU next door.

Thanks Silkroad, all kidding aside, we're very excited.

Rollie

I would be excited too. We had our only suite before the creation of Luminae and the inclusion of all the perks. We enjoyed the space, but couldn’t justify the cost for every cruise. It would be fun to try one with all the bells and whistles lol. I hope you have a wonderful introduction to the Suite Life:).

Loyalty levels seem to be more of a prestige thing on Princess and Carnival. Different color key cards signified your level and the passengers love to wear their badges of pride on a lanyard and vests or caps with all the pins and patches displaying the cruises they were on. Princess also displays your name and loyalty level on your cabin door.

You always know when a person sailed the first time on Celebrity after they were previously on Princess or Carnival because they will be checking out the cards when you are at a bar and ask what the color on your card means.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Have wondered myself about strict comparison to Luminae and Speciality Restaurants. I expect our next cruise on Celebrity will be in standard veranda.

I decided after my first Luminae experience that I'd never bother with booking a specialty restaurant unless it was just to try it for the first time (I've never had Silk Harvest, for example). If I had Luminae several times a year, I might change my mind. And, if it were a port-intensive cruise, I'd have no problem going with a non-suite room and supplementing with specialty restaurants, but I find Luminae on average to be better than the other restaurants.