Exclusive lounges = elitism?

Jchivers

I could be wrong but I believe Esciteofharpenden is referring to new designs from scratch, i.e Edge. As opposed to the RCL or even X ships which have had areas changed since their initial design.

Both of you are missing the point. There is a fixed amount of open space on the ship, removing any of that space for a relatively small number of suite guests will increase the passenger density on the remaining portion of the ship. It doesn't make a difference if it is a new designs or retrofit. The Coastal kitchen on the Allure is a great example. If RCCL chose to put the Coastal kitchen inside the ship next to other dining rooms it would have had a minor affect on the general population. Instead RCCL eliminated a major lounge on the ship in a prime location on top of the ship. No design options could create more space on top of the ship.

There is a lot that can be accomplished in design. On its existing ships, Celebrity could move the kids club to some underutilized area (like conference rooms you never see or other public rooms that are rarely used) and build a suite area there. On its new ships, no one has experienced those layouts to be able to tell with certainty how the suite design will or will not impose itself on everyone else.

My husband and I were on an MSC yacht club cruise last year and I will tell you that we LOVED all the extras, the special dining room, the private lounge and pool area, balcony reserved seating at the theater mostly because we prefer smaller ships and this gave us the privacy and relaxation we would not have had outside of the yacht club. The previous commenters are correct, you get what you pay for and it is your choice.

That being said I do want to tell you that we were a bit uncomfortable a few times...on MSC the upper front decks are ONLY for yacht club and behind locked entry, one example was when were were enjoying a cocktail and watching the party on the mid deck pool from the Yacht Club pool deck, a couple a few decks below saw where we were standing, he pointed us out to his wife and they proceeded to navigate up stairs and other deck areas to get to the stairs leading to the Yacht Club pool deck...problem was... there we were standing on one side of a locked Glass wall as the smiling couple looks at us and points to the locked door which we knew we couldn't open for them, instead had to apologize and quickly walk away... we were so uncomfortable with being in that position we didn't return to that lookout the rest of the cruise...we felt so snobby. Again, at the same time, we had paid extra because it was the largest ship we had been on and we knew that we would be happier with the added privacy and quiet spaces.

It's tough, I didn't like it when the cruise ships started added specialty restaurants for an additional charge, the minute that trend started main dining room and buffet quality immediately went down. I hesitate taking a cruise on Cunard because of the apparent class system that still exists on board. When you go on a cruise I don't think that any passenger should be made to feel like a third class passenger, as no matter the price you paid you paid to take holiday on a cruise ship, cruises that are known for pampering. As with hotels I would rather see for example people have to choice between booking a Motel 6 and they also have the option of booking a Four Seasons and everything in between, and the service and amenities should match the cruise line you chose and price you paid.

Just throwing my two cents into the pot.... Very interesting thread...

When we fly business or first class we generally get access) to private lounges (with free drinks and food) and nice plush seats on the aircraft. On some International Airlines we also will sometimes have a nice private lounge or bar area on the plane. Do we feel like snobs...knowing that most of the masses are stuck in uncomfortable seats and do not have this kind of access? No. Because we have have paid a premium for those perks. And its the same on cruise ships.

Consider its no different in many hotels. Pay for a suite and you get lots of special perks. Pay for a Rolls Royce...and its different then riding in a VW. Not sure why cruisers think the cruise world should be different. And I say this as a very frequent cruiser who generally does not book suites.

Hank

When we fly business or first class we generally get access) to private lounges (with free drinks and food) and nice plush seats on the aircraft. On some International Airlines we also will sometimes have a nice private lounge or bar area on the plane. Do we feel like snobs...knowing that most of the masses are stuck in uncomfortable seats and do not have this kind of access? No. Because we have have paid a premium for those perks. And its the same on cruise ships.

Consider its no different in many hotels. Pay for a suite and you get lots of special perks. Pay for a Rolls Royce...and its different then riding in a VW. Not sure why cruisers think the cruise world should be different. And I say this as a very frequent cruiser who generally does not book suites.

Hank

Maybe it’s the green-eyed monster. Jealousy...envy...however you might want to label it, isn’t attractive or desirable.

People should just be grateful that they can enjoy and partake in Cruise world.

I know I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Every stateroom on the ship has a throne.:):)

You’re absolutely right. A throne for which we are quite thankful. There are also many pristine public thrones available us all.:):)

BTW all kidding about thrones aside, I meant it when I said Zenith members deserve all their perks and recognition while aboard. IMO they have had amazing loyalty to Celebrity, so it’s only fair that the line should reward that loyalty.

Both of you are missing the point. There is a fixed amount of open space on the ship, removing any of that space for a relatively small number of suite guests will increase the passenger density on the remaining portion of the ship. It doesn't make a difference if it is a new designs or retrofit. The Coastal kitchen on the Allure is a great example. If RCCL chose to put the Coastal kitchen inside the ship next to other dining rooms it would have had a minor affect on the general population. Instead RCCL eliminated a major lounge on the ship in a prime location on top of the ship. No design options could create more space on top of the ship.

I don't think either of us are missing the point. I understand your point fully.

I can understand why X passengers who used to make use of MC (All 5 of them) might be frustrated that the space is now suite only. Assuming these people book non suite rooms of course.

But with a brand new class of ship, people can take all the time they want studying the deck plans and reading about what areas will be available to them BEFORE deciding to part with their hard earned cash and booking. If people don't like class division just book another line. This might sound harsh, but X have decided to go in one direction and won't be turning back because a tiny minority of people feel inadequate for some weird reason. That's not aimed at any individual by the way.

I

It’s not something I really take much notice of to be honest but I do tend to agree that paying a higher price on a cruise should be based on room category alone and we should all dine together unless you want to pay for a specialty restaurant

Thank goodness the industry doesn’t think like you do. Many cruise Lines now offer exclusive Dinning areas for Suite Guest. Examples Yacht Club on MSC and the Coastal Kitchen on Royals larger ships.

We thought adding the private Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen was a wonderful idea and a great draw for us.

I’m a director at an NYC based homeless charity; we operate 27 shelters city wide. My husband is a public school teacher. We’ve never treated ourselves to any high level of luxury. Usually stick to midrange offerings, primarily because it just never occurred to us otherwise. Our next cruise is coming soon aboard the NCL Breakaway. We’re booked into a haven suite and we intend to enjoy all the perks. I truly don’t think, by doing so, anyone would ever think of us as “elite” for splurging.

It’s not something I really take much notice of to be honest but I do tend to agree that paying a higher price on a cruise should be based on room category alone and we should all dine together unless you want to pay for a specialty restaurant

I totally disagree because you put 1000 people in a dining room it is very loud, and before they had the suite restaurant we ate in the MDR one night. Could not even hear ourselves talk, so we ate every night that in Muranos.

I’m a director at an NYC based homeless charity; we operate 27 shelters city wide. My husband is a public school teacher. We’ve never treated ourselves to any high level of luxury. Usually stick to midrange offerings, primarily because it just never occurred to us otherwise. Our next cruise is coming soon aboard the NCL Breakaway. We’re booked into a haven suite and we intend to enjoy all the perks. I truly don’t think, by doing so, anyone would ever think of us as “elite” for splurging.

r - Great, I love to hear this. While I must say, most of us would not think of you as Elitist for your choices and desires and luxe down time preferences, there will be others who will (looking through the glass)!

Enjoy yourselves and have the fun you are looking forward to and then some!

bon voyage

There is no such thing as a free lunch. All the perks, exclusive dining and lounges, included for suites are paid for by the suites guests.

I totally disagree because you put 1000 people in a dining room it is very loud, and before they had the suite restaurant we ate in the MDR one night. Could not even hear ourselves talk, so we ate every night that in Muranos.

Even that doesn’t guarantee a quiet dining experience.

Many times there are groups that take up two large tables and want everyone to know that they are there.

Also in Blu if there is a group that is traveling. together they can get very loud especially when you have that one person that thinks they are the life of the party and needs everyone in the dining to hear them constantly talk and laugh.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

After reading through these posts I was reminded of something that I recently witnessed during a 10 day cruise on the Reflection. We wandered into the theater one evening and discovered that the middle upper section was reserved for suite guests for a Beatles tribute band performance; a crew member was stationed at the top of the stairs in front of the cordoned-off area to ensure that only those who were entitled to be seated could enter.

We sat on the tall bar stools that circle the outside perimeter (our usual spot since it allows for a quick exit) and watched as some guests queried - and sometimes challenged - the staff member about the restriction, while others, who were greeted warmly after showing their sea pass, were allowed to proceed. One elderly lady was so incensed that she kept badgering the poor fellow, loudly demanding to speak to "someone who is higher up than you"...

It was an enlightening experience, and in some ways even more entertaining than the performance itself.

After reading through these posts I was reminded of something that I recently witnessed during a 10 day cruise on the Reflection. We wandered into the theater one evening and discovered that the middle upper section was reserved for suite guests for a Beatles tribute band performance; a crew member was stationed at the top of the stairs in front of the cordoned-off area to ensure that only those who were entitled to be seated could enter.

We sat on the tall bar stools that circle the outside perimeter (our usual spot since it allows for a quick exit) and watched as some guests queried - and sometimes challenged - the staff member about the restriction, while others, who were greeted warmly after showing their sea pass, were allowed to proceed. One elderly lady was so incensed that she kept badgering the poor fellow, loudly demanding to speak to "someone who is higher up than you"...

It was an enlightening experience, and in some ways even more entertaining than the performance itself.

That's a good place to find a seat if you are late. It is a reserved area for Suites and Zeniths that's open for general seating about 5 minutes before the start of the show. I've never seen it even 50% full and people usually wait around for the rope to be removed. Butlers handle the ropes.

For those people talking about the additional expenses of suites. Take a moment to think about this. The following screenshot represents a 12 night S class ship cruise. It is not past final payment date and could be booked right now. The screenshot comes from Celebrity UK's website. I'm almost tempted to book myself!

Eclipse.jpg

Those who book Aqua Class can upgrade to a Sky Suite for just £18.75 per person per night. If you book in the US you'll qualify for free grats, internet a premium drinks package and $450 OBC. Factor the value of that in against aqua class rooms and the price difference is almost nothing. Despite it only being a lowly sky suite you'll have access to MC, Luminae your butler, suite concierge and manager so they'll be no need to queue at guest relations or score excursions desks too. You'll likely be invited to other events onboard as well.

Maybe the suite life is more affordable than many think?

For those people talking about the additional expenses of suites. Take a moment to think about this. The following screenshot represents a 12 night S class ship cruise. It is not past final payment date and could be booked right now. The screenshot comes from Celebrity UK's website. I'm almost tempted to book myself!

Eclipse.jpg

Those who book Aqua Class can upgrade to a Sky Suite for just £18.75 per person per night. If you book in the US you'll qualify for free grats, internet a premium drinks package and $450 OBC. Factor the value of that in against aqua class rooms and the price difference is almost nothing. Despite it only being a lowly sky suite you'll have access to MC, Luminae your butler, suite concierge and manager so they'll be no need to queue at guest relations or score excursions desks too. You'll likely be invited to other events onboard as well.

Maybe the suite life is more affordable than many think?

Maybe occasionally but not frequently. Recently what is shown on this screen doesn't turn out to be the case once one starts to book. You can see that the prices say "from". In the case of the suites many times when you click on them there is an additional fee for perks. This price comparison is unusual as well. For example, A 12 day cruise on Reflection in June is $4999 for a Sky Suite, $2999 for Aqua Class, $2799 for Concierge and $2399 for Balcony.

Well maybe the OP would!

But I feel it’s extremely rare that those who are in Suites ever discuss their work life. Conversations usually revolve around travel, family, etc.

We travel with a group of friends. Some retired, some still working, but all of us have a huge love of cruising.

Over the years, we had booked balcony cabins, family view cabins, and probably the past 10 years Sky Suites. Not for the perks, but for additional space. Closet space, drawer space, bathroom space.

My point being, whatever your situation in life, do what makes you happy. Be with people that make you smile. Be grateful that life allows you be on the sea, in beautiful surroundings.

Life is too short to feel jealousy, or be envious.

Maybe occasionally but not frequently. Recently what is shown on this screen doesn't turn out to be the case once one starts to book. You can see that the prices say "from". In the case of the suites many times when you click on them there is an additional fee for perks. This price comparison is unusual as well. For example, A 12 day cruise on Reflection in June is $4999 for a Sky Suite, $2999 for Aqua Class, $2799 for Concierge and $2399 for Balcony.

I agree that the difference shown is not common. Though I have twice seen deals where a sky suite was cheaper than an aqua class room once you factored in all four perks. Though obviously that is only relevant if those perks are of interest to you.

That screenshot isaccurate. It includes the cruise fare, taxes and port fees and includes a classic beverage package only. Bear in mind this is Celebrity UK where they don't bundle all four perks. It does not include grats.

See...

eclipse2.jpg

I agree that the difference shown is not common. Though I have twice seen deals where a sky suite was cheaper than an aqua class room once you factored in all four perks. Though obviously that is only relevant if those perks are of interest to you.

That screenshot isaccurate. It includes the cruise fare, taxes and port fees and includes a classic beverage package only. Bear in mind this is Celebrity UK where they don't bundle all four perks. It does not include grats.

See...

eclipse2.jpg

But you have to remember many people are in inside cabins and oceanview cabins, which cost significantly less then CC, AQ, Bal and suites. So the "difference" for some people is very significant! Also, booking costs change from day to day- that is why it is important to keep checking rates.

But you have to remember many people are in inside cabins and oceanview cabins, which cost significantly less then CC, AQ, Bal and suites. So the "difference" for some people is very significant! Also, booking costs change from day to day- that is why it is important to keep checking rates.

Post 250, second paragraph, first sentence. ;)

I'd agree on the importance of checking rates regularly. Shrewd passengers will all have their own systems in place using multiple web sites to find the best value for them.

Right now sky suites can be had from $130 pppn (Basic cruise price) if booking in the US. You can find insides and OV cabins at higher prices than that. The point I'm making is that suites are not always as expensive as some people seem to think.