Exclusive lounges = elitism?

Jchivers

Difficult to know if that actually happened. However, it was only one of multiple (IIRC, over ten pages) of similar experiences in bars, dining, theater, etc. I wish I could find that thread again but it was several years ago.

The only thing I've ever witnessed onboard in regards elitism was a cringe worthy moment when a guy in Cafe El Bachio looked at a passenger next to him and noted from his seapass card that he was in concierge class. He pointed out he was in Aqua and said I kid you not, said "I'm in Aqua, I'm above you"!

I've also seen non suite pax politely removed from MC and Luminae where they managed to get in due to distracted staff, they had my sympathy because I doubt that was a pleasant experience for them, but the maitre 'd and concierge did it with tact and discretion. I expect this happens more than once on every cruise.

I think it's a story from the friend of a friend of the mother of the guy that works down at our local shops. It's certainly a good yarn, but even if it was true it's not indicative of the passengers in general. Some of them however do have an attitude that I've heard first hand and sometimes I just have to :rolleyes: to myself.

Phil

No one claimed that person's actions were representative of all elites. As you said: "Some of them however do have an attitude..."

I think if you have to say...look at me, I am in this particular suite...you definitely need to get a life! Those people must be some of the most unhappy people on the ship! I have never heard that on any of my cruises and really do not expect to at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only thing I've ever witnessed onboard in regards elitism was a cringe worthy moment when a guy in Cafe El Bachio looked at a passenger next to him and noted from his seapass card that he was in concierge class. He pointed out he was in Aqua and said I kid you not, said "I'm in Aqua, I'm above you"!

Please tell me that it actually was a really clumsy way to strike up a conversation.

But I would believe you if it wasn't. Someone at my table "always travelled midship, and happened to be the best lawyer in Surinam". Adding that I could google him.

We cruised for years before we even knew there was such a thing as Elite lounges. No one ever asked us what cabin we were in (even at CC parties).

I do not think they existed for most of my cruises since I started cruising in 70's , I believe they started approx. 10 years ago (please correct me if I am wrong) , another we like about suites is inviting people for drinks and snack that have never been in one, we were on one of the smaller suites a couple of years ago and starting talking and hanging out with another couple, they invited us for drinks and snacks in there Royal suite on RCCL which has baby grand piano

I met a woman in Michael's Club who introduced herself as "I'm Jan*, in the penthouse."

Also wrote "penthouse" next to her name on the e-mail sheet circulating for those that wished to keep in touch.

Needless to say, she was a real character.

*not her real name

It is amazing to me that people who are in an atmosphere that is better than what 99% of the people on the globe will experience that week (or ever, for most) can manage to make themselves unhappy over petty crap like this.

I'll drink to that....even without a beverage package!;p;p

You’re lucky! :) I think he had a pretty good idea that we were not in a suite, and wanted to expose us as imposters - maybe he thought we were gate-crashing. This was before Sky suites were included in Michael’s Club, and not on an S class ship, so there was a fairly small group allowed to use it.

Circling back to a different thread, maybe he'd previously tried to invite guests and was told "no?"

Don't you think that it's possible that he meant that literally? As in his cabin was simply located on the deck above the other person's cabin, and not as an indication that he believed that he was a higher-class person?

Don't you think that it's possible that he meant that literally? As in his cabin was simply located on the deck above the other person's cabin, and not as an indication that he believed that he was a higher-class person?

No. It was definitely related to class. I didn't post his follow up comment.

I met a woman in Michael's Club who introduced herself as "I'm Jan*, in the penthouse."

Also wrote "penthouse" next to her name on the e-mail sheet circulating for those that wished to keep in touch.

Needless to say, she was a real character.

*not her real name

It’s like buying a privilege...

The next stage is for her to become a Lady. Lady Jan for her services to the cruise industry.

:confused:

I cancelled a B2B Edge for next winter. Had a long conversation recently about this very topic and was told by a Captains Club hostess that the Edge will be the most elitist ship of all Celebs ships. Areas and dining, food quality will be very different for those with suites and penthouses. It will be like taking a cruise on two different ships.Not sure it was wise on her part to give out that information.
Sailing without borders....[emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Business/first class seats are more profitable for airlines, so wouldn't surprise me if the cruise lines are finding the same thing.

But X are really risking alienation of their customer base if they go too far. If I feel like the available space as a non-suite passenger is noticeably reducing I'll avoid them and go elsewhere.

[Full disclosure: I only read the last two pages of this thread, so if I am repeating - my apologies]

My husband and I are E+. What does that get us? More internet minutes, laundry, etc. which is great and appreciated.

We also book Suites, for no other reason that quite simply we like the extra space. Butler's nice, but not really needed.

The whole discussion of MC might have been an issue before Unlimited Beverage Packages. Now MC is obsolete. Take a look in there and you'll see it's pretty empty. As a matter of fact on our last cruise the MC Concierge was horrible and the bartender downright surly. We never used it.

As for the Elite cocktail parties? Pass. People pile in for the same hors d'oeuvres you can usually get in the Oceanview after 5 and if you have the BP you can get whatever booze you want all over the ship. Don't have a BP? Then how many drinks do you think you can chug in an hour? Seriously?

We've decided to try Viking, Windstar and Seabourn. All of those levels and tiers! Who needs 'em?

[Full disclosure: I only read the last two pages of this thread, so if I am repeating - my apologies]

My husband and I are E+. What does that get us? More internet minutes, laundry, etc. which is great and appreciated.

We also book Suites, for no other reason that quite simply we like the extra space. Butler's nice, but not really needed.

The whole discussion of MC might have been an issue before Unlimited Beverage Packages. Now MC is obsolete. Take a look in there and you'll see it's pretty empty. As a matter of fact on our last cruise the MC Concierge was horrible and the bartender downright surly. We never used it.

As for the Elite cocktail parties? Pass. People pile in for the same hors d'oeuvres you can usually get in the Oceanview after 5 and if you have the BP you can get whatever booze you want all over the ship. Don't have a BP? Then how many drinks do you think you can chug in an hour? Seriously?

It’s two hours and the answer is more than enough, seriously.

I think what is rubbing you the wrong way, is the very small percentage of people who attempt to flaunt what they have. That annoys everyone. From my experience the absolute majority of cruisers on -X- are there to enjoy life. I cannot comment on other cruise lines as all our cruises have been on -X-, and some of those have been in suites.

Follow your DW's advice, let it go, "don't sweat the small stuff".

I read the OP, thought about it some, then read the other posts. None seemed exactly what I wanted to say until I read this. I agree people should book whatever cabin they want, eat where they want, pay extra for what they want. And many of them have earned some sort of loyalty status, which is fine with me. If I ever sail as much as these folks, that is available to me too.

But I intensely dislike the attitude expressed by some of these Chromium (or whatever level they are) people that definitely treat others with condescension. I saw this a lot last year on my first X cruise, not so much on any of our other cruises (HAL, Princess, RCI). I don't think this means it happens more on X, just the way it worked out on that particular cruise. There have been recent threads here on CC that discuss this as part of other topics ("share your favorite/worst/funniest/etc" experience on a cruise) and some of them deal with loyalty status pax and their attitudes.

So, the attitudes of these people do bother me, but not that they get better benefits, that they pay for or have earned due to many sailings. TBH, I do get tired of reading about people asking what their status gets them on these boards (or the converse--what they don't get anymore); it sometimes feels like "nyah nyah nyah" like OP posted. But it is easy not to comment.

But really, it isn't that much different than people at any loyalty status that hog pool chairs, stick their fingers in food at the buffet, cut in front of you in a line or enter elevators before they first let others out.

We've learned to ignore rude people or those who think they are somehow special but that doesn't mean it doesn't get to me at times :D:D:D:-)

OPs wife is right--don't sweat the small stuff!

ML