Exclusive lounges = elitism?

Jchivers

Each time I sail on Celebrity, there seems to be more restrictions or cutbacks.. I miss the Celebrity cruise idea that was in place when I first started to cruise on Celebrity. Celebrity was nonelite. Every guest was able to eat in every venue. All lounges were open to all. No reserved seats, extra perks, or better service for some people. There was no concierge or aqua class. Paid to join the Captains Club $25 which didn't have many benefits. The best one was no fee for custom air. The only difference was that you paid more for a cabin in more desirable location or for a larger cabin. Nobody had better service. Everybody had excellent service. All that has changed. Next week I will embark on my 24th Celebrity cruise. Wondering what will be changed from previous experiences. I have learned to expect cutbacks. Wouldn't it be pleasant if I embarked and found improvements and more inclusions.

If the ideas are built into a proper design from the start then it shouldn’t be a problem. Allure of the Seas has a pretty sizeable lounging area reserved for those suite passengers having a gold key card. It didn’t have any impact on the "general population" when I was there. It’s designed in correctly, which is hopefully what will be seen on Edge.

Phil

I found this link on another thread. Edge will have more than twice the number of suites as Solstice class (except Reflection) ships do, so if - as you say - they’ve designed the ship well, non-suite passengers may experience no loss of usable public space.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TfbbTSqdltFOY32GX54Qdb-Kiyomi-xd/view

I found this link on another thread. Edge will have more than twice the number of suites as Solstice class (except Reflection) ships do, so if - as you say - they’ve designed the ship well, non-suite passengers may experience no loss of usable public space.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TfbbTSqdltFOY32GX54Qdb-Kiyomi-xd/view

Yes, I guess we will just have to wait and see as regards Edge. Lots of reveals to come. I'm not sure I want to try that ship particularly anyway.

Just to qualify, I haven't stayed in a suite for quite some time on Celebrity, so there isn't any bias (or indeed fear of elitism) from me.

Phil

Yes, I guess we will just have to wait and see as regards Edge. Lots of reveals to come. I'm not sure I want to try that ship particularly anyway.

Just to qualify, I haven't stayed in a suite for quite some time on Celebrity, so there isn't any bias (or indeed fear of elitism) from me.

Phil

I agree. We must wait and see. We’re booked on Edge for her first TA. We’re booked in a Concierge cabin, which has an infinite veranda, while our friends are booked in a Sky Suite and an Infinite Veranda. DH and I are intrigued by the infinite Veranda, and suite prices are too dear for us on the new ship.

We stayed in a suite once, but Luminae did not yet exist at that time. Because we enjoyed the space, I’d like to try a suite again, but the recent fare increases have made it difficult for me to justify the splurge. We’re hoping to splash out on a very special holiday to celebrate our retirement, once we finally get there lol, so we’ll see:)

Each time I sail on Celebrity, there seems to be more restrictions or cutbacks.. I miss the Celebrity cruise idea that was in place when I first started to cruise on Celebrity. Celebrity was nonelite. Every guest was able to eat in every venue. All lounges were open to all. No reserved seats, extra perks, or better service for some people. There was no concierge or aqua class. Paid to join the Captains Club $25 which didn't have many benefits. The best one was no fee for custom air. The only difference was that you paid more for a cabin in more desirable location or for a larger cabin. Nobody had better service. Everybody had excellent service. All that has changed. Next week I will embark on my 24th Celebrity cruise. Wondering what will be changed from previous experiences. I have learned to expect cutbacks. Wouldn't it be pleasant if I embarked and found improvements and more inclusions.

I think that over the last 15 years there have been cut backs made across the cruise industry that have coincided with the growing popularity of cruising and with the advent of mega ships. Sad but true. That being said, we still enjoy our cruising trips. I think that if you set sail looking for the cutbacks you will undoubtedly find them unless you are buying or chartering your own private yacht. While I know there are cutbacks, I'd prefer to set sail with the attitude of every day is its own gift and not compare it to yesterday, a day that is gone and will never come again. Memories are bathed in golden light. Todays cruise will be tomorrow's golden memory.

If the ideas are built into a proper design from the start then it shouldn’t be a problem. Allure of the Seas has a pretty sizeable lounging area reserved for those suite passengers having a gold key card. It didn’t have any impact on the "general population" when I was there. It’s designed in correctly, which is hopefully what will be seen on Edge.

Phil

Not sure that I agree. Unlike many places on the inside of a ship that are effectively equal, areas on the top of the ship are limited. Elimination of the Viking crown lounge on the Oasis and Allure for the new Coastal Kitchen suite restaurant was a huge impact on the general population. The outdoor area for suite passengers also offered a nice retreat from the hectic pool area for many in the general population. The area on the top of the ship is fixed and any restricted access will always have a negative impact on the masses.

Not sure that I agree. Unlike many places on the inside of a ship that are effectively equal, areas on the top of the ship are limited. Elimination of the Viking crown lounge on the Oasis and Allure for the new Coastal Kitchen suite restaurant was a huge impact on the general population. The outdoor area for suite passengers also offered a nice retreat from the hectic pool area for many in the general population. The area on the top of the ship is fixed and any restricted access will always have a negative impact on the masses.

The suites lounge and Coastal Kitchen are open to all willing to pay the price.

I could be wrong but I believe Esciteofharpenden is referring to new designs from scratch, i.e Edge. As opposed to the RCL or even X ships which have had areas changed since their initial design.

I agree. We must wait and see. We’re booked on Edge for her first TA. We’re booked in a Concierge cabin, which has an infinite veranda, while our friends are booked in a Sky Suite and an Infinite Veranda. DH and I are intrigued by the infinite Veranda, and suite prices are too dear for us on the new ship.

I could be wrong here but that reads to me as if your friends sky suite comes with an infinite veranda. If so, they might be disappointed as no suites have them. :)

I could be wrong here but that reads to me as if your friends sky suite comes with an infinite veranda. If so, they might be disappointed as no suites have them. :)

Whoops! I left out a comma. One couple booked a sky suite (with a regular veranda lol), while the other couple booked a Infinite Veranda:D Thanks:)

Is this a thread about elitism or envy?

Hey, I'd only be concerned if I made junior partner and didn't get a key to the executive washroom!

Probably a bit of insecurity with a portion of envy. People should be proud of what they achieved. They are cruising while so many can't afford the same.

I think that over the last 15 years there have been cut backs made across the cruise industry that have coincided with the growing popularity of cruising and with the advent of mega ships. Sad but true. That being said, we still enjoy our cruising trips. I think that if you set sail looking for the cutbacks you will undoubtedly find them unless you are buying or chartering your own private yacht. While I know there are cutbacks, I'd prefer to set sail with the attitude of every day is its own gift and not compare it to yesterday, a day that is gone and will never come again. Memories are bathed in golden light. Todays cruise will be tomorrow's golden memory.

What a wonderful perspective. Too many of us don't take the time to appreciate our privileged lives. :)

Probably a bit of insecurity with a portion of envy. People should be proud of what they achieved. They are cruising while so many can't afford the same.

Sadly, envy is a powerful force in the insecure - who are also frequently the unthinking.

Is there any real difference between being willing to pay for more space on a crowded cruise ship and being inclined to pick a superior option of anything: a better car than the cheapest, a better restaurant than the cheapest a more comfortable house/apartment than the cheapest?

Is it really elitism when they let anyone in who wishes to pay? it's not like it's based on class or your family history or whatever type of job you do. Those that wish to pay, can enter. Most times we choose not to, no skin off my nose.

I'll call it elitism when one has to submit a resume', DNA testing, and statement of net worth prior to booking.

The only thing I don’t like about the exclusives for suites is the prime deck space that you lose. Wasn’t something I noticed when I first started cruising, but they seem to be the trend for newer ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cunard are one-class ships. They offer suite perks, no class division.

Suite Perks vs Class Division on Cruise Ships.

Ahhh, yes suite poems, such as purchasing by dining venues, and the last time I was on the QE2, I could not invite friends to dine with me in the Princess Grille, or has that changed?

No worries either way, I really really enjoy X, for now and we have a nice selection of eating venues for traveling in a verandah.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

I think Zenith passengers should definitely have thrones! They deserve them. I’m finally reaching Elite in June, can imagine possibly reaching Elite Plus before I shuffle off this mortal coil, but Zenith, impossible! Sorry, suites get regular chairs.

If my knee is cranky, may I give only a token curtsy? I’d hate to topple over before approaching the chairs or thrones to offer the appropriate libations

I suspect that if we bear the right gifts, we need only appear fully clothed

Every stateroom on the ship has a throne.:):)

Every stateroom on the ship has a throne.:):)

But the top suites have 2 [one per occupant] -- and some even have 3! The extra one must be for the benefit of lower-class passengers who don't have one each -- on my next cruise I will demand to use one of those bonus toilets or accuse the occupant of being an 'elitist' :')