Exclusive lounges = elitism?

Jchivers

Not so. The people who are now eating in Luminae and Blu were formerly eating in the MDR. How did moving them to separate dining rooms decrease the space available to everyone? It didn't. It took them out of the MDR and put them in a different place. As for Michael's Club, hardly anyone ever used it when it was public space, so I don't see that as much of a loss.

As to your airplane analogy, the coach space might be the same if first class didn't exist, but the price certainly wouldn't be. It would be more expensive.

Actually the space per passenger in Luminae and Blu is greater than the space per passenger in MD. There is also a higher seat per passenger seating ratio in those venues. The space per passenger in MD is lower today then prior to the implementation of the changes.

It is still space that has been removed. Michaels used to be used as a venue for classical trio's and some other events. It was an option that no longer exits.

You miss the entire point about first class. The fact that they exist and have additional services, does not negatively impact those that sit in coach. When Celebrity carved out space for enhanced services they did impact what was available to those that did not purchase them. You may say that the impact is trivial, others may not feel the same.

On M-class ships the space for Luminae and Blu was carved from the MDR. On the S-class ships Luminae and Blu have totally different areas. Since the advent of the two restaurants, and Select dining along with the specialty dining options I find that the MDR (especially on late seating) is often very empty, allowing for better service and many empty tables.

It's probably not specific to Celebrity, but I'll use them as the example: if you pay for a certain category of room you get access to restaurants or lounges that are off limits to the other passengers.

Does this rub anyone else the wrong way?

For me, your example doesn't. That's similar to booking different ships.

Group A on the ship paid for those lounges, B didn't. Group A gets Champagne in their cabin, group B didn't pay for it so they're not getting any.

When there are divided priority lines to embark which group A can use and B can't, still no problem.

IMHO it gets different when group A flashes their Elite card and crew starts telling other people to stand back and wait for the next tender as group A members need the current one. There's always enough Champagne, but in case there's something scarce (early tenders), and by using it others can't, I feel it's bad etiquette, even when you paid for it, to legally jump the queue. That feels like true "nyah nyah". A bit similar to chairhogging.

Actually, to put it into better context, those of us who travel 1st and business class on airlines, usually have a 'private' non-public lounge to retire to until boarding. Same for Suite guests, they have a private lounge and dining rooms available to them, which do not impact the rest of us, generally, with the exception of those who believe they should have access to it all rather they paid for it or not.

Quite egalitarian to say the least...

bon voyage

Actually they do impact when it comes to Celebrity ships in the M and S classes. The MD was resized with fewer sq feet per passenger when the other dining areas were carved out. The result is a much noisier MD then prior to the changes. Michael's was removed from general public space and made private. The central area of the balcony became reserved for suites. Different people may consider the impact to be of various degree, but there certainly was an impact.

People that have started cruising since the changes have taken place, those of us that have been customers of Celebrity long before those changes were made can notice a difference.

Crew space on cruise ships is also a finite space, when more personnel is allocated to a given function, the staff available in other areas must be reduced. People quite often comment about how staffing in some areas have been reduced with a drop off in service. Interesting that this has happened during the implementation of enhanced services that have a higher staff to passenger ratio. It is a zero sum game. If you add space to something, you have to take it away somewhere else, same with personnel.

Crew space on cruise ships is also a finite space, when more personnel is allocated to a given function, the staff available in other areas must be reduced. People quite often comment about how staffing in some areas have been reduced with a drop off in service. Interesting that this has happened during the implementation of enhanced services that have a higher staff to passenger ratio. It is a zero sum game. If you add space to something, you have to take it away somewhere else, same with personnel.

It is not a zero sum game with regards to cabin size or crew. After you enter the game, by booking, those variables won't change.

No, I'm told that a simple bow or curtsey should suffice.:p

Two questions:

1. Must you dress properly when bowing or curtsying?

2. Do the suite or Zenith passengers get to sit on thrones (reserved lounge chairs) whilst accepting the obeisance?

Two questions:

2. Do the suite or Zenith passengers get to sit on thrones (reserved lounge chairs) whilst accepting the obeisance?

I think Zenith passengers should definitely have thrones! They deserve them. I’m finally reaching Elite in June, can imagine possibly reaching Elite Plus before I shuffle off this mortal coil, but Zenith, impossible! Sorry, suites get regular chairs.

If my knee is cranky, may I give only a token curtsy? I’d hate to topple over before approaching the chairs or thrones to offer the appropriate libations:')

I suspect that if we bear the right gifts, we need only appear fully clothed;p

Two questions:

1. Clothing is optional. Hmmm, let me rephrase that: the style of clothing is optional. Refer to the related Dreco thread for an in-depth discussion.

2. It's not mandatory, but I understand that most prefer to sit on a throne and will go to great lengths to keep one for themselves. See the new Throgs thread for additional details.

I believe that you get what you pay for- so if the guest is willing to pay significantly more for a suite- they deserve the perks-

Perhaps the suite guests are helping to keep the costs down for your inside, oceanview or balcony cabins. I would say that those people in suites help subsidize those in lesser accommodations.

I disagree. In my opinion those who pay for a suite deserve all the luxury and amenities their suite offers.

However, when it comes to other public spaces I draw the line. Best example is Michael’s Club. Used to be a rousing piano bar ala Perry Grant. Now it is a rarely used venue only for Zenith and suite guests.

I disagree. In my opinion those who pay for a suite deserve all the luxury and amenities their suite offers.

However, when it comes to other public spaces I draw the line. Best example is Michael’s Club. Used to be a rousing piano bar ala Perry Grant. Now it is a rarely used venue only for Zenith and suite guests.

MC underwent several transformations from Cigar Bar on the earliest M Class ships to now a private club. Perry was only on Connie and the bottom line is that he really hurt the bottom line. Fans where there for him, not to drink and drink sales were almost non existent. In fact Perry tried to encourage more orders. It is now an income producer in that it allowed Celebrity to offer it as a benefit and raise prices. They make more the fewer drinks they serve. Recently top tier Blue Chip members and high spenders have been added to MC.

After being educated by this thread, I have to say I stick by my original feeling that those who pay more should get more.

But I now understand the issue with renovations and the shrinking public areas.

I get it now.

If I had areas of the ship that I liked very much and they were renovated away, I would be upset. And then you add that the MDR became more crowded, and there was a noticeable reduction of staff in certain areas, that would make it even worse.

Isn't this all about opportunity cost? You are provided with many opportunities/choices and get to decide the ones that you want. If you want a suite badly enough, cruising only once a year may be the opportunity you want to choose. If you want to cruise more, you may give up that suite for another category. You are just prioritizing and choosing what is most important to you! Some people lease a car and others buy one. You have this life and you are in charge. Wanting what someone else has, in many circumstances, could be possible if you make the choice and do whatever is necessary...that is your opportunity cost.

Even after being retired for many years, I keep working because I hate to take money away from my savings. I never planned to cruise in a suite, but the opportunity cost was so small on the first one that I became hooked...you can't take it with you, but one never knows what the future may bring. Like my DH says...honey, you are so worth it!, at least most of the time."

Just knowing I can do something feels good inside; I do not always have to do it!

The only constant is change; life is too short not to seize the day and see the glass half full whether you can fly first class or not...you are all on the same plane...

Edited by Lastdance
You only have a finite amount of time, so go for it!

Isn't this all about opportunity cost? You are provided with many opportunities/choices and get to decide the ones that you want. If you want a suite badly enough, cruising only once a year may be the opportunity you want to choose. If you want to cruise more, you may give up that suite for another category. You are just prioritizing and choosing what is most important to you! Some people lease a car and others buy one. You have this life and you are in charge. Wanting what someone else has, in many circumstances, could be possible if you make the choice and do whatever is necessary...that is your opportunity cost.

Even after being retired for many years, I keep working because I hate to take money away from my savings. I never planned to cruise in a suite, but the opportunity cost was so small on the first one that I became hooked...you can't take it with you, but one never knows what the future may bring. Like my DH says...honey, you are so worth it!, at least most of the time."

Just knowing I can do something feels good inside; I do not always have to do it!

If you are like me you worked hard and cut some corners to put yourself in position to enjoy retirement with your partner. Now is our time to take care of ourselves. Just enjoy making memories.

After being educated by this thread, I have to say I stick by my original feeling that those who pay more should get more.

But I now understand the issue with renovations and the shrinking public areas.

I get it now.

If I had areas of the ship that I liked very much and they were renovated away, I would be upset. And then you add that the MDR became more crowded, and there was a noticeable reduction of staff in certain areas, that would make it even worse.

Again a false premise. The MDR did not get more crowded because people were removed to dine elsewhere. If you have 2K passengers in the MDR and move 500 to another space carved out of the MDR that does not make it more crowded. I have been on a number of X ships (not the Constellation) and never saw people in Michael’s except for meetings. As for people who think that they are better because they can afford more expensive stuff, the less time spent around them the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sure, all the private events, lounges, and restaurants equal elitist perks. However, this is what people pay for.

Just look at the majority of threads on this forum and how many deal with suites, Luminae, Blu, Premium drink package, certain top shelf booze, etc.

Is it right? Seems good to me.

If you are like me you worked hard and cut some corners to put yourself in position to enjoy retirement with your partner. Now is our time to take care of ourselves. Just enjoy making memories.

Bingo!! This is the definitive answer! I want every possible minute with my DH to be spent like this :cool::cool:, not this :mad::mad:, because all too soon one or both of us may be spending time like this :halo:, or possibly this :evilsmile:.

During the many times we sailed Celebrity before Michaels Club became the province of suite and Zenith guests, we went once. We never went back because we found it dark and confining. Now that it has become "exclusive" to certain guests, we find it no more appealing than we did back then. Glad others enjoy it. To each their own. That's why there's chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, coffee, butter pecan, vanilla fudge, rocky road, peach, moose tracks, graham slam, chocolate chip, mint chocolate chip........

During the many times we sailed Celebrity before Michaels Club became the province of suite and Zenith guests, we went once. We never went back because we found it dark and confining. Now that it has become "exclusive" to certain guests, we find it no more appealing than we did back then. Glad others enjoy it. To each their own. That's why there's chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, coffee, butter pecan, vanilla fudge, rocky road, peach, moose tracks, graham slam, chocolate chip, mint chocolate chip........

Mmmmmm, a scoop of mint chocolate chip and a scoop of coffee:hearteyes::evilsmile: