Exclusive lounges = elitism?

Jchivers

So I'm now wearing my devils advocate hat.

Do you think those people who are rubbed up the wrong way by this are being petty?

No, considering it is another change/adjustment from the grand old days of sailing where ship venues were open to all (excluding Cunard) to my knowledge.

No, considering it is another change/adjustment from the grand old days of sailing where ship venues were open to all (excluding Cunard) to my knowledge.

And for those sailing after the introduction of 'suite class' complete with Luminae and MC?

And for those sailing after the introduction of 'suite class' complete with Luminae and MC?

then it would be the norm. but the special venues allocated to class has only really begun in the last 10 years in mainstream cruising (post Haven to my knowledge), so there's a large population who may feel that pinch or slighted. I used to enjoy Michael's club when it was Jazz or a cigar bar (ladies night) b/c it was quiet and not mainstream. I do miss the inability to do so, but I'm not hostile about it.

then it would be the norm. but the special venues allocated to class has only really begun in the last 10 years in mainstream cruising (post Haven to my knowledge), so there's a large population who may feel that pinch or slighted. I used to enjoy Michael's club when it was Jazz or a cigar bar (ladies night) b/c it was quiet and not mainstream. I do miss the inability to do so, but I'm not hostile about it.

I am similar in my thoughts. Use to go Michael's on M class and enjoy a guy playing piano and we enjoyed a drink there. Still plenty of spots to enjoy on ship with lost of Michael's Club venue. If an amenity is offered and I have paid $$ for it, why would anyone not paying the $$ have a problem? My only issue would be if the amenity is pushed in public view. Separate, private lounges, no problem. Roped off seats for example on pool deck not being used would bother me some if I am honest. Think I would go get a beer, find some shade, enjoy the breeze and the ocean view with DW and enjoy our time together.

What is wrong about this inside cabin (one of the best insides in the industry)?

It's roughly 40% larger than the insides on the Solstice.

15.jpg

This cabin reminds me of a dormitory room. Sparse, plain and functional.

Not what I’d like while on vacation. I like my surroundings to be as nice as my home, or better.

We each have our personal standards.[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What is wrong about this inside cabin (one of the best insides in the industry)?

My grandparents had that carpet in their bathroom in the late 70s. I agree that it looks like a dorm.

15.jpg

It reminds me of student accommodation I had in Manchester in the early nineties.

The furniture, the carpet and the wallpaper are awful. Honestly I would not book a room like that if it were free. I'm not yet retired and so have limited vacation time. There's no way on earth I would spend my limited vacation time in there.

Funnily enough I saw Mein Schiff back in december as it was moored near our M class ship. It didn't look particularly appealing from the outside but I'd never have guessed things were so grim on the inside!

It reminds me of student accommodation I had in Manchester in the early nineties.

The furniture, the carpet and the wallpaper are awful. Honestly I would not book a room like that if it were free. I'm not yet retired and so have limited vacation time. There's no way on earth I would spend my limited vacation time in there.

Funnily enough I saw Mein Schiff back in december as it was moored near our M class ship. It didn't look particularly appealing from the outside but I'd never have guessed things were so grim on the inside!

My DS goes to boarding school here in the UK and this would be the height of sophistication. The picture shows an ensuite so no sharing, compared to his Spartan lodging and he is at school for about 30 weeks per year. Lucky for us he likes the independence of not seeing the olds to often to nag him. Its not all bad.They even have cleaners to clean his room.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

It boils down to the advantage in accommodation quaility on ship B vs various advantages of the ship A.

It's easier if we compare ships from different rating segments, let's say from 4.5-5* and 3.5* and below.

So a cruise in inside cabin on Mein Schiff 3 brings you more of a cruise than a suite on dwarfish SilverSea ships, or in a suite on MSC Preziosa mentioned in the article.

Another exmple - an inside cabin on the Eurodam vs a suite on Azamara or Carnival Vista.

Inside cabin on TUI MS3:

14.jpg

Looks reasonably roomy, but really spartan in the furnishings.

15.jpg

Nothing wrong with an inside cabin. We spend very little time in the cabin, just basically sleep and get dressed, serves us fine. Some like to entertain and have dinner parties and there is nothing wrong with that. Each to his own. We had a suite last cruise because it was a surprise for our anniversary but we are back to an outside cabin on the Edge. Additionally we hardly used the veranda on all cruises we have been on and only used the Butler for one breakfast in the room. Just not Butler people.

Nothing wrong with an inside cabin. We spend very little time in the cabin, just basically sleep and get dressed, serves us fine. Some like to entertain and have dinner parties and there is nothing wrong with that. Each to his own. We had a suite last cruise because it was a surprise for our anniversary but we are back to an outside cabin on the Edge. Additionally we hardly used the veranda on all cruises we have been on and only used the Butler for one breakfast in the room. Just not Butler people.

I’m fine with an inside too, but I still do research of where on the ship I prefer to have that inside cabin. Breakfast on the balcony is pretty nice from time to time too though.

Phil

I’m fine with an inside too, but I still do research of where on the ship I prefer to have that inside cabin. Breakfast on the balcony is pretty nice from time to time too though.

Phil

I know several who could afford any cabins the ship but for a variety of reasons prefer to book an Inside cabin.

I know several who could afford any cabins the ship but for a variety of reasons prefer to book an Inside cabin.

Charles, I had an inside on Connie at Christmas and I loved it. Despite what a couple of people said of the location on the roll call it was one of the quietest cabins I’ve had. Like Don I’m not much of a butler person, but from time to time it’s nice to splurge as a treat. That makes it more special when i do it. I am not one of those that feels once you’ve had a suite you can’t go back. I have and survived and for me it’s all been good. Just get me on the ship and I’m happy!

Phil

I cancelled a B2B Edge for next winter. Had a long conversation recently about this very topic and was told by a Captains Club hostess that the Edge will be the most elitist ship of all Celebs ships. Areas and dining, food quality will be very different for those with suites and penthouses. It will be like taking a cruise on two different ships.Not sure it was wise on her part to give out that information.

We thought adding the private Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen was a wonderful idea and a great draw for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree, this was a great add for the couple hundred suite passengers. The other 5800 passengers lost a great space. If they put Costal Kitchen on deck 3 or 4 next to other dining rooms that would have been great. Jungle the interior space to minimize the impact on the bulk of the passengers. Eliminating the Viking Crown Lounge eliminated a large venue in a prime location on the top of the ship. Unfortunately Edge is going down the same route and eventually this approach will affect the rest of the Celebrity ships. Say Goodbye to some of the outdoor space.

So it's clear that Royal and Celebrity are catering to suites. If you feel that they are taking away too much from the rest of the ship -- or if you just feel that it's wrong to have any reserved areas on a cruise ship -- perhaps CCL will work better for you. Princess has recently roped off part of an MDR for suites passengers, but that's a pale version of what Celebrity is doing. HAL, as far as I know, still makes everyone dine in the same MDR [there is a top-suites-only Neptune Lounge, but it is very discreetly hidden in the middle of the suites deck].

So it's clear that Royal and Celebrity are catering to suites. If you feel that they are taking away too much from the rest of the ship -- or if you just feel that it's wrong to have any reserved areas on a cruise ship -- perhaps CCL will work better for you. Princess has recently roped off part of an MDR for suites passengers, but that's a pale version of what Celebrity is doing. HAL, as far as I know, still makes everyone dine in the same MDR [there is a top-suites-only Neptune Lounge, but it is very discreetly hidden in the middle of the suites deck].

That is why I will be spending 19 days on Celebrity and RCL lines, and 64 days on Princess and HAL in 2018. Prior to the Celebrities move to adding features for suites and higher room classes (and raising prices more than the features), while decreasing the benefit to value for the remaining cabins Celebrity was my main line. They chose how they want to market, I chose where my travel dollars go.

If Celeb did not introduce AQ class and BLU, we would have moved on a long time ago...MDR, esp on S class, is just too busy, noisy and too large for our taste.

Suites are a bit over our budget and Luminae menu not our style ...BLU with some shortcomings suits us...hope it continues in EDGE.

That is why I will be spending 19 days on Celebrity and RCL lines, and 64 days on Princess and HAL in 2018. Prior to the Celebrities move to adding features for suites and higher room classes (and raising prices more than the features), while decreasing the benefit to value for the remaining cabins Celebrity was my main line. They chose how they want to market, I chose where my travel dollars go.

That is absolutely the right choice to make, if you enjoy Princess and HAL. We did our third Princess cruise this past fall [Grand Princess Quebec to NY]: the MDR food was not acceptable and the entertainment required too much commitment [you had to get there 1/2 hour early if you wanted to find any seats left for the more popular shows]. Haven't tried HAL, but I wouldn't pay their suite prices to dine in the MDR. But that is my choice based on my wishes. I'm glad you have found several choices that suit you. As Keith1010 says [on Crystal forum and others]: Choice is good!

Just my opinion, but Michael's and Luminae are greatly better than RCL's suite lounge and CK (on Anthem).

We much prefer Michael’s and Luminae to Coastal Kitchen. We found the service level and food quality on RC adequate but not good.

We also found it odd that within the suite area there were levels of service....JS could dine in CK but needed to book in and could not sit in the lounge area, most suite guests could drink free of charge in the lounge area but with limitations on the drinks menu, then there were the Genie level who had access to higher cost drinks....Then there were the pinnacles wearing their badges....When we drink in Michael’s there is rarely any conversation about what suite we are in, if anyone is Zenith, Blue Chip....On RC it seemed really important to some guests...we found far more guests with ‘delusions of grandeur’.

We didn’t use the outdoor suite area last cruise on Allure at all. Too far from a pool, up stairs and breezy! So despite having suite only outside seating we were utilising chairs in the Solarium....Dependent on how well Celebrity design the outdoor areas for suite class on M and S class ships will determine how well they are used. If there are just better loungers and pool butlers but no jacuzzi or pool many suite guests will still be competing for poolside loungers....

We thought adding the private Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen was a wonderful idea and a great draw for us.

I too very much enjoyed those spaces. I could never quite understand the Pinnacle tier cruisers in there with their Pinnacle badges on though. If we are talking elitism there it is. Walking around the ship with the "I've cruise a lot more on Royal than you have" insignia. Very odd.

Phil