Exclusive lounges = elitism?

Jchivers

As I said anyone can dine in Luminae if your invited by a suite guest. Our friends were invited by a suite quest and they were in Aqua. Our cruise in Oct we plan on inviting our friends to dine with us one evening in Luminea or a lunch on a sea day. They are in Aqua.

However, it’s my understanding there is a fee for non-suite guests to dine in Luminae (perhaps $25pp).

However, it’s my understanding there is a fee for non-suite guests to dine in Luminae (perhaps $25pp).

Best I know, the current fee for non-suite guests to have dinner in Luminae--at the invitation of a suite guest and subject to space availability--is $30 per non-suite guest... The fee is charged to the onboard account of the suite guest host...

I do not recall the current fee associated with non-suite guests having lunch in Luminae at the invitation of a suite guest host...

Edited by Xport

The Captains Club evening event from 5 to 7 pm is normally held in the Sky Observation Lounge on the S-class ships and in the Reflection Lounge on the M-class ships. Seems like the last 2 or so years they have only been blocking off part of the lounges for the Elite Event.

Couple of cruises ago, forget which ship on X, they blocked off all the prime chairs along the windows FOR NON ELITE GUESTS. Elite members were relegated to the seats near the band stand. If you bought a drink instead of the freebie you could sit in a comfy chair near the front windows. Of course with a beverage package what do you think we did?

Best I know, the current fee for non-suite guests to have dinner in Luminae--at the invitation of a suite guest and subject to space availability--is $30 per non-suite guest... The fee is charged to the onboard account of the suite guest host...

I do not recall the current fee associated with non-suite guests having lunch in Luminae at the invitation of a suite guest host...

That's a good thing--charging the suite guest host. I was taught the person doing the inviting paid the bill.

That's a good thing--charging the suite guest host. I was taught the person doing the inviting paid the bill.
As I have always practiced, including paying the gratuity.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Here are the prices as of Feb 2017 for non suite guests invited by a suite guest dining in Luminae. It's $30 for dinner, $20 for lunch and $10 for breakfast.

Compared to Celebrity's prices for the specialty restaurants, this is a real bargain!

I expected to be in the minority (my wife thinks I'm crazy :) ) I was just curious by how much. Like I said, I have no problem with getting a better room or better service or a better airline seat by paying more. The part that bothers me is the "nyah nyah...you can't come in" feature.

As with other things in life, you get what you pay for. You cannot expect 5star if you only paid for 3 star. I don’t have a problem with it and when I have the funds I pay for 5 star for special occasions

The "elitism" problem is real for many. On RCI ships have seen "Pinnacle" members faulty their status before others, wearing their pins and telling others they have prejudges others don't. Folks, these "tiers" are simply marketing tools, nothing more. Claiming your are "better" than others for making more cruises is hubris.

And you can probably buy those pins on ebay. I bought a replacement D+ pin there, although I'm not really sure why. I never wear it.

I'll probably never cruise long enough to get a "pinochle" pin. There is more to life than that.

Edited by SargassoPirate

As with other things in life, you get what you pay for. You cannot expect 5star if you only paid for 3 star. I don’t have a problem with it and when I have the funds I pay for 5 star for special occasions

I really agree with you that Celebrity now is a two tiered cruiseline...a 5 Star and a 3 Star....

It needs to be pointed out more often that unless you are paying for 5 Star, dont expect 5 star. That is the new reality.

Celeb advertises the "modern luxury" as a 5 star experience. It needs to be qualified. It is definitely NO longer that for all.

I hadn't received any email notifications that there had been any updates to this thread in about 2 weeks, so I though the discussion had died out and haven't been back since then.

Yow. You guys have been busy! Carry on. :)

Michelin only awards one, two, and three stars. There are only thirteen in the US. Forbes does award up to five stars but there are, if I counted correctly, only 41 in the US. Unless, you leave in very large metro areas (NYC, San Francisco, etc), it is unlikely you've encountered one.

The only costs I could find for an 'average' three star Michelin restaurant were in Pounds, 175-250 PP. At current exchange rates, that would equate to $240 to $345 PP.

All in all, I doubt many posters on this website have dined at a true three star Michelin restaurant. I certainly wouldn't be there.

I don't think it's childish to talk about changes in an industry, especially a vacation industry. Isn't this where we go to be treated just a little bit special outside of the daily grind? or at least fantasize about being special --whatever that means for us?

When we first cruised we were very happy with everything around us. We enjoyed the amenities, the service, the tiny cabin, the sea. As time went on we looked for a little more than what we had become accustomed to. 'Special' keeps changing. At some point, even booking the lovely suites will seem to feel less 'special'. Changing cruise lines may relieve that feeling of 'lacking something', but only temporarily. The attendants do their part to help us feel 'special'; we do our part as well by not setting up unrealistic expectations. The industry and its offerings will change according to the market. Despite this, we enjoy all of our days at sea, with whatever accommodation or dining we have chosen (and paid for). :D

Yes it is a great bargain and Luminae is better than most higher priced specialty restaurants on board!

I'd agree. My favourite restaurant would be Murano, but Luminae is very good. To be fair to the other restaurants the staff have more time to get to know you and learn your preferences which improves service. But I'd rather dine there than Tuscan, Sushi on 5 or Qsine.

After a less than impressive experience in Summit's Aqua Class last time, I've just cancelled an Asian cruise on Millennium later this year and rebooked an S class suite instead.

Luminae vs Blu (Which in my opinion has deteriorated significantly) was a significant factor in that decision.

Michelin only awards one, two, and three stars. There are only thirteen in the US. Forbes does award up to five stars but there are, if I counted correctly, only 41 in the US. Unless, you leave in very large metro areas (NYC, San Francisco, etc), it is unlikely you've encountered one.

The only costs I could find for an 'average' three star Michelin restaurant were in Pounds, 175-250 PP. At current exchange rates, that would equate to $240 to $345 PP.

All in all, I doubt many posters on this website have dined at a true three star Michelin restaurant. I certainly wouldn't be there.

I'd have thought the US would have had a few more than that. Here in the UK we have 174. That breaks down into 5 three star, 20 two stars and 148 one star restaurants. I've yet to have the pleasure of a two or three star restaurant but have dined in a few one stars. Nothing Celebrity offers is as good on any level. But then again that's not a surprise. Land restaurants have many advantages over those at sea after all.

Not sure if I've read your post wrong, but if you're saying there are only 13 restaurants in the US with a Michelin star then this is incorrect. There are 13 3 star restaurants in the US. 143 Michelin starred restaurants in total. The UK has 163 in total, which when you compare the size of the countries is phenomenal. Well done Blighty! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Michelin has always had a bias towards European locations and French dining standards. It has only been issuing a US guide for a little over a decade. Their resources are spread really thin, too, so, while getting a star rating is great, it's not the be-all, end-all. At the end of the day, what matters most is if you enjoy the food you ate.

Michelin has always had a bias towards European locations and French dining standards. It has only been issuing a US guide for a little over a decade. Their resources are spread really thin, too, so, while getting a star rating is great, it's not the be-all, end-all. At the end of the day, what matters most is if you enjoy the food you ate.

Couldn't agree more. [emoji4]

I'd have thought the US would have had a few more than that. Here in the UK we have 174. That breaks down into 5 three star, 20 two stars and 148 one star restaurants. I've yet to have the pleasure of a two or three star restaurant but have dined in a few one stars. Nothing Celebrity offers is as good on any level. But then again that's not a surprise. Land restaurants have many advantages over those at sea after all.

Not sure if I've read your post wrong, but if you're saying there are only 13 restaurants in the US with a Michelin star then this is incorrect. There are 13 3 star restaurants in the US. 143 Michelin starred restaurants in total. The UK has 163 in total, which when you compare the size of the countries is phenomenal. Well done Blighty! [emoji23]

I could have stated that better. There are only 13 Three Star restaurants in the US. Of course there are more one and two star restaurants. Unlikely that many cruise critic posters have ever dined in a Michelin Three star. First, there is the cost. Second, these thirteen are not evenly distributed. Many are in very urban areas, ie, four in San Francisco and five in NYC. There are none in my home state of Alabama.

Edited by RocketMan275

I could have stated that better. There are only 13 Three Star restaurants in the US. Of course there are more one and two star restaurants. Unlikely that many cruise critic posters have ever dined in one.

Hmmm. Surely those of us who grew up in NYC, San Francisco or Chicago may have dined in one or two. (Oops just saw your last post.) I’ve dined in at least two that are on the list, but I’m not certain they had three stars at the time.

Perhaps but not many. I've never dined in a one star and doubt I ever will.

I may be looking at an inaccurate list as well. I’ve not paid much attention to stars and ratings, but instead listened to the word on the street about that great little place that just opened on “blank” street. Having never had an unlimited budget for discretionary spending, I’ve only splashed out on very expensive hotels, wines, resorts and restaurants on occasion. I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area, and was fortunate enough to try many new restaurants before they became great successes (and raised prices lol). Of one thing I’m certain, I haven’t been in a Michelin three-star restaurant in 15 years, though I’ve walked by a few in NYC and London;). (Yep. Definitely dined at The French Laundry long before they received Michelin stars, so I can’t count that one lol.)

Edited by Silkroad
Correction

Hmmm. Surely those of us who grew up in NYC, San Francisco or Chicago may have dined in one or two. (Oops just saw your last post.) I’ve dined in at least two that are on the list, but I’m not certain they had three stars at the time.

I've only dined at one Michelin 3-star, but it was good enough that we go there most times we go to NYC. (Just looked at Michelin online; when I've daydreamed of Per Se or Eleven Madison Park, I've not seen a price anywhere near what they're quoting. As in the Michelin guide is close to 50% low...) We have one and two star restaurants in the DC area.

I don't compare shipboard restaurants to any of them. They don't...