Exclusive lounges = elitism?

Jchivers

On each of our b2b's last month, someone did ask me if I were in Aqua Class.

Even though I know about the different classes on Celebrity, my vacationing brain only processed Aqua Fitness Class.

Both times! I said I didn't know they had them on Celebrity!!!

I can't remember who the first person was, but we often spoke to the second. She is actually into fitness and health and was very happy with Blu.

Hmmm, I can’t recall ever having my ears bashed by the interminable “one-up-manship” conversations. It just doesn’t happen.

We’ve always been with very nice people, that enjoy a cocktail and interesting conversations.

The only cruise where this happened to us was on Oceania -- good luck to the earlier poster who is leaving 'elitist' Celebrity for them!

Hmmm, I can’t recall ever having my ears bashed by the interminable “one-up-manship” conversations. It just doesn’t happen.

We’ve always been with very nice people, that enjoy a cocktail and interesting conversations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For many years I served as a Director of an Elderhostel program. The "students " in that program were really professional one-up-manship players. Got so bad at times that I told them that any discussion of grandchildren or Colleges attended would be out of bounds. Have heard some people brag to others about their number of cruises. One woman actually introduced herself by saying that she was the Top Cruiser on the cruise. She wasn't!

There are all kinds of people on every line but Celebity is in the lead for segregating areas of the ship.

The cruise line that was the leader was NCL. Celebrity has actually followed NCL in making such changes.

Of course the cruise line that has been doing such for a long time is Cunard, but that is there tradition, not recent changes (recent as in the last 5 -10 years).

Perfectly content with our 1A cabins - walk-in-shower as we can't manage a bath - and location, location, location. Bonus of a huge balcony.

We were top level until along came Zenith and deposited us outside Michaels:D. Don't miss having our ears bashed by the interminable one-up-manship conversations though - "mine is bigger than yours etc." hehehe!!! Always hated the Michaels room anyway (S class) - through all its different uses.

For the difference in price, we can eat every night in the different specialty restaurants and Murano in particular, is way ahead of Luminae in terms of cuisine.

Celebrity didn't do too badly though - gave us free coffee and tea in Cafe Al Baccio - very social and not so much one-up-manship!! Nice music from the Centrum also. Don't miss the Concierge - never used them anyway. Always have a drinks package although we don't drink other than an occasional Zinfandel.

As long as I get a decent amount of free internet and some dry cleaning and laundry, I am perfectly happy as an Elite+ - only thing missing really for us, is drawer space in the balcony cabins.

If anyone wants a real 'suite treat' go in the Yacht Club on MSC. Now, that's luxury cruising!

Have you eaten in Luminae? It is far above most specialty restaurants. We had unlimited specialty restaurants on our last cruise and both my husband and daughter thought the food in Luminae was better.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree. Never ever had a conversation with those types. Obviously when you're in Blu everyone else is AQ, too. But just hanging around the ship no one has ever asked what cabin we were in...how would that conversation even take place? (I also don't think it could ever, if it even happened, be "what cabin" because of security reasons - why would you give out your cabin number to total strangers? But even if it was "what cabin type" I can't imagine the reason for that question).

I’ve been asked what type cabin we were in several times. In each case they were thinking about upgrading to a higher level cabin on future cruises and wanted to talk to people who have stayed in such. They had specific questions and it’s easier doining a Q&A rather than searching constantly on the internet.

On my last cruise, we were on the second part of a back to back a lady who was a bit loud kept pushing herself on us! For example we were invited to dine with the officers and she was put out because her & hubby were in a suite and had not been asked. The best bit was one night in Captains lounge she says who would want to be on deck 2 or 3 those rooms have no windows and might even be under the water level! Wow we were in OV and have done inside balconies and above. Enjoy our cruise no matter where we sleep. Dianne

There are all kinds of people on every line but Celebrity is in the lead for segregating areas of the ship.

The only areas that I know of on Celebrity are Blu and Michael's Club. Any non-suite person can join a suite guest for a fee. Sky Lounge is normally only partly closed during elite events. If your talking the elite breakfast in Tuscan Grill. I've never heard of Tuscan Grill being open to all any morning.

The only areas that I know of on Celebrity are Blu and Michael's Club. Any non-suite person can join a suite guest for a fee. Sky Lounge is normally only partly closed during elite events. If your talking the elite breakfast in Tuscan Grill. I've never heard of Tuscan Grill being open to all any morning.

How about dining in Luminae?

What I am really after is that reviews should now be done based on what kind of level of cruising one is doing. Experiences of those in suites, aguaclass, penthouses are vastly different from all others.

Dont expect to read a review of someone sailing in a suite and think you will have the same experience in a regular balcony or lower.

Maybe that should be a topic all to itself.

On my last cruise, we were on the second part of a back to back a lady who was a bit loud kept pushing herself on us! For example we were invited to dine with the officers and she was put out because her & hubby were in a suite and had not been asked. The best bit was one night in Captains lounge she says who would want to be on deck 2 or 3 those rooms have no windows and might even be under the water level! Wow we were in OV and have done inside balconies and above. Enjoy our cruise no matter where we sleep. Dianne

Where is the Captains Lounge, have never been there.

The cruise line that was the leader was NCL. Celebrity has actually followed NCL in making such changes.

NCL's Haven is completely separate. It has a restaurant, bar, pool and lounge area completely separate and inaccessible to anyone cruising on the rest of the ship. "Hidden away at the top of the ship is The Haven .... our most luxurious, well-appointed and spacious accommodations. Not only will you have access to all the ship has to offer, you'll enjoy the personal service of a concierge and 24-hour butler throughout your entire stay. On top of that, complete privacy and tranquility are just steps away on a sundeck reserved exclusively for guests of The Haven. .......... In your own ship within a ship......

I believe MSC has now joined in with their Yacht Club cabins on Seaside which essentially offer butler service, free drinks, priority access, separate restaurant and various other "experiences" based on the category booked.

There may be some merit in basing reviews on what category you booked in the future on certain lines.

I can't believe I just wasted a few minutes reading this thread. How is cruising different from any other part of living in the modern world. You pay more you get more. Anyone that makes it past primary school should understand this concept. It's ok to be a bit envious, but it's childish to want/believe we should all get the same thing. That's been tried, it didn't work out all that well for the people that lived in those countries. I can't afford a penthouse suite but I certainly don't get upset about the guys that can and their tiny private area of the ship.

Worry about the important stuff, like chair hogs;p

I can't believe I just wasted a few minutes reading this thread. How is cruising different from any other part of living in the modern world. You pay more you get more. Anyone that makes it past primary school should understand this concept. It's ok to be a bit envious, but it's childish to want/believe we should all get the same thing. That's been tried, it didn't work out all that well for the people that lived in those countries. I can't afford a penthouse suite but I certainly don't get upset about the guys that can and their tiny private area of the ship.

Worry about the important stuff, like chair hogs;p

But based on an apparent trend of expansion, it's not a tiny area of the ship. There are now multiple bar/restaurant areas and even pools that are taking real estate away from us proles. If that continues, there'll be a real problem.

But based on an apparent trend of expansion, it's not a tiny area of the ship. There are now multiple bar/restaurant areas and even pools that are taking real estate away from us proles. If that continues, there'll be a real problem.

How much of the ship do you need? Dunno about you but I rarely if ever venture into 1/2 of the public areas on today's behemoths. Celebrity has one small lounge and two tiny dining rooms for upper class passengers. Who knows what the Edge will have but I doubt those of us in steerage will be inconvenienced by whatever they set aside for the high rollers.

I don't think it's childish to talk about changes in an industry, especially a vacation industry. Isn't this where we go to be treated just a little bit special outside of the daily grind? or at least fantasize about being special --whatever that means for us?

The "elitism" problem is real for many. On RCI ships have seen "Pinnacle" members faulty their status before others, wearing their pins and telling others they have prejudges others don't. Folks, these "tiers" are simply marketing tools, nothing more. Claiming your are "better" than others for making more cruises is hubris.

The "elitism" problem is real for many. On RCI ships have seen "Pinnacle" members faulty their status before others, wearing their pins and telling others they have prejudges others don't. Folks, these "tiers" are simply marketing tools, nothing more. Claiming your are "better" than others for making more cruises is hubris.

I've cruised in suites quite a few years on RCL which gives me access to the CL and SL (suite lounge). I've never met a pinnacle that demonstrated any "elitism." But there are quite a few who begin each sentence with "I'm diamond or I'm diamond plus."

Our first Royal Caribbean cruise in 25 years was last autumn on Quantum of the Seas out of Shanghai. We had diamond status based on our Celebrity cruises. The passengers were 90% Chinese, mostly first timers. Because of this, there was no Diamond Lounge, so we were given access to the Suite Lounge and the Solarium. I don’t know if the Solarium is usually suites only, but it was on this cruise. Incidentally, no one asked what cabin we were in. Our blue cards opened the doors so we were accepted.

Being in an inside cabin we enjoyed the extra benefits of this access, especially on such a large crowded ship, but when we take our next Celebrity cruise we will not envy those in Michael's Club or the exclusive restaurants. For the money they pay, we could take several cruises and for us that is preferable.

Sheila

I've always figured that people who feel the need to flaunt their status for one thing or another must suffer from some major insecurities in their lives and I often pity them.

Another point, while the increasing upsell and marketing on-board as well as more and more features costing extra - such as specialty dining and drink packages - I enjoy thinking that those folks who want to pony up for the "elite" experience are probably subsidizing my cruise fare. The market trend seems to be to get you on board and then shake you down for more money.

When I'm not cruising, I sometimes take long Harley rides of anywhere from 2,000 to over 11,000 miles on one trip three years ago. I sleep in cheaper motels, in my tent in campgrounds when I can, and when I'm camping I often warm up a military MRE on the Harley's engine for dinner while I set up camp.

A simple balcony, meals in the MDR, and some complimentary drinks in the Captains Club evening event is a luxury trip for me.

I've cruised in suites quite a few years on RCL which gives me access to the CL and SL (suite lounge). I've never met a pinnacle that demonstrated any "elitism." But there are quite a few who begin each sentence with "I'm diamond or I'm diamond plus."

We had a rccl grand suite last few cruises. did meet a couple pinnacle that flaunted there status, but most were extremely nice.

How about dining in Luminae?

What I am really after is that reviews should now be done based on what kind of level of cruising one is doing. Experiences of those in suites, aguaclass, penthouses are vastly different from all others.

Dont expect to read a review of someone sailing in a suite and think you will have the same experience in a regular balcony or lower.

Maybe that should be a topic all to itself.

As I said anyone can dine in Luminae if your invited by a suite guest. Our friends were invited by a suite quest and they were in Aqua. Our cruise in Oct we plan on inviting our friends to dine with us one evening in Luminea or a lunch on a sea day. They are in Aqua.

Sorry, I mean the lounge for Captains club Elite and above! It's usually in the sky lounge. Dianne

The Captains Club evening event from 5 to 7 pm is normally held in the Sky Observation Lounge on the S-class ships and in the Reflection Lounge on the M-class ships. Seems like the last 2 or so years they have only been blocking off part of the lounges for the Elite Event.