Haven = Bleh

BNBR

If you want adult only, low to no noise, I would not expect that in a general area even in the Haven. They have multiple bedroom suites there for a reason.

Want that peace and quite. Book the Thermal spa.

Sauna, heated lounge chairs, hot tub, etc etc etc.

Best part.

NO KIDS allowed.

If some family was in Haven and children running amuck and being loud I would have no issues bringing attention to the staff who will deal with it.

Kids can be kids but kids don't need to be allowed to run amuck and yelling etc either.

My thermal spa experience was far from what you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have two young cruising daughters and I would, and can, respect that those in the Haven area would not want kids around. Unfortunately this has been a complaint for a long time and no surprise. It's no different than wanting no kids in the thermal spa area. I know the boundaries for my kids onboard with respect to my fellow passengers, others do not. It kind of blows my mind that parents with little, and possibly misbehaving, would book the Haven. I certainly would have no interest in paying an ultra premium price to sail the Haven to be stuck with screaming kids in an enclosed small space. The Haven doesn't interest me in the least ......

Everyone is obviously entitled to their opinions, that is what makes the forum a good place to come to, BUT.. it just cracks me up when one person posts a negative thread and people actually say "OH MAN, thanks for the heads up..no way I'm going to try the Haven now". LOL...it's one opinion!

Personally, it's not for me. I don't need a Concierge or a Butler, I would find them intrusive, but I've read how so many people love it and I think that's great. To each their own. NCL has so much diversity to offer for all their guests.

Why? If they can behave properly, what’s the problem?

I'm not in the medical field, but I think that it is for health reasons - they have so much more surface area and so much less body mass that I think it is easier for them to overheat in a shorter time than an adult body would. Remember, even adults are not supposed to stay in a hot tub for very extended periods of time.

Based on advertising, the Haven is filled with thin, attractive adults who move in slow motion.;)

In reality, the Haven is marketed to familes. The behavior of guests is more important than the age of guests.

A family of "adults" ruined an entire Carnival cruise by fighting with guests and crew (kicking/punching).

It's simply luck with a bit of planning that makes the difference. Nobody is guaranteed what type of behavior fellow guests will put forth.

They so need an adult only Haven. People are paying too much to not be able to enjoy it. We stayed in the Haven last cruise and didn't go to the lounge one time. I just don't have the patience to be around a bunch of screaming kids and parents thinking that it's ok for their kids to act like that. We're staying in the Haven again on the Bliss and I'm keeping my fingers cross that it won't be crawling with a lot of kids.I really want to enjoy it.

I am surprised by all of these comments. There are suites which attract families and therefore children. Families are also paying a lot of money and they would like to be able to enjoy the haven with their children as well. There is likely an adult only area on the ship that would be the spot to go for those people who do not want to listen to children. Children have just as much right as anyone else to enjoy the haven courtyard, they are paying customers as are their parents whom have paid a pretty penny to include their children in the cost of the haven.My two cents worth. The vibe looks like the place for those who don't want children around.

Now that being said I expect my children to be respectful to those around them just as I expect adults to be respectful.

Sorry the Haven is not what you expected. On our Haven trips, I don't recall any misbehaving kids. Actually, the opposite. In the Haven restaurant the kids were very well behaved and mannered. I take that back, I remember one brat throwing fruit at breakfast, and the parents and grandparents almost encouraged it. But that was the only one. But we are also not pool people, and have never hung out in the courtyard. We lived in Posh, and will buy Vibe passes our next cruise. I really feel like the Haven should include Vibe like it does Posh. In addition, we buy spa passes, and spent a lot of time enjoying the entire ship. I definitely feel the Haven is marketed to families with so many 2 bedroom family suites. We go to the Haven mainly for the level of service, concierge, restaurant, etc not the courtyard. But from your pictures I feel like any kid with floaties on should not be in the hot tub. To me, that means a higher likelihood of other things floating in the water, which grosses me out.

If you just got off your cruise by now I guess you realize that you cruised during mid winter break when the vast majority of high school and younger have the week off?

Now if you cruised the 2nd or 3rd week of sept or the 3rd week of may or the 1st 3 weeks of December among several other choice weeks you would have had a much different experience

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have sailed the Breakaway Haven in early December a few times. Last December there was a family with two kids who screamed in the pool. When Dad came it got much worse. The year before there was a family that would entertain their young child with the iPad in the Haven restaurant playing classics like ‘wheels on the bus’ at a loud volume for all to enjoy.

The Haven is marketed to families IMHO and if you want an adult only trip it makes sense to go on a luxury line. When I was staying in the Haven I loved the fact that my son had other kids to play with in an enclosed area where we could easily watch him. To me, the Haven during school release times is really targeted to families that want to take a family friendly cruise with some added luxury. In any event, sorry you’re not enjoying your experience and it wasn’t what you hoped for.

For me, we will be in the Haven again in a few weeks for spring break and I hope it’s filled with kids having fun and playing around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why? If they can behave properly, what’s the problem?

Medical risks. While I definitely believe in adult areas for adults, the biggest issue with hot tubs and children is health. Even for home hot tubs children under 5 should not be allowed in, and those over 5 should be limited to no more than 10 minutes in a 100degree hot tub, less than 5 minutes in a 104degree hot tub as on the ships.

http://www.hottubworks.com/blog/children-in-hot-tubs/

• CDC says: “Exclude children less than 5 years of age from using hot tubs.”
  • Red Cross says: “Children under 5 should not use a hot tub.”
  • APSP says: “No young child should be allowed in a hot tub until they can stand on the bottom and have their head remain completely out of the water.”

HIGH TEMPERATURES: Young children have skinny little bodies with thin skin. They absorb heat much more rapidly than adults, and can become overheated in just minutes in a spa at 104°, which can lead to dizziness, nausea or even unconsciousness. Children under the age of five heat up four times faster than adults, and also struggle to breathe the very hot and humid (steamy) air coming off of the water. Children older than five should limit exposure to hot water, both by reducing spa temperatures to 100° or less, and limiting soaking time to under 10 minutes.

EXPOSURE TO BACTERIA: In a public spa or hot tub, you never know if the water is sanitary, and if the spa is heavily used – its’ probably not. My advice is to never allow children to use a public spa, where they can be exposed to mycobacteria and pseudomonas or the parasite cryptosporidium. Skin infections, ear infections, or even respiratory infections are possible with adults and children, but children are more susceptible to attack. In a private hot tub or spa – assuming that your spa is not overused and is carefully maintained, and everyone showers fully before using the hot tub – the risk of bacteria exposure may be less. However, sickness can still occur if too many people are in the spa, or if the child stays in too long, or goes underwater, allowing exposure through nose, ear, eyes and mouth. Using the air blower in a spa can produce more aerosol bacteria, released as the bubbles reach the surface.

Wow! We have been in the Haven many, many times, in fact, it is what sold us on NCL. We have never had this issue. We have sailed with our older teenagers, but DH would skin them alive if they acted as you are describing! In fact, he would probably yell at other people to contain their children---and then we wouldn't cruise NCL again. I really have my fingers crossed we don't run across this issue!

Concierge isn't going to kick the kids out. It's not so much the screaming, it's the total takeover. Kids are being kids, it's understandable in a sense. But CLEARLY the Haven is a family area. Parents get to unwind on a lounger, drink service, and kids splash and play for hours in a contained area.

It didn't even occur to me to see if it was adults only. My fault I guess. But for people without kids, the Haven is a disaster, at least the courtyard aspect of it. Concierge is nice but not worth the hefty price.

On the newer ships the Haven is where all of the rooms large enough to actually hold a family comfortably are located. Shouldn’t be a surprise that there are kids there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the newer ships the Haven is where all of the rooms large enough to actually hold a family comfortably are located. Shouldn’t be a surprise that there are kids there?

My thoughts exactly. We were happy with the 2-BR suite on both the Gem and the Dawn. But if I want to sail on Escape, it's Haven or nothing. So yes, my 10 and 12 year old will be joining us in the Haven because NCL isn't giving us the same choice to avoid it that we had on the older ships.

I have cruised with Havenaccess three times, twice on the Epic and once on the Breakaway.

Our first Epiccruise was during easter and there were very few children in the Haven.

I do think that it's a problem that NCL have so many 2-room suites, of course that attracts families with children. They should have more suites for two persons and maybe more or better rooms for families without access to the Haven.

I think that it should be a good idea to make an adults only area within the Haven. On the Epic POSH is close and included so that's a good alternative to avoid too many children.

Wellbehaving children is not a problem but running and screaming shouldn't be allowed. They should have clear rules about it and enforce them.

Another alternative is MSCs Yacht Club, very few suites designed for more than two persons.

Congratulations on raising a well behaved, respectful daughter. Unfortunately your daughter is the exception rather than the norm. Also, I wouldn’t consider a 13 year old a child. I would limit entry to kids under 12. Look, my point is kids have a ton of activities to do on today’s ships - water slides, rock climbing walls, arcades, activity centres, go-carts, rope courses etc. etc. etc. I just don’t think hot tubs should be added to their entertainment list. I’m not a pediatriction but I also believe that hot tubs can be dangerous for small children as they can raise heart rates to dangerous levels. Maybe the answer isn’t restrictions but enforcing good behaviour protocols for both children and adults.

Ok, now this explanation makes sense and I can respect your opinion when stated likes this, as opposed to a sweeping “children don’t belong in hot tubs at all”. Thanks for further explaining.

Medical risks. While I definitely believe in adult areas for adults, the biggest issue with hot tubs and children is health. Even for home hot tubs children under 5 should not be allowed in, and those over 5 should be limited to no more than 10 minutes in a 100degree hot tub, less than 5 minutes in a 104degree hot tub as on the ships.

http://www.hottubworks.com/blog/children-in-hot-tubs/

• CDC says: “Exclude children less than 5 years of age from using hot tubs.”
  • Red Cross says: “Children under 5 should not use a hot tub.”
  • APSP says: “No young child should be allowed in a hot tub until they can stand on the bottom and have their head remain completely out of the water.”

HIGH TEMPERATURES: Young children have skinny little bodies with thin skin. They absorb heat much more rapidly than adults, and can become overheated in just minutes in a spa at 104°, which can lead to dizziness, nausea or even unconsciousness. Children under the age of five heat up four times faster than adults, and also struggle to breathe the very hot and humid (steamy) air coming off of the water. Children older than five should limit exposure to hot water, both by reducing spa temperatures to 100° or less, and limiting soaking time to under 10 minutes.

EXPOSURE TO BACTERIA: In a public spa or hot tub, you never know if the water is sanitary, and if the spa is heavily used – its’ probably not. My advice is to never allow children to use a public spa, where they can be exposed to mycobacteria and pseudomonas or the parasite cryptosporidium. Skin infections, ear infections, or even respiratory infections are possible with adults and children, but children are more susceptible to attack. In a private hot tub or spa – assuming that your spa is not overused and is carefully maintained, and everyone showers fully before using the hot tub – the risk of bacteria exposure may be less. However, sickness can still occur if too many people are in the spa, or if the child stays in too long, or goes underwater, allowing exposure through nose, ear, eyes and mouth. Using the air blower in a spa can produce more aerosol bacteria, released as the bubbles reach the surface.

I can agree with children under 5 if it is a health risk. But also people over 70 then.

I am amazed that people will pay what they do for the Haven. For the same costs, and often less, you can sail the luxury lines, and have a much better experience.

I'm amazed that people will pay what they do for the Haven and are then okay with shelling out additional money for Vibe and Thermal Spa, so they can actually have a peaceful, kid-free space :D. At that point, just book a regular room and get those add-ons!

Who would have thought? Maybe all the cheerleaders for the Haven are the same fools that show up with their 5 kids?

The Haven is essentially family harbor. Absolutely every single moment we have gone in, pool is loaded with kids. Splashing, screaming, snorkeling the hot tubs, you name it.

Sold a sanctuary, but apparently it's just an extension of the kids club. Definitely won't make that mistake again.

To anyone else who may be considering it.... If you are hoping for a quiet, relaxing courtyard like NCL portrays it... Buyer beware.

When we were on NCL we stayed in the Haven and their was one family that did let their kids go nuts. However the rest of the ship was a zoo! So overcrowded. NCL never again not for us! Also only a lucky few can access the vibe. But you have to climb over chairs and bodies to access.

I am amazed that people will pay what they do for the Haven. For the same costs, and often less, you can sail the luxury lines, and have a much better experience.

I thought this is what the Haven was billed as. We would definitely sail a luxury line in the future when we aren't taking the kids. Lesson learned.

I agree with those who have said it depends on when you sail. I've been lucky enough to have stayed in the Haven 20+ times (mostly on Escape but also on BA and GA).

For the most part it has been wonderful although families do tend to take over the pool area and it can get quite loud. On Escape in particular I always spend my outside time on deck 19 and I wish NCL would make that deck adults only so that we may have some quiet place to relax.

On the minus side, I have witnessed children playing hide and go seek in the restaurant, playing catch with a ball (no lie!) in front of the buffet in the Haven restaurant, screaming and yelling at the table with zero parental intervention. Last week there was a group of six adults in the hot tub on deck 19 chatting and having drinks. A mother came up with her three small kids, settled in a lounger as the kids jumped in the hot tub splashing and screaming. The adults began complaining, mom did nothing, and they got out in a huff.

Also last week, on our sea days, every single lounger around the pool and up on deck 19 was chair-hogged by 7:30 in the morning with nary a person in sight. Several us complained to the concierge and the items were removed.

I try to carefully choose when I sail in the Haven trying to avoid holidays and school vacations. I love the Haven best on Escape mainly because I've come to know and love the crew and they make the experience amazing for me. As new ships are arriving and Haven prices are the highest I've ever seen, I doubt I'll be booking Haven as often as I have in the past simply from a financial standpoint.

When Haven is good, it is absolutely wonderful; when it's not, it can be an awful experience.

Tracy