Rain gear in Alaska

CheckersMidwest

We are sailing on the Legend the first week of August. I expect it to rain and I've read to bring rain gear. What kind of rain gear? Is a poncho enough? Do I need a rain suit? (Have one from HS football season....). Do I need short rain boots? Some rain coats have a flannel lining & some don't........which do you recommend?

I am always cold. Just for reference. I am already planning to pack my warm winter coat with liner for the glacier excursion. I will have so much luggage !

Thanks for helping me plan !

Depends on what types of excursions you are on. We went for a self guided hike up the mountain at Juneau and it was drenching rain that day. We had decent gear though and didn't want to miss it. If you'll stay inside the ship when it's raining and your excursions aren't too bad, then you might get away with less. Mind you, then you won't get to experience Alaska.

Layers :)

We took wind and water resistant jackets and cheap dollar store ponchos that could be put in our pockets. I also took a folding umbrella to share that would fit in a pocket when not needed.

On purpose we did not take warm shirts - instead we planned on our Alaska souvenirs being the warm layers ... each of us bought a couple of long sleeved t-shirts and a sweatshirt both with Alaska designs.

We are sailing on the Legend the first week of August. I expect it to rain and I've read to bring rain gear. What kind of rain gear? Is a poncho enough? Do I need a rain suit? (Have one from HS football season....). Do I need short rain boots? Some rain coats have a flannel lining & some don't........which do you recommend?

I am always cold. Just for reference. I am already planning to pack my warm winter coat with liner for the glacier excursion. I will have so much luggage !

Thanks for helping me plan !

Hi there

As has been suggested, what you need depends on what you are going to be doing. Layers with something waterproof on the outside, will keep you dry if you at going to be hiking outside. If all you are going to be doing is walking around town or taking a bus tour, maybe all you need is an umbrella.

Just curious, why at you expecting rain? We went in early spring and didn't see any rain. Had to get the shorts out for some of the days, it was that sunny and warm. The only time we really needed our warm clothes was while cruising. Being out on deck to see the glaciers or whatever, just standing around like that, it got quite chilly.

have a great cruise

Layers is the way to go. Bring lightweight foldable raincoat just in case.

We didnt hit rain but mother nature does as she wans.

Brought three layers and needed sweat shirt so had to buy one on cruise

Weren’t we on the same cruise? I know we ate many lunches together. Say Hi to your lovely wife! It rained in Ketchikan, Juneau and a bit in Icy Straight Point.

Pack most of your clothes in space bags. Outerwear contains a lot of air.

Remember SE Alaska, the Ketchikan, Skagway, etc area is a rain forest. Layers is the key to me. We went in August and it was very rainy in Ketchikan. Had a roomy waterproof hooded raincoat with room for layers. Layer for the temperature forecasted. Loved it, rain and all!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great advice ! We are taking the train in Skagway, going on a whale watching excursion with a salmon bake in Juneau, & walking around in Ketchikan. I'd like to be on deck to watch for whales, etc. We are taking the glacier excursion from the ship in Tracy Arm Fjord - which is what my actual winter gear is for.

If you plan on rain every day and temps in the low 60's, you'll be happy. For us, we like to carry a backpack in port to hold our water bottle, phone, camera, tissues and anything we buy in port. We always pack a nice quality poncho that can easily cover your backpack and goes down close to your knees. If it's really raining, you don't want to ruin your port day with an 89 cent disposable poncho. If it stops raining, you can always fold the poncho up and put it into your backpack. I would recommend having a gallon zip bag to hold the poncho until you get back to the ship to dry it out in the shower.

As everyone else says, dress in layers. I like to wear a long sleeve thermal undershirt below a t-shirt. On top of the t-shirt would be a long sleeve shirt, covered by a nice fleece jacket. You might also consider a nice compact wind-breaker as well. It could be pouring and in the upper 40's when you get off the ship, but it could end up being 75 and sunny by the afternoon. Just be prepared for all weather. Avoid an umbrella if possible. The backpack comes in handy to carry any layers not needed at the moment.

If you plan on taking lots of photographs, I would pack a poncho that allows your camera to stay out of the rain except for the moments you wish to take a photograph. The poncho also needs to be large enough to cover your camera bag/backpack.

If you opt for rain jacket and pants, your camera bag needs to have a built-in rain cover to keep your other gear dry.

Ditto the layers and make sure the outer one is waterproof

Rained most of the day in Juneau and we were glad we had Frogg Togg pants and waterproof jackets the beginning of September - most of the other people on our whale watching tour had either water resistant jackets or the cheap rain ponchos and stayed inside and left the few of us out to see the whales. Same when we were in Sitka.

When it got too warm, just took off our fleece jackets and put them in our bags - I used a Maxpedition Versipak tactickal crossbody that has a waterproof inner lining.

I took a Marmot rain jacket and a cheap $20 pair of rain pants that I wore over leggings. I used both several times and was glad I had them and neither took up much room in the suitcase. The jacket was nice to have for warmth as well as rain when I needed something on my arms but not a heavy coat. I also wore hiking shoes, not knowing they would keep my feet so warm and dry and I was glad to have those also.