Tap water in stateroom

KPookey

I was reading a long thread on wine when I saw someone ask why people bring bottled water on board. It got me wondering if the tap water in the room (bathroom) is safe to drink. I normally do drink that water, but last cruise got a bad stomachache one night. Obviously it could have been from any number of things, but I’m wondering if you think that water is safe to drink?

While I’m sure it’s safe, I remember as a kid (a very long time ago) my mom would tell us to not drink the bathroom water. I have no idea why but to this day I go to the kitchen. On a cruise I bring sports bottles and fill a couple with water from the WJ to keep in the cabin or take on excursions. Having said that, of course we use the bathroom water to brush teeth so it’s certainly not poison.

It's probably fine, but I'm one who also brings empty water bottles. I fill them with the ice from my ice bucket, dump water in at the Windjammer and dump water or juice from the Freestyle machines when I have the soda package. This way I can always have ice cold water/beverages in my stateroom fridge and along with me.

I was reading a long thread on wine when I saw someone ask why people bring bottled water on board. It got me wondering if the tap water in the room (bathroom) is safe to drink. I normally do drink that water, but last cruise got a bad stomachache one night. Obviously it could have been from any number of things, but I’m wondering if you think that water is safe to drink?
The water meets all US drinking water standards.

I hope the water supply to the toilet is different than the sink in the cabins. In January on the Oasis our toilet kept getting a thick black film inside the bowl. I know the room steward knew it because he cleaned it everyday. It was as black as coal.

No, the water to your toilet is exactly the same water that makes your meals, mixes your drinks, and makes the ice onboard, in addition to coming from your sink tap. The black film inside the bowl means that the rubber distribution ring (unlike your toilet at home that has cast in water passages, the ship's toilets use a U-shaped rubber pipe with holes in it to distribute the water around the rim) that is tucked way up inside the rim (you can't see it unless you want to emulate our plumbers who have to stick their head almost in the bowl to get the dang thing out) is breaking down and the rubber particles are adhering to the bowl.

And for biker: yes, the water and drink dispensers, bar guns, water stations in the MDR, and the ice makers all have a carbon filter to remove the chlorine, not for taste but because the chlorine builds a scale in this equipment.

The reason the "cold" water never runs as cold as at home, is that the water pipes are not buried 6 feet underground, where the temperature is a constant 55* or so, and it does not sit stationary in the pipes like municipal supplies, soaking up the cold. The water is constantly circulated, and goes from the 100*+ engine room to the 70* hotel and back, so it will never get below the ambient room temperature.

• Like 2

No, the water to your toilet is exactly the same water that makes your meals, mixes your drinks, and makes the ice onboard, in addition to coming from your sink tap. The black film inside the bowl means that the rubber distribution ring (unlike your toilet at home that has cast in water passages, the ship's toilets use a U-shaped rubber pipe with holes in it to distribute the water around the rim) that is tucked way up inside the rim (you can't see it unless you want to emulate our plumbers who have to stick their head almost in the bowl to get the dang thing out) is breaking down and the rubber particles are adhering to the bowl.

And for biker: yes, the water and drink dispensers, bar guns, water stations in the MDR, and the ice makers all have a carbon filter to remove the chlorine, not for taste but because the chlorine builds a scale in this equipment.

The reason the "cold" water never runs as cold as at home, is that the water pipes are not buried 6 feet underground, where the temperature is a constant 55* or so, and it does not sit stationary in the pipes like municipal supplies, soaking up the cold. The water is constantly circulated, and goes from the 100*+ engine room to the 70* hotel and back, so it will never get below the ambient room temperature.

Also the pumps constantly circulating the water will generate heat.

JoeRum

The reason I purchase bottled water for my cabin is for convenience. I like putting them in the refrigerator so that I can have cold water at hand. I also frequently take a cold bottle of water when I get off of the ship at ports. Bottled water is inexpensive, so it's not a big deal to me to have it in my cabin. I would not hesitate to get water from the bathroom sink if I was very thirsty and had nothing else on hand.

Chief - You are amazing - I work for a major airline (Crew Chief /Mechanic). I do enjoy your explanations and the 'tips' of info you pass along (adding water to floor drain in bathroom comes to mind - for smell) are excellent !!! Hats off to you and would enjoy just shooting the 'BS' one day. Our professions are similar, yet very different. Yours - make the ships float, mine - make sure they fly....

A heck of job you do/did for us 'Land/lubbers' -

Bill

The reason I purchase bottled water for my cabin is for convenience. I like putting them in the refrigerator so that I can have cold water at hand. I also frequently take a cold bottle of water when I get off of the ship at ports. Bottled water is inexpensive, so it's not a big deal to me to have it in my cabin. I would not hesitate to get water from the bathroom sink if I was very thirsty and had nothing else on hand.

Same here. And when and if I run out of water I have comped in my room and the few I bring on board....I just refill from the sink and place inside the little fridge to cool down. I also make sure attendant keeps my ice bucket filled and will enjoy a glass with the tap or bottled water also.

• Like 1

It is perfectly safe.

For me fine for brushing my teath etc. but for drinking, I am happy to pay for bottled water. Evian preferred. Even for making tea. Personal preference.

Just realize, the water on board is more pure that many bottled waters. :D

Just realize, the water on board is more pure that many bottled waters. :D

Where would get that false idea?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is not universally true. While quite a lot of water on the ships is made by distillation, leaving virtually nothing but water, that same water is later treated with calcium carbonate and chlorine. Another source of water made onboard is by reverse osmosis, the exact same treatment that bottled water gets, so it won't be any "purer". The third source of water on the ship is municipal water loaded in port. This water receives no treatment other than chlorination, so it retains whatever the "purity" level of the municipality where it came from, and in most cases, is less "pure" than bottled water. So, the "purity" level of a ship's water will depend on the relative concentrations of the three sources of water, and could range from probably 70% distilled, 30% RO on the QM2 during the crossing season, to 100% Miami municipal water on the Norwegian Sky on her 3 day Bahamas cruises.

• Like 1