Coke or Pepsi?

MyTMo777

The Pepsi- Cola Company said there is no gluten in any carbonated soft drink produced by the company in North America.

What pops are gluten free?

This includes Coca-Cola Classic, Diet Coke, Coke Zero, and most other Coke beverages. Pepsi is gluten-free, as are all PepsiCo products such as Diet Pepsi. Additional gluten-free sodas include 7UP, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, major brands of root beer (Barq's, Mug, A&W), and Fanta.

http://urbantastebud.com/gluten-free-soda-list-ultimate-guide/

Additional information that may be helpful to some:

Based on the FDS's guidelines, "Gluten Free" labeling is voluntary. But, to qualify to be claimed gluten free, a product must have less than 20 parts per million of gluten products in the food or drink. So, to be precise, they may claim to be gluten free, but they are still allowed to have a minuscule amount of gluten in the product. This is due to the difficult of removing absolutely all gluten during processing of a product.

This results in the very real chance of Coke having a similar amount of gluten as Pepsi in their products, based on the manufacture of the similar products using similar processes.

never in my life have I heard someone order a "Jack and Pepsi? :lips-sealed:

No, bit I'll bet that is exactly what they got if Coke wasn't served there. And they wouldn't even notice. Do you think the bars that serve Pepsi would tell the customer they can't have their drink? Only Coke snobs would make an issue of it.

I prefer Pepsi and I do notis a difference in taste between Pepsi and Coke. Coke have more carbonic acid and Pepsi is sweeter.

But now and then I do l enjoy Coke more, but that's rare.

But I just hate Pepsi Max and Coca Cola Zero, to me it taste artificial.

• 2 months later...

I am sorry you don't believe in the gluten allergy thing. I hate the fact I have the allergy. If I eat gluten, I am doubled over in severe abdominal pain, throwing up, in the bathroom for 8-10 hours afterward and will have headaches and severe fatigue for a few weeks after It is no walk in the park. Add to that, I have no choice but to miss out on so many things others get to eat.

uote=PTMary;55435018]Are you being serious? Preferring Coke because of gluten? I have worked in the health care industry all my adult life, and now work for a leading hospital and research organization, and I can say with conviction that the so called "gluten issue" is just another health fad. In a decade, it will have died out. We didn't concern ourselves with gluten when I was growing up and somehow we all survived just fine. Up until about a decade ago, maybe 1 in 2500 people worldwide might have some minor issues with gluten intolerance. Now, suddenly, it is more like 1 in 120 in the US that claim they have issues - which is still less than 1% of the population. It is just another example of people responding to what they read or hear and now suddenly they have the same problem. Considering all the diet fads, prescribed and over the counter drugs, and elective procedures that people are depending on today, the US is a country of hypochondriacs. The vast majority of people do not actually have the health problems they think they have. Fine with me, however, as it keeps me employed.

Are you being serious? Preferring Coke because of gluten? I have worked in the health care industry all my adult life, and now work for a leading hospital and research organization, and I can say with conviction that the so called "gluten issue" is just another health fad. In a decade, it will have died out. We didn't concern ourselves with gluten when I was growing up and somehow we all survived just fine. Up until about a decade ago, maybe 1 in 2500 people worldwide might have some minor issues with gluten intolerance. Now, suddenly, it is more like 1 in 120 in the US that claim they have issues - which is still less than 1% of the population. It is just another example of people responding to what they read or hear and now suddenly they have the same problem. Considering all the diet fads, prescribed and over the counter drugs, and elective procedures that people are depending on today, the US is a country of hypochondriacs. The vast majority of people do not actually have the health problems they think they have. Fine with me, however, as it keeps me employed.

I guess maybe you don't know that modern wheat products contain 5 gluten proteins, which older wheat only had 3. And it seems that maybe the two new proteins are the ones causing people issues.

And you are invited to talk to my boss, who has RA. Having ONE wheat product and he will have a flare up. One time at dinner together, he had a burrito, not thinking. Next morning he was in bad shape. Finally, we realized he had the burrito with flour tortilla.

And, he went from a biologic dose every week, to being able to go more than 3 weeks, just be removing gluten from his diet.

Fad? NO. At least not for every one.

Also, 20 years ago how many people had nut allergies? Are you saying it is a fad to go into anaphylactic shock over peanut exposure to the many more people with nut allergies these days?

One other comment I would like to make: intolerance to gluten is a mostly self diagnosed symptom. Most people decide they have it not because they actually suffer from it, but because it is the latest trend in dieting and they want the attention that they get from making a fuss about what they eat when dining out with others. This is a well documented physiological behavior that appears to have reached it's peak and is slowly losing appeal.

Possibly for many. But you lumped everyone with a gluten issue into your last post.

And that is NOT the case.

Oh, and health care professionals are always right?

camels_doctors_whiteshirt.jpg.5c16a75e447871028b5869af318b2a14.jpg

I'm a little confused, according to this: Coca-Cola claims that the majority of their products contain less than 20 parts per million of gluten and are safe to drink by people with celiac disease. This includes Coca-Cola Classic, Diet Coke, Coke Zero, and most other Coke beverages. Pepsi is gluten-free, as are all PepsiCo products such as Diet Pepsi., Pepis is gluten-free.

Possibly for many. But you lumped everyone with a gluten issue into your last post.

And that is NOT the case.

Oh, and health care professionals are always right?

Actually, my last post was about voluntary labeling of gluten free products. ;)

But, to reply to your "lumped everyone with a gluten issue into your last post" comment, reread my posts. I said "most" people do not have a real issue with gluten allergies. I never said "everyone" in my posts.

I am fully aware that some people have this disease to some extent. But, many who insist on gluten free products are doing so not because they have actually been diagnosed by a doctor, but because they have decided that they want to avoid gluten. Perhaps it is "just in case" protection. But, from my experience as a health care professional, many people who avoid gluten do not need to. They are creating issues where none exist, resulting in unnecessary difficulties for themselves when dining out or shopping for groceries.

If you have allergies to gluten, by all means protect yourselves. If you don't, then don't make life harder for yourself by unnecessarily insisting on gluten free foods.

Actually, my last post was about voluntary labeling of gluten free products. ;)

But, to reply to your "lumped everyone with a gluten issue into your last post" comment, reread my posts. I said "most" people do not have a real issue with gluten allergies. I never said "everyone" in my posts.

I am fully aware that some people have this disease to some extent. But, many who insist on gluten free products are doing so not because they have actually been diagnosed by a doctor, but because they have decided that they want to avoid gluten. Perhaps it is "just in case" protection. But, from my experience as a health care professional, many people who avoid gluten do not need to. They are creating issues where none exist, resulting in unnecessary difficulties for themselves when dining out or shopping for groceries.

If you have allergies to gluten, by all means protect yourselves. If you don't, then don't make life harder for yourself by unnecessarily insisting on gluten free foods.

How you started your post:

Are you being serious? Preferring Coke because of gluten? I have worked in the health care industry all my adult life, and now work for a leading hospital and research organization, and I can say with conviction that the so called "gluten issue" is just another health fad. In a decade, it will have died out. We didn't concern ourselves with gluten when I was growing up and somehow we all survived just fine.

Times change, people change, food (crops) change.

Not gonna lie, I love NCL but the two times I've sailed with them (Escape and Getaway) the Pepsi and soda in general was very sub par.

Thankfully I don't really like soda that much, but the one day after a long day of sun and excursions that I did actually want a cold fresh Pepsi/soda I ended up drinking the can from the mini fridge because it was far far far superior to the Pepsi on tap . Just a minor nitpick since there's a thread on the subject

Can I bring Cheerwine on board ship?

Depends' date=' what is it? And what cruise line?[/quote']

Cheerwine is a carbonated soft drink served primarily in the Carolinas. It is somewhat similar to Dr. Pepper with a bit of a cherry flavor, but also unique to itself.

Z'Loth, if the line allows other soft drinks it should allow Cheerwine in the same form (ex: Carnival allows cans but not bottles).

Can I bring Cheerwine on board ship?

You cannot bring anything onboard except for wine if you pay the corkage fee.

Let me edit to say you cannot bring anything on NCL.

Sorry thought I was on that board when I first posted.

Edited by jdvmd

Depends, what is it? And what cruise line?

It's a carbonated beverage that is common in the Carolinas, but I have to do some searching to find in California (only found it at BevMo).

And, Celebrity cruise lines.

It's a carbonated beverage that is common in the Carolinas' date=' but I have to do some searching to find in California (only found it at BevMo).

And, Celebrity cruise lines.[/quote']

Is it an alcoholic beverage?

The name cheerwine rather implies it is It Seems many of us have not heard of it. Is it new to the U.S. market? Popular in some other country?

I googled it and amazed what I learned it is and how long it has been around.

Edited by sail7seas

It's a carbonated beverage that is common in the Carolinas' date=' but I have to do some searching to find in California (only found it at BevMo).

And, Celebrity cruise lines.[/quote']

Yes, on Celebrity you may bring sodas.