Unique questions

Packman1000

We are taking a Princess Med. cruise this summer in which the ship does several 7 day cruises back to back. We are going on 3 of these for a total of 21 days. So two questions - will we be allowed to bring one bottle of wine onboard (pp) in each of the ports in which a new 7 day cruise begins? Also, we will get credit for three cruises in their loyalty program (which would be better for us than 21 days)?

Lastly, a question about dress code. We will be in Europe and I'm told you must cover your knees and shoulders in churches. Does that mean no shorts at all for men or women? What about a dress for a women that is slightly above, or near, the knee?

Thanks much.

We are taking a Princess Med. cruise this summer in which the ship does several 7 day cruises back to back. We are going on 3 of these for a total of 21 days. So two questions - will we be allowed to bring one bottle of wine onboard (pp) in each of the ports in which a new 7 day cruise begins? Also, we will get credit for three cruises in their loyalty program (which would be better for us than 21 days)?

Lastly, a question about dress code. We will be in Europe and I'm told you must cover your knees and shoulders in churches. Does that mean no shorts at all for men or women? What about a dress for a women that is slightly above, or near, the knee?

Thanks much.

RE: dress code: In Italy and other European countries, you must cover your knees and shoulders in churches. That include no shorts (men or women) if they are above the knees. Capris are okay. If the dress is around the knee, I doubt anyone will say anything but if its a short dress then that would not be allowed. Some churches supply a large scarf sort of thing that can be wrapped around the waist to cover the lower body or to be put across the shoulders.

Also keep in mind, dress code around town in much of Europe is different than in the US. Many areas of Europe look down on shorter length shorts when walking around town. No one may say anything to you, but its not considered respectful dress in some areas. You may want to google this for more info.

Dress code as above--if they say "cover shoulders and knees," they mean it. As noted, some provide a shawl that you can tie at your waist or throw over your shoulders, or you can invest in a large scarf that will do the same thing. That way, you can wear what you want for the day but put on your scarf to enter a church! Or get a lightweight pull on skirt that you can whip out of your bag and pull on over your shorts just for church time. No one is looking at the wrinkles and many lightweight knits don't wrinkle badly.

I think on the cruise credits, it depends on how you booked it. We did a Japan cruise B2B and got credit for 2 cruises...but we had booked it as 2 separate cruises. If the b2b2b you booked is sold as a single 21 night and 3 7 nights, you'll get credit for 21 nights either way...but I think the number of cruises depends on how you booked. And your various OBCs are based on how you booked it,

If a cruise is sold both ways (example, 14 night single cruise and separate 7 night cruises), I find that making a little chart showing the cost and various OBCs makes it easy to figure out which is the better way to book.

Your back to back to back will count as three cruise credits if in normal cabins, or 6 credits if in a suite.. Doesn't matter if it's booked as three cruises or ine long sailing.. You get a credit for each leg..

Yes, you can bring on your wine in each embarkation port.

Dress code covered above.

We have booked a 20 day cruise as one cruise but are still receiving 2 cruise credits for it. Hopefully I will get two lots of internet minutes free, and now I know I can bring more wine on, on turnaround day!

Yes, it will be 3 credits. We did a 21 night cruise last year that was operated as two cruises, 11 nights and 10 nights. Even though we booked it as a single cruise we got 2 cruise credits.

Trust me, make sure your knees and shoulders are covered. They’ll give you robes or shawls and who knows who last wore them or when they were last washed. They are smelly and disgusting.

The bottom line is to respect the local customs.

OK, to take this one step further...if you book it as one cruise, you can only apply one shareholder credit, one military credit, right? I realize that the value of these increases with the length of the cruise, but I'd be better with a 14 day + a 7 day that I could apply 2 shareholder credits on than a 21 day with one credit. 14 night or longer = $250. 7 night = $100. So IF I had the option and was doing a 7+7+7, my best move would be to book as 14 + 7 and get $250 + $100. Yes, that assumes all else being equal (cost, other benefits).

If I choose to book a cruise as 14 nights that could have been 7+7, do I also get 150 internet minutes on each leg or do I get the 250 for an 8-14 night cruise? Do I get a minibar set up each 7 nights, or do I get one for the 14 nights? Again, my guess is that what I get is based on how I book it, but that's only a guess.

Not sure of the credit issue (we have always gotten credit for 1 cruise if we booked it under a single booking number) but do have some answers to the other questions. Regarding bringing wine aboard, whether you will be able to bring bottles aboard with each new segment is really hit or miss on Princess. While technically the answer might be no.....we have often brought wine aboard (at each segment) with no problems. But there was one cruise in our past where they did insist we pay the corkage or turn over the bottles for delivery at the end of the cruise. Its one of those issues where you just try....and see what happens.

As to European churches, while many will tell you that you should always have knees and shoulders covered....our experience is that it depends on the church. There is a tough dress code that is always enforced at the Vatican. But otherwise, we have seen plenty of folks walk into churches in shorts, sleeveless tops, etc during period when there were no masses (or services). To be safe it is always better to cover shoulders and knees. DW usually wears Capris (which do cover her knees) and will carry some kind of shawl or pashmina in her purse to use when necessary. Over the years I have probably walked inside more than 200 churches throughout Europe...and often was wearing shorts (although not short shorts).

There are also strict dress codes at most Mosques...although some of them will actually loan you a wrap if they think you are improperly attired. But consider that you have no idea where that loaned wrap has been :).

Hank

OK' date=' to take this one step further...if you book it as one cruise, you can only apply one shareholder credit, one military credit, right? I realize that the value of these increases with the length of the cruise, but I'd be better with a 14 day + a 7 day that I could apply 2 shareholder credits on than a 21 day with one credit. 14 night or longer = $250. 7 night = $100. So IF I had the option and was doing a 7+7+7, my best move would be to book as 14 + 7 and get $250 + $100. Yes, that assumes all else being equal (cost, other benefits).

If I choose to book a cruise as 14 nights that could have been 7+7, do I also get 150 internet minutes on each leg or do I get the 250 for an 8-14 night cruise? Do I get a minibar set up each 7 nights, or do I get one for the 14 nights? Again, my guess is that what I get is based on how I book it, but that's only a guess.[/quote']

I'm new, but know this one.

When you book as a single cruise of 14 days you will get 250, if as 2 separate 7 day cruises you'll get 150+150.

If they offer a free specialty dinner as a perk, the it's the same way, 1 dinner if booked as a 14 day, one each leg if booked as 2 separate.

I'm new, but know this one.

When you book as a single cruise of 14 days you will get 250, if as 2 separate 7 day cruises you'll get 150+150.

If they offer a free specialty dinner as a perk, the it's the same way, 1 dinner if booked as a 14 day, one each leg if booked as 2 separate.

Thanks, that's exactly what I expected.

Thanks for all of the responses (I'm the OP). I know these are gray area questions, so I understand the differing opinions. I had reason to call Princess today on another issue, so I asked the two questions about bringing wine onboard at the interim embarkation ports and the 3 credit question. They said wine (to our stateroom) would be allowed only at our original embarkation and only 1 cruise credit, since I booked a 21 day cruise. That is what I expected them to say.

It would sure be nice to be able to buy a nice bottle of local wine, while in these famous wine making ports, to enjoy in our stateroom. I just can't put wine bottles in my checked luggage. One time at baggage claim we saw a suitcase almost dripping with alcohol. I don't feel sorry for the owner of the suitcase, but I do for the owner of the one beneath it.

Thanks for all of the responses (I'm the OP). I know these are gray area questions, so I understand the differing opinions. I had reason to call Princess today on another issue, so I asked the two questions about bringing wine onboard at the interim embarkation ports and the 3 credit question. They said wine (to our stateroom) would be allowed only at our original embarkation and only 1 cruise credit, since I booked a 21 day cruise. That is what I expected them to say.

It would sure be nice to be able to buy a nice bottle of local wine, while in these famous wine making ports, to enjoy in our stateroom. I just can't put wine bottles in my checked luggage. One time at baggage claim we saw a suitcase almost dripping with alcohol. I don't feel sorry for the owner of the suitcase, but I do for the owner of the one beneath it.

As is often the case, the person you talked to at Princess was wrong. I just got back from a 20 day cruise on the Royal Princess that was sole either as two 10-day cruises or one 20 day cruise. I booked it as one 20 day cruise in order to get more onboard credit from the military and shareholder benefits. I received 4 cruise credits since I had reserved a full suite. These 4 cruise credits appeared in my Captains Circle cruise history long before the cruise began. If all else fails, talk to the Captain's Circle host when you get on the ship and ask him or her to verify that you will get a cruise credit for each segment. I did that for a similar cruise several years ago and she got on her computer and changed my history to show a cruise credit for each segment.

My solution would be to NOT tour churches, if I wanted to wear shorts or a short skirt. You can bring a scarf to tie around your hips, that would "cover" your knees, if you must go into every church you see. Wear a "cap" sleeve shirt...that will cover your shoulders.

As is often the case, the person you talked to at Princess was wrong. I just got back from a 20 day cruise on the Royal Princess that was sole either as two 10-day cruises or one 20 day cruise. I booked it as one 20 day cruise in order to get more onboard credit from the military and shareholder benefits. I received 4 cruise credits since I had reserved a full suite. These 4 cruise credits appeared in my Captains Circle cruise history long before the cruise began. If all else fails, talk to the Captain's Circle host when you get on the ship and ask him or her to verify that you will get a cruise credit for each segment. I did that for a similar cruise several years ago and she got on her computer and changed my history to show a cruise credit for each segment.

The credits showed up before the cruise began??? That's interesting.

We have a cruise in a couple of weeks. It does not show up, nor would I expect it to. I thought the "history" would show completed cruises. Of course, that makes it hard to verify that it is correct while you are on board.

OK' date=' to take this one step further...if you book it as one cruise, you can only apply one shareholder credit, one military credit, right? I realize that the value of these increases with the length of the cruise, but I'd be better with a 14 day + a 7 day that I could apply 2 shareholder credits on than a 21 day with one credit. 14 night or longer = $250. 7 night = $100. So IF I had the option and was doing a 7+7+7, my best move would be to book as 14 + 7 and get $250 + $100. Yes, that assumes all else being equal (cost, other benefits).

If I choose to book a cruise as 14 nights that could have been 7+7, do I also get 150 internet minutes on each leg or do I get the 250 for an 8-14 night cruise? Do I get a minibar set up each 7 nights, or do I get one for the 14 nights? Again, my guess is that what I get is based on how I book it, but that's only a guess.[/quote']

Before booking a b2b(...), I always figure the obc the different ways and subtract the obc from the cost of the cruise to see which is cheaper.

I think that those cruise credits should before the cruise as "Future". They would not have give you a higher level in the Captain's Circle until you sailed them. Also they were not figured into the Loyalty Credit until the cruises were completed.

I may have missed it, but did not see any answers for your wine questions. I have not seen anything from Princess handling bringing extra bottles for a b2b. My experience is that I have had no problem. I always print off the boarding passes for all legs. The few times I have been questioned, I show them the subsequent boarding passes and was allowed to bring on 4 bottles for 2 people on a b2b.

If they do not record that I brought on the extra bottles, I will get off at the turnaround port and get 2 more bottles.

I think that those cruise credits should before the cruise as "Future". They would not have give you a higher level in the Captain's Circle until you sailed them. Also they were not figured into the Loyalty Credit until the cruises were completed.

Way cool, I just found it. Thanks! And seeing it there answered another of my questions before needing to ask.

Regarding bringing on wine at subsequent ports, whether it's beginning of a second leg or a port in-between: my husband always asks security as we depart the ship for the day about whether or not we will be allowed a new bottle of wine. When we are told that it is fine to bring more on, we do. And so far have never had it taken away when we return.

We have booked a 20 day cruise as one cruise but are still receiving 2 cruise credits for it. Hopefully I will get two lots of internet minutes free, and now I know I can bring more wine on, on turnaround day!

You'll get a new set of internet minutes on turn around day. You have to finish using the "old" minutes before you can start the "new" minutes.

If the credit doesn't show up, talk to the internet center.

Your back to back to back will count as three cruise credits if in normal cabins, or 6 credits if in a suite.. Doesn't matter if it's booked as three cruises or ine long sailing.. You get a credit for each leg..

Above is 100% correct.

Also, with proper documentation that you will be on for the three segments, each adult can bring on three bottles at no charge when you first embark the ship. If anyone questions that, ask to speak with a supervisor. No need to seek out a new bottle on each turnaround day.

Thanks much.

You will receive 1 cruise credit for each leg, thus 3 cruise credits. It does not matter how the cruise was booked. If you are in a full suite or sailing as a single you will receive the additional credits.

You should be able to bring on wine at each turn around port. We have seen this in Europe and as well just recently in Ft. Lauderdale. You may be able to also carry on wine at other ports of call.