Help me choose

cruiser20145

My mother and I are currently looking at our first cruise! We have narrowed our search to a few cruises, but are not certainof what we want. We have several options:

5 Day Eastern Caribbean

Carnival Ecstasy from Miami

Going to: Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk

Departure Date: June 11,2018

5 Day Western Caribbean

Carnival Conquest from Ft. Lauderdale

Going to: Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman

Departure Date: June 11, 2018

4 Day Bahamas

Carnival Victory from Miami

Going to: Nassau and Half Moon Cay

5 Day Western Caribbean

Carnival Paradise from Tampa

Going to: Key West, Cozumel

Departure Date: June 9, 2018

5 Day Western Caribbean

Majesty of the Seas from Tampa

If you were to select from these cruises for your first, what would you choose and why? We would really like 2 sea days, but also a 5 day cruise. We don't truly want a Fantasy class, but don't love the ports of the Conquest.

I would do one of the 5 day Key West/Cozumel routes. Those are two of my favorite ports.

They are both fascinating, and fun. It's also easy in both places for first time cruisers to do a lot without booking expensive excursions. If you want to do excursions there are plenty to choose from.

Hope you have a great time whatever you decide.

I would probably do the Key West/Cozumel route as well. It avoids a Fantasy class ship, and my family has vowed never to go to Nassau/Freeport because we feel it's a waste of money to go to those places. We want to go somewhere nice.

5 Day Western Caribbean

My choice, I love Tampa as an Embarkation port and Key West and Cozumel as stops. Been on the Paradise twice.

I’d pick the Nassau, Grand Turk, HMC for itinerary because I’m a beach person and these are all great easy beach ports. I love Cozumel too but would want something more than Key West for a second stop. Why are you choosing between those specific sailings? Is it dates, price, departure port?

I’d pick the Nassau, Grand Turk, HMC for itinerary because I’m a beach person and these are all great easy beach ports. I love Cozumel too but would want something more than Key West for a second stop. Why are you choosing between those specific sailings? Is it dates, price, departure port?

We are choosing for the dates and price. We will have to fly no matter where we depart from. We have to go this week, as it is the only time we can fit in our schedule this summer.

I would probably do the Key West/Cozumel route as well. It avoids a Fantasy class ship, and my family has vowed never to go to Nassau/Freeport because we feel it's a waste of money to go to those places. We want to go somewhere nice.

I'm assuming you have never been to the Bahamas on a land trip. The place is amazing, however, not your best cruise port. I hate Atlantis, but there are some gorgeous 5 * resorts on Nassau. The diving and fishing are amazing. We only would go May - October, the water and air can be cold in the winter,

I'm assuming you have never been to the Bahamas on a land trip. The place is amazing, however, not your best cruise port. I hate Atlantis, but there are some gorgeous 5 * resorts on Nassau. The diving and fishing are amazing. We only would go May - October, the water and air can be cold in the winter,

You would be correct. We've only been on a cruise and determined it was a complete dump. At least the parts we saw going back and forth to Paradise Island. I am sure there are some beautiful parts of the island but we saw enough to make us not want to ever return.

I will say though I saw where Nassau was looking to improve their cruise port because they know how many people stay on the ship when it docks there. They want people to start coming off the ship and spending money. It's going to take a lot of work though.

You would be correct. We've only been on a cruise and determined it was a complete dump. At least the parts we saw going back and forth to Paradise Island. I am sure there are some beautiful parts of the island but we saw enough to make us not want to ever return.

I will say though I saw where Nassau was looking to improve their cruise port because they know how many people stay on the ship when it docks there. They want people to start coming off the ship and spending money. It's going to take a lot of work though.

If they could get the local hustlers to back off it would help much more than upgrading the facilities (though that would be nice as well). The “welcome” provided in the first few minutes of your first visit to Nassau is extremely off putting to many Americans. I couldn’t care less if I never get there again.

However, back to the op, a few things to keep in mind. Paradise is a fantasy class ship. The two larger Carnival ships will probably be the nicest of the 5 you mentioned. If the prices were very close I’d pick one of those. However, for your first cruise there is nothing wrong with starting small. Why are you unsure about Fantasy class? Often they are priced lower than newer ships and provide excellent value for your dollar.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by KmomChicago

5 Day Western Caribbean

My choice, I love Tampa as an Embarkation port and Key West and Cozumel as stops. Been on the Paradise twice.

I agree with this and you get 3 sea days but if you want more beach time [excluding Nassau], then go with

5 Day Eastern Caribbean

Have a great cruise.

:)

Since you can only go that week and you need to fly anyway, I would try to extend it to a 7 day instead of a 5 day. Two options are 6/9 Glory out of Miami going to Grand Turk, Amber Cove, San Juan and St Thomas. Or the Pride on 6/10 out of Baltimore to Grand Turk, HMC and Freeport. I would lean towards the Glory since all four ports do not necessitate expensive excursions and you can probably find cheaper flights into either Fort Lauderdale or Miami. FLL is a hub of both Southwest and Jet Blue. If it had to be one on your list, I would go with the Conquest, since it's the largest, but since you don't like the ports, I guess the Paradise since it's coming out of dry dock. But, if there's any way to do the Glory......

I'd choose for the follow two:

5 Day Eastern Caribbean

Going to: Nassau (Great for a historical tour, or a visit to a cool zoo)

Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk- both good beach days and Grand Turk has some fun excursion options.

5 Day Western Caribbean

Going to: Ocho Rios (Dunn River Falls or a beach day. BUT be aware that State Dept has issued a travel warning and there are some places that US govt personnel are prohibited from going.) {https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/jamaica-travel-advisory.html}

Grand Cayman

I like the Key West/Cozumel itinerary, which narrows my preference to Paradise and Majesty. From there, it's basically a flip of the coin because these ships are so old.

I would lean toward Majesty though. I think the ship is a little nicer. Although, if you go with Majesty, I highly recommend booking a deck 9 Oceanview. Rooms on Majesty are tiny, but on deck 9, they are much larger and have a small couch.

Fantasy class is my favorite class of ship, since you have not cruised before, why would you say you don't want to be on a Fantasy class ship? I would choose any ship though that goes to HMC. If you are a beach person.

I also love Key West, and Cozumel has great snorkeling. When I saw that cruise from Tampa, I almost decided to go check it out for my DH and I. But since we are cruising in May, that wouldn't work with our finances:loudcry:

Good luck on your decision. Enjoy your first cruise!

These are the only two I would consider:

5 Day Eastern Caribbean

5 Day Western Caribbean

Going to: Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman

I don't love Nassau, but it can be fun for short jaunt. The Conquest is one of my fave ships, but you mentioned you don't love it. I love the beach and all of these ports have great beaches to explore in June.

I agree with this and you get 3 sea days but if you want more beach time [excluding Nassau], then go with

5 Day Eastern Caribbean

Have a great cruise.

:)

Fully agree

I would pick Ecstasy or Conquest because: both are 5 days and the itineraries are better. I am not a fan of Key West for a cruise destination. It smelled like trash and vomit to me and all they talked about is the billion bars that were there, but we were there in the morning, so it was less appealing. And its still Florida. Cozumel is my fav port of all, but so many cruises go there, you will get there eventually.

Based upon Itinerary alone I would say Ecstasy because it has Grand Turk and HMC. Have not been to either of them but people rave about them. As far as ship goes, I would slightly prefer Conquest, because it is Conquest class vs. Fantasy class, but it looks like they have done some upgrades to Ecstasy. A lot of fantasy class ships don't have much in the way of balcony so if you are set on a balcony, you might pick Conquest.

Did you look at 7 day cruises? Sometimes they are not that much more and there are more options.