Not going well on Sun cruise .

patannel

My dh with severe asthma that is easily triggered would probably require medivac if the fumes are this bad.

If only a handful are complaining that's one thing..but large numbers?

Op...what exactly is a large number?

10 pax?

Or a mass of pax converging in the atrium to complain to guest services?

I'm not being snarky but I'd like to know. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were told when a ship is going into dry dock they run supplies down, so them running out early in the cruise IMO has everything to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yup and that's why I only book ships that have several scheduled cruises happening ...before mine..and...after mine

Well, the OP said the Captain "didn't know" with reference to a statement that "no one knew before boarding", and another poster stated that the Captain got on at the start of this cruise, so I take it to mean he did not know before taking over, what was being done, since his relief was onboard and dealing with it and with corporate. Most of us don't pay any attention to the ship when we are on vacation, since we spend half our lives there, we could care less about it the other half.

In threads like this I start reading and anticipate your trustworthy response. Thank you.

To OP, I am sorry about that. I am someone who does not react well to fumes I get horrible headaches. So, I feel for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been on 2 ships straight out of drydock and won't do that again. We got on late (after 4pm) as some contractors were still being removed and had to go thru customs prior to leaving the ship... All 1200 of them, none being Americans! Once onboard there was still carpet being laid, some bars the first day/night were not open because they were installing stuff, other stuff.

Nope not good at all...

I've been on 2 ships straight out of drydock and won't do that again. We got on late (after 4pm) as some contractors were still being removed and had to go thru customs prior to leaving the ship... All 1200 of them, none being Americans! Once onboard there was still carpet being laid, some bars the first day/night were not open because they were installing stuff, other stuff.

Nope not good at all...

In The Sun's case, She is going into dry dock at the end of this cruise. Sounds like some of the work is getting started early.

In The Sun's case, She is going into dry dock at the end of this cruise. Sounds like some of the work is getting started early.

I heard the same on the 2 we went on after Dry dock... some of the staff were hired to stay thru the process and stated they start on the previous cruise doing "out of the way" stuff.

I had a group of friends go on a Carnival ship that was going in for a major upgrade. Part of it was the existing pool slide had to come down, the 2 last cruises had 1/2 of the pool area closed off and steps/slide being taken down using welding and grinding... sparks flying everywhere.

Daily Service Charges CAN NO LONGER be removed on board. You have to fill out a form send it to the Corporate Office in Miami. IF they approve you will get your DSC refunded. If they send you a check it might take 6 to 8 weeks or more.

Not true. It's been reported that it's back to be done onboard.

Personally I liked the idea of sending to corporate though. You email them the form, they give you a refund. Case closed. So what if you wait 8 weeks?

Btw when they went to that method I knew immediately that they would stop and go back to the old way.

Edited by maggie cruises

Yep, let's definitely punish the waiters, the housekeepers, the bartenders... They totally have anything to do with the "hazardous" conditions. Their families totally don't rely on their meager wages, which the cruise lines keep low because they're not affected by it. (In case you're not able to read sarcasm, that was all sarcasm, except the bit about the wages kept low...)

These people have ZERO bargaining power.

You're the worst kind of traveler if you're trying to save a buck on the backs of these poor people.

Go to NCL directly. Stop spending your money with them. But do NOT hurt the crew because of it...

Wrong not trying to save a buck. Just getting ncl to listen and feel the pain. After you leave the ship and pay your dsc Ncl has zero reason to listen to you.

Crew will be fine because only a few will remove dsc but still ncl will notice

IF...and I said..IF I chose to remove dsc IF I were on this cruise...I would tell ncl EXACTLY why I removed dsc

Oh and I would state it to them in such a way that they would completely understand...how you ask?

Clearly...concisely...and accurately...NOT ...loudly and obnoxiously.

Not true. It's been reported that it's back to be done onboard.

Personally I liked the idea of sending to corporate though

I have not been in this situation in a long time--last time Guest Services handed out forms and got yelled at louder. Not their fault for following instructions.

I hope that those complaining on this cruise are a small minority of the passenger count. Like any remodeling project this will take longer than originally planned.

I was just looking at the recent reviews yesterday, because I wanted to see what was said about the “around the horns”...we have one booked for next year. It appears that the onboard refurbishment has been going on for some time. One of the “around the horn” cruise reviews mentioned it.

There are some pictures in the reviews that give a bit of an idea of what was going on.

I am currently on the Sun. We have been advised by ship staff that it is a construction zone. Access to public space is severely limited. There is no access to half the muster stations and lifeboats which seems to be a violation of safety laws. Decks we CAN access are fillled with toxic fumes and dust. Many passengers are suffering from eye irritations. Ship is dirty and unsafe. The Observation Lounge was packed (sitting room for 300 and many standing) with concerned passengers on Sunday and the captain showed no leadership, said safety standards are being enforced (which is blatantly false) and refused to accept responsibility for any issues. He stormed out after about 3 minutes to loud boos from all the passengers. I’d recommend that you reconsider any cruising with NCL.

He stormed out after about 3 minutes to loud boos from all the passengers.
I certaily understand that folks on the ship are upset by the conditions, but do they really think that booing the Captain (and I would venture to guess some were yelling at him as well) is classy, professional and is something that is going to make him an advocate for them to corporate, especially since he didn't make the decision to do this work.

I certaily understand that folks on the ship are upset by the conditions, but do they really think that booing the Captain (and I would venture to guess some were yelling at him as well) is classy, professional and is something that is going to make him an advocate for them to corporate, especially since he didn't make the decision to do this work.

He is the face of NCL on the ship and is representing corporate. Sometimes the old saying of "Don't shoot the messenger" is followed by a BANG.

If these conditions are without exaggeration I would be livid also.

He is the face of NCL on the ship and is representing corporate. Sometimes the old saying of "Don't shoot the messenger" is followed by a BANG.

If these conditions are without exaggeration I would be livid also.

I would be upset as well, but know that corporate makes the decisions and the Captain can be my best advocate to corporate, but if I were him and was yelled at and booed...well, just put yourself in his shoes.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with how the Captain was treated. He was given the opportunity to acknowledge the problems with a group of passengers who are exceptionally upset and he completely misread the mood. My sympathies lie with the passengers who have paid a large amount of money for a cruise that is substandard. The blame for this goes with NCL's Head Office who have scheduled this construction knowing that passengers will be on board the ship. If they accepted responsibility and made some sort of statement to the passengers it might calm the situation down. But as of yet they have not done that.

Hmm my upcoming Star TA has dry dock after, fingers crossed. As long as they run out of mixers and not the hard stuff

I am on the Star TA as well and with 8 sea days, 9 if you include embarkation day, I will be livid if large parts of the ship are a construction zone.

I am currently on the Sun. We have been advised by ship staff that it is a construction zone. Access to public space is severely limited. There is no access to half the muster stations and lifeboats which seems to be a violation of safety laws. Decks we CAN access are fillled with toxic fumes and dust. Many passengers are suffering from eye irritations. Ship is dirty and unsafe. The Observation Lounge was packed (sitting room for 300 and many standing) with concerned passengers on Sunday and the captain showed no leadership, said safety standards are being enforced (which is blatantly false) and refused to accept responsibility for any issues. He stormed out after about 3 minutes to loud boos from all the passengers. I’d recommend that you reconsider any cruising with NCL.

That is totally unbelievable. Ncl should have cancelled this cruise

Ncl should be refunding all the pax

No I'm not litigious nor do I ask for anything I'm not entitled to but the fact is that none of the pax on this ship are getting the cruise they booked.

However, they are getting a dangerous health issue cruise with a captain that was thrown to the lions by ncl

Ncl this is a disgrace !!!

In more ways than 1

That is totally unbelievable. Ncl should have cancelled this cruise

Ncl should be refunding all the pax

No I'm not litigious nor do I ask for anything I'm not entitled to but the fact is that none of the pax on this ship are getting the cruise they booked.

However, they are getting a dangerous health issue cruise with a captain that was thrown to the lions by ncl

Ncl this is a disgrace !!!

In more ways than 1

Gee... seems to very similar to how the Captain and NCL management reacted to passengers complaints on the NCL Star cruise from HK to Sydney with known engine problems in Jan-Feb 2017 which I was on!... And here I am going on the Sun for the Panama Canal cruise after coming out of dry dock! I guess we should bring our own masks!

The cruise is for 15 days and goes from Miami to Los Angeles via the Panama Canal with stops in Colombia, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala and Mexico.

I’ve uploaded 2 photos showing the muster stations closed as well as the doors to the muster stations. When I asked Guest Services what I should do if there was an emergency, I was told that they would “probably” open the deck that was closed. Someone else was told that the captain would allocate new muster locations and advise us (no doubt while he was trying to stop the boat from sinking) and someone else was told to all go to random muster stations on the side of the ship that was open. I don’t know what the point of the mandatory emergency drill was on day 1.

I believe that the proof of great customer service isn’t found when things go right, but found when things go wrong. In this case NCL has failed dismally and should be ashamed of themselves.

33D03A0A-7502-4E15-89B3-70B5043E08CC.jpeg.93312ab65f027d0dfc0d317360751dde.jpeg

31688C30-F268-436B-85BF-C0C2F12A6F0A.jpeg.41d57346eef624b42b26fbabb6d7f0db.jpeg