Not going well on Sun cruise .

patannel

Oh my the crew onboard is totally clueless and just goes to show that they will say anything to pax and really can't be trusted. Yeah right they have 12 kids back home to support. Lol

What's sad is that ncl will never be called to task on this fiasco

Pax will continue to book

And basically no one will ever be the wiser about your cruise other than the CC addicts like me

Most Future pax will never find out

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the POA immediately after drydock. The ship was not ready as planned and the cruise was delayed by a day. Most of us had to scramble to find lodging for an extra day in San Francisco and/or change flight plans.

When we did board the ship, it was not ready for passengers. Many areas were roped off and unusable for the 5 days it took to reach Hawaii.

When we had our Meet and Greet, many of expressed our displeasure to the Hotel Director. Over the course of the 5 days, we were promised time after time that we would be reimbursed for the extra night in San Francisco, meals, etc. and also for the conditions on board the ship. It took many months to finally receive our funds from NCL, along with a credit which could be applied to a future cruise. Try to seak out the HD. Also, you should have a cruise consultant on board as your liaison. Good luck!

The cruise is for 15 days and goes from Miami to Los Angeles via the Panama Canal with stops in Colombia, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala and Mexico.

I’ve uploaded 2 photos showing the muster stations closed as well as the doors to the muster stations. When I asked Guest Services what I should do if there was an emergency, I was told that they would “probably” open the deck that was closed. Someone else was told that the captain would allocate new muster locations and advise us (no doubt while he was trying to stop the boat from sinking) and someone else was told to all go to random muster stations on the side of the ship that was open. I don’t know what the point of the mandatory emergency drill was on day 1.

I believe that the proof of great customer service isn’t found when things go right, but found when things go wrong. In this case NCL has failed dismally and should be ashamed of themselves.

Without knowing how long these areas were/are closed, its hard to follow what is actually going on with these areas and exits. I'm sorry I don't want to add misery to what is already a concern for the guests, but by the same token the duration of this cordoning off is really the important part of this particular report.

Are you able to describe how long this was planned to occur for if you know? Did you ask at Guest Services? Did they share what the purpose was? Was any of it to allow for soemthing to pass and keep peolemout ofnharms way while doing? The areas look pretty innocuous from the photos unless I am not seeing something very relevent. In which case I do hope that someone shares their visions with me to better understand.

I hope you find some enjoyment on your cruise despite some of these issues.

We were on the POA immediately after drydock. The ship was not ready as planned and the cruise was delayed by a day. Most of us had to scramble to find lodging for an extra day in San Francisco and/or change flight plans.

When we did board the ship, it was not ready for passengers. Many areas were roped off and unusable for the 5 days it took to reach Hawaii.

When we had our Meet and Greet, many of expressed our displeasure to the Hotel Director. Over the course of the 5 days, we were promised time after time that we would be reimbursed for the extra night in San Francisco, meals, etc. and also for the conditions on board the ship. It took many months to finally receive our funds from NCL, along with a credit which could be applied to a future cruise. Try to seak out the HD. Also, you should have a cruise consultant on board as your liaison. Good luck!

Hi, OceanDreaming2. How were you notified of the delayed embarkation and how far in advance did you know you had to make other plans? Thanks you any info, I am trying to plan ahead.

The cruise is for 15 days and goes from Miami to Los Angeles via the Panama Canal with stops in Colombia, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala and Mexico.

I’ve uploaded 2 photos showing the muster stations closed as well as the doors to the muster stations. When I asked Guest Services what I should do if there was an emergency, I was told that they would “probably” open the deck that was closed. Someone else was told that the captain would allocate new muster locations and advise us (no doubt while he was trying to stop the boat from sinking) and someone else was told to all go to random muster stations on the side of the ship that was open. I don’t know what the point of the mandatory emergency drill was on day 1.

I believe that the proof of great customer service isn’t found when things go right, but found when things go wrong. In this case NCL has failed dismally and should be ashamed of themselves.

I can only comment on the two pictures posted. On previous cruises on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean, there has been an instance where the doors and walkways were closed with rope or tape similar to what is shown. This has always been a common sight when the crew is painting or cleaning the area where the lifeboats are located.

Hi, OceanDreaming2. How were you notified of the delayed embarkation and how far in advance did you know you had to make other plans? Thanks you any info, I am trying to plan ahead.

One day. Some were already in route to San Francisco. I believe some passengers went to the terminal and were told to return the next day.

Going on the RCI Mariner OTS 4/22 Dubai to Barcelona. It was originally scheduled to sail Barcelona to Miami and then Dry dock, but the TA was cancelled, so now is doing into Dry dock after we get off on 5/7. Can't wait to see what kind of bs we get on this one, with the Suez Canal and 3 ports in 15 days. Supposedly the ship is being Americanized after having been Asianized a few years ago.

Daily Service Charges CAN NO LONGER be removed on board. You have to fill out a form send it to the Corporate Office in Miami. IF they approve you will get your DSC refunded. If they send you a check it might take 6 to 8 weeks or more.

As I have said on other threads if you book from the UK you can, With the all inclusive the monies are refunded to your account in dollars or a refund directly from NCL UK.

This may be typical of NCL these days, no thought for the passengers, and sad as it may be the only way to change their behaviour is to vote with your wallet and not to cruise with them.

If you are from the UK you will get a full refund under UK consumer law because your cruise has been misrepresented in that not all areas are available and the other disruption.

Yes our consumer laws are very tough and I suggest if it go to court NCL or any other holiday provider who did not provide or advise correctly would get an adverse order.

Its sad though that these people want to go on as relaxing cruise and then this. Mind you the Epic was not even finished back in 2010 when it did the TA.

I totally agree with the informed comment that the Captain would only find out on handover.

I am not saying they are not but how do you know the fumes a "toxic".

The fact is if I were on this cruise I would be suing based on what I have read for my entire monies back and lost vacation time. NCL have failed to provide the described vacation. Nice easy win

Edited by bmwman

We were told when a ship is going into dry dock they run supplies down, so them running out early in the cruise IMO has everything to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess we will have to disagree on this. As I mentioned we have been on ships that have run out of supplies, usually the bar and it is always due to the number of guests and their dining or drinking choices. Just like going to your favorite restaurant and learning they are out of the entree you always order. The rest of the complaints I understand. This one is more what you think than based on whet any of us know for sure. That is all I have to say.:rolleyes:

My dh with severe asthma that is easily triggered would probably require medivac if the fumes are this bad.

If only a handful are complaining that's one thing..but large numbers?

Op...what exactly is a large number?

10 pax?

Or a mass of pax converging in the atrium to complain to guest services?

I'm not being snarky but I'd like to know. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

very good point.

We were on the same trip as OD2 and her DH.

In our case, we flew out Monday for a Tuesday departure from SFO on POA. While at airport for first flight checked our CC roll call and found out about it. We did have a phone call on home recorder when we got home which was late that afternoon on Monday so about 18 hours in advance.

We never got any emails or call on cell. I did check my profile on my NCL and it did have cell number in profile as well as email address. And of course, I get promo emails every day but not a notice about delay in ship. I would have to check but I don't think they even posted an alert on the main NCL page about it.

CC is your friend in these cases.

I don't see anything "closed" in the photos. I see access limited, but if there were an emergency those stations are completely usable. It seems that they are refinishing the decks which explains why they don't want people on them.

Seems to be much ado about very little.

I don't see anything "closed" in the photos. I see access limited, but if there were an emergency those stations are completely usable. It seems that they are refinishing the decks which explains why they don't want people on them.

Seems to be much ado about very little.

I was thinking the same thing, "caution" tape isn't much of a physical barrier.

As I have said on other threads if you book from the UK you can, With the all inclusive the monies are refunded to your account in dollars or a refund directly from NCL UK.

Do they still have the daily service charges as a line item on your bill, even though it's included?

Sorry I did not answer your question fully. I think we learned of the delay through our CC rollcall. Someone posted they'd received a text notice from NCL (I think) and they posted the info on the rollcall. They posted a contact number for NCL. That number did no good after the cruise when we were trying to sort out the refund/credit.

Sorry I did not answer your question fully. I think we learned of the delay through our CC rollcall. Someone posted they'd received a text notice from NCL (I think) and they posted the info on the rollcall. They posted a contact number for NCL. That number did no good after the cruise when we were trying to sort out the refund/credit.

Mary, thank you for both of your responses. As you and dexddd noted, I need to watch our RollCall.

We were on the same trip as OD2 and her DH.

In our case, we flew out Monday for a Tuesday departure from SFO on POA. While at airport for first flight checked our CC roll call and found out about it. We did have a phone call on home recorder when we got home which was late that afternoon on Monday so about 18 hours in advance.

We never got any emails or call on cell. I did check my profile on my NCL and it did have cell number in profile as well as email address. And of course, I get promo emails every day but not a notice about delay in ship. I would have to check but I don't think they even posted an alert on the main NCL page about it.

CC is your friend in these cases.

Thank you for your detailed info. This will help me plan.

Let's see more photos of the construction zone and disaster areas on the Sun. Many of us are interested to get a better understanding of the complaints being raised here.

Theres got to be more than just those two pictures.........

That is nothing. There is nothing impeding the use of the muster stations "IF" needed.

What about all the public areas in chaos and dust that were described.

Also there is like 5 different cruises/cruiselines in this discussion of the Sun. Hard to follow which is which and stay on topic.

Forget the access to muster stations. They were told the ship is basically a construction zone, there are fumes affecting passengers who are racking up medical bills and having asthma attacks...I mean come on. Fight for everything you can get back. They have a lot of rights as far as itinerary changes etc but they really don’t have the right to compromise anyone’s health.

I saw four pictures on a member review that showed the upper pool deck (deck 12) on one side completely blocked off and it looked like they were sanding it down for refinishing. Closing off half the upper pool deck seems like a bit of a big deal on a smaller ship like the Sun. Champs bar was also closed (though it seemed like it was only open on sea days when I was on the Sun).

I understand your frustration but it isn't the fault of the construction they ran out of some mixes. We had that happen one time when they ran out of our favorite wine. More than anything this is another reason for not sailing during spring break unless you have to. We try to avoid sailing from the first week in March til a week after Easter.

Pretty sure NCL knew it was spring break... not an excuse to be out of staples.